homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Promiscuity, hooking up .. a problem and why? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Promiscuity, hooking up .. a problem and why?
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Could you give a citation for that please? I think you are conflating an awful lot of different variables here, and often in these discussions, correlation is confused with causation.

I linked to the article above.

And of course correlation is often confused with causation in these discussions but if the shoe fits it's not a bad place to start. And I wasn't aware we had to prove things before we could discuss them.

Perhaps you just don't like the idea for your own reasons hmmnnnn?

Well, I've been working with people on psychosexual problems for over 30 years, so I have some experience. I think it does frighten me that people training to be Christian ministers or clergy might be absorbing some of the bilge that is coming from you. Hopefully, this is not the case, and there is a greater degree of psychological insight on training courses today.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quetzalcoatl: Well, I've been working with people on psychosexual problems for over 30 years, so I have some experience.
Out of interest (and without asking you to break your professional secrecy): were many of these psychosexual problems caused by casual sex encounters?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
quetzalcoatl: Well, I've been working with people on psychosexual problems for over 30 years, so I have some experience.
Out of interest (and without asking you to break your professional secrecy): were many of these psychosexual problems caused by casual sex encounters?
No, I don't think so. This is where correlation and causation get tangled up, and also where so many different factors get conflated.

For example, you find people who find intimacy very difficult, and some of them will have casual sex; but some of them will not. But you find people who are good at intimacy, and some of them will have casual sex, and some of them won't. And both these sets of people may get married, and may have successful marriages.

It's incredibly complicated. The stuff Evensong is coming out with is just embarrassing, and really makes the Christian view a laughing stock.

If you had a sexual problem, would you go to see a vicar? I sure wouldn't, if s/he is going to come out with stuff like that.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
, I've been working with people on psychosexual problems for over 30 years, so I have some experience.

So in your experience, the article I linked to is wrong about numbers of sexual partners before marriage affecting quality?

Have you conducted studies on this or are you basing your therapy on your personal understanding of casual sexual encounters?

quote:
I think it does frighten me that people training to be Christian ministers or clergy might be absorbing some of the bilge that is coming from you. Hopefully, this is not the case, and there is a greater degree of psychological insight on training courses today.

Fear not. Some of the bilge coming from psychologists frighten me too.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Evensong

Actually, I picked up your post where you said that casual sex suppresses emotion or feelings. The word 'suppress' is actually a fairly loaded one, and also quite precise, (it's different from 'repress'), so is this what you really mean?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I’m not sure you can separate the physical from the emotional. Sex causes the brain to release oxytocin, which is known to have a role in pair-bonding/creating emotional ties between people.

So does stroking a dog, but no-one would suggest there is anything wrong with getting a 'short fix' of oxytocin petting a dog which isn't going to stay with you forever.

The oxytocin triggers a 'nurturing love'. Nothing wrong with that, short or long term imo.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I think one of the problems here is that Christians tend to moralize about sex. This is fair enough.

However, if you introduce this into a kind of counselling environment, it strikes me as pernicious and actually dangerous. Any counsellor who did that should be struck off.

It also reminds me of the gay conversion therapists, who appeared to be not helping people explore their feelings about sexuality, but actually stating that gay sex is bad, is caused by childhood abuse, and other made up bollox.

So these people have now been banned by UK professional organizations, as they were doing something very dangerous.

Coming back to casual sex, the same is true. If you want to tell people, in your role as pastor or minister, that sex outside marriage, is wrong, fair enough. But if you start spouting psychological bullshit, not fair enough; this is abuse.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am always wary of appeals to authority or statistics in such discussions.

One must always be careful with applying statistical information to this individual or this couple. The stats show trends (when they exist), but applicability to a particular case are always in doubt because you do not know where on the distribution (or graph) the individual or couple lies. We also do not know if the sample seeking counselling represents any significant part of the population of people in relationships. Certainly, those seeking counselling would have some sort of trouble. Those issues may have nothing to do with the reason individuals are in counselling. "Communication" being the central issue touted as the foundation for most relationship problems.

Brief encounters would represent, at minimum, communication of a differential nature, don't you think? Less about heart to heart, and more about bacon to bacon.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leprechaun:
Enoch's point seems to be to be the right one here. Given that we all seem to be agreed that sexual encounters to involve some sort of "more than physical" connection with someone, even if all one says is true about it not affecting you, you have no idea whether that's true about the other person.

