homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: I think I might just go on strike... (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: I think I might just go on strike...
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin:
quote:
We suspected almost immediately and knew for a little while. We were just hoping he'd behave this time around.
That was really damned generous to the young goof.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My [Votive] for whatever parish is dealing with him.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
As for Doc Tor's point, yes, we in small solicitors' firms in private practice are ripped off - the last few years by indemnity insurers. It is a requirement for us to practise that we have indemnity insurance. The cost of that indemnity insurance has trebled in the last three years which has in turn coincided with the property crash and general economic downturn. My earnings for 2008-9 were £8000 and in the last tax year picked up to £33000 but the indemnity insurance is now running at £43000pa. We've had to lay off most of our staff and the remainder have had to accept - with very good grace, bless them! - significant pay cuts.

OK I'm confusef you are a small business presumably your turnover is separate from your wage ? Or are you telling me your individual indeminity insurance is more than 17,000 over the national average income and you are expected to pay it out of your wages ?

I have professional indeminty insurance covering me for liabilities upto about 5 million pounds a year - it costs me 78 pounds a year but it covers just me. (Strictly speaking I don't have to have it as I am not in private practice but I chose to.)

What exactly are they expecting you to be liable for ?

Sioni got it right, pretty much. The insurance isn't to do with turnover (ours was around £200K in the last year) but to do with potential liability incurred as a result of the value of the transaction).I'll give you a recent real-life example:

Before the credit crunch we acted on a remortgage of a house in Gosport. There was a restrictive covenant on the title forbidding any alteration to the property without so-and-so's consent. Unbeknown to us, the owner - our client - had put up a conservatory. This was not communicated to us by our client nor by the new mortgage lender, not even in their valuation-survey, a copy of which we had with the mortgage offer. The transaction completed, then the downturn hit, the client defaulted and the lender repossessed, at which point the issue of the illicit conservatory reared its ugly head. The lender - of course, that being the way of things in those days - had lent over the odds and lost money on the repo sale, exacerbated by the issue of the conservatory. They are now trying to sue me for their loss, arguing that I knew about the conservatory since their valuation-survey had photos annexed to it (it didn't) clearly showing the conservatory (I've now seen these photos which have miraculously appeared and they don't, unless you already know the conservatory's there), and we should have obtained retrospective consent from the covenantee.

Needless to say, the above is a complete try-on by the lender but it is illustrative of what solicitors are typically up against, particularly in the wake of a recession: lenders lend over the odds in the boom times, it then all goes Pete Tong, lenders lose money and try to recoup that from someone. The borrowers are difficult targets since they either have no money (hence the default on the mortgage) or have disappeared or both. The conveyancing solicitor however is another matter: not only are we 'visible' but we also carry indemnity insurance which allows the lender - if they are able to claim successfully - to recoup their losses on the property. For every 'try-on' like the above, there are unfortunately perhaps several successful claims, which puts indemnity insuarnce costs up for the rest of us.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS Just read the rest of the thread - Oh, Max! [Frown] [Mad]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
this:
quote:
Why should innocent commuters have to suffer because of a few job losses in a couple of train stations? It's not as if we really need to have people in ticket offices anyway, we have oyster cards and ticket machines!
is actually far worse, far more offensive, than saying this:
quote:
Shit piss bollocks

It's offensive to suggest that due to technological advances certain jobs may no longer be required?

Really?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It's offensive to suggest that due to technological advances certain jobs may no longer be required?

Really?

No. It's the careless attitude behind the comment - quite literally. He couldn't care less about the real people who lose their jobs.

Since it comes from someone who purports to act as a 'chaplain', such a monstrous lack of compassion is more than a little worrying.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I liked the old Max better. This one gives the impression of having aged about 40 years and turned into a sort of cut-price Norman St.John Stevas.

Now what were we talking about? Oh yes, strikes, unions, that sort of thing. My view is that it's a pity the unions are so run-down in this country. 'Cos right now they're just about all that stands between the British people and the full-scale dismantling of all the modern, civilised liberal values we enjoy by a government made up mainly of cash-greedy millionaires and their friends.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Yes, because they did such a great job of that in the 1970s...

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No they didn't. But it would be a very, very, very silly person indeed that suggested that the unions as they are now are the same as they were in the 70s.

Wouldn't it?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I think I liked the old Max better. This one gives the impression of having aged about 40 years and turned into a sort of cut-price Norman St.John Stevas.

