homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Merlin the Mad: anti-American & anti-Christian piece of dogshit (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Merlin the Mad: anti-American & anti-Christian piece of dogshit
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Take the 18% and offer them as slave labour in Nunavut.

The Inuit wouldn't have those people with unwiped bums. They'd be all shuffled onto ice-floes to die.
So, you're in favor of this initiative?

Hmm...it might help the polar bears too!

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:

The Inuit wouldn't have those people with unwiped bums. They'd be all shuffled onto ice-floes to die.
Now that sounds like a plan!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:

Then again, it might be the polar bear equivalent of replacing the supermarkets in failing neighborhoods with junky fast food restaurants.

[ 20. August 2010, 04:53: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

You do realize that if that 18% is a correct estimate that more people believe that Obama is Muslim than actually live in Canada.

A fun poll would ask how many people think he's Irish.

(Lyda Rose Quotefile's this. You deserve it.)

Fun Circus thread idea! Create a snazzy Celtic myth along the lines of Fynn McCool starring Barak O'Bama! But not here, or you'll die messily!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:

Then again, it might be the polar bear equivalent of replacing the supermarkets in failing neighborhoods with junky fast food restaurants.
'Fast' in this case referring to the rate of food capture, not the rate at which the food moves across the ice. [Snigger]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
Well shit. Apparently Canadians are equally retarded, now where do I emigrate to?

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Erin:
Well shit. Apparently Canadians are equally retarded, now where do I emigrate to?

Sorry, what's retarded about that exactly?

Is this going to be like mobile phones, which were proudly declared to have 'no biological effects', and then when biological effects were proven, were declared to have 'no HEALTH effects'?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Erin, I spent some years of my youth working construction jobs overseas, with a lot of ex-pat engineers, their often multi-cultural and sometimes crazy wives, weird administrative types, and locals. I have spent a much longer period living in various US towns ranging from small cities to Tiny Towns in New England.

I'm now 59 yrs old and one thing I know: there are idiots and crazies everywhere you go. It's just the human condition. And they feel the same way about you.

That's a generic you, btw.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

orfeo, without getting into the details, the 'biological effects' of cell phones reminds me all too much of the 'power lines cause leukemia' thing from some many years back.

Yes, there is much we don't know. But my bottom line is somewhat Darwinian: we humans, as a species will either adapt or die out.

My money (if only I were to survive and money would still mean anything) is on the rats and the cockroaches.

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The usual brain tumor hype about cell phones has been roundly disproven by the Finns using 50(?) years of the best medical records in the world (cancer-related medical records there are heavily regulated by law there).

And the usual hype about transmission towers has been anecdotally (and hilariously) disproven. I can't find the story again, but one town was supposedly suffering from gigantic effects from a new transmission tower there. They take the company to court and many people testify that *right that moment* they were still experiencing pain/nausea/etc from the tower, and that they had been ever since the tower was turned on. The company then informs the court that they turned the tower off two weeks prior and hadn't informed the town, in order to wait for the trial and pull this stunt. The case against them was dismissed pretty quickly from there....

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

I found it! Edit window's closed though.

http://boingboing.net/2010/01/15/electrosensitives-to.html

Somewhat misremembered, but the important parts are there imo....
quote:
A group of South African "electrosensitive" activists had been tormented by their local packet-data radio tower, with terrible symptoms that only subsided when they left the area. They're suing.

Only one problem: during a six week period while they were experiencing their symptoms, the tower was switched off, but the symptoms persisted...[they said the symptoms would subside in 4 hours to 2 days of leaving the area]....Of course, they're still suing.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
I'm now 59 yrs old and one thing I know: there are idiots and crazies everywhere you go. It's just the human condition. And they feel the same way about you.

as a corellary: in my ten years as a newsie, I learned that the noisiest people on both sides of any debate are the most ignorant. It's the quiet ones who have something useful to contribute.

We have seen the stupid and it is us.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Is this going to be like mobile phones, which were proudly declared to have 'no biological effects', and then when biological effects were proven, were declared to have 'no HEALTH effects'?

Seriously? Two things: first off, if they think none of their neighbors are using wifi that is bombarding their house, they're dumber than you. Second, I, too, had vague and subjective symptoms during the school week that magically disappeared Fridays at 2:30.

