homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2013 (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2013
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FUCK.

He will hit that out of the park.

[Gratuitous edit: How the hell do you make that a musical???)

[ 20. December 2013, 02:27: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And anyway, I wasn't necessarily talking about an acting gig. One can become involved with youth theater workshops by day and dismember one's yuppie co-workers by night, can't one? [Smile]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Big Grin] [Killing me]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
News just in... The Doctor has had a female incarnation.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love Strax!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

Hmmm - I wouldn't build too much on that. In the same report Strax also describes Rose as "an earth boy". I'm not sure human gender is his strong point.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
quote:

Hmmm - I wouldn't build too much on that. In the same report Strax also describes Rose as "an earth boy". I'm not sure human gender is his strong point.
Yeah, it sounds as a misunderstanding of Paul McGann's long hair* (I did wonder till Rose if it was an extended universe story, and before watching of course wondered if it made Fatal Death canon). Mind you it is still another chip in the wall.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I'm quite sure human gender ISN'T his strong point. It's been a recurring joke.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ADDENDUM: And in Strax's report on Christmas, he calls Jenny a boy. Again.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Well, SOME of us have been celebrating it!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No thanks. The Doctor should always be male. Start changing his gender and you lose one of the essential qualities that makes him the Doctor. It just becomes a role that can be played by any actor. He might just as well regenerate as a Sontaran next time, or that warty green lizard woman who keeps popping up.

Meanwhile, here's the average face of the Doctor - it's a curious mixture that looks oddly familiar, yet (even though you know why) it isn't easy to place why, exactly.

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Meanwhile, here's the average face of the Doctor - it's a curious mixture that looks oddly familiar, yet (even though you know why) it isn't easy to place why, exactly.

This might just be me, but I think it looks like former companion Ian Chesterton.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Adeodatus, Ian Chesterton was my immediate thought when I saw it, too.

So now we know the truth. And the Doctor's name.

And I'd always hoped that the Doctor's real name was indeed John Smith.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Ariel, I'm guessing you didn't click my link, because you seem to be riffing off of something I didn't say. Or didn't think I said.

[ 24. December 2013, 18:32: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Did anyone click the link? It was a subject change.

Your link? Yes. I got sort of caught up in the Matt Smith article.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, I thought you were responding to my post with your last.

(sorry folks, I edited to make my question more clear.)

[ 24. December 2013, 18:33: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I did click your link and I did read the Matt Smith article and I did wonder what this had to do with celebrating the Doctor being a woman, though I couldn't see it explicitly, and then my mind sort of drifted to that concept which is why I posted what I did because I assumed you were celebrating the idea of the Doctor being a woman, and (as there was nothing particularly controversial in the link) my mind moved away from the link and towards the concept instead.

[ 24. December 2013, 18:37: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I should have put in something explanatory. As it was =,the thread had been dormant for several hours, and I just leapt in where it left off, figuring the topic could change.

Really,while they were deciding, I had opinions, but why would I dredge up all that while we are all kind of bonding over the finale? I am currently too consumed with Doctor Grief to get on any soapbox.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No one is celebrating the Doctor being a woman. If you were to click my link from a few days back you would find Strax assuming that the eighth doctor was female because of the long hair. My comment that the Doctor had had a female incarnation was me riffing on that. Sometimes people can be too literal.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Anyway, the article I linked was wonderful, and made me a little wobbly and sentimental, and what made me smile that while the author is proclaiming to the world that every body is missing this wonderful secret about Smith, some of us have been discussing said secret-- which I will call, "The Kid Thing"-- since Season One. 'Bout time you got with the program, BBC editorialist. [Big Grin]

Sorry my enthusiasm caused me to be obscure.

[ 24. December 2013, 19:56: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I should have put in something explanatory. As it was =,the thread had been dormant for several hours, and I just leapt in where it left off, figuring the topic could change.

