homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2013 (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2013
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surprised nobody's posted this yet - or maybe that's because everyone but me is doing something useful with their time.

Enjoy! (I trust that's not the new costume either ... [Ultra confused] )

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oo-er, I'm getting excited [Yipee] - when's the new series starting?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been spending my time listening to some of the adventures of the Eighth Doctor from Big Finish. Max Warp was fun, in particular, basically being Top Gear with space ships, complete with sexist, un-politically correct presenter and a co-presenter called the Ferret.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure if this link will be any use to international Shippies.

Was given it by another of the collective who attend BBC shows.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had a couple of links to that upthread, I believe. I can't load any of them: all I get is the sound.
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I get the sound on that, and I'm not always getting sound on Youtube at the moment.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did anyone catch this evening's opening episode of The Musketeers, with Peter Capaldi as Cardinal Richlieu? Confirmed my impression that he is a serious actor - intense, subtle, and sometimes not a little scary.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm planning to watch it on iplayer later in the week. It wouldn't be the first time the Doctor's had an evil double in Renaissance France.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Did anyone catch this evening's opening episode of The Musketeers, with Peter Capaldi as Cardinal Richlieu? Confirmed my impression that he is a serious actor - intense, subtle, and sometimes not a little scary.

Not sure what to make of it, there were times when I thought it had changed things trying to be funny/dark/'adult'/etc and succeeding well but not as well as if they'd kept to the book (perhaps telling what was shown in the book) at the equivalent point.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I saw that and enjoyed it – some of it was a good laugh. Not quite sure what direction it’s going in, but Peter Capaldi was pleasingly evil. It bodes well for the new series.
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I quite enjoyed it too. They said that it wasn't based on the Dumas stories but were new ones, but that's ok. It was fun, easily watchable Sunday evening entertainment (some nice eye candy [Biased] ) and Capaldi was nicely villainous.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As the Guardian reviewer suggested, it appears aimed at the same demographic as Merlin and Atlantis. Plus 40 year odd TV reviewers.

So that's at least three young male targeted series, more if you add in Sherlock and Who.

I would welcome something for the Buffy audience - and since some writers have been heard to say that they admire Whedon, I don't see why they can't do it. That audience may like the male eye candy, but we have already been shown the outcome for the women in the stories.

Fidelma, maybe? Or the adventures of the young Cartimandua, a completely open field? Or the story of the Lady of the Mercians (checked out with Michael Wood)? There must be something out there for the grubby buckling of swashes with decent parts for women.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Photo of clothes. Not quite convinced by the pose.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Photo of clothes. Not quite convinced by the pose.

Maybe this is an iPad thing, but the main part of the page is just blank.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's probably just an iPad thing. The main part of the page has a black background with text in white letters.

I'm not convinced by the pose either.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Guardian: same photo but larger.

When I go to the BBC page I linked to now, it's misbehaving as Firenze says.

[ 27. January 2014, 21:18: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very nice. Hints of the first three Doctors, I thought. And is he wearing French cuffs and a cardigan? Superb! And Doc Marten brogues too. It's a lesson in how to have style without having a style.

But don't you think he looks a bit ... well ... dangerous?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I can't work out whether the accompanying music is "You ain't nothing but a Time Lord" or "Let's do the Time Warp again".

Btw, the BBC page is still black with white text but the photo and article have disappeared. Time of page amendment, two minutes ago so presumably someone else found something amiss with it.

[ 28. January 2014, 05:13: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, they've fixed it now.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't like the trousers. Pity they can't have him in Richelieu's leathers.
Do like the jacket.

Back to 17th century France - the writers claim in Radio Times to have written strong part for women. Out of five so far, two are dead, and of the other three, if they do cling in any way to the original, two are going to be dead. Not that good, then. And all of them are exhibiting their individuality and strength by being sexually loose. (OK, the Queen hasn't misbehaved with Buckingham, yet, but has shown signs of adulterous thoughts.) I don't see that Dumas' women were all that different (in being mere eye-candy) - certainly not Milady de Winter.

[ 28. January 2014, 09:29: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently Doctor Who fans in the know are comparing the new look to Pertwee.

I believe it prudent to hold ones expectations about the new Doctor in check (well, speaking for myself anyway). I believe his class shown acting in previous roles are making expectations so high (I mean, Malcolm Tucker was an utterly excellent character, but nowhere near that of Doctor Who) that it's questionable whether they are realistic.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
Apparently Doctor Who fans in the know are comparing the new look to Pertwee.

I was picking up a hint of Pertwee, too, but I suspect that is, in part, because of the hair color. And they both have distinctive faces. Oh, and Pertwee, too, was made to pose in all sorts of stupid poses.

And, if my memory is working this morning, when Pertwee first started his clothes were pretty similar to the new costume. More sedate and restrained--but then they became more flamboyant over time, with ruffled shirts and green coats, etc., in part because Jon Pertwee could look elegant wearing almost anything.

Personally, I think I liked Capaldi more wearing Smith's last outfit, but if Doctor Who has taught me anything it is to wait and see. I have changed a number of my first impressions once I see the actual shows.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Very nice. Hints of the first three Doctors, I thought. And is he wearing French cuffs and a cardigan? Superb! And Doc Marten brogues too. It's a lesson in how to have style without having a style.

