homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: Rook - Could it be true? hell thread
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
We had the very thing, Dear Sine

If Uncle Sine wanted to do this, he would be VERY successful at it. VERY.

sorry for the digress, I saw the opportunity to reiterate what the other 2 shipmates were saying and I took it.

I guess I think this thread is a waste of time as RooK has done nothing wrong. But sadly the communication does not seem to be making it to Evensong.

[edited to try to stay on topic.]

[ 09. October 2010, 16:20: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
You know, I have seen that kind of behaviour before in churches but never connected it to behaviour on the ship.

And how. And so very how.

As a great fan of evensong (the service) I have had to remind myself not to get paranoid when reading this thread, with its criticism of evensong at approximately every other post. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Why are you still here then?

On the one hand I'm here in the hope that things will improve. I'd genuinely like to see the high-jacking of Hell for the practice of gang bullying and ostracism being discouraged as strongly as other offences such as trolling.

On the other hand I'm just sort of hanging about in a state of curious irritation as I wait for my membership of the Ship of Fools to be deleted as per my email and pm request to you shortly after my first post on this thread.

I asked for my membership to be deleted for a number of reasons. Firstly, it will help me to draw a line under my time here on the Ship and prevent me from the entirely erroneous - but somehow weirdly appealing - idea that 4000 + posts is some kind of investment in something.

Secondly, it will discourage me from lurking with intent to post, which for some peculiar reason - no doubt due to my own inadequacies - is what I'm often tempted to do.

Thirdly, it will enable me to finally disassociate myself from an online community that I once really enjoyed but has, IMO, allowed itself to be hijacked by a co-dependent federation of abusive forum bullies.

[ 09. October 2010, 21:27: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the Ship is really the besetting sin you make it out to be for yourself, having someone else delete your account is going to be about as effective as emptying the bottles of booze from an alcoholic's house when there's an off-licence next door.

The solution to your professed problem involves you taking responsibility for posting - or refraining from doing so, whether temporarily or indefinitely.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly. But sometimes it's possible for such gestures can take on sacramental significance Eutychus. [Biased]

[ 09. October 2010, 22:02: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Asking the Admins to provide the Ship equivalent of suicide-by-cop is bad enough.

Trying to claim it would be something sacramental is really over the top.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't usually delete accounts. I see no reason to delete in this case.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just change your password to something long and cryptic that you can't remember. It should work just as well (as long as you actually log out at some point.)
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Block the site from your firewall.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So in the space of two posts the Ship has gone from being "hijacked by a co-dependent federation of abusive forum bullies" to being capable of administering something of "sacramental significance"?

My next move would have been to suggest the same solution as Carex. But this little exchange suggests to me that Sine is right.

[ 10. October 2010, 06:01: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

No.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:

If that really is the case, then Simon and Alan should have said that in reply to my PM.

Also, the fact that you see 'no reason' to delete my membership despite the fact that I've personally and politely asked for my membership to be deleted in a PM to the head honcho is an example of exactly what's gone wrong with the Ship of Fools.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
So in the space of two posts the Ship has gone from being "hijacked by a co-dependent federation of abusive forum bullies" to being capable of administering something of "sacramental significance"?

My next move would have been to suggest the same solution as Carex. But this little exchange suggests to me that Sine is right.

I was referencing Sine's post - hence the smiley. I thought the irony was clear.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Asking the Admins to provide the Ship equivalent of suicide-by-cop is bad enough.

Interesting analogy, but it doesn't work. It's not suicide by cop: it's just politely asking some people who run a website to delete my membership because I no longer buy into what their website is about.

[ 10. October 2010, 06:40: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

You now have a plethora of solutions enabling you to cease posting which you can implement without having to involve anyone else.

If you don't, then you take responsibility for what you post and assume others are going to interact with it. That's sort of the point of a bulletin board.

If you bare your soul to explain that the reason you're here is that the mean heartless bullying admins have failed to administer something of sacramental value by refusing to comply with your request to be deleted, thus forcing you to continue to post, expect responses. And if you continue to be so elliptical in your replies, expect more posts directed at you in Hell.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Call me Numpty:
Also, the fact that you see 'no reason' to delete my membership despite the fact that I've personally and politely asked for my membership to be deleted in a PM to the head honcho is an example of exactly what's gone wrong with the Ship of Fools.

Cross-posted.

