homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Vote on Scottish Independence (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Vote on Scottish Independence
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Its odd how little people have talked about blood ties, how many folk living elsewhere in the UK do you think have at least one Scottish born grandparent or a relative they know in Scotland ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
So why aren't you campaigning for English independence ?

Because all the English have to do is wait for the rest to bugger off and we can have all the EU opts outs without the bother of having to pander to the Celtic nations.

We'll just rename The UK as England and job done.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I'm English...I wear a kilt.

I don't wish to be rude, old chap, but isn't that rather regarded as something of a faux pas? Or at least rather rum?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
So some retailers are threatening to punish the naughty Scots if they vote the wrong way.

They can't vote the 'wrong' way: they're being marched to the polls to ensure they vote the 'right' way.
That's what the Telegraph says, but it's not what the poster says. Besides, isn't it going to be a secret ballot?
Yes, it is a secret ballot. But in what way do you think Iain Martin is wrong?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Yes, I wonder if there's an element of crying wolf about these warnings. It's quite likely that many people will become inured to them, or even cynical - well, they would say that, especially with Cameron breathing down their neck.

Yes, all these banks announcing they'll move south. Probably just crying wolf, besides which won't matter much. But, Nessie! Please, No!

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
But, Nessie! Please, No!

She's just goin a donner 'fore the borders change.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I haven't noticed much discussion of future cuts; this seems odd to me, since Osborne is currently saying that the cuts have only just started, as the deficit is still large.

The question then is: will independence enable a Scottish government to avoid such swingeing cuts? I have no idea, and it's possible that the yes campaign don't want to go into this.

Possible also, that the no campaign don't either: vote no, and look forward to further cuts, is not exactly an exciting slogan.

The Labour lot are currently bigging up solidarity and social justice - how about future cuts to welfare under Labour then?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:

The question then is: will independence enable a Scottish government to avoid such swingeing cuts? I have no idea, and it's possible that the yes campaign don't want to go into this.

Depends what you mean by swingeing. Scotland will need to cut spending, but for different longer term reasons - demographic trends aren't favourable, and North Sea oil revenues are on a decline.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

I don't wish to be rude, old chap, but isn't that rather regarded as something of a faux pas? Or at least rather rum?
I wouldn't have thought so. AIUI the kilt (as opposed to the plaid) was invented by an Englishman- I think (haven't got my copy of Hobsbawm's The Invention of Tradition any more) a Lancashire Quaker ironmaster who set up a plant in the Highlands some time in the C18.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That has been mildly debunked.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
quote:

I wouldn't have thought so. AIUI the kilt (as opposed to the plaid) was invented by an Englishman- I think (haven't got my copy of Hobsbawm's The Invention of Tradition any more) a Lancashire Quaker ironmaster who set up a plant in the Highlands some time in the C18.
But why would you want to wear a skirt anyway?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
quote:

Because all the English have to do is wait for the rest to bugger off and we can have all the EU opts outs without the bother of having to pander to the Celtic nations.

Man, and people wonder why English holiday homes in Wales got firebombed so much.

Not that I'm condoning such actions, militant pacifist and all, but root causes.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Deano isn't exactly an exemplar of a unionist tory.

--------------------

Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, if he's just trolling, that's ok. I've been away for a fair few years (I think I hit 7500 posts or so in 2005, if that gives you some idea), so I'm not familiar with some of the relatively newer faces.

[ 13. September 2014, 09:51: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
quote:

But why would you want to wear a skirt anyway?
You wouldn't. You're a happily married man whose wife finds you irresistible as you are. But for men who want to create a frisson with the opposite sex, or for men whose wives like to see their husbands looking sexy, kilts are unbeatable.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Farage is going to Scotland to campaign for the No vote, despite pleas not to as he'll damage their cause. Last year he ended up barricaded in a pub.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Oh, if he's just trolling, that's ok. I've been away for a fair few years (I think I hit 7500 posts or so in 2005, if that gives you some idea), so I'm not familiar with some of the relatively newer faces.

Ahem. Long-term absence is no excuse for ignoring the 10 Commandments; accusing other posters of trolling breaches them. Please refrain outside Hell.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

There isn't a direct connection, but everything like that is a reminder of eight, nine centuries, easy of violent repression that continued into the twentieth century. Also, gentrification pisses people off.

Firebombing homes is never ever going to be OK, and a crime is a crime, and a victim, a victim, and I'd never say, you shouldn't have bought a house there, but accounting for the reasons and causes for these actions is not victim blaming.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
hosting/
quote:

Ahem. Long-term absence is no excuse for ignoring the 10 Commandments; accusing other posters of trolling breaches them. Please refrain outside Hell.

