homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Merlin the Mad: anti-American & anti-Christian piece of dogshit (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Merlin the Mad: anti-American & anti-Christian piece of dogshit
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oooh, I can answer that one. Because the things he wants to say to/about MtM can't be said any place other than Hell, and why bother to start a new thread when there's this perfectly good one sitting around?

Same reason I just posted on the thread about Myrrh.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fair enough. I know the frustration of feeling like you've gotten stuck to the tar baby* and cursing yourself for taking the first swing.

*the non-racist one -- the one people who have actually read Joel Chandler Harris refer to.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yep, Nicole nailed it. Everest, Hillary, and all that.

Just tell me one thing: is MtM really that friggin' thick, or is he putting us on for the sake of the blood-and-gore which follows?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is nothing I read from him that I don't see repeated from Drudge Report/Fox News believing folk in other forums. Even when you expose the logical inconsistencies or provide links to discredit the claims, they are dismissed or the subject shifts.

So I would pick "thick".

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Useful to know. Thanks. FWIW, I don't follow the Drudge or Faux News, so I'm a babe in the woods here.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Neither do I. It has something to do with what happens to my blood pressure when I watch/read one of their offerings. ToujoursDan deserves a medal, or something.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Neither do I. It has something to do with what happens to my blood pressure when I watch/read one of their offerings. ToujoursDan deserves a medal, or something.

Thanks! [Axe murder]

I really believe this is one of those "make or break" moments for America. If the right-wing succeeds on bullying or banning this group of people from doing what they want on their property, I think it will be time to emigrate.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Me, too. See my response to Myrrh on the "Mosque" thread.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(Me, too about the "make or break" point)

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Yup. It's starting to feel a bit too much like Germany in the 1930s and as a gay man I know we're on the hit list. We may be after they go after the Muslims and the Mexicans, but I don't think it will stop there.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

I thought it was time to go during the Bush years. I swear to God above, I didn't think it was possible for my countrymen to get any stupider, or more crassly ignorant (and PROUD of it!!) or more prejudiced.

That limbo bar's getting awfully close to the floor. Not sure I can dance under it any more.

Where are y'all going? Can I come too?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Canada. We'll all flee to Canada.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
(and PROUD of it!!)

That's what gets me.

I dunno, I think the decent people are gonna win this one. They are just a lot quieter than the others.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:

Fuck.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Fuck.
HEY! Why should yours be the only country in North America not to be overrun with drug cartels, bigoted idjits, and terrorists, huh? You already HAVE a Cordoba House.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And with global warming, Canada will be the only habitable country in North America.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least the chances of it warming are slim.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Well my home country has Steven Harper and an evolution denying science minister.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes but migrant Democrats from the US will love Harper. He's just slightly to the right of the Democratic Party there, even though he is widely perceived as a raving right wing loony in Canada.

The less said about the Science Minister, the better.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ToujoursDan:
Yup. It's starting to feel a bit too much like Germany in the 1930s and as a gay man I know we're on the hit list. We may be after they go after the Muslims and the Mexicans, but I don't think it will stop there.

I recommend last night's Special Commentary from Keith Olbermann. He starts out with that familiar "First they came for the Communists..." quote. (The link should give you both video and the text.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Wow. In the text, we find that the building will no longer be called "Cordoba House" due to the mixed opinions about its meaning. It's now to be called Park 51.

I'm sure there will be a lot of goalpost shifting to explain why such rabid triumphalists intent of rubbing our Western noses in it would suddenly be so accomodating.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am finding my already-dwindling hope for America draining out like piss from an incontinent cow. We really are a country of mouth-breathing, self-serving, hate-spewing morons, where using your brain or getting an education is "elitist" and being Muslim in lower Manhattan is "insensitive". Maranatha, come quickly, Lord Jesus.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Well, my guess is some of it can be blamed on the deliberate gutting of the educational system by NCLB. You should see the resumes and apps I get from high school grads, some with a year or two of college, whenever there's job opening here. Ye gods.

