homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Benny Diction 2:
In other words, my experience, on brief visits to hell, is that Hosts can be as vitriolic and at times nasty as they wish but it seems in this case at least Shipmates aren't allowed to be.

If you think this was just about Evensong being vitriolic and nasty then you've missed the point just as badly as she did.

Vitriol is fine in Hell. So is nastiness. Deliberately posting inflammatory stuff for no reason other than to wind other people up falls under neither of those categories. Never has, never will.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She wasn't vitriolic in Hell -much. She was smug about her efforts to get a rise out of people.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I hope Evensong does appeal and come back to the other boards. I agree she didn't seem to "get" Hell, and I see why she was planked, but she certainly "got" the ethos of the other boards and I, for one, will miss her.

She did not "get" the ethos of Keryg.

I apologize for the length of this post and the number of quotes. It's the only way I know of to show you the kind of thing she did.

On this thread she demonstrated that quite clearly. She began with a thoughtful OP asking why Jesus didn't write down what he wanted us to know.

This led to a discussion of whether Jesus was literate. Then Evensong said that Jesus was a peasant and therefore illiterate. When I pointed out the passage in Luke where Jesus reads in the synagogue she said
quote:
I think there is considerable discussion in scholarly circles about whether Jesus was literate or not. If he was literate, then he wasn't likely a peasant.
Then I posted
quote:
As far as Jesus's literacy is concerned, I noticed in Luke 4:16-20 that when Jesus was handed the scroll of Isaiah, he unrolled it and found the place he wanted. He either could read or he was putting on an act. I don't believe he was the type to put on an act.

Evensong replied with
quote:
I think the argument for texts like Luke is the evangelists poetic license when it came to Jesus' literacy. *shrug*. Dunno. Doesn't really matter.
To which Lamb Chopped replied
quote:
Well, it matters in a discussion of why Jesus apparently did not choose to write himself!
And I replied
quote:
How do you determine what is and what is not "poetic license" in the gospels?
Evensong replied
quote:
Hard question. Probably in a similar way you do.
Jengie Jon wrote
quote:
Poetic license isn't the license to write a patent un truth. Its a license to build believable representations based on relatively few known facts. So it must be believable that Jesus as a Jewish rabbi would be able to read from Hebrew scrolls in a synagogue from people who weren't too distant from the synagogue.
And I said
quote:
I don't think anything in the gospels is poetic license.
Evensong replied
quote:
No? So you think they are purely historical documents?

I think they are a mix of history and theology.

I replied
quote:
I agree.

However, poetic license is not proper in history or theology.

Evensong replied
quote:
Maybe not. But those evangelists weren't like us proper types. [Biased]
Bullfrog said
quote:
And if you regard any evidence of him reading as authorial intent or "poetic license," then how can you tell you're not eisogeting according to your own prejudice?
Evensong said
quote:
I can't. I just don't think there is conclusive evidence either way. And like I said before, I don't really think it matters.
If it didn't really matter, why did she bring it up in the first place? I'm not sure whether her posts on this thread were intended to wind us up or to make sure she had the last word.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keryg sounds cool. Where the hell is it?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:

Keryg is located slightly below theology, between sincerity and unrest, a couple of notches above playfulness, and a fair distance away from earnestness.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have had no experience of Evensong's postings so make no specific comment.

My observation on this in general though is "sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes" ("Who guards the guards?" "Who watches the watchmen?")

In other words, my experience, on brief visits to hell, is that Hosts can be as vitriolic and at times nasty as they wish but it seems in this case at least Shipmates aren't allowed to be.

Yes we need moderators. But do Shipmates get egged on by the very outspoken behaviour of the Hellish hosts I wonder? In other words, if Hell Hosts reined themselves back would that set the standard they are now trying to enforce?

1. "Guarding the guardians" is an important issue in democracies.

2. The Ship isn't one.

3. Example-setting is vital in child-rearing.

4. The Ship's Officers don't stand in loco parentis -- urk, sorry, in place of parents.

5. Deal with it.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

With respect to your experience, I could not disagree more. The issue here is not flinging vitriole and nastiness around. This is about engaging or refusing to engage, as many others have said. The hosting in hell is first rate in my humble experience. If hosts participate, they do so as shipmates, not as hosts.