Numpty, it's the nature of the Intertubes that even if your membership is deleted, your posts will stay. You can't unsay what you have said or make it disappear.

The only practical difference I can see between you voluntarily ceasing posting and having the admins delete your membership is who takes responsibility for the action. In this case I really can't see how the admins attempting to treat you like a responsible adult epitomises everything you claim is wrong with the Ship.

In the meantime, you just keep on posting. Which is evidence that you don't really want to leave and the reason for Sine's allusion.

If you're serious about leaving, do what Carex says. Open your profile page, type in a new password without looking at the keys, don't ask your browser to remember it, save the change and log out. Voilà. And so long as you don't do that, for better for worse you are part of this community and I for one will assume that, for whatever reason, that's what you want.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd genuinely like to see the high-jacking of Hell for the practice of gang bullying and ostracism being discouraged as strongly as other offences such as trolling.

You're not alone in that. Where you differ from many of the rest of us is that we don't see any gang bullying to address. The accusation of bullying on the Ship is one that's regularly made, but when asked for examples the response is always the same - vague references to something non-specific, links to examples that in virtually all cases the hosts had commented on anyway, or specific examples taken out of context. You seem to be in the third category; several people taking the opportunity express their frustration at a Shipmate in Hell does not constitute bullying, just Hell working as it should.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The PTB treating us as adults (e.g. not playing net nanny for us, but expecting us to have the backbone to stop posting if that's what we want to do) is something that's very right about the ship.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What you mean is, they don't do as you tell them, and others think differently than you do, and that is what is wrong about SOF.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously, if you can't take a break from a site that's winding you up then you have a problem.

I can't see what good deleting your membership would do in that case because you can still look at it.

I was once involved with a site which had developed a convention whereby people asked for their membership to be deleted when they were unhappy in some way, in many cases it didn't work because they just asked to be made members again when they'd got over it a bit.

It also generated 'suicide notes' whereby people posted criticisms of whoever had upset them then pushed off before anyone could take issue with their version of events.

There even used to be messages from 'beyond the grave' posted by friends who had been asked to 'tell so and so I forgive them.'

People did really talk as if they had died rather than stopped posting on a website they didn't like. It was completely over the top.

You don't need to be deleted to stop participating. Just take it off your favourites, do what has been suggested to give yourself an unmemorable password and exercise a bit of self control. You know, like when you give up smoking or go on a diet because it's good for you.

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
The PTB treating us as adults (e.g. not playing net nanny for us, but expecting us to have the backbone to stop posting if that's what we want to do) is something that's very right about the ship.

So, refusing to cancel memberships for people that expressly want to formally disassociate from the Ship is a Good Thing&trade? I'm sorry Mousethief I just don't get that.
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying not to be cynical here, but maybe Numpty wants to be able to say that the decision to leave was taken out of his hands; he was 'deleted' by the Admins, even though he hadn't done anything to be legitmately planked. 'Look, I told you they were tyrants and despots - they cancelled my membership!'

Surely integrity alone would prevent someone sincere about giving up the Ship from relinquishing the exercise of their own choice; whether by abdicating their own adult free will, or attempting to manipulate Admins into doing what they want.

I'm in thrall to Mars Bars but I'm not blaming the chocolate company for not coming round to my house and tying me to the sofa every time I want to pig out! And certainly not for existing in the first place.

Come on, Numpty. By all means complain about the system, but if you've no intention of giving the Ship up, just get used to the idea that as well as those who agree with you, some won't.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You want to 'formally' disassociate yourself from the Ship?

Take out an ad; buy airspace on commercial radio. Send in copy to any one of a hundred thousand free advertizers and newspapers, that'll print your rant FOC.

Follow the example of the folks who have 'unbaptism' services. Write a liturgy; have a service in your church. Blog. Put up a banner across your front door. Create your own bumper sticker. Go on community TV.

Or how about just not associating yourself with the thing you don't want to be associated with? The power is with you, Numpty. No-one else.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only reason I can see for needing to cancel a membership is if it costs you money.

If I want to leave a club, I cancel - so that I don't need to pay into it any more.

The Ship costs you no money - just leave.

I know it's not easy. As I said before, I left a site I was very deeply involved with. It took me a month or two to stop reading it entirely - but I never visit at all now - and I am in touch with the good friends I made there on Facebook. So no loss.