If I ever have kids, I'm going to home-school them. At least make sure they can read and write coherently.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You don't have to home-school them, Apocalypso, you just need to provide all the supplemental stuff that the schools are no longer allowed to provide (like art and music and nutrition and analytical thinking and debate and ...) because, y'know, it's too expensive and we need to teach to the test so we know our kids are learning something.

I seriously though about home-schooling my kids. They reacted with genuine horror any time I brought it up.

I have no idea what they pictured, but I assume they had long forgotten that I taught them to read before they even hit kindergarten, and my idea of homeschooling was pretty much 'unschooling' so they would have been free to pursue their own interests.

The bottom line was they had enough teachers they liked and they enjoyed the social aspect of public school. Home all day with Mom? Yuck!

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:

Fuck.
I've pondered fleeing to Canada during every US Presidential election campaign cycle since I first got to vote back in 1972 and Nixon trounced McGovern.

What's different now is that watching the way our government is functioning and the crass political crap going on, I now feel the urge to head North (or somewhere) nearly every day, rather than just during the heavy countdown to Voting Day.

It's not that the liberals aren't winning, it's the kneejerk stupidity of the public debate. The "Yo man, those guys are assholes" sort of conversation which I previously associated only with drunks in bars and call-in radio diatribes has somehow been elevated to Prime Time TV and treated as legitimate and thoughtful commentary.

And sadly, it means that the liberals are starting to be just as stupid and hardline.

And saddest of all, it means that the politicians have to spend all their time dancing on the fence, so we never get to know what they actually believe.

Which means our votes are rather useless, no?

Which means democracy is being killed, no?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You guys should check out immigration rules before you come; but seriously, if you want to live in the northern parts, or a small town and you have a needed skill, you'd be in like Flynn. I think. But if you've been a rabble-rouser, remember that the Arsy Em Pee share info with the Yanks, nowadays. And they don't use common sense much

Once you're here, you can pretty much forget about being watched by them though.

For how long this will last, I don't know. [Paranoid]

Maybe they already do, and I'm just delusional.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

I grew up on the border, PeteC. You're right that there are reasons other than my innate laziness that I never bothered to fly the coop.
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I am finding my already-dwindling hope for America draining out like piss from an incontinent cow.

Me too. This is so fucking depressing.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not feeling terribly upset about the state of the country lately. Maybe my lack of television pays off.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I too have no television. That's not it. Maybe you're a more hopeful person than I am.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

John Stewart hits it out of the park too:

Mosque-erade

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Main reason taht I haven't fled north - it's Quebec. I have to go a long damn ways North to get past that place....

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I too have no television. That's not it. Maybe you're a more hopeful person than I am.

That would be a first. I'm usually a pessimistic bitch.

Perhaps it's living here. People are pretty mellow. The nutjobs are obvious nutjobs and not given much credence. I hear people spouting about how "obamacare" is the first sign of the apocolypse, but it's just a little background noise.

Tea partiers are only making noise in Anchorage, and getting almost no coverage.

Frankly the concern on this thread surprised me. I'm still riding the optimism wave left over from the election.

PS- if you can, read "Idiot America". It's depressing in a sense, but he shows well where this relativism movement is coming from. Knowledge is power. Plus he's a great writer.

[ 18. August 2010, 02:15: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RadicalWhig
Shipmate
# 13190

- Posted      Profile for RadicalWhig   Author's homepage   Email RadicalWhig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
What's different now is that watching the way our government is functioning and the crass political crap going on, I now feel the urge to head North (or somewhere) nearly every day, rather than just during the heavy countdown to Voting Day.

It's not that the liberals aren't winning, it's the kneejerk stupidity of the public debate. The "Yo man, those guys are assholes" sort of conversation which I previously associated only with drunks in bars and call-in radio diatribes has somehow been elevated to Prime Time TV and treated as legitimate and thoughtful commentary.

And sadly, it means that the liberals are starting to be just as stupid and hardline.

And saddest of all, it means that the politicians have to spend all their time dancing on the fence, so we never get to know what they actually believe.

Which means our votes are rather useless, no?

Which means democracy is being killed, no?

I fear so. I hope not, but I fear so.