In our culture "consent" is the magic concept that is supposed to solve this problem. But it's no surprise that people consent to sex out of all sorts of unhealthy reasons - low self esteem, wanting to be liked, inhibitions lowered through alcohol and so forth. I don't think "consent" vitiates the other person's responsibility to consider the effect on the partner. Given you can't know the effect of this volatile emotional cocktail on someone you don't really know very well, is it right to risk it for your own pleasure? I think not. YMMV.

Hmm.

Am I my lover's keeper?

Perhaps I am.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So in your experience, the article I linked to is wrong about numbers of sexual partners before marriage affecting quality?

Let me just point out that even if the article is correct on that point, you're completely wrong to equate "more sexual partners" with "casual sex".

Surely you're familiar with the concept of serial monogamy, which will also get you more sexual partners.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evensong

Actually, I picked up your post where you said that casual sex suppresses emotion or feelings. The word 'suppress' is actually a fairly loaded one, and also quite precise, (it's different from 'repress'), so is this what you really mean?

Suppress meaning the conscious distancing of oneself and making a decision. Repress meaning that the suppression has become routine enough that there is no longer awareness. With probably a qualitative continuum between them, versus a categorical classification.

Evensong's link suggests a conscious comparison between the marital partner and the partners one may have had prior sex with. Suppression would seem to be the operative mechanism, though it seems an odd way to discuss it.

One wonders about sex being the goal of human connection or a part of human connection more generally.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

Let me just point out that even if the article is correct on that point, you're completely wrong to equate "more sexual partners" with "casual sex".

Surely you're familiar with the concept of serial monogamy, which will also get you more sexual partners.

There's also the point that some casual sex takes place in marriage; well, I mean that some married people go outside marriage, since they feel lonely, or dissatisfied, or whatever.

I remember Freud's enraged letters and articles about Viennese bourgeois housewives in unhappy sexless marriages, who, he said, had two choices - either to be ill, or have an affair. Of course, there were double standards as well. The man was probably bonking the house-maids, but for the woman to do this was undenkbar.

But this is just another pointer that talking about casual sex in general doesn't work; since it exists in many different situations and with different people.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
orfeo: Am I my lover's keeper?

Perhaps I am.

I find this an interesting question, and not just as a way of being adversarial on this thread.

In interactions between persons, people get hurt sometimes. This isn't just true in sex, but for all kinds of interactions. At work, in friendships, in church, on the Ship ... In all of these venues people might get hurt, even if I don't intend this.

Of course, it is my moral duty to try to prevent this. I must take all reasonable precautions. But even these aren't a guarantee. In any of these venues, the person I'm talking with might have a psychological problem I don't know about, and I could hurt this person inadvertently.

How far does my responsibility go? With some people, their psychological problems are so clearly visible, so that I might take extra precautions. But that's not the case with everyone.

When I interact with someone at work, in church, in a party ... I don't ask them to fill out a psychological questionnaire. I just interact with them, I rely on my people's knowledge, and hope for the best.

Also, to me 'consent' means respecting the other person as an adult who can take decisions. They have a free choice of whether they want to interact with me or not.

When someone indicates that she's interested in sex with me, I'm completely honest about not being interested in a relationship, and I use my people's knowledge to try to see if she's not vulnerable, has a low self-esteem or is completely drunk ... (I wouldn't be interested in having sex with any of these people anyway.) And before, during and after having sex, I respect her and I care about what she feels.

I don't think that my responsibility goes much further than that. She is an adult, and I respect that she can make a decision too.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Le Roc, thanks for your replies to my post. I see what you mean about 'casual'. Thank you. That's a very helpful definition.

When I use the word 'selfish', I suppose I mean my 'self' is at the centre of my experience. Rather than using selfish as a byword for some kind of nastiness. And maybe for some folks (married, single, monogamous, promiscuous) every sexual experience is almost entirely about their 'self'. I would say it's actually quite difficult to have any kind of sexually intimate encounter without there being some element of 'self-ishness' involved. The question perhaps then is how much of 'self' is there in the encounter, and how much of the partner's self? Maybe it doesn't even matter. The older I get, the less I know!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't think that my responsibility goes much further than that. She is an adult, and I respect that she can make a decision too.

