homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2013 (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2013
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very Good, he's got something. Very Good start. Funny, dark, many possibilities.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent start by Capaldi who gave a superb performance. Finally an actor who's actually convincing in the part and not a lightweight - comes across as more his own man, more the classic type with echoes of previous Doctors, and a hint of a darker side. Let down a bit by a plot with a daft start and silly flirting, but I'm looking forward to this new series much more than I did the last ones.

I also liked the byplay with Clara and her uncertainty about him, though wheeling in Matt Smith to persuade her to give him a chance was a bit much.

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoyed it too, and think I'll very much like the new Doctor. But topping it off at the end - Sue White from Green Wing! Oh my.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just finished watching. Highly enjoyable. There was a patch in the middle that I didn't think was quite on the same level, but on the whole I found that quite satisfying. The connection with a previous story was a nice touch, and the ending completely threw me but in an interesting way that made me want to know more.

EDIT: Oh, and my nephew and I were talking today about favourite doctors and companions (he's 13 and now thoroughly getting into the modern version of the show). I think Jenna Coleman / Clara is rapidly rising up the ranks.

[ 24. August 2014, 09:39: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ten out of ten for Capaldi, but I thought the story was a bit slow in places. Having said that, a slightly slower pace than we've had in recent years wouldn't be a bad thing.

But Capaldi - wow! I loved the anguish he gave us when he needed to have bedrooms explained. And the way his mind was working in the restaurant scene with Clara. And the chill in his voice at "I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to kill you." But then the vulnerability of "I don't think I'm a hugging person now." He's going to be amazing. Already is.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I thought the story was a bit slow in places. Having said that, a slightly slower pace than we've had in recent years wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yes and yes. I realised at some point that part of the reason I was enjoying myself is that I didn't feel rushed off my feet.

Matt Smith was actually rather good at talking rapidly and being a bit manic. The problem is that once they realised he was good at it, the writers and producers relied on it more and more.

There've been times in the last couple of years where I've felt the need to pause episodes of Doctor Who, and then rewind a little, to give myself a chance to catch up and process what's been said. The only other show where it's happened much in recent times has been Sherlock (and even there it was less of a problem).

I'm pretty quick-witted. I could follow the movie Inception all the way through and loved it. So when a show is repeatedly making me feel like I have to use the pause button, I tend to suspect it's the show's fault.

'Deep Breath' didn't ever make me think about the pause button. There were some great lines and some witty dialogue, but there were also beats and pacing. Heck, even when Capaldi was acting thoroughly bamboozled early on and scrambling people and debating the function of bedrooms, I could still follow the thoughts.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
He's going to be amazing. Already is.

Yep, it's very early days but this has the potential for a classic series in the making. Fingers crossed that he doesn't get too many daft scripts.

And it is good to have an older man back in the Tardis again and a slower pace - perhaps now they'll start to concentrate more on plot.

Jillyb
Shipmate
# 4610

- Posted      Profile for Jillyb   Email Jillyb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's gonna be good! [Yipee]

--------------------
I don't do posh!

Posts: 1034 | From: Londinium | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can't remember the exact words but Clara's 'There's nothing more important than my egomania' and the look on her face when she realised what she had said was priceless.
Also the Doctor having to tell the dinosaur that he wasn't flirting was good.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It could be excellent.

I expect some episodes to be excellent. Others less so. Id all depends on the performances, the production and the writing. I think we can expect the first two as a given, the companion/Doctor scene in the restaurant showed how good the leads are. It all depends on the writing which will vary as ever.

When you don't realise how ridiculous the plot is until after the episode has finished, these are the good episodes.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
I thought the story was a bit slow in places. Having said that, a slightly slower pace than we've had in recent years wouldn't be a bad thing.

Yes and yes. I realised at some point that part of the reason I was enjoying myself is that I didn't feel rushed off my feet.
I agree. It was nice to have time to think about the plot and, therefore, to appreciate the little touches...like slowly finding out that none of the likely suspects put the ad in the paper.

I like the teaser that the Doctor is wondering where he saw his face before. Anybody fancy another trip to Pompeii? (Although I guess the family was in Rome when last we saw them...)