Knitted waist coat rather than a cardi?!

Very classy! Nods to the first three - particularly Troughton's comic hobo - and to 10 and 11. And Docs!!! Nine hundred year old one probably. Docs are the cockroach of shoes, survive anything!

Tubbsg

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Not dangerous .... stern maybe. But I like the jacket with the red lining.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not keen on a closed collar with no tie, but I'm having that red lined Crombie!

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Good grief, I've just got an email from Amazon saying that season 8 with Capaldi is now available to order on dvd or Blu-ray - give the poor man time to settle into the Tardis!

...and yes, I *did* pre-order Sherlock season 3 before it aired...

[ 29. January 2014, 09:13: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The coat is nice. The shoes look odd to me, but I'm funny about shoes. It won't matter much when he's in motion and I'm not studying his footwear intently.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Capaldi gets the boot!

What? You thought I meant something else?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sort of spoiler alert.

Not sure anyone's mentioned this up to now?

New companion

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I concluded watching "The Evil of the Daleks" yesterday. It contained some absolutely boss moments, such as when a "human source" was added to some daleks, prompting them to start acting like children and questioning orders.

This video contains recon animation, but the original score is a delight.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

# 11424

This is the news.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

I am amused that stories 808 and 809 have rumored titles...but nobody confirmed to be writing them! I think it was Gervase Fen who decided to write a book called "A Manx Ca" because he liked the title--but he hadn't decided what the story would be about.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

Next series begins on 23 August - but is the Doctor a good man?

In other news, I finished my Tom Baker marathon the other day. Interesting experience. You can see him develop from being a good actor, trying out the character, to a confident "I am the Doctor" position, and then the arrogance starts kicking in. Even by his fourth season (Horror of Fang Rock to Invasion of Time) you can see him acting up and being a diva. By two years later (Destiny of the Daleks to Horns of Nimon) he's bored and being silly, and then in his last season he's worn out, looks depressed, and by partway through the season knows he's leaving. A great Doctor, though, if you can ignore his widely-alleged vile behaviour towards the people he worked with.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

So will Greenbelt screen it live somewhere? Or do those of us there have to wait till we get home (which in my case is over a week later)

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:

So will Greenbelt screen it live somewhere? Or do those of us there have to wait till we get home (which in my case is over a week later)

Carys

I'm not a Greenbelty person, but I've a vague memory it's been done before. I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere - Shipmates with a laptop and BBC iplayer?

Meanwhile, the plot thickens. This new 'teaser' from the BBC looks like a colossal spoiler, so I assume there's more to it than meets the eye -

I see into your soul...

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't get how that can be a colossal spoiler.

Don't explain it to me, though, because maybe then it WILL be a colossal spoiler...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

The actor doing the voiceover has appeared on Doctor Who before, or is doing a convincing impression.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But surely... oh...

*realises there's no way to respond to this without meta-spoiling so backs carefully away*

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Ack, I've just watched it...no, it can't be... [Eek!]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The actor doing the voiceover has appeared on Doctor Who before, or is doing a convincing impression.

Yes, but people returning hardly counts as 'major spoiler' in my book. It's more like standard practice. Occasionally the writers seem more focused on bringing people/creatures back so the diehard fans can go all wiggy about it than on working out what to do with these characters once they're back.

Not that this is a new problem. Having now gone through 11 seasons of the 'classic' show, there have definitely been a few instances of "let's bring those guys back" that haven't been followed up with anyone asking "...why?".

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't get how that can be a colossal spoiler.

That is a spoiler??

[Snore] [Snore] [Snore]

(Unless I've missed something other than the fracking obvious, of course.)

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wasn't the version shown on TV longer than that? Somehow I was expecting a bit more.

(I've discovered I'm off on Retreat on the 23rd! That is going to be a real sacrifice.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Yes, but people returning hardly counts as 'major spoiler' in my book.
Does that mean we can talk about it now? [Biased]

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

At last, a proper trailer - now we're talking!

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

So - do you think there'll be any daleks in the upcoming series?

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If only there weren't! The Daleks are becoming as overused in nuWho, as the Master was back in Pertwee's era.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

You forgot to include the sonic screwdriver and lovelorn female assistant...

I'd love it if Captain Jack could come back for an episode.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

The sonic screwdriver is now something the show itself pokes fun at, so I don't mind it too much. Agree about the love interest though - and definitely about Captain Jack!

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Is it me, or did the Doctor say he'd lived for over 2000 years? I thought Matt Smith said he was 900 odd,so have 1000 years just happened for Peter Capaldi or what?

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:

Is it me, or did the Doctor say he'd lived for over 2000 years? I thought Matt Smith said he was 900 odd,so have 1000 years just happened for Peter Capaldi or what?

Carys

Early on, he may have said 900, but during the "OMG! They killed the Doctor!" season he wandered a lot and got to 1000-some odd (I forget the exact number. Let's say 1200.) Then, in his last episode, he was stuck in Christmas for hundreds of years (I think he may even have said 900 just for that)...so that would put the Doctor over 2000 now.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016