homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Vote on Scottish Independence (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Vote on Scottish Independence
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

There is I guess some major subtlety in all this due to the fact that the loss of the British citizenship was tied to the establishment of a Republic. Whereas, if I get this right, prior to this point Ireland was still sort of under the dominion of the British crown and hence rules for "British subjects" applied. So perhaps this is a practical reason for the wish to keep the Queen: so that a status as British subject prevails and allows to avoid a direct loss of British citizenship for most Scots. But I have some difficulty with thinking in terms of crown vs. country in all this, no doubt due to not growing up in a monarchy...

Nearly but IIRC from my distant days as a law student, not quite. The old Commonwealth of monarchies was starting to change by the late 40s: Eire became the Republic of Ireland, and left the Commonwealth , in 1949, and India became a republic within the Commonwealth in 1950 (having been an independent Empire since 1947). So (i) the UK Parliament specifically legislated to say that citizens of the Republic of Ireland would not be treated as foreigners in any way and (ii) the status of 'Commonwealth Citizen' develoiped, which doesn't give rights of entry or abode but once you are here does mean that you can vote, sit in parliament, and join the forces or the civil service. It's hard to imagine circumstances in which an independent Scotland, under Elizabeth, Queen of Scots, would not join the Commonwealth.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I'm curious: an independent Scotland will still be part of the island called Great Britain, so technically wouldn't they still be "British"?

Is there a better general term to for those in the rUK?

itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Albian?

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Now I'm curious: an independent Scotland will still be part of the island called Great Britain, so technically wouldn't they still be "British"?
Great Britain is great because it is the largest of the isles called 'British'. The next largest one is called Ireland... [Razz]

So the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Island geographically omits those living on say Anglesey, or Mull, or IoW - but offers them citizenship. I guess any new state might be called the United Kingdom of England, Wales and NI, or something like that.

[ 16. September 2014, 20:03: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm - not sure, Mark. I've always thought it was used in the same sense of Greater Manchester or Greater London and would therefore include the islands

You could still call it Britain. In Roman times Britannia referred to the British speaking area south of Hadrian's Wall ( although today the said wall is purely within England) and excluded the Picts and the frontier today is not dissimilar

However I hope this is purely academic as I hope Scotland will vote to continue the union. Although Spawn may be right in this respect I do not have his confidence. I only wish I did

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
Great Britain is great because it is the largest of the isles called 'British'. The next largest one is called Ireland... [Razz]

AIUI it's to distinguish it from Brittany.
Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Ditto - my dad moved away from his birthplace, but doing the family history is incredibly complex as I've got back to 1500ish on the maternal and paternal lines of each of his great grandparents without getting more than 12 miles from where he was born.

It actually goes back to the link I posted yesterday about most people in England being Celt - people have not entered the country in sufficient numbers, and nor have they moved around, enough to actually make a difference in most rural areas (except in the areas where they're Viking, or Saxon, but the point stands). Towns and cities I grant you are different.

As a result of mining on my mum's side I've got Scots and Irish, Geordies and Mackems. On my dad's, 500 years of the Dove Valley and a relationship to practically every surname on every village headstone for a dozen miles radius.

I think if more of the rural types looked at their family trees, many of them may be surprised by the sheer lack of variety as they go back over recorded time.

Heavens you did well. One of my cousins did our (family tree on my father's side. He succeeded in tracing my family back to 1790 ( old Carmarthen family) but it gets more and more difficult before the 18th century

As far as I'm aware though I'm a pure breed Celt. Or perhaps not - if you went far enough back we might find a British princess doing a naughty with a Roman general!

Best not pursued perhaps....
[Smile]

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I think there has been recognition of the wider impact - on the rest of the UK in particular, but also wider afield. But, when it comes down to it the decision is one of what's best for the people living and working in Scotland, and that's what the Yes campaign has focussed on.

For sure, but in the event of a yes vote Westminster will begin negotiating based on what's best for the people who aren't living and working in Scotland, because Westminster will no longer be answerable to the Scots.

