homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2013 Celebrity Death Pool: Kicking the Dust, Biting the Bucket
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChaliceGirl:
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Anna Wing, known to Brits as Lou Beale in EastEnders, has died.

Holy crap, she just now died?! She was looking old and ancient 20 years ago!

God bless her!

20 years ago she was 78, which is not that young.

Twister for adults is much better played nude.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:

Twister for adults is much better played nude.....

and don't forget the baby oil......

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Toshi Seeger, without whom Pete would not be the Pete we know. [Votive]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
The oldest person in this year's selections is Arthur Valerian Wellesley who, if he dies on or after 2nd July will earn Og: Thread Killer two points.

I haven't looked at this thread in two months.

I chose that man because he is old, hoping he would prove me wrong. I am glad he has made it half way through the year and will raise a glass to him on Jan 1 if he makes it through this one.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Off most folk's radar, but the blues is a little more blue today.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Mel Smith . I remember his shows with Griff Rhys Jones when I was growing up.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Press conferences in Heaven will be much more interesting with Helen Thomas front row center.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
RIP Mel Smith . I remember his shows with Griff Rhys Jones when I was growing up.

This is a sad loss. His work with NTNON was groundbreaking. Him and Gerald the Gorilla is TV history.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey , only just heard this from reading above [Frown]

God Bless you Mel Smith [Votive]

I loved that sketch from S & J when he's watching a really boring football match on TV which suddenly livens up everytime he leaves the room .

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Press conferences in Heaven will be much more interesting with Helen Thomas front row center.

Unless you're Jewish.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Unless you're Jewish.
Her anti-Semitism, which finished her long career, was totally uncalled for. I've always assumed she was suffering from dementia by then. It was a horrid end to an illustrious career.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RIP Mel Smith - NTNON was to my generation what Monty Python was to thoas ten years older than us.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Virginia E. Johnson, known best as the Johnson of Masters & Johnson, the pioneers of research into sexual "dysfunction" and exactly how "dysfunctional" (or not) it may be, is experiencing ecstasy of a different sort.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aleha ha-shalom (peace be on her.) Good woman.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ Cale is now writing for the Heavenly choir.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
70's film star Karen Black , "Five Easy Pieces" star, has died.

Rest in piece/peace.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Singer Eydie Gorme is doing the bossa nova up yonder.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are pretty rubbish because since I last reported on the state of play only two of our nominees have complied: Henry Cecil and Masao Yoshida. Well done Eloise and Sparrow.

The leaderboard hasn't changed much and Amazing Grace and Mamacita share the top spot with Gwai running them close.

At the other end of the terminal anticipation league eight of us should stick to the day job.

[ 11. August 2013, 21:51: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sid Bernstein will be promoting concerts in Heaven.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Muriel Siebert, the first woman ever to hold a seat on the New York Stock Exchange, has had her options called.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Welsh rugby star, BBC broadcaster, sports commentator and executive Cliff Morgan has died.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else of A Certain Age (i.e. early 50s [Big Grin] ) remember him presenting a school radio programme in the early 70s called Singing Together?

RIP

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seamus Heaney.

RIP

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seamus Heaney [Tear] [Votive]

"Mid Term Break" is one of the most extra-ordinary poems I have ever read.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so sad about that one. I met him once, and he was a perfect gentleman. I can't begin to count the poems of his that I love, but they touch deeper than most. May his gentle soul rest in peace.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
Seamus Heaney.

RIP

[Votive]

He was the featured speaker at my college commencement. He prepared and recited a 46-stanza poem for the occasion, carefully tailored for the event. It was remarkable and easily the best commencement address I have ever listened to.

His death makes me feel just that little bit older.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Seamus Heaney.

RIP

At least here there are people who have noticed that the world's greatest living poet isn't. I'm surrounded by word-lovers, but they have deadlines and meetings... Sigh.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Seamus Heaney.

RIP

At least here there are people who have noticed that the world's greatest living poet isn't. I'm surrounded by word-lovers, but they have deadlines and meetings... Sigh.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard Seamus Heaney read in my first week at university back in 1975. He'd been recommended to me by the headmaster of the school I went to. But I really went there because a very attractive woman called Lucy who I'd met on the train on the way up was going to be there. I think the next time I met her was three years later on the train back after we'd graduated. We talked about thinking about becoming Catholic but deciding not to.

But it was a great reading by a good poet. I have two or three of his books now. Including the Beowulf translation. It was fascinating reading that alongside the Old English original. Thank you Seamus (and thank you Penguin).

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly sad about this. We had friends in common, so there was always a faint possibility that we might have met again. I even had one of those little imaginary chats ready in my head - besides the time at Queen's, I wanted to talk about a place we both lived in childhood.

Not now. Not ever.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I studied with Seamus when I was an undergraduate. I remember with great amusement him astounding a Harvard seminar on the very first day by telling them that, no matter how hard they worked, they would not be able to get an 'A' unless they had talent. He was a good teacher. Anyone who knows my stuff would probably never guess that Seamus taught me, but without his enthusiastic support I would probably have never got published in the first instance, nor written the particular things I have.

I've known many poets. I can count on my two fists the number who can truthfully be described as kind, generous, humble, and good. Seamus was all that.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never had the privilege of meeting him. But there was a warmth in so many of his poems that I feel diminished by his death.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone have David Frost?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sir David Frost has given his last broadcast.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The soft voiced David Jacobs has died.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to listen to my CD of Mack and (*Flippin') Mabel with an introduction by David Jacobs.

When David Jacobs used to do his show tunes show, the late great Ray Moore would always associate it with "Mack and Flippin' Mabel" when he played the trailer. In an affectionate way.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

A bad week for Davids.

They were both outstanding in their own fields, and will be missed.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bad week all round. SF author and publisher Frederick Pohl has died.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another person of whom I thought, "I didn't know he was still alive!"

--------------------
Ann

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Ann, thanks for the reminder of the great and much missed Ray Moore (the BBC one, who died way too young back in 1989). He made insomnia and getting up at stupid o'clock bearable and paved the way for broadcasters like Alex Bruce to treat that time of the day with the contempt and battiness it deserves.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Ann

Curious
# 94

Yes, memories of abominable loads and Gatport Airwick and the orchestra turning off into a lay-by when the travel news went on too long. And My father had a rabbit and he thought it was a duck ...

--------------------
Ann

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
A bad week all round. SF author and publisher Frederick Pohl has died.

As Ann said above, I didn't know he was still alive! [Waterworks]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

And the time you find out he's still alive is when he isn't!

--------------------
Ann

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fred Pohl :-(

And yes I did know he was alive.

Its been a bad year for sf writers.

He was one of the greatest. A good writer and a better editor. But his supreme achievement must have been discovering Cordwainer Smith. [Eek!] Its hard to imagine what it must have been like to see Scanners live in vain for the first time.

--------------------
Ken

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Ray Dolby, the inventor of the Dolby noise reduction methodology, is hearing the celestial choirs in Surround Sound.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British singer Joan Regan has died.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jimmy Herman has died. Probably not too well known outside of Canada, but he was one of the good guys.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Author Tom Clancy won't be hunting for Red October any longer.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Author Tom Clancy won't be hunting for Red October any longer.

Wow. I didn't see that plot twist coming at all!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

General Giap has died.

And I really had no idea he was still alive.

Outlived Tom Clancy though.

--------------------
Ken

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016