As for your claims about cell phones, Jesus, you're one of them. Now at least I know I don't have to take anything you write seriously ever again.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't get anything about wi-fi signals or missing school in your link, Erin. It sent me to something about sone ugly public official smoking pot.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I didn't get anything about wi-fi signals or missing school in your link, Erin. It sent me to something about sone ugly public official smoking pot.

Parents at some school bitch about their kids getting sick from a Wi-Fi network set up there. The illnesses go away on Friday afternoon and return Monday morning without fail (shock!) School board sensibly ignores the morons who are getting trolled by their kids, and ask for doctor notes. A parent: "They are culpable and ... they have the gall to go on the record and say they haven't had any doctors' notes. Well what doctor has been schooled about the rate of microwave infections?" [italics mine...certainly a new sort of infection [Razz] ]

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Killing me]

If I microwave an infection into my salmonella-tainted eggs, can I still eat them?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I didn't get anything about wi-fi signals or missing school in your link, Erin. It sent me to something about some ugly public official smoking pot.

All I got was a warning about a Trojan from my anti-virus program.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

Seriously? Two things: first off, if they think none of their neighbors are using wifi that is bombarding their house, they're dumber than you. Second, I, too, had vague and subjective symptoms during the school week that magically disappeared Fridays at 2:30.

As for your claims about cell phones, Jesus, you're one of them. Now at least I know I don't have to take anything you write seriously ever again.

My claims about cell phones?

I didn't say I thought cell phones made you sick. I merely pointed out that there is a documented case of people going "whoops, that technology we told you about... it does do SOMETHING after all. It causes biological changes. We still don't think it will HURT you, but we told you confidently that it does absolutely zero and it turns out the answer is 'not quite zero'".

I'm not suggesting they cause cancer. I'm saying that it's extremely irritating when the marketers of a new technology don't use the precautionary principle. You don't automatically blame the new technology, but neither do you rule it OUT until it's been properly investigated and shown not to be the cause.

The mobile phone thing was very well publicised at the time, so if I'm 'one of them', so are plenty other people including the scientists who made the finding.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

An example of the kind of report is here. It's not a claim that phones make you sick.

quote:
“Using a cell phone is not innocuous. It has an effect on your brain. Whether that's good or bad, we don't yet know, but it's definitely having an effect. The effects are clear. The increase in excitability is clear and lasts for about an hour. Is that effect harmful or beneficial? I don't know,”

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
from the EARTHtimes article:
quote:
The two, [neurologists} however, agreed that the use of mobile phones should be discouraged among children and teenagers till more conclusive data is collected and examined.
Yeah, good luck with that! [Killing me]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
from the EARTHtimes article:
quote:
The two, [neurologists} however, agreed that the use of mobile phones should be discouraged among children and teenagers till more conclusive data is collected and examined.
Yeah, good luck with that! [Killing me]
You don't go to scientists for THAT kind of advice! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need an aspirin; too much cell phone use? Or too much Merlin?

Somebody please help me sort out what in HELL he is actually arguing for or against. It looks like a mass of mutually exclusive self-contradictory claims.

Or maybe he's the only poster in the purg thread who isn't reading what he actually writes . . .

. . . or maybe he just has to be opposing whoever else makes a point.

I give up.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Wise decision, Apocalypso.
Wisewilliam
Shipmate
# 15474

- Posted      Profile for Wisewilliam   Email Wisewilliam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

When I worked for gov't we consulted scientists on a wide variety of subjects. Inevitably their replies ended with the words: "More reasrch is needed."

Jobs for the boys.

--------------------
oldman

Posts: 79 | From: Dundas, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Actually, "more research is needed" is a form of CYA - "cover your ass". If you say something definitive, you could end up having to defend it in court. Put in a few waffle words and you're safe.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be fair, if someone put a gun to my head and demanded I choose whether to work with Merlin or Myrrh on a committee, I'd probably pick Merlin. I'd just hope that the committee involved building a fence or something else that didn't involve a whole lot of, y'know, talking.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
To be fair, if someone put a gun to my head and demanded I choose whether to work with Merlin or Myrrh on a committee, I'd probably pick Merlin. I'd just hope that the committee involved building a fence or something else that didn't involve a whole lot of, y'know, talking.