The vote itself may be based on what's best for the Scots, but that doesn't mean the entire process will (or even should) be.

Absolutely. I haven't thought it would be any different.

But, it has been implied (or, maybe it's just what I've inferred) that Westminster would enter negotiations seeking to "punish Scotland" for voting for independence, that the English electorate would be seeking evidence of the British Government (which, incidentally, would still technically be representing the whole UK including Scotland until Scotland actually becomes independent) being tough and standing firm. A pessimist could read that as the outcome of negotiations could be bad for both sides. Whereas I'm optimistic that on a large number of issues the position outlined in the Scottish White Paper is actually the best not only for Scotland but the rest of the UK as well.

The same, as has been said, goes for the EU negotiating for the best for the people of Europe.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Some aspects of Scottish government after a yes vote would also hinge on negotiations with the rump UK govt. There are a lot of issues to be decided - currency, debt, defence management, borders, and so on.

It's also likely that the British govt itself is not all that clear about this. Have the London civil service been preparing for negotiations, and will they hand their masters detailed notes on various categories? Well, maybe.

My guess (and, nothing more than that) is that civil servants are generally quite busy running things on a day to day basis, and so did very little in preparation for independence negotiations. Therefore, the various statements that came out during the campaign were produced from cursory thoughts produced by civil servants and/or paid consultants. However, in the last month or so as a Yes vote has been a real possibility then any civil servant worth their salt would have been thinking about the impact of a Yes vote on their department, and starting to put together the briefing papers their political masters will need for independence negotiations.

If there is a Yes vote then Friday will be taken up celebrating, the weekend getting over a hangover, then on Monday Alex Salmond will be on the steps of Whitehall with his opening statements of the negotiations for independence with a small forests worth of supporting documents prepared by Scottish Government civil servants and consultants. The British government will appear inept if they can't meet him on Monday without a similar amount of advice to support their negotiations.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suspect there is detailed contingency planning - the government is just not admitting it. The way they didn't talk about the planning for a hung parliament, and no one discusses the planning and rehearsals for the Queen's death.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

The British government has a "Plan B" that they refuse to discuss as well.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was referring to the UK government.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whatever the outcome, this is a historical moment. I'll follow it with interest.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems to be assumed that a “Yes” vote will lead to negotiations that will inevitably lead to the dismemberment of the United Kingdom. I’m not convinced that will necessarily be the case, especially if the “Yes” is carried with only a small majority.

As I understand it the Nationalist prospectus is based on the assumption of a currency union, a virtually automatic membership of the European Union, the end of austerity, and the establishment of a Scandinavian-style tax and welfare system. What, however, if rUK was not bluffing respecting the currency union, that entry into the EU proves as difficult and protracted as its opponents have suggested, and it was to become increasingly clear that independence threatened a period of austerity possibly greater than in rUK, thereby threatening the anticipated welfare bonanza? Is it possible that a significant proportion of the “Yeses” might feel they have been sold a pup and demand a referendum on the negotiated terms?

Furthermore, negotiations are more than likely to continue beyond the optimistic timetable envisaged, and not concluded before the scheduled Scottish Devolved Parliamentary Election in May 2016. If the negotiations were not to have gone well it is possible that a Unionist majority could emerge as a result of those elections, and its leaders would replace the Nationalist negotiators. What then? It could lead to a further referendum, which could lead to a rejection of the independence project.

If it were the case that circumstances led to a demand for a retention of the Union it would not only lead to a mess but the creation of a significant constituency who felt cheated of the 2014 outcome.

Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Whatever the outcome, this is a historical moment. I'll follow it with interest.

I've found it an amazing few weeks. It's become a very energized debate, involving people who I feel are not normally involved in political discussion.

I just hope it doesn't all fizzle out again. Politics is too important to be left to the politicians.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find some of the antics of Yes supporters very disturbing. Having done a bit of telephone canvassing for No, I wonder whether the reticence of some people to declare their voting intention might be because of fear?