[Killing me]

Now what were we talking about? Oh yes, strikes, unions, that sort of thing. My view is that it's a pity the unions are so run-down in this country. 'Cos right now they're just about all that stands between the British people and the full-scale dismantling of all the modern, civilised liberal values we enjoy by a government made up mainly of cash-greedy millionaires and their friends.

Dead right.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Since it comes from someone who purports to act as a 'chaplain', such a monstrous lack of compassion is more than a little worrying.

Yup, that's our Max. Making us wonder what the hell is wrong with him since 200-something. Can't remember when his heyday was. Don't really care at the moment, actually.

I'd say this parole given to dear old Maxy is proof to those who complain the Admins are heavy-handed with the planking, but those conspiracy theorists are liable to just take it as one more straw on the camel's back (the hump is a naturally ocurring feature, not proof it's broken).

[ 05. November 2010, 13:27: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Erin:
quote:
We suspected almost immediately and knew for a little while. We were just hoping he'd behave this time around.
That was really damned generous to the young goof.
That was my thought too.

Maybe Erin's post could be archived somewhere, ready for the next "Why did the Admins pick on poor little Max?" thread ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gurdur
Shipmate
# 857

- Posted      Profile for Gurdur   Author's homepage   Email Gurdur   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Weren't you saying how you weren't per se unhappy with unions? Sorta decrying any personal investment?

Would it be valid to compare your business with Enron? Just asking, because this little one-liner of yours doesn't make any sense at all, unless of course you were trying very hard to damn unions with one giant tar-brush. You wouldn't be trying to claim industrial action never works, would you?

Oh, that's right, you previously tried exactly that. With the silly little argument that industrial action would only lead to consumers abandoning the service and mass-bicycling to turn London into 1970's Peking, or something.

1) Industrial action often works. Get over it.

2) Reasonable pay and safety provisions were only won through industrial action and trade-union-influenced politicking. So I reckon they neither need nor particularly want your specific sympathy. Again, get over it.

2) Do you think you can come up with anything more .... discussable than inaccurate one-liners?
Seriously.

Good cases can be made for how to minimise industrial action, strikes, and so on, and still have a reasonably fair society, yet neither you nor Marvin are making those cases. Just emo and snideness.

Plus you really are making me feel like sending in a donation to the tube-workers' strike fund.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

The TU movement virtually destroyed Britain in the 1970s. Yes, times have changed, as per Adeodatus' post, but I was putting the counter-argument to his "they're the saviours of civilisation" claim by pointing out they don't exactly come to the table with clean hands and an unblemished track record on that front.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The TU movement virtually destroyed Britain in the 1970s. Yes, times have changed, as per Adeodatus' post, but I was putting the counter-argument to his "they're the saviours of civilisation" claim by pointing out they don't exactly come to the table with clean hands and an unblemished track record on that front.

Ahem. Certain traditions and actions within the TU movement (specifically IMO a very active lack of interest in German-style participation in industrial strategy and management) plus a crap and lazy management culture

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Granted.

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My historical knowledge is probably shite and I'm sure the likes of ken can correct me and/or fill in details but my *feeling* is that from the start of the Chartist movement until the Thatcher Axe# - a period of some 125 years or so, the sentiments underlying the joining-together of those who, hitherto, could be just totally disregarded in society was An Extremely Good Thing - for one, it gave all of *you* (unless you were/are a member of the aristocracy) the universal vote as well as the instigation of decent health and safety provisions at work. I fear it is a great shame that this Century+ of Progress for the People is destined to be merely a blip on the chart.

# and yes, I remember the excesses of the so-called *Winter of Discontent* when the union bosses flexed their muscles - sometimes to excess - yet I also remember the brutality of the backlash [Frown]

Jahlove, on some issues Very Conservative, on others a Raving Red [Biased]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
Why did that take so long? The clues were there from the start. I thought he had been granted some sort of amnesty and new ID.

Like what clues?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:
Why did that take so long? The clues were there from the start. I thought he had been granted some sort of amnesty and new ID.

Like what clues?
'Well, I can't really go into detail on a website board because it would be easy for people to work out who I am and I am criticising the Church a bit. I wouldn't want to get into trouble with my superiors.' This, from the 'New Seminary' thread was the giveaway for me.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was the capital letters peppered about that made me suspect initially.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Like what clues?
oh, you know, just about everything he posted!

• The "I know more about liturgy than all priests put together" self-proclaiming attitude
  • The "I do things at Mass that silly old stuck-in-the-mud Catholics wouldn't like" self-advertising
  • the use of buttock-clenchingly awful vocabulary like "my gathered community"
  • the hang-up with Anglicans
  • the hang-up with Jesuits
  • the "I know better than anyone else about everything there is to know" attitude
You get the picture?