The trickiness here seems to be about the role of Admin. As hellhost Spike has indicated, an admin like RooK is of a considerably higher status than a host. The OP reads like Evensong believed admins need to act in the same way as hosts, i.e. not act in the official capacity if they have been participating as a shipmate in a thread.

This is a legitimate point of view. It would seem that over the years watching the rare occasions when Admins act as such, it is evident that there is no such requirement upon admins.

I reckon at some point you either have to accept that that is the way it is, and either pull your head in and participate or leave.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
an admin like RooK...

There are other admins like RooK?
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
...is of a considerably higher status than a host

Coff.
I don't even know where to start with my pisstake of this.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anybody needed a rock-solid example of non-engagement, the post just above this one is perfect.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Oh, I'm sorry. Er. Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said, totally sans vitriolicness.

There.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. Er. Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said, totally sans vitriolicness.

There.

Plank this man. Plank him. He wrote 'sans' without translating. I've had enough of this enfant terrible.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

Oy. Curb your vitriolicness, you ghastly croissant!

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
He wrote 'sans' without translating.

quote:
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything
If Shakespeare thought ‘sans’ was an English word, that’s good enough for me.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
ghastly croissant!

As Dave Barry would say, a great name for a rock band.

Vitriolling, perhaps?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
1. "Guarding the guardians" is an important issue in democracies.

2. The Ship isn't one.

3. Example-setting is vital in child-rearing.

4. The Ship's Officers don't stand in loco parentis -- urk, sorry, in place of parents.

5. Deal with it.

6. Profit.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
If Shakespeare thought ‘sans’ was an English word, that’s good enough for me.

Although it was a character with a French name that he gave the line to, if I remember correctly.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn. That shoots my theory right out of the water. Now I’ll have to see how many Danish words Hamlet uses. And how many Yiddish for Shylock.

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I myself am fond of "vitriolity".

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
I'm a brand spanking newbie and even I know that if Erin shows up it's time to shut up and pay attention.

The Force is strong with this one.
Respectfully begging your pardon, Campbellite, it is not as strong as it might be.

The metaphysical lesson here, as the world turns, is that when RooK turns up, without or with an Ecotopian analogue of the Rusty Farm Implement, it's time to shut the fuck up. The part about paying attention seems to be highly desirable, but not strictly necessary.

He's the de-fucking-fenestrator for crying out loud—whatever language that is.

And this sparkling lesson is set next to the dreariest, eye-crossingest meta-whingeing on the adjacent threads on the meta-topics of tolerance, trolling, and planking.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I myself am fond of "vitriolity".

What's wrong with just plain vitriol?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
He's the de-fucking-fenestrator for crying out loud...

I don't really know what that means, but it gives me this kinda oogly-woogly feeling in my stomach...

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
What's wrong with just plain vitriol?

It needs a splash of lemon to add flavour.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vitriol, vitriolicity, vitriolesse. Meh. Use whichever you like.

Very like a writer I edit who loves to write on the subject of serving God instead of pleasing yourself. At least, I think that's what he means. He has a taste for longer words, and always writes "pleasuring yourself."

I haven't yet thought of a way to let him know that... um... never mind.

[Devil]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it was what it actually said, not only the Frenchness of the phrase.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vitriol is the thing. Vitriolity is the property of the thing that has vitriol. They're performing two different linguistic tasks.

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It is cool.

I only wish I had the mental equipment to play there.

BTW, isn't vitriol what Ulysses Everett McGill used for his hair?

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm a brand spanking newbie and even I know that if Erin shows up it's time to shut up and pay attention.

Respectfully begging your pardon, Campbellite, it is not as strong as it might be.
With barely more than 100 posts, Niteowl2 understands the simple fact that you do NOT want to mess with an Admin, not Erin, not RooK. In the dim mists of the ancient times on board the Ship, the newbie Campbellite inadvertently ran afoul of Erin. I still bear the scars of her love bite as a reminder. Nite owl gets it. The planked one never did.
quote:
The metaphysical lesson here, as the world turns, is that when RooK turns up, without or with an Ecotopian analogue of the Rusty Farm Implement, it's time to shut the fuck up. The part about paying attention seems to be highly desirable, but not strictly necessary.

It's English of course.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

And this sparkling lesson is set next to the dreariest, eye-crossingest meta-whingeing on the adjacent threads on the meta-topics of tolerance, trolling, and planking.

