homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Henry Morgentaler, who led the abortion movement in Canada, has died at age 90.

Carolyn Egan, with the Ontario Coalition of Abortion Clinics, said she spoke with members of Morgentaler's family, who told her he died early Wednesday morning, surrounded by family, and that it was a peaceful death at his Toronto home.

Morgentaler emerged in 1969 as one of Canada's most controversial figures when he broke the law at the time, and opened the country's first abortion clinic in Montreal.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/story/2013/05/29/obit-morgentaler.html

Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Andrew Greeley, priest and novelist is loving and criticizing the Catholic Church from the next world.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Metropolitan Cyprianos Kutsumbas, President of the Synod of the Orthodox Church of Greece (Holy Synod in Resistance), has gone to that place where Old Calendar, New Calendar, all are the same.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
Andrew Greeley, priest and novelist is loving and criticizing the Catholic Church from the next world.

Depending on how the celestial authorities regard salacious airport novels, he might be doing a few weeks in purgatory.

(Sorry. I know Greeley was a compassionate and scholarly individual. But those book covers were always a hoot.)

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, I remember reading a few steamy Greeley novels myself. He could have used an editor for story continuity but, my, he could turn a tale!

Jean Stapleton, America's favorite "dingbat", has died.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jean Stapleton has died.
RIP, Edith Bunker.
- Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a hard one. God Bless you, Dingbat. [Tear]

Another hadr one-- Harvey Korman went to that big sketch show in the sky on Thursday, where he will surely burst out laughing mid-scene through eternity.

A lovely tribute here.

[ 01. June 2013, 23:43: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh. [Tear]

We've lost a couple of dandy folk, haven't we?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kelly - that link is 5 years old.... Harvey Korman, rest his soul, has been dead lo, these many years.
- Anne L.

--------------------

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
.. OK:

1. WTF is it with Facebook lately? This is the second time old obits have been going around.

2. Did I miss this the first time around? If so, How TF?

3. .. or did I not miss it the first time around, and just developed goldfish brain about it?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually....

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Jeez, can I manage to say something that's not wrong today?

[ 02. June 2013, 01:58: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I can easily manage that. Now if I can just work out how to do it whilst speaking or writing...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

Esther Williams has died. The url thingummy is being weird and I can't post a link.
Also, Joey Covington of the Jefferson Airplane.
- Anne L.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tom Sharpe, creator of Wilt, Blott, Skullion & co has died.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maleveque:
Esther Williams has died. The url thingummy is being weird and I can't post a link.

Here's the link.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

[Waterworks]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Richard Ramirez, the infamous mass murderer/serial rapist known as the "Night Stalker", will stalk no more.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody on our lists has died since my last report on the bottom of page four but at that time I had missed Roger Ebert who had actually been reported further up the page [Hot and Hormonal] . Nobody else spotted him either [Razz] .

As a result there are now three Shipmates with three names they won't be able to put on next year's list: Gwai and Mamacita join Amazing Grace. Amazing Grace and Mamacita share the lead on total points to date.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Percy B
Shipmate
# 17238

- Posted      Profile for Percy B   Email Percy B   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:

[Waterworks]
Yes I saw that and read his interesting obituary. Son of a Unitarian minister...

Any other well known authors died in recent months?

--------------------
Mary, a priest??

Posts: 582 | From: Nudrug | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been reported elsewhere on these Boards that it is dangerous to presume the gender of any individual shipmate but I think that of the ten people to have picked more than one coffin occupier nine are female.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian Banks has died.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
Ian Banks has died.

Expected, but still very sad. One of those literary geniuses. I suspect his last books will sell well, and I do hope they can serve as a good testament to his genius.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
It has been reported elsewhere on these Boards that it is dangerous to presume the gender of any individual shipmate but I think that of the ten people to have picked more than one coffin occupier nine are female.

I learned valuable lessons in the Art of the Deadpool from a woman on a group I loosely followed on the Internet.

(Their "title" for the winner was MCB, for Most Cynical B******. I aspire to be an MCB With Bars on the Ship.)

Speaking of Roger Ebert, whose passing I still mourn and not because I left him off my list this year (dammit I thought he was getting better), I recently came across this tribute to him. Memory Eternal!

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else have Sir Henry Cecil? I think I did.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

You were the only one. Well done: 30 points.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

There wouldn't have been very many points for this gentleman.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was afraid you meant Nelson Mandela until I clicked the link. Now there's 6 points I would very much rather not having!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
There wouldn't have been very many points for this gentleman.

I was thinking he'd only bring minus points when I read his obit.

RIP [Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Helen Brush Jenkins, America's first woman news photographer, is no longer seeing through a glass, darkly, but rather face to face.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

James Gandolfini, known for his TV portrayal of mobster Tony Soprano, has entered that big Bada Bing lounge in the sky.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:

Oh, crap! I just now am seeing this! How bizarre! I've been thinking about him a lot this past week... maybe because my very Catholic uncle just died... anyway, sorry for interrupting your game...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

Some of the best bits of this game are the interruptions when people say things about the deceased.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bobby "Blue" Bland is turning on that heavenly lovelight... [Votive]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Bobby "Blue" Bland is turning on that heavenly lovelight... [Votive]

[Votive]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Time Team" facebook page has just announced that Mick Aston has died [Frown]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
The "Time Team" facebook page has just announced that Mick Aston has died [Frown]

That is a sad loss. He was one of those crazy people who made archeology exciting. I mean the whole program did, but Mick, in particular, showed the crazy passionate side of archeology.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Richard Matheson, author of innumerable books later mined for plot by Hollywood, including The Incredible Shrinking Man and I Am Legend, has died.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
Richard Matheson, author of innumerable books later mined for plot by Hollywood, including The Incredible Shrinking Man and I Am Legend, has died.

Its been a bad few weeks for SF and fantasy writers [Frown]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I was afraid you meant Nelson Mandela until I clicked the link. Now there's 6 points I would very much rather not having!

I'm getting a bunch of FB hits that he just died. I can't find official confirmation.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:

I'm getting a bunch of FB hits that he just died. I can't find official confirmation.
I haven't seen any confirmation, just that he's in dire health and the clock is ticking... poor, dear man*

*The late Andrew M. Greeley was fond of having his female characters say that of their menfolk.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

No one has yet mentioned notorious alleged tax evader and fugitive from justice, who was controversially pardoned by outgoing President Bill Clinton, Marc Rich, who has gone to stand before the Judge who grants no pardons.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

The man who invented the mouse has died.

--------------------

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bernie Nolan has left us.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Robert L. Hardesty, speechwriter for President Lyndon B. Johnson, has taken his place in the Great Society in the Great Beyond.

--------------------

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The end of the (Whicker's ) World.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anna Wing, known to Brits as Lou Beale in EastEnders, has died.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Amar Bose, designer of the small high-quality radio/CD player that bears his name, won't be needing his noise-canceling headphones anymore.

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Anna Wing, known to Brits as Lou Beale in EastEnders, has died.

Holy crap, she just now died?! She was looking old and ancient 20 years ago!

God bless her!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The inventor of the game "Twister" has died.

For kids it was a fun game, for adults, well..kind of awkward!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016