What didn't set quite as well for me was Clara having such a trouble with the regeneration. This is the Impossible Girl...the one who was in the Doctor's lifeline and saw his previous incarnations. The one who, not too long ago, was having tea with three Doctors at once. You'd think she'd be able to accept regeneration a lot easier than the average companion...especially as she saw it happen right in front of her.

As for future episodes, I am a little worried about the next one just based on the title. "Into the Dalek" feels a little too much like "Journey to the Center of the TARDIS"--a clunky title rarely inspires confidence in me. It is to be hoped that I am wrong ("I didn't say that it was your error.").

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Finally seen it. Enjoyed it very much, and hope Capaldi is allowed to be as good as he was here, without being drowned in buckets of Moffat-sentimentality. However, I was not impressed by the new titles, or Tardis interior. Maybe I should start a protest:
"What do we want?"
"Proper Who titles""
"When do we want them?"
"Yesterday!"

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Never mind that, what does your kid think? I have been eager for his review. [Big Grin]

( haven't seen it yet, laid up ill, waiting for sufficient brain cells.)

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Nobody so far has mentioned the new intro and theme tune at the start. I thought the opening sequence was quite attractive, though the music seemed a bit removed from the previous theme tunes.

I liked the new interior - very smart and so much nicer than the previous one.

[ 24. August 2014, 21:56: Message edited by: Ariel ]

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
What didn't set quite as well for me was Clara having such a trouble with the regeneration. This is the Impossible Girl...the one who was in the Doctor's lifeline and saw his previous incarnations. The one who, not too long ago, was having tea with three Doctors at once. You'd think she'd be able to accept regeneration a lot easier than the average companion...especially as she saw it happen right in front of her.

I think, perhaps, it wasn't that she couldn't cope with the concept of the new Doctor. It was that she couldn't cope with the notion that 'her' Doctor was gone - other Doctors were fine so long as they didn't exclude the presence of hers.

Also, I really liked the new title sequence.

[ 24. August 2014, 22:18: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I also liked the new title sequence, Orfeo.

I watched it last night at the end of a weekend of a nasty stomach bug. I enjoyed it but missed bits due to afore mentioned bug. Some of them floated over my head and left me wondering about where I had seen them before.

All was resolved when I slept. I had a complicated dream of the Doctor rescuing nurses killed when the Marquette was torpedoed. Not only did he resurrect the nurses but he evacuated Anzac Nurses from the island of Lemnos in the Tardis. One big muddle of history and Doctor Who.

I did like first sight of the new doctor.

[ 25. August 2014, 01:10: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Anzac Nurses? Well, I clearly know what other program you watched last night!

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The new opening graphics were okay. I don't love them, but I don't hate them. The new version of the theme music, though, is poor. I think I can say that I hate it. But, to put that into perspective, I firmly believe that the best version of the theme music was the first one from 1963, so any new version was not likely to impress me.

orfeo, you are probably right about Clara just having problems with losing "her" doctor. That really was the point of both the veil metaphor and Capaldi's "you can't see me" comment.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OK, third time lucky. I've written 2 posts and lost them both when I tried to preview them. So this time, it'll be shorter and no previewing!

Macarius & I went to the Odeon Leicester Square to see it. All the extra bits (q-and-a session, extra bit with Paternoster Gang, cyberman roaming the cinema etc) all fun. But episode itself came over much better on tv at home.

I didn't quite believe Clara's inability to accept the Doctor either, but assume Moffat was aiming this at the fangirl audience who didn't want an older Doctor.

I thought the dinosaur in Victorian London was a great idea but more could have been made of it; Moffat said that that was the first bit he thought of, simply as a hook to start the episode. I was genuinely shocked at its fate.

I like the new credits too but for me, no music can match up to the original in its weirdness and other-worldliness. That could be my age.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Phantom Flan Flinger
Shipmate
# 8891

- Posted      Profile for The Phantom Flan Flinger   Author's homepage   Email The Phantom Flan Flinger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've put a few thoughts on my blog - link in sig.

