homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: SOF RPG: Metagame for Prince Testwe's Peregrination (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: SOF RPG: Metagame for Prince Testwe's Peregrination
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
... oh I get to pick? Hmmm...let me research.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't understand how to reconcile what Hart has posted on Story with the several posts Jay-Emm has made here on Meta. So I don't understand what we're supposed to do.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(to DT_)Ok, how about something that looks like a plain old cracked pocket watch, but gives a +1 to muscles?

Or I am open to suggestion, really.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like you to come up with a magic item, which your character will then get given by Testwe. Jay-Em has given permission for others to describe Testwe giving the item ti you on the story thread. (These are the velvet wrapped objects that were in the chest.)

Because Testwe is arrogant and over-privileged, he will only be happy to hand out things that appear worthless, broken or old. Therefore, once you have agreed the magic item you want with me - you write a story post describing it and Testwe giving it to you, that fits in with those ideas.

It doesn't have to be on the list Jay-Em posted here on meta.

Hart described Testwe unwrapping the item, what the item was, how it appeared of low value and his interaction to get the item (having agreed with me here, he could have gloves that would raise his finesse a rank once a week.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
(to DT_)Ok, how about something that looks like a plain old cracked pocket watch, but gives a +1 to muscles?

Or I am open to suggestion, really.

Well, that is a little bit of a stretch for our tech level.

You want to boost your muscles, so what about a belt of strength, gives a rank in muscles x1 per week when you pull it extra tight ?

But bear in mind your coyote spirit transform already buffs your muscles upto once a week. If you want something more contraptiony, perhaps you could target your finesse or charm with an intricate or old bracer / decorative arm cuff / belt buckle ? Happy for them to give you a rank in the stat upto once per week.

Or you could have something that just gives you a specific ability you wouldn't otherwise have - e.g boots of water walking, you can walk quickly across water but not stand on it. Ability works for the length of time you can hold your breath. Breathe and you fall in. (If it helps to imagine it, it would be like walking on custard.)

[ 19. May 2014, 06:34: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I don't understand how to reconcile what Hart has posted on Story with the several posts Jay-Emm has made here on Meta. So I don't understand what we're supposed to do.

Basically it took me a while to realise what Doublethink was getting at and what this opportunity was (and that it was meant for everyone). So was backpedaling.

At first I thought they'd be interesting bits, but quite expected for the prince to claim (perhaps he'd find one was cursed or something, hopefully at some point he'd learn his lesson or something). Valuable and possibly useful on a party level but nothing more.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not really in the mood for games right now, so let me know if there's anything you absolutely need me to make a decision (IC or OOC) about. Otherwise I won't be posting for a few days.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK I will make any moves Ik needs.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

DT, I am off to my new job assignment, so will think about your really cool suggestions and come back.

In light of the recent loss to our community, though, I am wondering if everyone would appreciate a 24 hour break.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
In light of the recent loss to our community, though, I am wondering if everyone would appreciate a 24 hour break.

I think this would be helpful.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So done.

—Ariston, Circus Host

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

So, while on my first job assignment, I watched a couple of little boys who were playing a game that involved a "Diamond Crystal", which was, they way they described it, a low-range teleportation device. Riffing on my "Broke mechanical device", maybe I can have brandon take a broke watch from Teswe, mumble something about wishing he were somewhere else, and winding up 50 feet away from where he stood. The watch does not have a broken crystal, as he thought, but the face is obscured by the "diamond Crystal" face which is the actual magic item.

I just like the idea of incorporating an idea one of the kids has given me.

[ 21. May 2014, 04:05: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You can have that, but as a broken compass rather than a broken watch - please do yourself an outcome post on the story thread. Effect will work x1 per week.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can Daniel find a relic of that ancient scourge of vampires, St Cushing? (Boosts Soul, or Inspiration, one rank when repelling undead?)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Boosts soul a rank x1 per week in the presence of undead, maniple of St Cushing looks old and a bit moth eaten. Please do a post on the story thread.

[ 21. May 2014, 11:40: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
old Book (which will go to Guriana)

Suggested item: the old book is Demoslant's Principles of Rhetoric which will raise the reader's Charm by one rank, once a week, in relation to any Charm attempt involving speech . In addition, a prepared formal oration which is written with direct access to the book will be at +1 on die rolls when delivered.

