homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2012 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2012 Celebrity Death Pool
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
Um, just to clarify, are you claiming those points? Because it seems to me that nobody has that name on any list. Or perhaps I'm being dense. [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
TB, do you mean that your omission killed him? [Eek!]

Next year, how do you feel about leaving off Robert Mugabe?

Maybe we can start another list of people we're leaving off our lists with points awarded for deaths of those on that list.
[Snigger]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Ernest Borgnine has just sailed the PT-73 to other shores.

Sigh... I had him in 2010.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
James Grout, actor - he was also the Professor in Old Harry's Game. Andy Hamilton promised his wife, Noreen, that the "biggest round of applause for the night" would be for James at the recordings on Sunday evening.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I doubt that anybody listed him, but Jim Packard, long-time announcer on Michael Feldman's Whad'yaknow radio show, died back in June. The rapport between Feldman and Packard was tremendous and added a lot to the show (rather like George Fenneman added to Groucho Marx's "You Bet Your Life"). I will miss him. Jim had a great radio voice.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Celeste Holm died early this morning at 95.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kitty Wells has joined the heavenly chorus. She was the very first female country music superstar with an impressive career. I'm not a fan of country music, but I admire her trailblazing and long career.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
7 Habits of Effective People author Stephen Covey has passed away due to a bicycle accident at age 79.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jon Lord, best remembered from his days with Deep Purple has died (of pancreatic cancer, which is an awful way to go [Votive] ).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The news is over for Sir Alastair Burnet

He has a classic newsreader's voice: calm and in control. I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not.

[ 20. July 2012, 10:16: Message edited by: The Rogue ]

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems as though it's the journalists' time now. Outspoken and controversial social and political critic Alexander Cockburn has written his last piece.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Men of forty or so will be sad to hear of the death of Angharad Rees. Thanks to her own name and that of her character in Poldark she caused a rash of girls named Angharad and Demelza, mostly at their father's suggestion.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alexander Cockburn has filed his last column.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sally Ride has flown her last mission

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Astronaut Sally Ride, age 61.

[Votive]

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sherman Hemsley is movin' on up...to a deluxe apartment in the sky.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

Chad Everett is now practicing medicine at the heavenly hospital.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not to be confused with C. Everett Koop, right? [Biased]

Edited to add: I've updated the scoreboard because I missed Light User's pick of Samuel Youd earlier. My apologies for that.

[ 27. July 2012, 21:15: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Geoffrey Hughes has died aged 68, I'm afraid that's another 32 points for me.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary Tamm, best known for playing Romana on Doctor Who before regenerating into Lalia Ward, died Thursday.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Don't think anyone had her but Maeve Binchy has died at 72 and
Tony Martin at 98, not sure about anyone having him, but I wouldn't have gone for only 2 points.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
bummer about Maeve Binchy. I was a fan.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone had Gore Vidal?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Anyone had Gore Vidal?

AG

Not that we know of [Biased]

Quite a guy, RIP Gore Vidal.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know whether anyone had him, but Sir Bernard Lovell has died, one of the pioneers of radio-astronomy.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

Marvin Hamlisch is now composing for the heavenly musicians. The music industry has been losing a lot this year.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
Marvin Hamlisch is now composing for the heavenly musicians.

Or de-composing, as the case may be.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Carlo Curley passed away today. Another Heavenly musician.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very sad to hear about Carlo - I remember with fondness (and a slight headache) an evening in his company in Belfast fuelled by many bottles of Chardonnay.

Great musician and all-round Good Chap - may he rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Last time on the ockey for Sid Waddell.

One of his many quotes: "William Tell could take an apple off your head, [Phil] Taylor could take out a processed pea."

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The director of the only Willy Wonka film, Mel Stuart, has died.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

[Hot and Hormonal] for misspelling oche

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

Helen Gurley Brown Fiesty former Cosmopolitan editor has died.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

Ron Palillo, otherwise known has Horshack, has joined fellow sweathog Epstein in heaven.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Harry Harrison, RIP [Frown]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

[Waterworks] The Stainless Steel Rat was the first place I encountered a hero who wasn't good.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Saxophanist Bill Tillman is free from blood sweat and tears.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

[Waterworks] The Stainless Steel Rat was the first place I encountered a hero who wasn't good.
And Bill The Galactic Hero anticipated Hitchhikers Guide in the sharp-edged SF parody department by a decade and a half, and totally took the piss out of Heinlein's crypto-fascist phase. And he invented steampunk. Harry never got the credit he deserved.

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
And he invented steampunk.

You mean maybe A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! Hurrah!? A fun book.
quote:

Harry never got the credit he deserved.

Well he did in the rather small corner of fandom that was the Friday evening Brighton pub meeting!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tony Scott anyone?

[Edited to fix link. [Smile] iF]

[ 20. August 2012, 17:40: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear, looks like a bad link, sorry about that.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Very tragic. RIP

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The world is a little less funny today. Phyllis Diller.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll miss her. She was a funny lady, and an accomplished pianist. I know she was 95, but I wish she could have been spared a bit longer...

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Dom Mintoff, who made Malta a genuinely independent nation, has died at 96. Proof that fire in the belly doesn't shorten your life.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone have one giant leap for Neil Armstrong ?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Anyone have one giant leap for Neil Armstrong ?

Yes.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

No only Armstrong there is Lance

and Imaginary Friend - I am claiming Geoffrey Hughes

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

Legendary Songwriter Hal Davis of the song writing duo Burt Backrach/Hal Davis has gone to write for the heavenly choir.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Max Bygraves crooning with the angels now.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016