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm sure he'll be back, or has another puppet already registered that will get more active all of a sudden and want to be the center of attention [Biased] . Because he hasn't changed.

I sort of tuned out after the early stages of the New Seminary thread so missed some of the clues.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
the use of buttock-clenchingly awful vocabulary like "my gathered community"
Strong.

[Killing me]

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Like what clues?
oh, you know, just about everything he posted!

• The "I know more about liturgy than all priests put together" self-proclaiming attitude
  • The "I do things at Mass that silly old stuck-in-the-mud Catholics wouldn't like" self-advertising
  • the use of buttock-clenchingly awful vocabulary like "my gathered community"
  • the hang-up with Anglicans
  • the hang-up with Jesuits
  • the "I know better than anyone else about everything there is to know" attitude
You get the picture?

Well, shit, more than half those things I'm guilty of. Especially the fact that I do know better than anyone else about everything there is to know, and the world would be a better place if y'all just did what I said.

I solemnly swear I'm not a Max. puppet.

I'd say that listing out his tells like this would teach him to hide better next time his feet are too warm and he takes off a sock, but that boy's proven time and time again that he just don't learn.

[ 06. November 2010, 16:50: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're going to stop talking about the banned now.

Marvin
Hellhost

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Serious question: may we still attack the arguments 'TSC' advanced in this thread? (However pointless it might be, given that he's no longer here to consider defending them.)

Thurible

[ 06. November 2010, 18:04: Message edited by: Thurible ]

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an old-timer, I suggest you start a new thread (in Purg or Hell as you like), if you really want to talk about it.

But word it carefully so it isn't about Max. He seems to have used up all nine of his lives.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Serious question: may we still attack the arguments 'TSC' advanced in this thread?

Arguments yes. The person no.

If anyone wants to discuss those arguments then the thread will thrive, if not it will die. I note that there was a thriving argument about trade unions going on before the banned was outed as such - the continuation of this is perfectly OK.

Marvin
Hellhost

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by RadicalWhig:
Maybe if the retail worker in question had stronger union rights they wouldn't get an hour's pay docked for being late through no fault of their own!

Yes, what a fuckwit. Shopworker is delayed through no fault of her own by tube strike- employer docks an hour's pay- what's the rule that needs changing? Not the one that allows this kind of bullying by employers, obviously, 'cos that might mean admitting that the rich aren't always in the right...
A bit of common sense is all that is needed here to allow this to be resolved without any financial penalties. The employer needs to let her off this time and allow her to receive the full pay without any further consequences if she has consistently shown she is serious about her job. The employee needs to meet the employer in the middle and proactively offer to work enough overtime to regain the lost productivity, and also learn from this and own her responsibility for getting to work on time in the future.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
own her responsibility for getting to work on time in the future.

You can own your sodding responsibility all you want, but if you can't drive and there is no public transport and the cost of a taxi would be more than you earn in a day - when are you allowed to say you made every reasonable effort but it wasn't enough?

Firenze (still smarting from being told she should 'have got up earlier' to cope with a public transport shortfall, while knowing she had been queuing on the winter streets while that fat bitch had been having a leisurely breakfast prior to getting in her car).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When we've had these problems with Transport for London before employers who really need their employees in next morning make sure they can get there - often by providing somewhere to sleep overnight - access to washing, places to put down sleeping bag and bedding roll.

I live in one of the areas where people commute in. If the Tube isn't running it's 16 to 20 miles into Central London walking, cycling or whatever, and it's 8 miles to the nearest railway station that will get you in to one of the Central London Stations. What responsibility do you suggest the employee can take if the employer isn't providing somewhere to sleep in Town. Car sharing isn't really an option into London, cycling 20 miles isn't an option unless you can change and shower at the other end.

Also this particular strike - the tubes were beginning to be difficult from 6:30pm the night before.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call in your unavailability to get to your job on time before that day then if it's a strike known well in advance. Even if your boss will pay you for work you don't do, in a retail environment it's important to make sure things are covered during that time you are not working.

At my previous job in a computer store, if I was an hour late it would mean one technician would be tied up with work out front instead of doing service jobs. If I was really unlucky in my timing it could push a couple of warranty jobs back one day and lower the service excellence rating which Apple uses to determine labour costs paid to third-party service centres. We're looking at a minimum of $150 loss of income to a small business, which is why the policy of lateness being taken out of TOIL (time off in lieu of payment for overtime) at time and a half and/or working overtime to recover lost productivity was the policy.