Well, the planked one was confused about RooK's posting in hell in addition to being Admin. One should know to pay attention when any Admin speaks to you, but if you don't, the rare presence of Erin should bring one up short. It didn't in this case. I may not have the strong presence of the force and may be the lightweight newbie, but even I know that.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Damn. That shoots my theory right out of the water. Now I’ll have to see how many Danish words Hamlet uses. And how many Yiddish for Shylock.

Touché. We seem to have reached an impasse, à propos of the foreign words patois debacle. It’s a fait accompli, but although I’m au fait with that, I’m not blasé. I know it’s a cliché, and I don’t wish to be a provocateur here, but I feel we can enjoy a good rapport without sabotaging the raison d'être of this unique venue (and the café). Although we cannot have total carte-blanche, it would be nice to have a fairly laissez-fair- nay, avant-garde- attitude en route, and permit a little soupcon of mots juste for the sake of the joie de vivre. So! Let us ignore the façade of hauteur amongst the bourgeois clique! Let us celebrate the foreignness of the œuvre, without fear of gaffe or faux pas! Quelle horreur! Let us abandon this malaise and ennui! Raise your aperitif, my dear friend and raconteur extraordinaire! To English!

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Touché. We seem to have reached an impasse, à propos of the foreign words patois debacle. It’s a fait accompli, but although I’m au fait with that, I’m not blasé. I know it’s a cliché, and I don’t wish to be a provocateur here, but I feel we can enjoy a good rapport without sabotaging the raison d'être of this unique venue (and the café). Although we cannot have total carte-blanche, it would be nice to have a fairly laissez-fair- nay, avant-garde- attitude en route, and permit a little soupcon of mots juste for the sake of the joie de vivre. So! Let us ignore the façade of hauteur amongst the bourgeois clique! Let us celebrate the foreignness of the œuvre, without fear of gaffe or faux pas! Quelle horreur! Let us abandon this malaise and ennui! Raise your aperitif, my dear friend and raconteur extraordinaire! To English!
I am reminded* of the commentator during the Cold War who informed TV viewers that the Russians have no word for détente.

*but not sufficiently to remember his name.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was Reagan.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't W say that the French had no word for entrepreneur?

And Yorick, you should remember to get your endings to agree... [Razz]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enough jokes in the Styx. Feel free to test the humour of the Hosts on a more-appropriate board.

-RooK
Styx Host

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read it all.

Rook, you said you were out to get Evensong from the very outset.

And you, along with your perverse and simpering coterie of voyeurs got her. Well done.

I hate this website.

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why are you still here then?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Marshall

Shipmate
# 7533

- Posted      Profile for Dave Marshall     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:

Link?
Posts: 4763 | From: Derbyshire Dales | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
IntellectByProxy

Larger than you think
# 3185

- Posted      Profile for IntellectByProxy   Author's homepage   Email IntellectByProxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hate this website.
So go away then. Simples.

You are a guest in the Admins' house. Play by their rules, accept that they have the right to be as capricious and whimsical as they wish*, and when you get called on something the correct response is "yes sir, sorry sir, won't happen again sir".

As has oft' been said - the ship is not a democracy. If you don't like it, move elsewhere.

If it had been up to me, Evensong would have been planked just for being irritating. Luckily it's not up to me, because I would be even more capricious and whimsical.

*thankfully they don't excercise this right much.

--------------------
www.zambiadiaries.blogspot.com

Posts: 3482 | From: The opposite | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I provided a proper space for comments on Numpty's post.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
I read it all.

I have no doubt you fully read the particular Hell thread. I'm less certain you've read the full contributions of Evensong for the last few months. She was not unlike the "little girl who had a little curl"... when she was good, she was very, very good--but when she was bad she would call a Shipmate a Troll in Purgatory.

In other words, like most who walk the plank she had a large context which went beyond the particular Hell thread. Had she been planked from Heaven, Purgatory, Kerygmania or any other board except Hell, I suspect it would have been given a less capricious appearance.

That doesn't mean I think her planking was capricious--I just think there was a bit of "cat and mouse" because of the particular board where she chose to self-destruct.

I've had two run-ins myself with Rook--once he gave me a very stern warning in Styx, which upon reflection I realized was fully justified. I apologized immediately, and I've tried to be more careful in my postings. Ultimately, it was a good thing.