As I said, YMMV. My perception is that sexual encounters contain much more capacity for misunderstanding, hurt, and are much more self giving type encounters than friendships or conversations on the Ship. Sexual encounters going wrong seem to me to risk much more damage than verbal ones. I might be wrong. I don't want to risk it.

Plus, my view is that a particular bond is created with someone by having a sexual relationship with them that creates a particular sort of emotional duty of care. But I can see that's not your view.

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Le Roc, thanks for your replies to my post. I see what you mean about 'casual'. Thank you. That's a very helpful definition.

When I use the word 'selfish', I suppose I mean my 'self' is at the centre of my experience. Rather than using selfish as a byword for some kind of nastiness. And maybe for some folks (married, single, monogamous, promiscuous) every sexual experience is almost entirely about their 'self'. I would say it's actually quite difficult to have any kind of sexually intimate encounter without there being some element of 'self-ishness' involved. The question perhaps then is how much of 'self' is there in the encounter, and how much of the partner's self? Maybe it doesn't even matter. The older I get, the less I know!

If you want to get mystical about it, there could be a non-dual experience in sex, in which self and self fuse, not just in bodies, but also in mind and spirit. Hence the description 'the little death' for orgasm, or to get Zen about it, no-mind.

Could this happen in casual sex? Yes.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Anselmina: And maybe for some folks (married, single, monogamous, promiscuous) every sexual experience is almost entirely about their 'self'. I would say it's actually quite difficult to have any kind of sexually intimate encounter without there being some element of 'self-ishness' involved.
I agree, and this isn't only true about sex. When I'm having dinner with someone, this is pleasurable for me and I hope (and I try) that this is also true for the other person. So, I guess you could say that there is a part of selfishness involved here. But I agree that this isn't necessarily a bad thing. After all, didn't Jesus say "Love your neighbour like yourself"?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Leprechaun: Plus, my view is that a particular bond is created with someone by having a sexual relationship with them that creates a particular sort of emotional duty of care. But I can see that's not your view.
It depends. If both partners have agreed that this is a casual thing, then I feel that the responsibility for emotional care is limited. I guess this is part of the deal: in a way, each person affirms that he/she can take care of it emotionally by him/herself. So in a way, they have released eachother from this duty.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you want to get mystical about it, ...

I don't think I'll live long enough to even begin to want to get mystical about sex!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:

I don't think I'll live long enough to even begin to want to get mystical about sex!
Well, I think the point is that the little death just is mystical, well, not always. It shuts off big chunks of the brain, so you stop.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
Good point about the double standard, a loathsome holdover from patriarchy and women-as-property.

I just wanted to come back to this, as it's interesting.

Patriarchy is blamed for lots of things, but ISTM that the numerical dominance of women in church, and especially a fairly traditional and nurturing kind of woman, works against churches becoming an affirming space for promiscuity. (Some women are happy with it, of course, but tolerance levels seem to be lower for most women. For good evolutionary reasons, I should think.)

There may be mileage in church plants that aim to attract single young men by promoting the theological virtues of sexual variety! But who would they then have sex with? A number of the Christians on this thread have said that promiscuity can be okay, but do they recommend going through the members of one's congregation for this purpose, or is it something that's best kept well away from church?

[ 28. October 2014, 16:59: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
SvitlanaV2: A number of the Christians on this thread have said that promiscuity can be okay, but do they recommend going through the members of one's congregation for this purpose, or is it something that's best kept well away from church?
I don't 'go through' any group for this purpose. I think I've had sex with someone I'd met in church twice in my life.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So church isn't terribly fruitful from this perspective. Do you have any idea why not?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
So church isn't terribly fruitful from this perspective. Do you have any idea why not?

Most Christian churches lean the opposite direction.
Church is a community and communities talk.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Have you read the actual report?

It says that 42% of the people who had not lived with a romantic partner other than their future spouses reported having a high-quality marriage, while 35% of the people who had lived with another romantic partner before marriage report having a high quality marriage. That doesn't seem very conclusive to me, given that they were following 1000 people, only 418 of whom got married in the course of the five-year study. They're talking about a lot of very new marriages. Moreover, they adjusted these figures for race/ethnicity, education, income, and "religiousness," which seems kind of crazy to me, especially given how much income influences some people's choices to move in with romantic partners. I know they did it just to highlight the factors they were interested in investigating, but it seems to me that this obscures as much as it reveals.