/hosting

oops, sorry, Eutychus. I honestly forgot how loaded the T-word is here, and should have phrased my comment more like, "If he's just having a laugh" or something. Won't happen again.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
There isn't a direct connection, but everything like that is a reminder of eight, nine centuries, easy of violent repression that continued into the twentieth century. Also, gentrification pisses people off.

Firebombing homes is never ever going to be OK, and a crime is a crime, and a victim, a victim, and I'd never say, you shouldn't have bought a house there, but accounting for the reasons and causes for these actions is not victim blaming.

Not much violent repression here in Wales since the later middle ages, or not much based on nationality rather than class or economic interests, anyway. Cultural and linguistic repression is perhaps a different story but even that didn't AIUI really get going until the age of mass education and literacy- which also produced a flowering of (a particular kind of ) indigenous Welsh culture. Gentrification and holiday homes are a real problem for many rural communities in Wales as elsewhere in the UK, although here there is often the languaage question too: but actually questions about affordability and incomers are affecting London too. If I were still living in london I would quite seriously be thinking about attacking some of those big foreign owned investment blocks of luxury flats, if I could be sure of doing so without endangering life.

Still, FWA and Meibion Glyndwr were pretty marginal overall. BTW Joke for Welsh-speaking shipmates (it's a 'what do you call..' joke but I can't really translate it because it depends on a pun which doesn't work at all in English);

Q: Beth ydych chi'n galw un o ferched Meibion Glyndwr?
A: Tania!

[ 13. September 2014, 10:12: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

Albertus, the rules say you have to at least attempt a translation - thanks in advance.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

OK, happy to try.
What do you call one of the girls/ daughters of Meibion Glyndwr (the group that used to burn holiday homes)?

Tania! (Which, apart from being a girl's name, means 'light up/ fire up' in Welsh).

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Wood
# 7

Problem is, it's untranslatable.

What did the Meibion Glyndwr activist call his daughter?

TANIA.

Because Tania sounds like the Welsh for burning, or fire.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

Crossposted! Sorry.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Thanks, though!

[ 13. September 2014, 10:34: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

This doesn't really do the no campaign any favours either.

It is to be hoped that there would not be a loyalist paramilitary campaign if Scotland does become Independent.

(No one has talked about possible terrorism, I think that it is unlikely - though I know there was sectarian vote rigging in Scotland in the recent past.)

[ 13. September 2014, 10:57: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's one thing - for some time if you're English speaking, the best passports to have are Eire and NZ. Everyone who loves the English also loves the Irish and Kiwis. Anyone who hates the English tends to love the Irish (and in this case the Kiwis are neutral). A Scottish passport would also be good for travelling :-)

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

You are displaying a remarkable - though sadly rather typical - ignorance of your own national history. 'Pandering' is an interesting word to use for the several hundreds' years worth of oppression, conflict and exploitation practiced upon the provincial nations by their 'big brother', in the Union.

Arguably, this is, of course, part of the very reason why - for many centuries - the celtic nations (that is, the original Britons) have been trying their best to 'bugger off' from the influence of the Franco-Norman-Anglo incomers.

However, having provided the English nation with the basis of its wealth, international reputation and erstwhile empire, it can be well understood why former vassals, such as Scotland, would like to strike out on their own. Your convenient amnesia regarding your own historical and political heritage rather demonstrates why the 'yes' vote becomes ever more attractive to Scotland.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
You are displaying a remarkable - though sadly rather typical - ignorance of your own national history. 'Pandering' is an interesting word to use for the several hundreds' years worth of oppression, conflict and exploitation practiced upon the provincial nations by their 'big brother', in the Union.

If you think this is reasonable summary of British history then I have to say that you are displaying an equal, though opposite ignorance.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Do enlighten us.

--------------------
Narcissism.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ETA: response to Spawn
Calumnia , conflictus et immitis*
Would be an honest British motto. Though in fairness, same could be said for any powerful nation.

*Oppression, Conflict and Exploitation

[ 13. September 2014, 14:55: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The English queen imprisoning her Scottish cousin wasn't that friendly...

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was a long time ago, Orfeo. For something more recent, how about Westminster's insistence in the Edinburgh Agreement that DevoMax was not an option and that Scots had to vote either "Yes" or "No" despite the fact that Westminster knew that most Scots would have preferred a middle way.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
That was a long time ago, Orfeo. For something more recent, how about Westminster's insistence in the Edinburgh Agreement that DevoMax was not an option and that Scots had to vote either "Yes" or "No" despite the fact that Westminster knew that most Scots would have preferred a middle way.