It can be done.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a relative newcomer, I don't know Call Me Numpty, though he seems to have chosen an apt screen name. The problem here is simple: he doesn't want to leave. He wants to be abused.

And all you lovely people with your helpful suggestions aren't cooperating.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If that really is the case, then Simon and Alan should have said that in reply to my PM.
It's not like I can prevent them from deleting your account. I was just noting the facts as I see them. In this case, the only real effect of deleting your account would appear to be give you an excuse to disassociate yourself from your own comment history. That's not really in anyone's interests, as far as I can tell.

The sacramental martyrdom aspect you seem to be seeking is probably best if it were 100% self-generated.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as a point of information, from the Ship's Privacy Statement:

quote:
Unsubscribe and data removal policies – If you would like to remove your name and email address from our bulletin board registration database, you can request removal by sending a private message to one of the Member Admins.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the issue is that Numpty sees membership of the ship as similar to membership of the Labour Party - i.e. it implies agreement with a particular ethos or set of objectives.

As he is no longer in sympathy with the Ship's ethos (as he sees it), therefore he wants to formally sever himself.

The question is therefore membership of the Ship does imply anything about the values you hold.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by wilson:

quote:
Unsubscribe and data removal policies – If you would like to remove your name and email address from our bulletin board registration database, you can request removal by sending a private message to one of the Member Admins.

That's well spotted. But the nuance here, to my mind, is that this is not what CMN's done. Or at least, it's not all he's done. Rather than keep such an exchange private, he's broadcasting it to all and sundry. And by continuing to post in the meantime, he's calling into question whether he actually wants to go and/or simply wants to shift the responsiblity onto the PTB.

If you will, it's the difference between leaving and flouncing. Or perhaps more accurately here, to make a change from the St Sebasiten metaphor, a case of je t'aime moi non plus.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There has been at least one person in the past year who has asked to leave, and did so without fuss or flurry. I checked earlier and they are no longer in the directory, but I only knew they'd chosen to go because they told me so. So I can confirm that people do get removed from the directory.

However, I'm not sure blackmail and holding to gunpoint are necessarily the best tactics to employ in anything.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
I think the issue is that Numpty sees membership of the ship as similar to membership of the Labour Party - i.e. it implies agreement with a particular ethos or set of objectives.

As he is no longer in sympathy with the Ship's ethos (as he sees it), therefore he wants to formally sever himself.

The question is therefore membership of the Ship does imply anything about the values you hold.

Not to mention the hints of expunging one's record.

If you simply were a registered member of and voted for members of a particular party, you ask to be removed from the membership role and cease to vote for them. While someone might still discover that you had been a registered member during years x-z, it would be clear that you had severed your ties. Facts are facts.

On the other hand, if you had actively worked and campaigned for that party, writing public documents, doing things that got reported in the public press, and then try to have your public record deleted, it ain't gonna happen. Facts are facts.

And despite having no knowledge of what has been happening privately between Numpty and whatever Admins he has communicated with, I'm getting the impression that Numpty is looking for something closer to the latter.

This isn't the first time a Shipmate has trotted out a dispute with the Admins into the public, citing a bunch of vague generalities ('sacramental' is a new one, I admit). In nearly every case, we hoi polloi were expected to agree that the Admins were being abusive and unreasonable, but without the Abused One being willing to provide any details.

Sorry Numpty (and anyone else), but if you have a problem with the Admins, you either solve it privately with them or else spill the entire beans to the rest of us. If for some reason you can't or aren't willing to speak frankly, then shut up and spare us your whining.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

His name is no where on his registration. He can update his e-mail to something invalid himself.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The PTB will make a reasonable decision--they always do--but it strikes me that this whole "cancel my membership" thing only enables the person to come creeping back as an entirely new member (but not) several weeks later. I mean, it circumvents the rare-name-change policy as well as the 'play-nice-with-clueless-newbies' rule (since no one knows X is not a newbie) and in effect it is the creation of a sock puppet, though the multiplicity is spread through time rather than being concurrent. For someone who is self-confessed unable to control his own posting, this seems only to further the problem ("enabling" in 12-speak).

Now you could ask for a BAN, which would truly keep you off the ship since the Admins would be eating your shorts for breakfast if you showed up again--but that's hardly fair to the Admins.