Reading the book takes 12 hours less rank in Witsx2 (so between 2 to 10 hours). It must be read in full at least once to be effective, and the possessor must have read one of its twelve chapters in the past week to use it at any point thereafter (fortunately, it is very well written). The 'prepared speech' bonus requires at least an hour's undisturbed concentration.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps Jerthro can find a battered notched dagger that looks useless, but when invoked (once a week?) works like a taunt except with somewhat broader effect. In other words, it works on mobs that you couldn't literally taunt. Not a completely logical item for Jerthro to use as he's not a tank, but it's something he'd love, and at least he's pretty fast when he needs to draw enemies away. [Biased]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
old Book (which will go to Guriana)

Suggested item: the old book is Demoslant's Principles of Rhetoric which will raise the reader's Charm by one rank, once a week, in relation to any Charm attempt involving speech . In addition, a prepared formal oration which is written with direct access to the book will be at +1 on die rolls when delivered.

Reading the book takes 12 hours less rank in Witsx2 (so between 2 to 10 hours). It must be read in full at least once to be effective, and the possessor must have read one of its twelve chapters in the past week to use it at any point thereafter (fortunately, it is very well written). The 'prepared speech' bonus requires at least an hour's undisturbed concentration.

Basically that's fine, I am happy for it to do those things. You can roleplay the reading times if you wish - but game time is probably too elastic for me to hold you to hard and fast rules for that process.

Please do an outcome post on the story thread.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
Perhaps Jerthro can find a battered notched dagger that looks useless, but when invoked (once a week?) works like a taunt except with somewhat broader effect. In other words, it works on mobs that you couldn't literally taunt. Not a completely logical item for Jerthro to use as he's not a tank, but it's something he'd love, and at least he's pretty fast when he needs to draw enemies away. [Biased]

I am not sure what you mean by "works like a taunt" ?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

I'm thinking of RPGs I've played where taunting is a way to get enemies to attack you. In this case, Jerthro would probably get enemies to attack him instead of some weaker member of the party.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Hmm, tricky to operationalise, how about something like this - whenever you have the option to runaway, you can try to roll more than 10 to divert, if you succeed you run away and take a single minion fight from someone else with you ? So the fight you target, just disappears. If your roll fails, you continue with your combat. You can't use the ability if you are not in combat. (Won't work against a nemesis.)

What do you think ?

[ 21. May 2014, 19:05: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

If I can target the ability, it sounds perfect for Jerthro. (As always, thanks for the thought you put into this!)

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would like to have a small carving knife set for Bayani, something like this.

I'm not sure whether the effect of these knives would be considered magical or not. But I suggest the following:
  1. For regular play, Bayani can attempt to carve some item from an available piece of wood by a throw, with a threshold decided by the GM, which balances the difficulty of the crafting against Bayani's Finesse. If he is below threshold, then the piece of wood is ruined, if above threshold, crafting is a success. I think this should be OK whenever there is an opportunity to exercise this craft, though obviously constrained by reasonable roleplay.
  2. Once a week, Bayani can carve a small item for a designated person (player or NPC) as a gift. If the person accepts the gift, then while this person keeps it, Bayani's charm is boosted for them to Good (if otherwise hostile to Bayani) or Excellent (if otherwise friendly to Bayani). This effect is not transferable to any other person, and getting rid of it is as easy as getting rid of the gift. This basically mimics the endearing effect of receiving and keeping a handcrafted work of art/craft.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
If I can target the ability, it sounds perfect for Jerthro. (As always, thanks for the thought you put into this!)

Yup, you can target it, pls do an outcome post on the story thread - remember you need to persuade, divert or otherwise finangle your way around the prince's greed.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
I would like to have a small carving knife set for Bayani, something like this.

I'm not sure whether the effect of these knives would be considered magical or not. But I suggest the following:
  1. For regular play, Bayani can attempt to carve some item from an available piece of wood by a throw, with a threshold decided by the GM, which balances the difficulty of the crafting against Bayani's Finesse. If he is below threshold, then the piece of wood is ruined, if above threshold, crafting is a success. I think this should be OK whenever there is an opportunity to exercise this craft, though obviously constrained by reasonable roleplay.
  2. Once a week, Bayani can carve a small item for a designated person (player or NPC) as a gift. If the person accepts the gift, then while this person keeps it, Bayani's charm is boosted for them to Good (if otherwise hostile to Bayani) or Excellent (if otherwise friendly to Bayani). This effect is not transferable to any other person, and getting rid of it is as easy as getting rid of the gift. This basically mimics the endearing effect of receiving and keeping a handcrafted work of art/craft.