--------------------
http://www.faith-hope-and-confusion.com/

Posts: 1020 | From: Leicester, England | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I quite like the new start and I am told by my son that the new music is more theraminy (sp?)so he likes it.
So far I am loving having an older Doctor. I liked the flirting with, and marriage to, River Song but have never felt comfortable with flirting with a companion for some reason. Peter Capaldi is hitting all my needed Doctor spots so far - a bit manic, impatient with others who don't understand, has a dark side (did he push?) but mainly just really excited by whatever is happening around him.
Sooo looking forward to next week.

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My nearly five year old grandson is struggling with the idea on a new doctor, I think it is just that he is different, not that he is older, so we looked together at some pictures of all the previous Doctors and I explained about regeneration. He seemed to accept it but I guess Matt Smith will always be his Doctor, just as his little Brother's will always be Peter Capaldi.

We both enjoyed the episode, I liked it on many levels, he loved the dinosaur and Strax

I really liked the new introduction.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tessaB:
I quite like the new start and I am told by my son that the new music is more theraminy (sp?)so he likes it.

[tangent] Is this what your son means? I think it's fascinating![/tangent]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

I think so, he loves it ever since seeing Bill Bailey play one. It looks bloody difficult to play so it may just be a synth on the soundtrack!

--------------------
tessaB
Holiday cottage near Rye

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched.

Capaldi's going to be good but this wasn't great. It was OK. Plenty of jokes. A few too many at times I thought. But the plot was a thin excuse for steam punk zombies and a dinosaur - and why not I guess.

I liked the stuff with Clara struggling with the new regeneration. That's important, a thematic line needs to be drawn. The open secret (the one everyone over 8 gets) is that the new Doctor is a "new" Doctor and the show always inflects itself a little in that direction whilst maintaining the "truth" that he's the same person. Anyway, it was done using some pathos rather than simply humour, which in turn gave Capaldi a chance to show us something.

So overall, it was a fairly enjoyable romp, nothing too special and decent enough introduction to what I'm sure will be a great Doctor.

But it's no Fish Custard.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
My nearly five year old grandson is struggling with the idea on a new doctor, I think it is just that he is different, not that he is older, so we looked together at some pictures of all the previous Doctors and I explained about regeneration. He seemed to accept it but I guess Matt Smith will always be his Doctor, just as his little Brother's will always be Peter Capaldi.

We both enjoyed the episode, I liked it on many levels, he loved the dinosaur and Strax

I really liked the new introduction.

Tell him Aunt Kelly says " I know! I know!" Given the huge amount of kid appeal the guy has, I imagine there are many kids out there getting the regeneration talk.

As Late Paul says, I do think it helps to be allowed a little transitional pathos-- both in terms if getting over it and acknowledging what the new incarnation faces, in story.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Capaldi will be good, I think. Still waiting for a female Doctor. (pout)

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I kind of suspect more timelords ( gender- or even species- nonspecific) are on the horizon, as well as their Tardii.

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just never could get into the Matt Smith doctor, but I've ponied up for a season pass on iTunes for the new one. Love Peter Capaldi. "Who frowned this face?" Wow.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As a veteran (Tom Baker was 'my doctor') I know how the kids are feeling. At the start of 10, Rose said so bluntly what we all thought every time - "ooh, not sure, can we go back?" I think the phone call in this ep was speaking directly to those distraught kids.

I think Capaldi will be wonderful. I've always found something to love in all the Doctors. Splendid chaps, all of them.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I don't remember any of the classic series ever having a transitional phase where the previous Doctor appeared to the companion and implored her to accept his new incarnation. My personal feeling is that it was unnecessary. Clara should have pulled her socks up and got on with it like all the other companions - yes some uncertainty was a good touch but she didn't need to have her hand held and a reassuring phone call. IMO.
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree with Ariel and thought it was a mistake to have Matt Smith come back. Clara annoyed me intensely in this episode.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every Doctor is different and every transition is different. The important thing is to have one. Since Smith's Doctor was very definitely flirty with Clara I think it was a fair call to make an emphatic statement that this is going to be a break from that.

But I guess I can see why some people might not enjoy that. At least it wasn't Tennant's 'long goodbye'!

Mind you, if you didn't like that aspect of it, well from what Jenna Coleman was saying in that interview linked to earlier, it's not something they're done with yet.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I don't remember any of the classic series ever having a transitional phase where the previous Doctor appeared to the companion and implored her to accept his new incarnation. My personal feeling is that it was unnecessary. Clara should have pulled her socks up and got on with it like all the other companions - yes some uncertainty was a good touch but she didn't need to have her hand held and a reassuring phone call. IMO.