Like everyone else, I think you'd do best to simply swan off into the cybersphere...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Winkel:
quote:

What you mean is, they don't do as you tell them, and others think differently than you do, and that is what is wrong about SOF.
No, that's not what I mean.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you mean, then?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:
quote:

The only real effect of deleting your account would appear to be give you an excuse to disassociate yourself from your own comment history. That's not really in anyone's interests, as far as I can tell.
I don't want to disassociate myself from my comment history, but I do want to disassociate myself from yours, and the people like you. That's why I've asked for my membership to be deleted. I joined the Ship because it was an amazingly fast paced forum with a strong sense of community and a robust but essentially even handed approach to 'discipline'.

I don't see that anymore. I see bullying and abuse.

Yes, I've posted stuff on the ship that I regret. I'm under no illusions about that. You, however, along with the peanut gallery appear to trapped into a mindset of group self-justification that I can no longer countenance.

I want to leave the ship on my terms. I make no apology for that. Simon and Alan could have just delete my membership as per my request, but for as yet unexplained reasons, they are refusing to do so.

Why am I still posting in the meantime? Firstly, because I'm taking the opportunity to be critical of something that - over the years - I have very much enjoyed while I wait for my request to be granted. And secondly, because the fact that my request is being inexplicably refused is actually a good example of what I don't like about the Ship as it currently is.

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
quote:

quote:

His name is no where on his registration. He can update his e-mail to something invalid himself.
Indeed but he has no idea whether his previous email address then disappears or remains on said database. If he wants it removed then he needs to PM an admin.

I am merely pointing this out because some on this thread seemed to imply that it was a strange thing to do, when in fact it's the suggested course of action, from the Ship itself.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand. A previously used e-mailed address does not remain in our database. But that doesn't matter; he is lying about wanting his information removed. If he did, he would stop posting. As long as he continues to do so, I will continue to regard it as some kind of bizarre "gotcha ya" that only makes sense in his mind.

--------------------

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
I understand. A previously used e-mailed address does not remain in our database. But that doesn't matter; he is lying about wanting his information removed. If he did, he would stop posting. As long as he continues to do so, I will continue to regard it as some kind of bizarre "gotcha ya" that only makes sense in his mind.

And I think that you're lying when you say that if I stop posting you'll do what I've asked you to do. I can't understand why you're so blinded by some bizarre "we-don't-do-anything-we're- asked-to-by-people-who-we-don't-like" attitude that prevents you from just doing what you've been politely asked to do.

[ 10. October 2010, 22:33: Message edited by: Call me Numpty ]

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stop posting and see.

Give it a shot.

Please.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if Numpty stops posting the PTB may not delete the account. Numpty, just because you ask politely is not necessarily a reason for people to do what you ask. Can you conceive that the PTB might decline to delete an account regardless of their feelings about a poster?

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
And I think that you're lying when you say that if I stop posting you'll do what I've asked you to do.

Erin didn't say she would. She only expressed "if not P, then not Q", but not the inverse "if P then Q".

--------------------
Truth

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are ways to block your computers from accessing certain web sites.

Matter of fact, here is what I found when I typed "how do I block my computer from certain web sites" into Google.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
There are ways to block your computers from accessing certain web sites.

Matter of fact, here is what I found when I typed "how do I block my computer from certain web sites" into Google.

But that's not on his terms, Spiff. It's now not about saving himself from the temptation of posting again as he first maintained. We now see that it is all about wringing the last harrah out of making the PTB bend to his will.

A poor victory but his own.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems Numpty wishes not merely to shake the dust from his sandals, but also to insist that those he is about to shun should sterilize his footwear before he leaves.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Off to the quotes file! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

quote:
quote:

And I think that you're lying when you say that if I stop posting you'll do what I've asked you to do. I can't understand why you're so blinded by some bizarre "we-don't-do-anything-we're- asked-to-by-people-who-we-don't-like" attitude that prevents you from just doing what you've been politely asked to do.
I didn't say that so, again, you are lying.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I have his member number? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think he's asking for something like the "unbaptism" that some Roman Catholics are seeking. I've known people to do that with other faiths, too. I suspect that, in his mind, the reasons are more or less the same.

Numpty, why not post some very direct disavowal of the Ship? E.g., "I, Numpty, hereby resign from the Ship of Fools and renounce all my past connections with it". It will be part of the Ship's record. You can even download a copy to your computer, and/or print it out. Then go on your way.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Then go on your way.

Ah. But apparently it's just this that he is unable to do.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016