Some may dismiss this as typical Daily Mail waffle, but I think the piece by Tom Bradby at the foot of the article is worth a look at.

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
I find some of the antics of Yes supporters very disturbing. Having done a bit of telephone canvassing for No, I wonder whether the reticence of some people to declare their voting intention might be because of fear?

Or just might be because people don't want to tell you something on the phone.

It must be disconcerting for some to get a phone call from some English person asking them if they are supporting x or y, all coached in terms to make No sound better.

This on top of the usual annoyance at being asked for an opinion on something that is very personal.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here in Canada, CBC's the National featured a piece where several Yes supporters would interviewed. It definitely looks to me like the Yes side is an anti-Tory, anti-austerity vote.

I wonder if the Yes Side would have this much momentum if Ed Milibrand was PM.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Some may dismiss this as typical Daily Mail waffle, but I think the piece by Tom Bradby at the foot of the article is worth a look at.

The Mail has a photo of "proud" Unionists "King William" banner. Frankly, any mention of the sectarian divide causes trouble in Scotland; this predates the referendum.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

quote:
I find some of the antics of Yes supporters very disturbing.
How do you know what the antics of Yes supporters are? Which newspapers are you getting your information from? Most people in Scotland would regard the waving of a King Billy flag as provocative, but the Daily Mail approves of this manifestation of ugly sectarianism as pride in the Union.

The Mail reports that people "fear" that if they have a No sticker on their car, their windows might be smashed, but doesn't give any evidence that this has actually happened.

George Galloway has been warned he might be be shot - he actually did have his jaw broken in an attack in England recently. I'm not condoning threats, but Galloway is a divisive figure, for reasons which go way beyond the current referendum. That someone has been hostile to George Galloway is up there with "bears shit in the woods" newswise. (Again, I stress I'm not condoning this).

"Pro-union canvassers been called ‘loyalist scum’ and ordered to hand over details of supporters so their ‘houses can be burned down'"

The inclusion of the word "loyalist" in this suggests that this has more to do with sectarianism (a blight on Scottish society) than the referendum.

I've seem "No" posters with "Yes" sprayed on, and I've seen "Yes" posters with "No" sprayed on. That bit is definitely true. But much of the rest is Daily Mail twaddle.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting as I'm currently in Edinburgh. It's all very low key to my eyes - not many posters and a few good natured people out trying to persuade late voters.

For many the decision has been made -- they voted by post. For others, I do suspect that the daily McMail's attempt to back "No" will have a reverse effect: it's so transparent that more will now vote "Yes"

All I want to know is this: will someone now tell me how to get rid of Cameron and his cronies too? How can I get home rule for the Fens which as we all know is the real England?

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
quote:

Or just might be because people don't want to tell you something on the phone.

It must be disconcerting for some to get a phone call from some English person asking them if they are supporting x or y, all coached in terms to make No sound better.

This on top of the usual annoyance at being asked for an opinion on something that is very personal.

Oh, yes, it could well be that. But I've tended to find the level of reticence higher than on other get-out-the-vote campaigns that I've worked on. I haven't been keeping a tally of responses so don't know for sure, but just a feeling I have.

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
But much of the rest is Daily Mail twaddle.

Feel free to think that, but Tom Bradby is a long-standing, respected ITN journalist. He's not Daily Mail twaddle too?
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anglican Brat:
quote:
Difficult to say; they might not have allowed an independence referendum in the first place, and if they had they'd probably have left DevoMax as an option. I don't think it was in their manifesto. But they would have had to make welfare cuts and they would probably have had to scale down the big projects that they started towards the end of their term, such as 'Building Schools for the Future.' Here's a summary of their 2010 manifesto, if anyone's interested.

