homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2012 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2012 Celebrity Death Pool
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This quote from Brian May summed it up for me:

"There will never be another Patrick Moore. But we were lucky enough to get one."

Jupiter is high at the moment, if it's clear tonight I will be out looking and hoping Sir Patrick would appreciate the gesture. Anyone with a Clanger in their observatory is on my list of Good Blokes.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did Sir Patrick really have a Clanger? I always reckoned he was a Very Good Egg, but that's put him even further up in my estimation.

May he rest in peace.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He did - I remember when a mini-tornado knocked his observatory off its foundations seeing footage of him picking it up and dusting it down.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Didn't he also have a tree in his garden? And one evening it got between his telescope and his observations of the moon? And in the morning there was a stump in his garden?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ravi Shankar has gone to see his sweet Lord. [Votive]

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kenneth Kendall, the BBC news reporter, has died.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just for the record, I haven't forgotten about the scoreboard for this incarnation of the Death Pool (geddit?!)

I expect that I shall go through and tally up the points some time over the Christmas break. But I'll post again whenever I've made some strides in updating the list.

iF
[Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For those of you who are interested, please form a line to the left, or right, as you prefer.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I doubt anyone had him, but Hawaii Senator Daniel Inouye died today. He was a good man.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed, he was.

Well done, thou good and faithful servant!

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The way he combined dignity and restraint with the relentless pursuit of truth in the Watergate hearings was awesome. Then there's this, a war story that Rambo couldn't have imagined.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also known for his role in Watergate and for his failed nomination to the Supreme Court Robert Bork has died.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jack Klugman, most famous for The Odd Couple and Quincy, M.E., has passed on.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Frown]

Oscar, Oscar, Oscar...

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've just lost Charles Durning.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Thunderbirds have gone...

Gerry Anderson has died at 83.

AG

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another of the geniuses of my childhood. His creations spurred my interest in SyFy and space and science.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Anything can happen in the next half hour!"

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fireball XL5 was the programme that introduced me to SyFy. Goodbye Robert the Robot.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The composer Sir Richard Rodney Bennett has died; I would link to his obituary in the Telegraph if they'd let me into their website.

By sheer coincidence, we're singing one of his carols, Out of your sleep, at our carol service on Sunday.

RIP [Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would it be uncharitable for me to tell George HW Bush to hurry up?

I need some points this year!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Charity, as they say, begins at home!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If he did then seven people would have to change their elections for 2013.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jane Dixon, suffragan bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, DC, from 1992 to 2002, has died.

Bishop Jane was the second woman to be consecrated a bishop in the Episcopal Church (after Barbara Harris, bishop of Massachusetts from 1989 to 2003) and the third in the Anglican Communion.

In 2001 Bishop Jane garnered attention when she refused to license the Revd Samuel Edwards as rector of a church in Maryland due to his stance against women priests and bishops and his views on homosexuality. During a visitation to Edwards' church she was barred entrance and had to celebrate the Eucharist outside the building, while Edwards held services inside. She eventually sued successfully in court to have Edwards removed from his post, but the suit was dropped after several appeals.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No Rescue for Fontella Bass

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Stormin' Norman has marched on Heaven's gates.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Would it be uncharitable for me to tell George HW Bush to hurry up?

He's in intensive care; have patience! [Big Grin]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ray Collins has died. Without him, perhaps no Mother's of Invention.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tony Greig, England cricketer from South Africa, has died at just 66.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

That's very young, especially for a sportsperson.

I worry for the year when the majority of people on this list die younger than me.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jean Harris, secretary, mistress and murderer of Dr. Herman Tarnower, inventor of the Scarsdale Diet (he dedicated the book to her), will have only grapefruit and a tuna plate, thank you, at the heavenly banquet.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

William Rees-Mogg has died. All I know about him is that he did not shy from the limelight.

We do seem to have had quite a haul at the tail end of the year.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Jean Harris, secretary, mistress and murderer ... will have only grapefruit and a tuna plate, thank you, at the heavenly banquet.

If she was a murderer, are you sure she's going in that direction? [Devil]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

She did her time -- how she weighs in on the scales of everlasting justice is a matter between her and her Creator.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Cannot believe I missed this one. Hubert Sumlin has died.
Howlin' Wolf's Reincarnating Blues Band has just gotten a bit better. (Or Heavenly Blues Band, if you prefer)

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The web page will be updated soon - I haven't forgotten.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Okay. After much waiting (sorry again) I have tallied the final scores. The link is here, and I guess everyone should check their scores over to make sure I haven't forgotten anything or made and arithmetical errors.

But based on those provisional results, the podium positions are as follows:
  1. Curiosity Killed... with 111 points.
  2. Gwai with 108 points.
  3. Mamacita with 105 points.
The Quantity Not Quality Award goes to Gwai who had four correct predictions. (That's very impressive!)

And finally, the Inside Track With The Grim Reaper award is shared between Amazing Grace, Cottontail, Curiosity Killed..., Eloise, Gwai, Light User, Mamacita, Niteowl2, and Timothy the Obscure for correctly predicting that Ella James would kick the bucket on January 20th.

So, thanks to all who took part, and fingers crossed the 2013 incarnation of this game will be just as fun.

iF

--------------------
Brian Clough

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you again for all your work, IF! We don't seem to have an applause smilie, so I'll have to go with [Overused]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, thanks so much! That's been a lot of work over the course of a year+. Kudos! [Big Grin]

And The Rogue, you have my sympa...er staunch support in the task that you are already starting so splendidly. [Biased]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another thank you for all your hard work throughout the year.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

IF, you have nothing for which you should apologise; if it weren't for the hard work you put in, the game wouldn't have existed at all. Have a nice rest, and good luck to The Rogue taking up the reins.

[Overused] to you both.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, IF, for running this in 2012 and to The Rogue for picking up the ball for 2013.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, IF and good luck to The Rogue.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another grateful Death Pool guesser. Thanks, IF...and thanks to The Rogue for taking this task on!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Another grateful Death Pool guesser. Thanks, IF...and thanks to The Rogue for taking this task on!

I second this. Thanks both, I do enjoy doing this much to the disgust of my family...

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016