Yes, when Matt made his phone call, I felt by that time that he was an intruder. But Peter's follow-up line, "Can't you just ... just see me?" was a real heartbreaker. I watched the whole thing again last night, and found my finger twitching on the fast-forward button whenever he wasn't on the screen. He's brilliant.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I noticed one major script error, right at the end after the android has fallen to his death on Big Ben (which is in Parliament SQUARE) Madame Vastra says they are searching for the Doctor on Parliament HILL which is several miles away!

But maybe Stephen Moffatt isn't a Londoner.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Capaldi was excellent, the story... somewhat less so. I don't think it found the right balance between light and dark - lots of the jokes were very silly (even for Doctor Who), which seemed at odds with the body horror and more serious Doctor.

Vastra, Jenny and Strax are wearing a bit thin for me. I just don't find them believable as characters. The story seemed rather recycled, but redeemed itself by making the Doctor interesting and developing Clara's character properly.

I've written a full review over on the Hodderscape blog: http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/?p=5239

Who do you all think Missy is, by the way?

[ 26. August 2014, 12:25: Message edited by: The Revolutionist ]

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I noticed one major script error, right at the end after the android has fallen to his death on Big Ben (which is in Parliament SQUARE) Madame Vastra says they are searching for the Doctor on Parliament HILL which is several miles away!

But maybe Stephen Moffatt isn't a Londoner.

Possibly it was an error, but at the time my impression was that Parliament Hill was where the balloon landed (a distance away from where the android landed). It would make sense that they were searching for the Doctor in the area of the balloon rather than the area of the android.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

If you'll allow me a tangent of several decades... I'm halfway through watching The Seeds of Doom this week. I know I saw at least some of it in my childhood, but... it's a cracker! This is season 13 of classic Who, and still Douglas Camfield manages to elevate any story he directs.

--------------------

Acurisur
Apprentice
# 18151

- Posted      Profile for Acurisur     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am very much looking forward to Peter Capaldi's tenure in the Tardis. I wasn't a big fan of Matt Smith or David Tennant but loved Christopher Eccleston and I think Capaldi could be very, very good indeed. He kind of reminds me of my own favourite Doctor (the one who was the Doctor when I first started watching), Tom Baker. I do think Capaldi could be as good as "Doctor No.4" if he gets some good scripts. However, I was less impressed with his debut episode, which I thought was weak. Not Capaldi's fault mind, I think the script let him down. But it's only the first episode so I'm sure the scripts will get better.

The new theme tune is rubbish but the graphics were fine.

--------------------
Jesus Rules!

Posts: 8 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Acurisur:
He kind of reminds me of my own favourite Doctor (the one who was the Doctor when I first started watching), Tom Baker.

I was getting huge dollops of Baker T, starting with the whole rambling flow-of-consciousness post regeneration sequence, very similar to the 4th Doctor's. (Including Madame Vastra's otherwise inexplicable "here we go again"; why would she say that as she's never seen a regeneration before?)

quote:

Indeed. The tune is the weakest of the NuWho set; not quite on a par with the Trial of a Time Lord travesty, but damn close. Now that we have titles that emphasise the series is about a Time Lord I do hope we get plenty of adventures in which he travels in time rather than hanging around our present day - the biggest weakness of NuWho to date.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
quote:

Indeed. The tune is the weakest of the NuWho set; not quite on a par with the Trial of a Time Lord travesty, but damn close. Now that we have titles that emphasise the series is about a Time Lord I do hope we get plenty of adventures in which he travels in time rather than hanging around our present day - the biggest weakness of NuWho to date.
Has anyone noted here yet that the new title sequence was actually made by a fan? This is something I never, ever say (well, hardly ever), but ... how cool is that?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
Capaldi was excellent, the story... somewhat less so. I don't think it found the right balance between light and dark - lots of the jokes were very silly (even for Doctor Who), which seemed at odds with the body horror and more serious Doctor.

Vastra, Jenny and Strax are wearing a bit thin for me. I just don't find them believable as characters. The story seemed rather recycled, but redeemed itself by making the Doctor interesting and developing Clara's character properly.