Anglican't:
quote:
Tom Bradby is a long-standing, respected ITN journalist. He's not Daily Mail twaddle too?
If he submits his work to a Daily Mail editor, then categorising it as 'Daily Mail twaddle' is reasonable. They are not going to print anything they strongly disagree with, however highly respected he may be.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I would prefer it to see such a negative comparison with NI at the height of the Troubles being made by more than one journalist, and in a better newspaper than the Mail. Not wanting to impune the integrity of Tom Bradby, but if he's correct that "The Yes campaign's bullying and intimidation is worse than anything [he] saw while reporting on the Troubles in Northern Ireland" then it will be evident to every reporter on the ground who has also reported on the Troubles (he can't be the only one) and others will be able to support that accusation.

Of course, I've been away from the action for the last couple of weeks and things may have gone seriously downhill in that time, but I experienced no indication of anyone being bullied or intimidated (by either side). Just an impassioned discussion happening in practically every part of the country - at work, in the pub, church - with people engaging in politics more than I've ever seen before. Impassioned, lively, intelligent ... but not belligerant or nasty. Perhaps Mr Bradby has been unlucky and missed the demonstration of the democratic process at it's finest. Or, perhaps he's sought out the Orange Lodge and seen the nasty underside of Scottish society from an era long gone, that we all wish would just curl up and quietly die.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:

The SNP won a majority because there was disillusionment with the main parties. It's the same reason the Lib Dems had their best election ever in 2010 and UKIP is starting to make moves.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I would prefer it to see such a negative comparison with NI at the height of the Troubles being made by more than one journalist, and in a better newspaper than the Mail. Not wanting to impune the integrity of Tom Bradby, but if he's correct that "The Yes campaign's bullying and intimidation is worse than anything [he] saw while reporting on the Troubles in Northern Ireland" then it will be evident to every reporter on the ground who has also reported on the Troubles (he can't be the only one) and others will be able to support that accusation.

Of course, I've been away from the action for the last couple of weeks and things may have gone seriously downhill in that time, but I experienced no indication of anyone being bullied or intimidated (by either side). Just an impassioned discussion happening in practically every part of the country - at work, in the pub, church - with people engaging in politics more than I've ever seen before. Impassioned, lively, intelligent ... but not belligerant or nasty. Perhaps Mr Bradby has been unlucky and missed the demonstration of the democratic process at it's finest. Or, perhaps he's sought out the Orange Lodge and seen the nasty underside of Scottish society from an era long gone, that we all wish would just curl up and quietly die.

I think it is wise to take Mr Bradby's word for his own experiences and accept that the enthusiasm of some 'yes' voters (primarily from that camp) has led them to behave inappropriately at times. The heckling and attempts to shout people down are well documented. And then there is the protest at the BBC and the orchestrated attempts to silence a distinguished journalist. To her credit, Sturgeon condemned this, but Salmond describes it as joyous. My impression is that Salmond is a blustering bully and that his behaviour and language has fuelled some of the intimidatory tactics we have seen.
Posts: 3447 | From: North Devon | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

- Posted      Profile for Spawn   Email Spawn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Some people are making something of the fact that Bradby's view was published by the Daily Mail. Here's where I saw it yesterday.
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:

AIUI it's to distinguish it from Brittany.
Correct, the latter being historically known by some as 'Lesser Britain' (which in turn is to be distinguished with that Lucas-Walliams creation, 'Little Britain').

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:

The Mail has a photo of "proud" Unionists "King William" banner. Frankly, any mention of the sectarian divide causes trouble in Scotland; this predates the referendum.
Yes, and the Orange Order's parade the other day in support of the Union worked in favour of the 'no' campaign about as well as one of Deano's contributions to this thread!

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
If he submits his work to a Daily Mail editor, then categorising it as 'Daily Mail twaddle' is reasonable. They are not going to print anything they strongly disagree with, however highly respected he may be.

I'll remember this when someone eminent writes for the Guardian or Independent...
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who listened to Alec Salmond on the radio this morning? I found him unconvincing personally.

A lot what he said sounded to me like “I want this to be true, therefore it is true” as if he can influence everyone else’s responses by sheer willpower.