Oh, how oppressed the Scots are because they weren't allowed a multi-question referendum. (For reasons that have already been debated up thread).

Anselmina's summary of British history is absurd because it is so partial.

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

The SNP were willing to go ahead with the vote on that basis. They could have told Westminster where to stick it as they also knew full well that most Scots would have preferred the middle way.

No doubt if there is a yes vote and it doesn't deliver the moon on a stick that some Scots expect, that will be Westminster's fault as well.

Did the agreement actually set out what would be seen as "decisive expression" and a "result everyone will respect"?

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
The English queen imprisoning her Scottish cousin wasn't that friendly...

Admittedly said Scottish queen trying to steal Liz's throne and/or have her killed wasn't that friendly either.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
quote:

Oh, how oppressed the Scots are because they weren't allowed a multi-question referendum. (For reasons that have already been debated up thread).

So what you're saying is that because there are good bits of history, the bad bits of history don't count?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

Or to put it another way, Anselmina's summary of the ways in which England has historically wronged her neighbours is somehow lacking because it's only a summary of the way England has historically wronged her neighbours?

No, not buying it.

Lazy, argument-losing terms like "victimhood" are not adequate responses.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
quote:
quote:

So what you're saying is that because there are good bits of history, the bad bits of history don't count?
No, they both count. But I'm arguing against the idea that history is best seen as goodies and baddies or simplistically retold as such.
Wood
# 7

No, of course not, but we're not talking about objective history here. We're talking about systems of oppression, and, more importantly, resentments that come from an historical imbalance of privilege.

And those resentments do come from oppressive acts done by a more powerful nation. Good or bad, this happened.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
No, of course not, but we're not talking about objective history here. We're talking about systems of oppression, and, more importantly, resentments that come from an historical imbalance of privilege.

And those resentments do come from oppressive acts done by a more powerful nation. Good or bad, this happened.

No I'd be more likely to buy a narrative of the oppression of the Irish by the British government. But to my mind, the oppression of the Scots by the English is not the dominant theme of the history of the Union.
Wood
# 7

Granted, of the three neighbour nation the Scots have probably had it the least unpleasant.

--------------------
Narcissism.

TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well there were the Highland Clearances, though I guess the Lowland Scots were complicit in that.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
Well there were the Highland Clearances, though I guess the Lowland Scots were complicit in that.

This makes my point for me. It makes as much sense to say the South 'oppressed' the north, except that people in the South were also 'oppressed'. We had this earlier in the thread when there was this daft knee jerk reaction against Londoners. Yet poor people in London are as desperate as anywhere else and often more isolated in a place where everything is so expensive. Blaming a geographical location or an entire nation for poverty and injustice is pointless.
Wood
# 7

quote:
We had this earlier in the thread when there was this daft knee jerk reaction against Londoners.

This is disingenuous and you know it.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:

The first Duchess of Sutherland, a Scot, was rather more than complicit in the Clearances; and IIRC from John Prebble's book in the subject, there were clan chiefs who went into exile with their dispossessed people and chiefs who more or less sold their people into exile. I suspect that the Scots upper- and up-and-coming- classes, whether Highland or Lowland, were perfectly capable of giving their own poorer countrymen a hard time withou needing any help or encouragement from south of the Tweed.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Granted, of the three neighbour nation the Scots have probably had it the least unpleasant.

So, I'm Da's favourite 'cause he beats me less?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
quote:
We had this earlier in the thread when there was this daft knee jerk reaction against Londoners.

No it isn't. For a start Jane R and Anselmina used the term vassals. The former in terms of the relationship between Londoners and people in the rest of the UK and the latter to characterise the relationship between England and Scotland. I thought both claims were utter bullshit.

Just don't make sweeping statements against whole classes of people and whole nations and I'll very happily shut up.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
quote:

So, I'm Da's favourite 'cause he beats me less?
Well, quite. I would never suggest that Scotland has had it easy.

[ 13. September 2014, 21:49: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:
quote:

No it isn't. For a start Jane R and Anselmina used the term vassals. The former in terms of the relationship between Londoners and people in the rest of the UK and the latter to characterise the relationship between England and Scotland. I thought both claims were utter bullshit.

Yes, and you said so. You never however backed that up. Particularly with respect to Anselmina, whose summary of provincial grievances you never actually rebutted.

[ 13. September 2014, 21:58: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016