--------------------
Radical Whiggery for Beginners: "Trampling on the Common Prayer Book, talking against the Scriptures, commending Commonwealths, justifying the murder of King Charles I, railing against priests in general." (Sir Arthur Charlett on John Toland, 1695)

Posts: 3193 | From: Scotland | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
John Stewart hits it out of the park too:

Mosque-erade

Thank you for the link. Lots of gold in there. The bit showing what Glenn Beck said 3 months earlier completely made my day.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:
Main reason taht I haven't fled north - it's Quebec. I have to go a long damn ways North to get past that place....

Canada is a big country - even bigger than the USA. There's an awful lot of non-Québec up here. I can go whole months without thinking of it, and I live just across its border.

You'll find language issues anywhere. Unless it is the socialist-lite policies of the PLQ? Even federalists will vote for the PQ when they get fed up with the PLQ.

PS: the further North you go, the more French it is. When it's not Inuit. So that's not gonna help you either.

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

It's just hard to believe one person can be THIS dense. He seems more interested in getting the last word in that clicking on the links or reflecting on all the inconsistencies others have raised.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

You're right, ToujoursDan. I was thinking about this last night, but couldn't be arsed to gp back through and collect all the good points (or even just my own) that have gone utterly ignored.

Those bogeymen are realer than the bricks and mortar that'll go into the new community center.

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:

Canada is a big country - even bigger than the USA. There's an awful lot of non-Québec up here. I can go whole months without thinking of it, and I live just across its border.

You'll find language issues anywhere. Unless it is the socialist-lite policies of the PLQ? Even federalists will vote for the PQ when they get fed up with the PLQ.

PS: the further North you go, the more French it is. When it's not Inuit. So that's not gonna help you either.

I'd be fine w/ going northwest to avoid Quebec, but I'd be going far more west than north for the places I'm interested in.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Québec is a wonderful place to live in, even if you don't speak French. Just move to the west Island of Montréal or the Aylmer area of Gatineau.

--------------------

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
Québec is a wonderful place to live in, even if you don't speak French. Just move to the west Island of Montréal or the Aylmer area of Gatineau.

It's been the better part of a decade since I was up there, and my French has largely faded/been replaced w/ Korean. Has the weaponized use of French faded? It was always impossible to get a response in English then....(not as bad in Montreal itself, but horrid heading up from Sherbrooke area).

--------------------

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

Younger people are more likely to be bilingual, more used to using English (as they often work for globalized companies) and are more used to multiculturalism. I'm sure you'll run into a bit of that, but given that retail is overwhelmingly young-staffed, it's far less often than it used to be.

--------------------

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
I never thought I'd say this, considering how snowbound Canuckistan is, but since 18% of us are clearly too stupid to live, the Great White North is looking better and better.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huh!? Ya mean he's not!?
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
I never thought I'd say this, considering how snowbound Canuckistan is, but since 18% of us are clearly too stupid to live, the Great White North is looking better and better.

Heh...it actually gets warmer if I go north....Vermont (my part anyways) is significantly colder than most of populated Canada.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

As per RooK's unstated fear, thoguht who's to say we won't start a trend that just imports the stupidity there?

(Hm, they do need Spanish-speaking teachers up there... who knew?)

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Take the 18% and offer them as slave labour in Nunavut.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:

There has always been a lunatic fringe but they seem more evident with the info age. When our news fix was satisfied by magazines and newspapers, the illiterati and their spittle-flecked blatherings were more confined to jerkwater drinking establishments and good-old-boy clubs - and were commonly ignored by 'responsible' national news organizatons.

Now we're saturated with cybernews reports of every half-baked poll and staged protest gathering on the planet. I mean, really - who gives a flying leap that Laura Schlessinger quit her radio show? Still, I regularly suffer despair and panic over rampant right-wing idiocy. I hate the false legitimacy given these goons by over-exposure.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

You do realize that if that 18% is a correct estimate that more people believe that Obama is Muslim than actually live in Canada.

A fun poll would ask how many people think he's Irish.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

The Inuit wouldn't have those people with unwiped bums. They'd be all shuffled onto ice-floes to die.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016