homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does that mean my box was full? If so, I have now emptied it. Substantially.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Patty Andrews, the last surviving Andrews Sister, is sitting under the apple tree at last with her siblings.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ed Koch, three-time mayor of New York City and famous for asking, "How am I doing?", knows the answer to that question at last.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know some New Yorkers who have strong opinions one way or the other....

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Ed Koch was a great man and a great mayor. Rare among politicians, he wasn't afraid to speak his mind regardless of who might think differently. Some of his one-liners will live in infamy, such as his advice about not flushing toilets during the drought of the early 1980s: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

Yes, he had his faults, but which of us doesn't? His administration had its scandals, but which administration doesn't?

Rest in peace, Mr. Mayor.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was not a fan (but then I wasn't a constituent either, so my opinion doesn't matter). However, I did admire one of his lines: "I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for you."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Patty Andrews, the last surviving Andrews Sister, is sitting under the apple tree at last with her siblings.

That's six points for Gwai.

A bit more analysis of our picks:

Of the 268 nominees 119 are from Europe, 111 from North America and 19 from Asia.

104 are from the USA and 101 from the UK.

61 are famous for music, there are 60 politicians, 49 actors, 18 sportsmen/women, 13 royalty and 12 comedians.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all your help!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I doubt if anyone had Chris Kyle, a Navy SEAL sniper who had more kills to his credit than any other. I respectfully submit, however, that the manner of his death (shot to death) goes toward proving the existence of God.

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Muhammad Ali may or may not be at death's door, according to some news reports. Stay tuned!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I doubt if anyone had Chris Kyle, a Navy SEAL sniper who had more kills to his credit than any other. I respectfully submit, however, that the manner of his death (shot to death) goes toward proving the existence of God.

No. It just goes to show that the only thing that can stop a good guy with a gun is a bad guy with a gun.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

If the labels "good" or "bad" could be applied to either of them, surely that's for God to decide, not us.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reg Presley of the Troggs has died, aged 71.

AG

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

This is getting embarrassing ! [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So not such a Wild Thing any more - or perhaps Heaven is where our wildness will be fulfilled.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

AG

This is getting embarrassing ! [Hot and Hormonal]
Purely in the interest of scientific research into your abilities to tell the future, what will the lottery numbers be this Saturday?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stuart Freeborn has died. Create no more, he will.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found the thread at last [Razz]

Is anyone else seriously bummed out that they didn't pick the pöpe?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. He ain't dead yet!
2. I find the discussion of how much you want to kill Il Papa distressful. Off to Hull with you!

Muahahahahahaha,
Ariston

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Of the nine people who went for him seven were specific to the soon to be former Holy Father but two attempted to hedge slightly by just saying "The P***". If the new man (or woman) dies this year while still in office a decision will have to be made. If this happens and another P*** is elected and dies then will these two competitors be able to score twice for the same choice?

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My opinion is irrelevant, but I'd say that they score every time a p*** dies while still the p***, but do not score if Ratzinger dies while not the p***.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I imagine that anyone who selected Joseph Ratzinger would score.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Bump. Because I can't find the thread.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
... but do not score if Ratzinger dies while not the p***.

I had him on my list as "Pope Benedict XVI"; wouldn't he still have that title, as there won't be another with the same name and number?

Having said that, I wish him a long and happy retirement.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

Tony Sheridan, who arguably gave the Beatles their crucial break, has moved on to Rock & Roll Heaven.

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ronald Dworkin, one of the most important legal and political philosophers of his generation, died Thursday. I'm pretty sure nobody had him, but, having interpreted this community's comprehensive norms and ethos in the best possible way, it seems as if such a constructive interpretation would demand that I post a notice of his death.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard Briers has died at 79. Although he seems best remembered for The Good Life he played all sorts of roles and I remember him best with John Gielgud in the TV adaptation of Chekhov's Swansong.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sad news about Richard Briers. He was an excellent actor - he had his own style, and it is not for everyone, but he was good.

AND he got to snog Felicity Kendal. What more could you ask for in life?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mindy McCready has died. A sad, sad life when there was so much potential. [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Richard Briers has died at 79. Although he seems best remembered for The Good Life he played all sorts of roles and I remember him best with John Gielgud in the TV adaptation of Chekhov's Swansong.

My favourite quote from Richard Briers was after a damning review of his Hamlet: Briers replied that "I may not have been the best, but I was definitely one of the fastest".

Lovely modest man with little to be modest about.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant quote from a terrific actor and a lovely human.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In U.S. sports news L.A. Lakers Basketball coach Jerry Buss. He took a mediocre team and during his time as owner the Lakers won 10 championships and made it to the finals multiple times.

[ 18. February 2013, 17:49: Message edited by: Niteowl ]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
In U.S. sports news L.A. Lakers Basketball coach Jerry Buss. He took a mediocre team and during his time as owner the Lakers won 10 championships and made it to the finals multiple times.

A remarkable man. But actually he was the Laker's owner rather than coach. He had the brains to hire fantastic coaches and players, and hired a young, unknown Paula Abdul to dance with and choreograph for the Laker Girls. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Pep Simek, co-founder of Tombstone Pizza (famous for its commercials where an executioner asks his victim, "What do you want on your tombstone?" and the victim replies, "Pepperoni and cheese"), has finally gotten to decide what he wants on his.

On no one's list, I'm sure, but it's been slim pickings for the Grip Reaper lately, so we'll take whoever we can get (so to speak).

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

Magic Slim has gone to the crossroads in the sky...

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Ray Cuisick who designed the Daleks has been exterminated.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Let us hope that Paul McIlhenny, a member of the family whose company has for generations produced the fiery hot pepper sauce known as Tabasco, is not experiencing in death the full reality of which his product is merely, erm, a foretaste.

[ 25. February 2013, 14:24: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C. Everett Koop former Surgeon General has died at the age of 96. The healer did well but couldn't beat old age.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
American Concert Pianist Van Cliburn has died.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Nooooo. [Waterworks]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We lost Marie-Claire Alain yesterday.

A generation of musical giants is passing.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
We lost Marie-Claire Alain yesterday.

How did I miss that? I had the privilege of hearing her about 25 years ago.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
D. included a tribute to her in his weekly organ recital today: Choral dorien and Litanies, both by her brother, Jehan Alain, for the interpretation of whose music she was particularly renowned.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Oddly enough, not only did he graduate from the same university as me, but we were also fraternity brothers, albeit separated by 50 years. RIP, at the sounding of the final chord.

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of you who have Hugo Chavez, he seems to be knock, knock, knockin on heaven's door:
Chavez fighting for his life.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

According to some comments by
quote:
Chavez's self-appointed successor
Hmm.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I know someone who swears (although his source is suspect -- his imagination!) that Chavez has been dead for months and that the Cubans gussied up someone with plasic surgery to be his double.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

You don't believe this? Hmmmm, miss Amanda, part of the coverup are we?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

Bonnie Franklin , 70's-80's sitcom star, no longer takes "One Day at a Time."

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
For those of you who have Hugo Chavez, he seems to be knock, knock, knockin on heaven's door:
Chavez fighting for his life.

come on, Hugo! mama needs a new set of snowtires!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016