homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2012 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2012 Celebrity Death Pool
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Davy Jones of the Monkees has died of a heart attack at age 66.

The good brothers at Unvirtuous Abbey posted this morning "For those who catch the last train to Clarksville, we give thanks to the Lord." [Tear]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...and even as a piece of my childhood passed, I found myself thinking, "I wonder if anyone had him on their list?"

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sad about this. Loved Davy for a year or two in my teens. [Frown]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Tear]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is sad. I used to watch the Monkees TV show. It was fun, lighthearted entertainment. The music was the same, and they never had the scandals or outrage that so many other groups had.

An all round good guy.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw the Monkees live last year (Davy Jones, Micky Dolenz and Peter Tork anyway). They were superb. I'm so glad I had the chance - and took it.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I put the wrong Monkee (Peter Tork) on my list. Of course, the year is still young...

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Peter says his cancer has been treated effectively and is in remission, so he's off my list for the time being. Of course, you saw what that did for Amy Winehouse...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone have Philip Madoc?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And Lord St John of Fawsley has died. I always had a lot of respect for him, as he was prepared to stand up to The Bitch.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

I know he was a great actor, but he'll always be loved for his German U boat officer in Dad's Army. I first became aware of him reading Dylan Thomas on a BBC Wales programme called "Poems and Pints" - he had a fabulous voice.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ralph McQuarrie has gone to that great movie heaven. [Tear] His artistic vision helped give us a great movie legend.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:

... he'll always be loved for his German U boat officer in Dad's Army ...
"Don't tell, him, Pike!"

RIP Mr. Madoc.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I doubt if anyone had him, but Robert B. Sherman, composer of many popular film and theatre tunes (including the insufferable "It's a Small World After All"), is now busy seeing who in heaven can spell "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
quote:

... he'll always be loved for his German U boat officer in Dad's Army ...
"Don't tell, him, Pike!"

RIP Mr. Madoc.

Unfortunately, his name vas not on my list.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jimmy Ellis of the Trampps, 70's disco band and known for Saturday Night Fever song Disco Inferno.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Michael Hossack drummer for the Doobie Brothers has died.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mervyn Davies, "Merv the Swerve" has died.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Margaret Whitlam, wife of one of Australia's former pm's has died, one month short of their 70th wedding anniversary. Darn it, I had her hubby going first!

I always liked Margaret, ever since the elastic went on her skirt just as she stepped out of a limousine at a swish Hollywood restaurant. She ignored the offending garment as it slithered to the pavement, stepped out of it and went in to lunch in her pantyhose!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see The Pope has died, aged 88, after more than 40 years as Pope of Alexandria. His successor will inherit a very tricky role.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nobody picked this monarch , then?

[ 18. March 2012, 20:40: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
John Demjanjuk, who successfully defended himself against the charge that he was "Ivan the Terrible", a notoriously brutal guard at the Treblinka extermination camp, has gone either to be with his boss in the eternal flames of damnation, or to stand before the Judge who is not moved by even the slickest of defenses.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Samuel L. Glazer, inventor of the Mr. Coffee machine, is sampling the ultimate after-service coffee.

[ 24. March 2012, 02:03: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jocky Wilson, two times World Darts Champion, has died aged 62.

Forever immortalised in this glorious Top of the Pops gaffe.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, Cottontail! I was looking for that clip on You Tube but couldn't find it.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

Bluegrass legend Earl Scruggs

Best known for Foggy Mountain Breakdown

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Waterworks]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Goodness me, the only two things that kept us from Sunday dinner used to be the Beverley Hillbillies and Farming Diary (never forgotten the cartoon nematodes advertising Temik for sugarbeet - or was it spuds?).

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rest in peace, Adrienne Rich.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Ralph McQuarrie has gone to that great movie heaven. [Tear] His artistic vision helped give us a great movie legend.

Back on the Ship after getting a new computer ... Good to see Ralph mentioned in this thread. He was a real local hero, and by all accounts, as kind and generous as he was talented.

(We had his funeral at St Spike's - his widow is a long time member. George Lucas was there.)

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm sitting beside Amazing Grace. (Can I come to church with you?) [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jim Marshall has turned it up to 11 for the last time.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Jim Marshall has turned it up to 11 for the last time.

AG

Sad news.

Less sadly, 12 points for me.

R.I.P Jim. (No pun intended!)

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Ferdinand Alexander Porsche has just driven his prototype 911 through the Pearly Gates.

--------------------

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thomas Kinkade has died, aged 54.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Japes:
Thomas Kinkade has died, aged 54.

Fucking awful pictures, but the loss of a first class businessman.

YMMV

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mike Wallace's Sixty Minutes have run out.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

James S. Herr, founder of the potato chip/snack food company that bears his name, is partaking of the Heavenly Banquet at last.

--------------------

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miss Read (Dora Saint) has died aged 98. Her books on school life in the idyllic post-war English country village were loved by millions. My Mum was an avid reader of them.

RIP.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:
Miss Read (Dora Saint) has died aged 98.

I've never read any of her books, but I remember cataloguing them when I worked in the library as a student in the early 1980s, and wondering why she didn't have a Christian name (she was filed as "Read, Miss"). Now I know.

May she rest in peace.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

We shelve her books in the M's as 'Miss Read'.
I've never fully understood why. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
— Woody Guthrie

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is anyone counting down the minutes until Robin Gibbs boogies off to disco heaven?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From now on, Dick Clark will be hosting New Year's Rocking Eve from the Pearly Gates.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just heard. Holy shit.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dick Clark has gone to the Bandstand in the sky. I can't believe I left him off my list this year!

That sounds very cavalier (and it is), but another piece of my youth has crumbled. May light perpetual shine upon him.

Crossposted with the world.

[ 18. April 2012, 20:03: Message edited by: Organ Builder ]

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have him on my list, but I'm sad he's gone. I grew up with "American Bandstand." I still grade songs on the "It's got a good beat, and you can dance to it" scale. [Smile]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He was only 82? Geez!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

What teenager of the 60s didn't rush home from school every day and immedidately turn on the TV to watch American Bandstand? Truly the passing of an era.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
He was only 82? Geez!

He had a heart attack. He had developed diabetes in recent years, and Dr Sanjay Gupta [CNN is doing a whole thing on him right now] is explaining that your risk of heart attack doubles with diabetes.
Anderson Cooper has Little Richard on the phone at the moment and he sounds like he's crying.

It truly is the passing of an era.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
What teenager of the 60s didn't rush home from school every day and immedidately turn on the TV to watch American Bandstand? Truly the passing of an era.

That would be me, I guess.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016