The second time I PM'ed him with a question so abyssmally stupid I still blush to think of it. He answered it nonetheless, without the justified degree of finger-pointing and laughing.

Those aren't the only two posts or messages I regret. On the other hand, I've written many a post which, while previewing it, I decided to kill. I've never once regretted what I failed to say in those posts. At any time in the process, all Evensong had to do was be silent. As I've often learned to my own chagrin, that's easier to say than to do

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine

# 66

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
I've written many a post which, while previewing it, I decided to kill. I've never once regretted what I failed to say in those posts.

quote:
"I would say to Robertson what an old tutor of a college said to one of his pupils:'Read over your compositions, and where ever you meet with a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out.'"

Boswell: Life of Johnson

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sine, have you ever considered writing an advice column with a focus on comportment, manners, social skils and proper dress for formal and casual occasions?
Something tells me you would be good at it!

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had the very thing, Dear Sine
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Organ Builder:
I've written many a post which, while previewing it, I decided to kill. I've never once regretted what I failed to say in those posts.

Although my detractors may not believe it, I have learned over the course of my tenure here how to do this. I have not regretted any of those decisions either.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

Before Evensong crossed swords with RooK, she had made many posts which seriously distracted attention from the topic of the thread she was posting on.

In this post I showed how she repeatedly did this with one thread in Keryg. I noticed her doing it more briefly on other threads.

She came to the admins' attention because she was being a jerk in many places.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I recall one post where she told somebody they had no right to be a parent, and refused to back down when called on it.

--------------------

Liberty

ship's football fanatic
# 713

- Posted      Profile for Liberty   Email Liberty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo (and others), thanks for taking the time to explain to us your perspective.

I am one of the people who was saying that I had seen Evensong play nicely on other threads/boards. But hearing that she had been causing issues, and being disingenuous elsewhere (and that this wasn't a one off) put it into context.

You don't have to explain to us, but it has helped me understand.

I guess this is why there are multiple hosts, communicating with each other, because sometimes it isn't a one off problem, but part of a bigger picture.

OK, this all sounds very much like sucking up, but meh, never mind.

Lib x

--------------------
"I'ma be what I set out to be, without a doubt, undoubtedly"

Posts: 1879 | From: SW2 to 20009 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no opinion on Evensong - I haven't seen enough of her to say the described pattern of behaviour exists/doesn't exist.

However I have noticed here and on other boards that there is a particular kind of trolling that goes on where people exploit the perceived weaknesses in an organisation that is broadly 'Christian' in its ethos.

The pattern of being warm and supportive in some circumstances and towards certain people, and being rude and abusive in others (and particularly anyone who is trying to impose rules and modify the bad behaviour) is one that I recognise.

If someone is being given wriggle room and the benefit of the doubt, and uses that to disrupt a community, in the end someone has to call time.

[ 09. October 2010, 11:18: Message edited by: Arrietty ]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having only read Evensong's hell and purgatory threads, my guess is that Evensong was acquainted with a set of beliefs that she thought were cool. She expressed those opinions on various threads. People disagreed with her. She was unable to support her opinions in an open debate. So, Evensong resorted to what she called piss farting about which annoyed everybody and ultimately led to her planking.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a retired host (and also someone who found the Ship before 2001), I have a few comments.

Now that I'm simply a shipmate again, reading what I want and when I want, I do find that the shore leave and banning notices seem to simply pop up out of the blue. So I guess I can understand the concerns raised about that and the desire for explanations.

But I also know firsthand how much time and work goes into those decisions. Unlike the odd hand slap given by a host for a simple C-whatever offense, shore leave (temporary or permanent) has is rarely done without a lot of discussion and debate.

And if you don't care for the semi-despotic quality of the Admins, do consider that Simon and Ancient Mariner (not despotic at all) recruited Erin (major despot) and they have happily (and all unpaid) kept this website going for what in internet terms probably approaches Methusalah.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
The pattern of being warm and supportive in some circumstances and towards certain people, and being rude and abusive in others (and particularly anyone who is trying to impose rules and modify the bad behaviour) is one that I recognise.

If someone is being given wriggle room and the benefit of the doubt, and uses that to disrupt a community, in the end someone has to call time.

You know, I have seen that kind of behaviour before in churches but never connected it to behaviour on the ship. Well spotted.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016