I've written a full review over on the Hodderscape blog: http://www.hodderscape.co.uk/?p=5239

Who do you all think Missy is, by the way?

Thanks for posting that link to your blog. I liked it.
I found Missy dancing around the garden very peculiar.
Episodes 11 & 12, starring Michelle Gomez, are titled Dark Water/Death In Heaven, so we are probably going to have to wait to find out - but I very much doubt if the garden is Heaven. In the Radio Times, a thumbnail shows Capaldi and Missy with him gripping her arm in what looks remarkably like a hold I was taught for dealing with difficult children, their heads leaning towards each other, him looking at the camera, half smiling, her with a very fixed expression, and her bracelet in her right hand. There are people passing along behind them. The text says:
quote:
"You betrayed me. You betrayed my trust, our friendship, and everything I've ever stood for. You let me down."
without attributing this to a speaker. It then goes on to say:
quote:
In the mysterious world of the Nethersphere plans have been drawn. Old friends and old enemies manoeuvre around the Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming before him. Death is not an end, promises the sinister organisation known only as 3W - but as the Doctor and Clara discover, you might wish it was.
The episode is written by Moffat. Apart from making me thing of sellotape, this sounds irritatingly like Torchwood.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
think
Don't know what happened there - g isn't anywhere near k.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I was getting huge dollops of Baker T, starting with the whole rambling flow-of-consciousness post regeneration sequence, very similar to the 4th Doctor's. (Including Madame Vastra's otherwise inexplicable "here we go again"; why would she say that as she's never seen a regeneration before?)

It's EXACTLY what Brigadier L-S said at the beginning of an earlier regeneration - Baker to Davison I think.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Acurisur
Apprentice
# 18151

- Posted      Profile for Acurisur     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can't wait for next weeks episode. Capaldi vs The Daleks should make for some epic television.

--------------------
Jesus Rules!

Posts: 8 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:

I was very much reminded of Davison and how he had to be carried into the Zero Room on regeneration. That of course got jettisoned from the Tardis at some earlier stage, otherwise they could just have put Capaldi in there for a bit.

I agree with whoever said that the Vastra/Jenny/Strax trio were getting a bit tired. Bring back Captain Jack Harkness and River Song, that'd liven it up a bit.

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There was a WTFness to the episode, reminding me of the changeover to Troughton.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Been a while since I've watched Dr Who. Since David Tennant.

Capaldi will be a fabulous doctor, if the writing is up to the challenge. Main thing struck me was the comedy input. It seemed most characters had been given the role of providing regular one-line quips, regardless of the overall plot and action. Which is all very amusing and funny, if you can't survive forty seconds without having something 'funny' to laugh at.

Dr Who originally succeeded because - while it had some humour expressed organically, naturally, by characters - it mainly attempted to be serious sci-fi drama, albeit for kids. What I saw seemed to be a kind of comedy show with everybody wise-cracking in order to keep the laughs coming, with a backdrop of sci-fi drama and the potential for something serious lurking, if only the gags would stop for long enough. Good writing doesn't need to shoe-horn the laughs in to keep people watching.

I want to see the Doctor and the other characters as whole people, rather than be entertained by a series of quips and one-liners spoken by whoever happens to be in the scene at the time. But still good potential for something seriously watchable there.

Couldn't stand the Clara character, unfortunately. She seemed unusually dense and shallow (if that's not a contradiction!). Maybe the character worked better with the former doctor?

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, meant to say, couldn't get the lizard lady and her weird-looking butler thing. In a society where freaks were put on show or put into asylums the probability of lizard lady conversing openly with Victorians in the street, without provoking a panic or torch-wielding crowd, seems thoroughly unbelievable.

Of course, that version of Victorian London might belong to a parallel universe where such things are normal? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Oh, meant to say, couldn't get the lizard lady and her weird-looking butler thing. In a society where freaks were put on show or put into asylums the probability of lizard lady conversing openly with Victorians in the street, without provoking a panic or torch-wielding crowd, seems thoroughly unbelievable.

Of course, that version of Victorian London might belong to a parallel universe where such things are normal? [Big Grin]

I think that's a given.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016