homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Can someone in favour of this concept explain to me what the purpose is of making a 1-on-1 argument visible to the entire Ship?

The actual argument can already be done via PM. I don't currently perceive the benefit of allowing the same thing to be done in front of a non-participatory viewing audience.

It can be justified for the same reasons that we have seen dogpiling justified- that there is a broader, community interest in the personal dispute, in which there are many stakeholders. The justification for making a personal argument public is therefore the public interest. The justification for having the MAAN thread as well as Hell is that it gives the adjuvant opportunity for that personal argument to take place without public interference, which often precludes resolution.
I fail to see how you can describe people as 'stakeholders' in one part of this paragraph, and then say the same people are responsible for 'public interference' in another.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for the record, where has a Host (or anyone else, really) said that dogpiling is justifiable in the public or community interest? It's a long thread.....

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe Marvin said so, though I'm afraid I'm not going to back that up by searching through all the threads to find a link.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I've said is that in my years of hosting Hell I cannot recall a single "dogpile" that wasn't richly deserved.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, and you've made your viewpoint clear enough on what sort of 'dogpile' they richly deserve.
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
He's very much due a good old-fashioned six-page tranche of posters telling him what an irredeemable fucking waste of carbon he is at such a pace that he can't even get a post of his own in and is reduced to weeping uncontrollably in the corner of his computer room - a cowed, broken shell of a creature where once stood a human being.

That's what I think, anyway.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, and you've made your viewpoint clear enough on what sort of 'dogpile' they richly deserve.
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
He's very much due a good old-fashioned six-page tranche of posters telling him what an irredeemable fucking waste of carbon he is at such a pace that he can't even get a post of his own in and is reduced to weeping uncontrollably in the corner of his computer room - a cowed, broken shell of a creature where once stood a human being.

That's what I think, anyway.

Hyperhole is lost on you isn't it? [Big Grin]

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

The hyperness of his hole is most certainly not lost on me.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The hyperness of his hole is most certainly not lost on me.

Hostly Tiara On

Personal attacks do not belong in the Styx. If you want to fight with Marvin, take it elsewhere.

Hostly Tiara Off

Tubbs
Styx Host

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

I apologise. Sorry, Marvin, and also Tubbs.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016