I dunno which one I could cope w/. Myrrh will be whacky as all shit and off the wall, and Merlin will be that 50% of the time, and the other 50% is his path-away-from-mormonism testimony which he applies to almost every situation. I'm kinda surprised he hasn't brought it up yet for this situation yet, actually!

Not sure which I could cope w/ more.

[ 23. August 2010, 03:10: Message edited by: pjkirk ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Again, to be fair, if the project was something along the lines of "writing a policy manual", my response would be "Shoot me."

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tangent: a friend once asked me who I'd want to be stuck on a desert island with.

It was a tough one. How to pick the exact right person that I'd most enjoy hunting down as food?

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A boat builder.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

And if stuck on a desert island with my computer and Internet access, would I spend my time in Hell or in Purg?

Right now, Hell contains more people who make sense . . . although the threads are about people who don't.

I have to get out more.

--------------------

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Again, to be fair, if the project was something along the lines of "writing a policy manual", my response would be "Shoot me."

Unbeknownst to most people, Jean-Paul Sartre did time as a young man on a church committee charged with a writing project.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Tangent: a friend once asked me who I'd want to be stuck on a desert island with.

It was a tough one. How to pick the exact right person that I'd most enjoy hunting down as food?

Compounded by the fact that the internet isn't conducive to determining which person is the meatiest.
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:
Unbeknownst to most people, Jean-Paul Sartre did time as a young man on a church committee charged with a writing project.

That explains his familiarity with Hell in Huis Clos.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:

That explains his familiarity with Hell in Huis Clos.
To say nothing of the characters he envisions there.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
A boat builder.

An amusing point: I'm pretty sure I could build a boat.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, apparently the hardest part of any boat is shaping the ribs... helps if you have some lying around.

And then you could always wear the ass as a fetching hat to keep the sun off.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Well, apparently the hardest part of any boat is shaping the ribs... helps if you have some lying around.

Sheesh. If you have ribs, you build women with 'em, and they keep the sun off for ya. Din't you read yer Bibul?

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

Sheesh. If you have ribs, you build women with 'em, and they keep the sun off for ya. Din't you read yer Bibul?
So, lemme see if I have this straight. You eat the guy you're stranded on the island with. You use his ribs to make a woman, and then she cooks for you?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm told that whole building-a-woman-with-ribs thing requires being God. I've never tried it myself. Then again it's awfully hard to come by human ribs these days.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

Not in my line of work.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I imagine if you walked out the door with one strapped to your lunchbox somebody might say something.

--------------------

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

I have a big purse.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
I'm told that whole building-a-woman-with-ribs thing requires being God.

Not to worry. On another thread, in another galaxy not nearly far enough away, there is an All-Knowing One who can provide links that tell you how.

quote:
I've never tried it myself. Then again it's awfully hard to come by human ribs these days.

What? You don't have any?

Or you're not human? [Paranoid] [Paranoid]

[ 24. August 2010, 05:15: Message edited by: Apocalypso ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Oh, there are ribs around that are still inside people. I meant spare ribs.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Damn. Now I'm hungry. Who has barbecue sauce? Let's roast Merlin.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:

I miss KenWritez.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
~Tortuf

ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I need an aspirin; too much cell phone use? Or too much Merlin?

Somebody please help me sort out what in HELL he is actually arguing for or against. It looks like a mass of mutually exclusive self-contradictory claims.

Or maybe he's the only poster in the purg thread who isn't reading what he actually writes . . .

. . . or maybe he just has to be opposing whoever else makes a point.

I give up.

Yeah. I should have done that instead of letting him get to me. (And it's not really him, but just the ugliness of this whole thing and my fear of where it's taking us.)

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Truth is, though, that giving up also feels like giving in to the screamers now protesting on Park Place.

How many dots are needed to connect that mob to some version of Kristallnacht?

And with public figures like Palin and Gingrich to urge them on . . . and others complacently assuming that someething like the Third Reich Could Never Happen Here.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

I miss KenWritez.
[Waterworks]

Man, that's beautiful. It's like a little piece of Ship call-and-response liturgy.

I dunno, part of me is horrified by the ugliness I am seeing inprint lately, but another part of me is wondering if part of real change is wading through the ugliness.

I am sure there were plenty of reasons to hate the human race in Little Rock back in the day.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016