OK, part one is just woodcarving as a skill - I am aware that your skill set is affected bŷ the change from the original combat system - would you like to drop sinwali in favour of a carving skill based off finesse ? Then have the well-crafted carving set with the effect you suggest ?

(If you drop sinwali, it would just mean you get +1 for your weapon on your attack roll instead of + 2, you'd be attacking using your Blades skill.)

[ 21. May 2014, 19:28: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think I've actually described my treasure.
It's purely mundane but it is worth a lot and exquisite. And money has a magic of it's own.

In particular a sight of it might convince those otherwise unwilling to help to be more helpful.

Anyone trying (greed based) villainy will be scared of their comrades getting it and not co-operate as well as they ought.

If ever given to anyone female they will look the belle of the ball and be seen as more charming, etc...

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Do you want a magic thingy ?

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

I was thinking the necklace would be special enough without magic. I suppose it could be magically brilliant or have some other effect which I can't think of (some kind of gps thing seems fitting, or making a noise when stolen).

But I only chose that as it was the thought that seemed most developed. So if there's something that you think makes more sense be glad too here it.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

How about the necklace can heal you once per week ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

K, so far:

• Testwe - healing necklace
  • Hestor - finesse gloves
  • Daniel - St Cushing's maniple
  • Brandon - diamond crystal teleport compass
  • Jerthro - dagger of diversion
  • Bayani - well-made carving set
  • Guriana- oratory book

Not yet assigned something, Clawdine, Ik, Jetse, Stone & Arabella. Also, Stone is owed an extra special item that he didn't get at character creation. I am aware Marvin is taking a break at the moment, so I will devise his item.

[ 21. May 2014, 22:31: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
OK, part one is just woodcarving as a skill - I am aware that your skill set is affected bŷ the change from the original combat system - would you like to drop sinwali in favour of a carving skill based off finesse ? Then have the well-crafted carving set with the effect you suggest ?

I'm not happy with that at all. But then I struggle with our current skill system.

Anyway, can I ask what we are doing this for? Are we going to play this adventure out much longer, or is this some kind of bonus to be taken with the character into the next adventure? Because if it is the latter, then I don't need to get anything. I intend to retire Bayani anyhow...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Jetse's pretty well overloaded anyway—couldn't think of anything he'd possibly need, given that he's already a one-man walking arsenal.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Perhaps an endless ration pack ?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

I'm not happy with that at all. But then I struggle with our current skill system.

Anyway, can I ask what we are doing this for? Are we going to play this adventure out much longer, or is this some kind of bonus to be taken with the character into the next adventure? Because if it is the latter, then I don't need to get anything. I intend to retire Bayani anyhow...

Yes, will be completing after we leave the crypt - but anyone who wants to will be able to take their character onto the main campaign. If you will be making new - then you could just start the campaign with two special items instead of one (if people take their characters on).

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Ik gets boots of water walking, you can walk quickly across water but not stand on it. Ability works for the length of time you can hold your breath. Breathe and you fall in.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Arabella would like a small chalice with grimy lumps around the base, the stem so bent that the bowl hangs uselessly almost bent double on the stem.

Gazing into the bowl of the chalice increases Arabella's Soul to Excellent.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yup, that's fine, x1 use per week - please can you do a story post for that.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Perhaps an endless ration pack ?

Or perhaps some healing item, given that I imagine he'd get quite beat up over time?

Perhaps the felt wrappings could be used as bandages—but all that time around powerful magic meant to prolong life made them supereffective?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

OK, wrappings that heal x1 per week, pls do a story post.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A battered pewter soup ladle.

The magic property for it: whenever it is used to stir and ladle food out, the food becomes the best tasting food the recipient has ever eaten.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes that's fine, x1 per week it will give you an extra rank in charm if you try to influence the folk you have fed with it. Pls do youself a post on the outcome thread.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

JFH is having trouble with the people's internet. He has been in touch behind the scenes so I shall do an outcome post for him on the story thread based on that, at some point this evening.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
You can have that, but as a broken compass rather than a broken watch - please do yourself an outcome post on the story thread. Effect will work x1 per week.

So done-- I also provided an opportunity to test it out, if you will allow me a freebie. What stat do I roll though?

(I got a 15, whatever it is.)

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes you can do a freebie, you don't need to roll anything.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK, want me to roleplay that or want to throw me a surprise? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Never mind, I figured it out.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

The playtest is complete - no further posts on the story thread please. We will return to the construction thread for any further discussion.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016