I'm personally astonished that people think it's acceptable to get paid for productivity lost when they are late - unless of course the striking union/s provide compensation to affected businesses for lost productivity. That may be decent in a salaried position where you are paid for doing a job, but not for a position paid by the hour. The vast majority of small businesses don't have money growing on trees to pay for work that is not getting done outside of money set aside in annual budgets for each employee's 6 days of paid sick leave and 20 days of paid annual leave.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This last strike wasn't well advertised. It was a very unfunny shock to try and go to a course on the Tuesday night by tube and find that the trains were already disrupted by 6:30pm for a 24 hour strike. That one I walked home from rather than fight the tubes home.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Curiosity Killed..., that doesn't wash with me, I thought the last strike was as well advertised as any other.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I guess there's a difference between an occasional user of the Tubes and a regular user. If I'd been commuting I would have been far more aware, but I'm not and it wasn't that well advertised. There was very little coverage on the national news, unlike previous ones, and it was only going to the tube station that made me aware. The same was true for the students who come in by Tube - they weren't aware in advance either. We'd have been told that they weren't going to be in on the Monday if the advertising had been clearer, not on Wednesday morning.

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I guess there's a difference between an occasional user of the Tubes and a regular user. If I'd been commuting I would have been far more aware, but I'm not and it wasn't that well advertised. There was very little coverage on the national news, unlike previous ones, and it was only going to the tube station that made me aware. The same was true for the students who come in by Tube - they weren't aware in advance either. We'd have been told that they weren't going to be in on the Monday if the advertising had been clearer, not on Wednesday morning.

It was all over the Transport for London website, the BBC News website, the TV news, I got an e-mail about it from TfL the day before, and it was mentioned in the evening Tube status update e-mails I subscribe to, along with the morning Tube status update texts I get. And I don't use the Tube as my normal method of commuting these days, I cycle.

Even my colleagues in Warsaw knew about it.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

mm - I did say that I was having problems early evening on Tuesday, not Wednesday, didn't I?

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

So, the problem is you are too dumb to do math and figure out when a 24 hour strike begins?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Nope, 6 hours later that damn strike was supposed to start. And because we've had so many recently, it wasn't big news. We've had a series of them.

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
mm - I did say that I was having problems early evening on Tuesday, not Wednesday, didn't I?

There are actually two strikes running on the same days, but at different times. Maintenance staff walked out from 5pm on Tuesday evening, drivers & station staff from 9pm. So you may have been caught up in a signal problem that had no-one to fix it.

But my point is that it was thoroughly advertised, and not by methods that required you to be a regular user of the Tube (although there were posters up at all the stations).

I got an e-mail about it on Monday, it was on the Transport for London website from at least the Monday morning, it was on the BBC news website from that time as well. Then when it actually started, it was mentioned in the Tuesday evening "service disruption" e-mails I get from TfL, and in the text alerts I got on the next morning.

The TfL travel alerts are free to use and you can sign up for them here.

Of course, because I have a slight touch of OCD, I also put the strike dates in my work calendar as soon as they were announced. The next one is at the end of November.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

If I seriously cared I wouldn't be posting in Hell about it. I got where I had to go, by the skin of my teeth and amused myself by walking home - through the Forest in the dark, without a torch - but who said I was sane?

But the point I was making was that particular strike was a little more unpredictable than people are making out.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Crumbs CK you need to be careful venturing out alone in the woods ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
whinge whinge whinge

I fixed your last post for you.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
--------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Spiffy:
I am a supremely annoying, cloying dumbass, who just can't STFU and quit behaving like a stewed turd on a buffet table.
I fixed your most recent post for you, Spiffy.

[ 07. November 2010, 20:51: Message edited by: Silver Faux ]

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
I am a supremely annoying, cloying dumbass, who just can't STFU and quit behaving like a stewed turd on a buffet table.
I fixed your most recent post for you, Spiffy.

And you needed to edit that?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:

We can play this game all day! Wheeee!

(But this does make me wonder about the kind of buffet luncheons SF gets invited to.)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Learn to code, mousethief; it's a broken line for disengenuously changing the words within a quote.
There is a UBB practice thread in the Styx for beginners such as you.
Dumbass.

--------------------

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I so love it when you pay attention to me, Fux.

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

I wasn't speaking to you.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It's most unkind of you to call other people by my name. Tsk.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016