To keep going, they don't say how many people lived only with their spouses and how many lived with other people. But let's say for the sake of argument that it was a 50/50 split, in which case out of one half, 209 people, 42% were in high-quality marriages: 88 people. The math on the other half yields up 73 people in high-quality marriages. There is no way in the world I'd draw any kind of conclusion about whether it's a good idea to move in with someone based on a study of a really small number of young marriages.

The percentages are almost the same for people who got together with their eventual spouses through hook-ups vs. those who didn't: 36% for the hook-ups, 42% for the non-hook-up get-togethers. For this, we have actual numbers, too. 32% of the 418 marriages began as hook-ups -- that's 134 marriages that did vs. 284 that did not, all young marriages under five years long.

Most notable to me is that doing most the stuff they tell you to do doesn't in the terms of their study boost your chances of having a high-quality marriage above the 50% rate. If they identified factors that gave people a better than even chance at having a good marriage, then I'd be a lot more interested.

The study is worth looking at, and it makes a useful contribution. But you can't just link to an article about a report on a study and say, "See, it's all right here."

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I should admit that I'm fairly conservative on these matters (at least by the standards of this thread), but my general view, stemming from my Nonconformist background, is that if there are 1000s of denominations, catering to all forms of theological minutiae, there should be one or more that provide the kind of perspective that you're talking about here. In this sense, we can't really talk about a single 'church'.

The problem, however, is often that some of the biggest, and hence the most visible ones have to twist and manoeuvre in order to engage with the conflicting perspectives of all their committed members and their uncommitted or potential members. This is an impossible task, but it's their very size and reach that creates the hopeless level of expectation that surrounds them.

Meanwhile, in a secular age no one pays much attention to the 'exotic' smaller churches, some of which might well be offering the straightforwardly 'pragmatic, realistic advice' that you're talking about.

Maybe the Scandinavian Lutheran churches have a solution in that they're able to commit more fully to a 'pragmatic' agenda because they are paid for by the state, and hence don't have to worry about losing the patronage of a conservative membership. [...]

Yeah, the Nordic state churches are interesting, as they actually are state churches, unlike, say, the Church of England, which is disestablished in all but name.

I agree about the problems inherent to a broad church. There's two models: suffocating uniformity, or disagreement and competition. I go for the marketplace, every time.

I'm undoubtedly generalizing here, but I see the same pattern repeating across denominations, from mainline protestant to the Catholic Church: legalistic teaching mostly ignored in practice, resting on a bunch of received assumptions, with no attempt to question why we think that, and whether it should change.
quote:
quote:
Good point about the double standard, a loathsome holdover from patriarchy and women-as-property.

I just wanted to come back to this, as it's interesting.

Patriarchy is blamed for lots of things, but ISTM that the numerical dominance of women in church, and especially a fairly traditional and nurturing kind of woman, works against churches becoming an affirming space for promiscuity. (Some women are happy with it, of course, but tolerance levels seem to be lower for most women. For good evolutionary reasons, I should think.)

There may be mileage in church plants that aim to attract single young men by promoting the theological virtues of sexual variety! But who would they then have sex with? A number of the Christians on this thread have said that promiscuity can be okay, but do they recommend going through the members of one's congregation for this purpose, or is it something that's best kept well away from church?

Promiscuity is too often tied to predatory behavior from horny young men. "Going through" is exactly what can happen, instead of a mutual and enjoyable tumble.

I don't want churches to affirm a particular form of sexuality (swinging for the win?) so much as I want 'em to ditch legalism, and affirm transferable values like mutuality, respect, and consent. Have 'em lay off the guilt already.

Right now, we've got the worst of all worlds, with platitudes and endemic hypocrisy, and minorities scapegoated to cover for the inability of the majority to keep it zipped.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I’m not sure you can separate the physical from the emotional. Sex causes the brain to release oxytocin, which is known to have a role in pair-bonding/creating emotional ties between people. Maybe its effects are stronger for some people than for others?

