homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Merlin the Mad: anti-American & anti-Christian piece of dogshit (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Merlin the Mad: anti-American & anti-Christian piece of dogshit
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:
PJKirk:your arguments were idiotic
If you want to discuss that further I'm happy to do so on the Noah's Flood thread in DH.
When you've been proven wrong 10 times from many diverse fields of study, why should I expect you to suddenly turn on the critical thinking switch for the 11th?

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:
quote:
Originally posted by Jamat:
quote:
PJKirk:your arguments were idiotic
If you want to discuss that further I'm happy to do so on the Noah's Flood thread in DH.
When you've been proven wrong 10 times from many diverse fields of study, why should I expect you to suddenly turn on the critical thinking switch for the 11th?
Hmm...thinking further. If my little silly idea is true, maybe you would be now convinceable. Hmm....

Too bad I'm not so gullible as to believe my own ideas that often.

[ 01. November 2010, 03:39: Message edited by: pjkirk ]

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can we please stop discussing what dumbasses various people on the Ship are and spend just a couple more minutes on the specific dumbassed-ness of the person honored on this thread?

I was gonna post this in Dead Horses, but I felt a bit more like Attacking the Person than Attacking the Issue here:

<walks in with intention to use Earth Logic in order to further positive debate about critical issues...>
quote:
Originally posted by MerlintheMad: For instance, racial prejudice is never going to entirely vanish or even significantly diminish any further as long as sexual attraction is involved: simply because some races are repugnant in appearance...
< walks out.>

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
<walks in with intention to use Earth Logic in order to further positive debate about critical issues...>
quote:
Originally posted by MerlintheMad: For instance, racial prejudice is never going to entirely vanish or even significantly diminish any further as long as sexual attraction is involved: simply because some races are repugnant in appearance...
< walks out.>
Oh my dear sweet holy infant lowly infant mild.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You did well to walk out infinite_monkey - I thank God that I don't know amyone with such a repugnent and blatantly wrongheaded attitude as MtM's in RL.

[Disappointed]

I suppose it's a reminder that such beliefs still exist.

[Waterworks]

MtM - you show your bigotry and prejudice every time you post.

The only relief, to me, is that you are a tiny minority which will soon be extinct.

[ 04. November 2010, 05:35: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was going to try and give Merlin some credit and re-word that post to a 'what I meant was...'

Then realised that was probably giving more credit than was due. Half the reason that Dead Horses thread exists is because Merlin can't distinguish between the subjective "you don't do it for me personally" and the objective "you're inherently inferior".

[ 04. November 2010, 06:19: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I thank God that I don't know amyone with such a repugnent and blatantly wrongheaded attitude as MtM's in RL.

Given that we're talking about a complete racist douchebag, d'ya think we could avoid acronyms that might lead people to associate that description with the wrong shipmate?

Please?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
I thank God that I don't know amyone with such a repugnent and blatantly wrongheaded attitude as MtM's in RL.

Given that we're talking about a complete racist douchebag, d'ya think we could avoid acronyms that might lead people to associate that description with the wrong shipmate?

Please?

Oh yes, I was referring to Merlinthemadracist - sorry Marvin!
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This

some races are repugnant in appearance

beggars belief. Well, actually, given the source, maybe not. What beggars belief is the fact that someone who not only manages to HOLD this view in this day and age and place is also clueless enough to express it.

[ 04. November 2010, 11:31: Message edited by: Apocalypso ]

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Please?

[Devil] But as you're such a monstrous Tory, is it the wrong idea?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fuck off, clingfilm.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:

Who knows...maybe I'll be the next crazy one?

Who knows...did you go off your meds, too?

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What a waste of bandwidth. The asshole drops the race-bomb, goes off for a bit while others express outrage, and then comes back to say, "Oh, dear me, no, not me -- I don't believe those dreadful things." Confront him with his own words and he claims that's not what he meant: "Those are the views of all kinds of other people." He does it over and over.

Merlin's not a homophobic twat -- it's all those OTHER people who are, and we might as well bow to the pressure they exert.