I clicked it, and I think it's absolutely spot on, and the clip at the bottom with the little girl is just [Big Grin] [Tear] , but like you I'm a bit too [Waterworks] at the moment. I keep telling people 'if I don't watch it, it won't happen'.
*breaks out new box of tissues*

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:
I keep telling people 'if I don't watch it, it won't happen'.

You, too??

I wish I could figure out a way to link to the despondent bitstrip I made after one too many heartbreaking tributes.

[ 24. December 2013, 20:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's Christmas, Kelly. Don't worry about it. I should have had my brain in gear, paid more attention and not tried to see your post as following on from Orfeo's.

Merry Christmas.

(I feel slightly despondent that we'll never get a decent run of John Hurt episodes. He's just usurped McGann and Davison as my favourite. Capaldi had better be good.)

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
(I feel slightly despondent that we'll never get a decent run of John Hurt episodes. He's just usurped McGann and Davison as my favourite. Capaldi had better be good.)

'Tis true, John Hurt was awesome. But Capaldi will be good. He won me over with half a second of an angry look in The Day of the Doctor.

Meanwhile, I think I've posted this before, but ... Merry Christmas from Strax. (All sing along, now.)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
]Originally posted by Adeodatus:
Merry Christmas from Strax.

[Killing me] [Killing me]

[ 25. December 2013, 11:35: Message edited by: Stumbling Pilgrim ]

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:
quote:

I clicked it, and I think it's absolutely spot on, and the clip at the bottom with the little girl is just [Big Grin] [Tear] , but like you I'm a bit too [Waterworks] at the moment. I keep telling people 'if I don't watch it, it won't happen'.

I get this totally. I'm dreading watching it, even though I'm very happy with the next actor.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Regarding the little girl clip-- I just said this on FB)

I avoided clicking that link because I was afraid, via a couple descriptions of it, that the conversation turned into a heroic Doctor moment, but the real magic is Smith admitting that he is scared of the Angels and he kind of likes being scared of the Angels. And he's kind without talking down to the little girl. The man gets kids.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

spoilers

You were right, Smith was brilliant with the children.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

OK, I'll start. Underwhelming last episode. I may be alone in this but I felt it dragged on a lot, had a fair amount of padding and lacked originality. Looking forward to Capaldi taking over, though.
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I enjoyed it, but I agree it dragged slightly. As sometimes happens, everything got cleared up a little too neatly and quickly at the end. Is there anything regeneration energy can't do - even allowing for the fact that it was energy +++ and granting him a whole new cycle.

However, I did find the last 20 minutes genuinely moving and poignant and have the satisfaction of knowing that my prediction regarding how the Doctor would carry on was correct. Also a nice allusion to the (in)famous Doctor knock knock joke.

Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it was awful.

M.

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was everything that's both good and bad about Moffat. Some great moments, some funny lines but an eye-wateringly convoluted plot and callbacks which are either fun or annoying depending on your pov. I liked about 50% of it.

Oh and someone's got some serious issues about Church/religion/sex. [Eek!]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also underwhelmed. Of course there were some good bits but it seemed like a episode for tidying up some loose ends and passing on the Doctor baton rather than a good story.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In terms of story, it was not too great. That is so often the case for changeovers. But I was impressed by the passion and emotion shown by Smith as he knew his time was coming to an end. I think he was sad to leave to role, and some - most - of that emotion was genuine.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Likewise a bit underwhelmed - some nice touches and details but overall thought it felt like a mash-up of previous episodes rather than anything original.

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

With all the big End-of-the-universe-as-we-know-it stuff it was quite a small story about relationships. The Doctor and Clara, the Doctor and the space nun whatever her name was (cool costume). The Daleks, Cybermen, Silence, stuff was all trimings in the end.

I liked the small relational story, and I liked the big story. I just feel the two stories could have fitted together a little bit better.