Also I found a bit odd his comment that if you want to know what the military really think, then you need to listen to 102 year-old veterans, not y'know, the actual military commanders of today.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anglican't:
quote:
I'll remember this when someone eminent writes for the Guardian or Independent...
What did I say that sounded like 'the rules of journalism only apply to the Daily Fail'?

All of the media has an agenda. Admittedly the agenda is usually 'how can we get people to buy our stuff' but anyone who thinks the Mail would publish an unbiased view of the Scottish referendum is dreaming. Whipping up English xenophobia is what they do.

<sarcasm on> And the 'Yes' campaign's tactics are comparable to the worst that happened in Northern Ireland in the Troubles? Really? They're shooting anyone who disagrees with them? I must have missed those reports somehow. <\sarcasm off> Or maybe that was journalistic hyperbole.

And I say this as someone who also finds Alex Salmond unconvincing. But the 'Yes' campaign isn't just about him.

[ 17. September 2014, 09:07: Message edited by: Jane R ]

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, the comments about N. Ireland baffled me. Is he saying that people treated journalists in Ulster better than in Scotland? Otherwise, it sounds bonkers.

--------------------

Spawn
Shipmate
# 4867

quote:
Yes, the comments about N. Ireland baffled me. Is he saying that people treated journalists in Ulster better than in Scotland? Otherwise, it sounds bonkers.

Nothing baffling about it. He's absolutely clear that this is about his experience as a journalist in both situations. He is not saying that yes campaigners are terrorists or paramilitary but that they are behaving unpleasantly.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Spawn:
quote:

Nothing baffling about it. He's absolutely clear that this is about his experience as a journalist in both situations. He is not saying that yes campaigners are terrorists or paramilitary but that they are behaving unpleasantly.
Well, at least one journalist was assassinated in Ulster, Martin O'Hagan, probably by a loyalist group, although nobody was ever charged.

I guess Bradby is talking about his own personal experience; fair enough, but it does sound odd. I remember being in Ulster, and I had a lovely time, with very charming people, however, I would not therefore say that Ulster was lovely at that time.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If you're only just waking up to the idea that newspapers have a bias, and that as readers, we have to recognise that to try and sort out the propaganda from the facts... that explains a lot of your posts.

[ 17. September 2014, 09:24: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
It seems to be assumed that a “Yes” vote will lead to negotiations that will inevitably lead to the dismemberment of the United Kingdom. I’m not convinced that will necessarily be the case, especially if the “Yes” is carried with only a small majority.

As I understand it the Nationalist prospectus is based on the assumption of a currency union, a virtually automatic membership of the European Union, the end of austerity, and the establishment of a Scandinavian-style tax and welfare system. What, however, if rUK was not bluffing respecting the currency union, that entry into the EU proves as difficult and protracted as its opponents have suggested, and it was to become increasingly clear that independence threatened a period of austerity possibly greater than in rUK, thereby threatening the anticipated welfare bonanza? Is it possible that a significant proportion of the “Yeses” might feel they have been sold a pup and demand a referendum on the negotiated terms?

Furthermore, negotiations are more than likely to continue beyond the optimistic timetable envisaged, and not concluded before the scheduled Scottish Devolved Parliamentary Election in May 2016. If the negotiations were not to have gone well it is possible that a Unionist majority could emerge as a result of those elections, and its leaders would replace the Nationalist negotiators. What then? It could lead to a further referendum, which could lead to a rejection of the independence project.

If it were the case that circumstances led to a demand for a retention of the Union it would not only lead to a mess but the creation of a significant constituency who felt cheated of the 2014 outcome.

Well, they’re not going to call themselves Unionists due to the baggage that comes with the name!

Scotland is voting to split off from the Union and to become an independent country. That’s all the yes vote guarantees they get. The White Paper is a wish list of how Scotland would like things to work. Some of those things will come to pass, whilst others won’t. Some things will take longer to sort than others.