Merlin's not a racist turd -- it's all those OTHER people who are repelled by differing eye-folds or skin-color or skull-shapes.

He slides around from one position to another like ice cream on a car fender in a Death Valley heat wave, exhibiting all the sincerity of a starlet on a casting couch.

What a sneaky, mealy-mouthed, dishonest, manipulative creep.

[ 04. November 2010, 23:33: Message edited by: Apocalypso ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just read Merlin's attempt to dig himself out of the racist hole he dug and then crawled into.

You've got to admire his persistence in attempting to maintain a position by restating it, without the more offensive terms, but he's outed himself, once and for all.

It won't be forgotten.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

On the other hand, it does seem to get ignored.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Merlin, I don't know if you have been following this thread but just on the off-chance that you have I would ask if you remember the late 1970s, the era of Punk?

Do you perhaps remember John Cooper Clarke, the Punk Poet from Salford? He was well known for a while and still makes appearances on stage in Britain.

I am thinking of him as one of his more acidic works is about some poor unfortunate who was not particularly popular and who was attacked and lambasted from every side. It includes the line:

quote:
They haven't got a good word for you, but I have...

...TWAT!

QED

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What do you call it when someone uses irony - saying the opposite of what they mean - but it's not done for comic effect, it's just because of complete incompetence in constructing logical arguments?

Merlin's doing it at least a couple of times per post.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
What do you call it when someone uses irony - saying the opposite of what they mean - but it's not done for comic effect, it's just because of complete incompetence in constructing logical arguments?

Merlin's doing it at least a couple of times per post.

You don't call it anything, you just quietly despair and give up hope of ever understanding them.

[Waterworks]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Oh, I don't know. Looks to me like various posters on this thread understand Merlin forwards, backwards, sideways, and inside out.

The "no understanding" clause applies to Merlin himself, and that's what we despair of.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I don't know; if somebody is being ironic without intending to be, that's kind of ironic.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I don't know; if somebody is being ironic without intending to be, that's kind of ironic.
Meta-ironic?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's called "back pedaling".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Three times I have asked Merlin whether he really thinks homophobia is biologically determined as he appears to have claimed. Three times he has replied telling me his views on homosexuality. Am I doing something wrong? Is he failing to read for comprehension? Or is he deliberately not answering the question I am asking?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by JoannaP:
[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Three times I have asked Merlin whether he really thinks homophobia is biologically determined as he appears to have claimed. Three times he has replied telling me his views on homosexuality. Am I doing something wrong? Is he failing to read for comprehension? Or is he deliberately not answering the question I am asking?

To answer your questions: no, no, yes.

Merlin knows exactly what he is doing. His method is to wind people up (not trolling at all) and he delights in setting up arguments then diverting the discussion. He's actually very smart, but I can't see any use for him.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...I can't see any use for him.

Amen. I give up (not in). I'm getting a headache from [brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

quote:
Merlin knows exactly what he is doing. His method is to wind people up (not trolling at all) and he delights in setting up arguments then diverting the discussion. He's actually very smart, but I can't see any use for him.

Really? Are you sure he's not just too stupid to breathe?

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Apocalypso:
quote:

Really? Are you sure he's not just too stupid to breathe?
He's certainly smart enough to breathe: it's an involuntary act IIRC and 'oxygen thief' is a pretty accurate description of him.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Well, you've been around longer than I have, you've had more experience; you may be right.

But I still think he's a few dangles short of a chandelier. B&W thinking; sweeping generalizations; inability to imagine or empathize with The Other.

Sad, really.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And a curious addiction to inverted commas, as well. I know it's a trivial point in the midst of all the hateful confused twaddle, but it just annoys me...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
But I still think he's a few dangles short of a chandelier. B&W thinking; sweeping generalizations; inability to imagine or empathize with The Other.

It's either that or he simply can't write for nuts.

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Or clarity, either. [Two face]

Maybe he thinks he can convert people to his wingnuttery through misdirection?

[ 14. November 2010, 21:57: Message edited by: Apocalypso ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Maybe he thinks he can convert people to his wingnuttery through misdirection?