Can't wait to see how the 12th/14th Doctor turns out.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going for 13th. John Hurt counts and David Tennant just once - I'm sure he said he terminated the regeneration before it completed although if I watch the episode again I will look out for it.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought the whole thing was rather silly, I'm afraid. Was it any more than Moffat trying to establish himself in Who-history as "the man who solved the regeneration problem"? Smith has only just been bumped up to 12, why make him 13?

ETA I think we were told that 10 regenerated but kept himself looking the same for reasons of vanity. If Hurt is now 9, Eccleston would be 10. Is there a moment we saw that might count, and does Eccleston-Doctor seem a likely victim of vanity?

[ 25. December 2013, 22:07: Message edited by: Robert Armin ]

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was supposed to be a serious piece about dying and moving on, and it did that part rather well. I don't think it will ever be one of my favourite episodes. The comedy bits fell flat. I'd have liked Clara's Christmas dinner to have had more to do with the rest of the plot. But the emotional bits worked well for me.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good grief that was awful.
Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

quote:
I think we were told that 10 regenerated but kept himself looking the same for reasons of vanity. If Hurt is now 9, Eccleston would be 10. Is there a moment we saw that might count, and does Eccleston-Doctor seem a likely victim of vanity?

I think if he said 10 (can't remember)it's a bit of dodgy counting - the reference was to the Doctor-formerly-known-as-10, ie Tennant, when in 'The Stolen Earth/Journey's End' he halted a regeneration after healing his body by diverting the remaining energy into his old severed hand thoughtfully provided by Captain Jack, thus (accidentally, I think) replicating himself. I believe the logic is that although it was an incomplete regeneration it used up a full complement of energy, therefore counting as one of his quota of 12.

As for the episode itself - I'm inclined to agree with those who feel the plot was secondary to the relationship stories, and about Clara's faith in him - faith that eventually moved a mountain in the shape of the Time Lords. On that reckoning it was very moving, and a worthy send-off in that it gave Matt Smith a golden chance to show what he can do, which he grabbed with both hands. [Overused] Matt - not one of my favourite episodes, but definitely one of my favourite performances by any Doctor ever.

Potential spoiler in this paragraph:
And as for me - I managed to last until I saw the fish fingers and custard, and pretty much lost it at 'Raggedy Man - goodnight'. Did she have to say goodnight? [Waterworks]

--------------------

ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stumbling Pilgrim:But what is perplexing is - was Smith Doctor (fed up with numbers now) aware that Capaldi Doctor was going to be present at the rescue of Gallifrey? If he was, then surely he knows he isn't the last, so he has less reason to be so disturbed by going to Trenzalore, but if he wasn't then his presence would have messed up the calculations. I probably think too much sometimes ...
OK, obviously Capaldi was in The Day of the Doctor because (for me at least) his 2 seconds in it managed to steal the show.
But, I finally worked out how it can fit in logically with Smith not knowing that there would be at least another regeneration.
He forgot.
The Doctors before him all forgot about saving Gallifrey, and since Capaldi is in Smith's future, he likewise forgot about him. All this forgetting being hand-waved by some comment from Hurt and Tennant about things being out of sync (and maybe all that forgetting technology in the Tower).

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Watched it again now, completely sober. Perhaps 'awful' was a bit strong but still really poor. I can't see all the emotion some are talking about.

The Christmas dinner scenes seemed to have little to do with the rest of the plot - it could have been any device to keep Clara's timeline short compared to the Doctor's; the humour fell completely flat (what was the nudity stuff about? It was just childish); I don't think Matt Smith was convincing as a old man; I couldn't care less about the town of Christmas; the regeneration went on for ever and, at the end of the day, it was quite boring.

M.

Oh, and why did they use a blonde girl for the young Amy?

[ 26. December 2013, 11:56: Message edited by: M. ]

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Agreed M - there was lots of stuff that didn't go anywhere: nudity, Christmas meal, baldness, aging, truth field. In any story the details should do something - advance the plot, develop character, whatever - and these didn't. I'm afraid it confirms my feeling that Moff is a lazy writer (on Who; Sherlock is a different matter) and it's time for him to move on. How do I apply for the job?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Add me to the list of the underwhelmed. I found it strange, meandering and basically very unsatisfying.