It’s possible that a Scottish political party whose USP is restoring the Union may form and become popular. But all sides have said that once the Union is broken, it’s broken forever. But politicians say lots of things! [Big Grin]

As Scotland would be the one seeking re-admission, the whole of rUK and Scotland would have to vote on it. RUK is likely to be split between those who still believe that we’re better together and would vote yes; those who believe that what’s done is done and would vote no and all shades in-between.

Heck, whilst I’d vote no on Thursday if I could, if there is another referendum in a generation about readmitting Scotland to the Union, I’d also vote no. Some things can’t be repaired. You have to accept they’re finished and move on.

Tubbs

PS Are we going to have to come up with some sort of varient of Godwin's Law, that an arguement is automatically lost if it is justified by an article in the Daily Mail. [Biased]

[ 17. September 2014, 10:25: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

If you're only just waking up to the idea that newspapers have a bias, and that as readers, we have to recognise that to try and sort out the propaganda from the facts... that explains a lot of your posts.
Erm, not sure what posts you have in mind, but I think I have as healthy cynicism of the press as the next man. I think everyone has a tendency to question the identity of the messenger when the message is not to one’s liking and was just remarking on this.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
What, however, if rUK was not bluffing respecting the currency union, that entry into the EU proves as difficult and protracted as its opponents have suggested, and it was to become increasingly clear that independence threatened a period of austerity possibly greater than in rUK, thereby threatening the anticipated welfare bonanza?

Salmond will blame it all on England and/or the EU for not giving Scotland exactly what it wants, like a spoilt child screaming at his parents because he didn't get every single Christmas present he'd asked for.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Mrs B remarked on this as well: she said the other night that Salmond comes across as a recalcitrant teenager who, fed up with his parents, wants to leave home and thinks he can make a far better fist of it that them, but when he screws up will come knocking on their door begging for readmittance; in that regard, he's not a great advert for the 'yes' campaign (but then again, the three main Westminster party leaders aren't for 'no' either).

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
posted by Spawn:
quote:

He is not saying that yes campaigners are terrorists or paramilitary but that they are behaving unpleasantly.

....to the worst that happened in the Northern Ireland Troubles.....

......so, is that when they were naughty and shouted slogans? I dunno, but to be honest I have a very different memory of that period; like when someone dropped dead in the street in front of me after being shot in the head, or when body bits fell out of the sky after a car bomb (and you know they hit with such a thump that you never forget the sound), or all those bloody pointless bomb scares that put a city and region into deep freeze for twenty-five years. Then there was all that horrific shite I saw on the news, I guess the most memorable being when two hapless soldiers were in the wrong car at the wrong time and were literally torn apart by a crowd on a day when evil hung in the air like a thick smoke. Maybe when he said this idiotic, facile, and ignorant statement he had a momentary lapse of memory. Then again, maybe it's not in his memory and (rather unsurprisingly at this stage) he does not know the history of his own union.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I find really disturbing is the NO campaigns assurance that, if the vote is NO, then the Barnett formula for public spending will be kept, which is shocking.

The formula already means that spending per head between Scotland and the UK as a whole favours Scotland by an average of over 20% over the past 14 years (Northern Ireland nearly 30%). While this might be affordable in good times, when budgets are being squeezed throughout the UK it is grossly unfair to expect other UK regions - primarily England and Wales - to make do with less simply so that the Scots don't have to tighten their belts. The fact that Barnett was devised to improve on the Goschen formula as a sop when devolution was first mooted means that notwithstanding nearly 40 years of political bribery we've still had to listen to endless moaning about how hard done by they are.

If the vote is YES then the separation must happen quickly - and we should learn from the mistakes we made when Ireland became independent in the 40s and stop any nonsense of being 'not part of the UK but still in the UK really' that made fighting the IRA so much harder and still muddies the waters today.