I think you might be onto something there. That might be what all the ducking and weaving is about. Try a proposition, if that gets knocked down, modify something and see if it now becomes more reasonable. Above all, do not say what you really mean in any more than 1 post in 3, lest your prey figure it out.

He really does seem entirely reasonable on occasion. But that's only when you read little snippets in isolation, not the great overwhelming and constantly shifting tide of jetsam.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He once called me "an Enemy." I think now that perhaps that should be a point of pride.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which is when it's time to remind everyone once again that all these posts simply feed the beast.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse.:
He once called me "an Enemy." I think now that perhaps that should be a point of pride.

Ooh. Any tips on your successful method for achieving Enemy status?

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Well, I can't help with that question. I have one of my own, though: is Merlin's sudden silence a sign that he's reading, digesting, and working on changing his posting style?

Or is he simply trying to work out yet another way to re-frame prejudice in more politically-acceptable verbal garb, assuming we're all too dim to notice?

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Well, I can't help with that question. I have one of my own, though: is Merlin's sudden silence a sign that he's reading, digesting, and working on changing his posting style?

Or is he simply trying to work out yet another way to re-frame prejudice in more politically-acceptable verbal garb, assuming we're all too dim to notice?

No- he's simply spending far too much of his spare time writing loooong posts in DH to have any excess capacity to waste here [Big Grin]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Ooh. Any tips on your successful method for achieving Enemy status?

Confront him, on a regular basis, with inconvenient facts which refute his looneytoon assertions, and back them up with lots of sources. He'll be furious - and then he'll go silent, until his next wacko attack.

It also helps to be an uppity woman in this case, of course.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse.:

Well done. [Overused] That should be worn with the same pride as the "bad monkey" medal from Shirley Phelps-Roper.

I have just caught up with the Dead Horse thread, having read the last 3 pages in one sitting and and off to have a lie down.

Shouldn't hosting Dead Horses and having to read all Merlin's posts be covered under the Geneva Convention as a cruel and unusual punishment?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Probably. Personally, I've learned to check this thread before checking the DH one.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Here - help yourself to the brain bleach!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

Shouldn't hosting Dead Horses and having to read all Merlin's posts be covered under the Geneva Convention as a cruel and unusual punishment?

It certainly deserves a medal and large amounts of chocolate.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Ewww -- chocolate and brain bleach don't mix!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

It certainly deserves a medal and large amounts of chocolate.
You're absolutely right, and it's about fuckin' time somebody gave team DH the love they deserve.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder] to the DH team! (I'm told it's all you need.)

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The Beatles said, "All you need is love"
And then they broke up!

--Larry Norman

--------------------

QJ
Shipmate
# 14873

- Posted      Profile for QJ   Email QJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank goodness for so many people having the opportunity to blast someone and for the ability to put it so nicely.
In america, life is so expensive that it has become hard to help people out when they have gotten themselves into economic trouble.
I know a family who lives humbly but their kids have internet service and cell phones. They get all sorts of assistance from many sources. They love God and their fellow man and are a blessing to the community. We have helped them out in various ways so they could get by.
If the goverment will give people help why would they not take it?
If the church will give people help why should they not take it?
I am amazed at how angry christians will get, myself included, and it's as if we are reaching out to prove we are spiritual by doing and saying things we know better than to say. Mostly all i prove is that i am dull of hearing and thought and God is gracious.
I hope that everyone out there will find work of some sort and can pay their bills. I hope that kids get enough to eat each day. we like to give to the Salvation Army and Food For The Poor among others. we choose to support those sorts of things. i don't really choose where my tax dollars are spent, they just take the money and give it away.

--------------------
QJ

Posts: 111 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Nah, all things considered I don't think that post was worth dragging the thread up from the depths for.

If (when?) Merlin posts more stupid shit someone can start a new thread for it.

This one go bye-bye now.

Marvin
Hellhost

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We were working at the Same Time. I moved his (QJ's) post to AS in the How to economize thread.

That said, I agree with you about this thread.

PeteC
The Really Nice Hellhost

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016