Which is such a shame after finding both of the last 2 episodes (Name of the Doctor and Day of the Doctor) to be excellent.

I know it wasn't trying to be funny all that often, but there was probably only one joke that really made me laugh. On the emotional side... the part about everyone being different people, I liked. Most of the rest just seemed to drag on with no real form.

There was also the typical recent tendency to have a lot of dialogue packed with dense ideas and name-checking previous stories which gave me the urge to pause and rewind, most of which probably didn't make much sense other than for the sake of sounding twisty and providing name-checks of previous stories. Which again annoyed me, because in The Day of the Doctor I finally got witty dialogue that didn't make me go "what? let me hear that again?".

(It fundamentally annoys me because I'd actually like to think I'm a highly intelligent viewer who can grasp clever dialogue that doesn't spell everything out for me. I mean, I loved the movie Inception and kept track what was going on the entire time. No other show causes me to keep reaching for the rewind anywhere near as much Doctor Who does in recent years.)

Mind you, they did at least pay themselves out: talk fast, hope it works out and then claim credit. Yup. You've been doing it a lot. Please stop, try a new approach with a new lead actor.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Loved it.

All of it.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Agreed M - there was lots of stuff that didn't go anywhere: nudity, Christmas meal, baldness, aging, truth field. In any story the details should do something - advance the plot, develop character, whatever - and these didn't. I'm afraid it confirms my feeling that Moff is a lazy writer (on Who; Sherlock is a different matter) and it's time for him to move on.

Yes. All of those. I don't know how these things work but it's a shame that someone doesn't have a quick look over the script once it's worked out and say "Hang on a minute, this won't work/what does this lead to".

I think what got me particularly was the line up of all the Doctor's enemies. I mean, "here we go again". We already had the grand parade of massed Daleks, Sontarans, Cybermen and everyone else the Doctor has ever annoyed in some previous episodes. It wasn't necessary to introduce it again, the novelty had worn off. Sometimes, less is more and a more minimalist, understated approach would have worked better. I'm afraid that was the point at which I got bored enough to catch up on the news headlines on my phone while waiting for the grand denouement. That stuff with Clara was just silly (especially her wandering round with a roast turkey after the plot had clearly moved on and decided not to include any more of the dinner).

On the plus side, Matt Smith was quite convincing as an aged Doctor and the first sight of Peter Capaldi was quite unnerving. I'm looking forward to seeing how he turns out. As an older man, he isn't going to have the energy to do all those frenetic dashes through corridors so we might actually get some more plotlike plots, and hopefully there will be fewer lovelorn companions.

Moffatt has probably been putting much of of his time and concentration into Sherlock. That shows, but IMO it also shows that not much has been left over for Who.

[ 26. December 2013, 12:53: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was confused, not least by the fact that I thought the crack in the wall was a Very Bad Thing Indeed in previous episodes, but suddenly it became the Thing That Saved The Day. Very strange.

The Christmas dinner was a waste of time. Why get Madge-from-Benidorm to play the granny and then only give her a couple of lines? She had a very emotive starring role in Call the Midwife last year, so was wasted in a bit part. And what's with the unseen nudity?

Oh and more daleks (yawn).

Having said all that, I loved Handles the Cyber-head. And the last 20 minutes were incredibly moving. I was sceptical about Matt Smith when he was first announced because I thought him too young, but he proved me wrong - yesterday, I really didn't want him to leave. It was very sad and I'll admit to sobbing through the final scenes.

I didn't see the point of making him age, though, unless it was to introduce the kiddies to the idea of an older Doctor.

I hope they give Peter Capaldi some better plots. He's a writer and director as well, so may be able to challenge some of the weaker timey-wimey stuff.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

I liked Handles too - but add him to my list of things that didn't make sense please.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just watched it again, liked it even more.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016