As for the tactics of the YES campaign, I know of two families of Scots origin with holiday homes north of the border but without a vote - one has found itself almost ostracised in the local village, the other arrived in July to discover nearly all their fence posts decorated with YES posters. Not nice.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

I was chatting on Monday to a CoS (I assume) Minister from Dundee, who appeared to be made of pretty stern stuff. He was voting No and said it was becoming extremely uncomfortable for No voters there.
Amanda in the South Bay
Apprentice
# 18185

- Posted      Profile for Amanda in the South Bay   Email Amanda in the South Bay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Interesting as I'm currently in Edinburgh. It's all very low key to my eyes - not many posters and a few good natured people out trying to persuade late voters.

For many the decision has been made -- they voted by post. For others, I do suspect that the daily McMail's attempt to back "No" will have a reverse effect: it's so transparent that more will now vote "Yes"

All I want to know is this: will someone now tell me how to get rid of Cameron and his cronies too? How can I get home rule for the Fens which as we all know is the real England?

If there's one thing I've learned by watching this debate from the US, (And no, I can't claim my ancestors 200 years ago were from Scotland) is that *every* no side argument is taken by the yes side as something that will backfire.
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

Anglican't:
quote:
I think everyone has a tendency to question the identity of the messenger when the message is not to one’s liking...
I was questioning his sanity, actually. Or possibly his sense of proportion. See Fletcher Christian's post, above.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda in the South Bay:
If there's one thing I've learned by watching this debate from the US, (And no, I can't claim my ancestors 200 years ago were from Scotland) is that *every* no side argument is taken by the yes side as something that will backfire.

It seems to be generally the other way around - it't the arguments from the Yes side that the No side point out are likely to backfire. It's not that easy to point out where the proposals of the No side might backfire because it's so hard to actually get any proposals out of them in the first place!

But, of course we recognise that what we want may not work out. It's part of the risk of growing up and leaving home to live on your own. The Yes campaign have invited us to take the risk of being independent, presenting a vision I believe will be worth the risk.

--------------------

Amanda in the South Bay
Apprentice
# 18185

- Posted      Profile for Amanda in the South Bay   Email Amanda in the South Bay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda in the South Bay:

It seems to be generally the other way around - it't the arguments from the Yes side that the No side point out are likely to backfire. It's not that easy to point out where the proposals of the No side might backfire because it's so hard to actually get any proposals out of them in the first place!

But, of course we recognise that what we want may not work out. It's part of the risk of growing up and leaving home to live on your own. The Yes campaign have invited us to take the risk of being independent, presenting a vision I believe will be worth the risk.

Likewise, the yes side doesn't seem to actually have any specific proposals rather than wishful thinking.
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

No, I would say the proposals from the Scottish government are very specific. Retaining membership of the EU is specific, as is currency union with the rest of the UK, maintain pensions and health service funding, encouraging inward investment of talent and people through relaxed immigration controls, getting rid of nuclear weapons from Scottish territory.

The issue isn't their specificity, it's whether or not they're realistically achievable.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
No, I would say the proposals from the Scottish government are very specific. Retaining membership of the EU is specific, as is currency union with the rest of the UK, maintain pensions and health service funding, encouraging inward investment of talent and people through relaxed immigration controls, getting rid of nuclear weapons from Scottish territory.

The issue isn't their specificity, it's whether or not they're realistically achievable.

Anything that Scotland has direct control over is realistically achievable. So immigration rules will be relaxed and Trident will be gone.

Maintaining funding for the NHS and pensions will be depend on whose sums are right.

Anything that relies on other people, such as EU membership on the same terms as they currently have, may not be. I don't doubt that Scotland will end up being a member of the EU. But I think it will take longer than the SNP expect and the deal won't be be as good.

Two of those things on that list are mutually exclusive. Scotland can't have currency union with the UK and be a member of the EU. EU rules say that new members have to join the Euro. The EU is likely to insist on that as new Euro memmbers would be seen as a positive after the events of the last few years. [ETA: I'm also completely confused about why a country seeking independence would want currency union with the country it's leaving. It leaves them with less economic control].

Tubbs

[ 17. September 2014, 14:25: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
All I want to know is this: will someone now tell me how to get rid of Cameron and his cronies too?

There's this thing callen a "general election" that will be happening in May next year...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016