Like orfeo, I get a big high out of playing music. But my brain isn’t being flooded with hormones to pair-bond me with my fellow musicians.

I thought the pair bonding happened with the audience. Is that only rock music and not classical music since the death of Liszt?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
SvitlanaV2: So church isn't terribly fruitful from this perspective. Do you have any idea why not?
Probably the low number of single women of around my age.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Coming back to casual sex, the same is true. If you want to tell people, in your role as pastor or minister, that sex outside marriage, is wrong, fair enough. But if you start spouting psychological bullshit, not fair enough; this is abuse.

I agree. As a priest, I am qualified to advise a penitent regarding what sins he is committing and what he might do to make reparations for them and endeavor not to commit them again. I can also grant absolution if it seems to me the penitent is sincere in his repentance.

But I'm not a therapist, and I'm not qualified to diagnose or to advise regarding mental health. If it seems to me that someone might benefit from seeing a therapist, I encourage him to do so--but the role of clergyman is very different from the role of therapist, and even those who are qualified in both fields sometimes forget that.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:

I don't want churches to affirm a particular form of sexuality (swinging for the win?) so much as I want 'em to ditch legalism, and affirm transferable values like mutuality, respect, and consent. Have 'em lay off the guilt already.

Right now, we've got the worst of all worlds, with platitudes and endemic hypocrisy, and minorities scapegoated to cover for the inability of the majority to keep it zipped.

I do feel, though, that we tend to get the churches we deserve: if a significant number of people wanted churches that offered all of this then presumably they'd create such churches, and they'd be churches that we've heard of, not quirky sects! The Nonconformist in me doesn't see it as the job of the clergy to 'do' church on our behalf, while we complain that they're not doing it properly!

The 18th c. had its liberal antinomians, and polygamy-promoting vicars, but you probably wouldn't get that much of that in modern Britain. The mainstream is a lot more boring than it used to be! Things may be different elsewhere, though. Today I read about Aretha Franklin's forthcoming biography. Apparently her childhood church was a hotbed of openly practiced 'swinging'. It looks as though the congregation largely approved of this, although her family and church seriously failed to protect her as they should; it wasn't an environment for children.

Other churches in more secular environments (e.g. in the UK) would be far more cautious, to put it mildly. A few people will write a few daring books, and there'll be a degree of leeway, but church leaders can't risk driving away too many traditionalist old ladies, etc. because they're the ones who put in the most money and time. The church above could obviously rely on far broader support from a less straight-laced contingency.

Controversial it may be, but perhaps cultures that have a Christian heritage are inevitably inclined to hypocrisy, since, regardless of one's theology, the standards modelled and advised by Christianity's founder are so high. Non-religious (straight) people don't want to be made to feel guilty, but neither do they seem to be crying out for the CofE, for example, to sanction and affirm their sexual behaviour with any 'transferable values'. I don't know where you live, so perhaps things are different there.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Have you read the actual report?
Like RuthW says, too limited in scope.
They note objections to their premises. The size of the study magnifies these objections.
It is an incredibly limited study, when all is factored in. Far from conclusive.

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last I checked we were all skint/broke.

Except that lot.

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Is masturbation in your list of activities that can't be done without psychological consequences?

I've read one too many Savage love articles about guys who get so used to masturbating to porn in a certain way that they have trouble reaching orgasm with a partner to say that it has no consequences.

Whether those consequences are less bad than the consequences of sexual frustration probably depends on the individual and the case.

If that is what you got out of reading Dan Savage, you certainly missed the point of his articles. He's advocating masturbating in certain ways to improve future sexual orgasm. See also his comments on butt plugs for straight guys.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
orfeo: Am I my lover's keeper?

Perhaps I am.

I find this an interesting question, and not just as a way of being adversarial on this thread.

Yes, I too find it interesting, which is I why quoted Leprechaun's post and commented in that particular way.

I have some sympathy for Leprechaun's views here, and find they have a great deal more food for thought in them than a knee-jerk "sex is special" response. However, I also have some agreement with something you've said a couple of times now about expectation.

My own experience, such as it is, is that a couple of sexual experiences I've had where both parties were clear it was casual were a great deal more enjoyable than a couple of sexual experiences I've had where it turned out to be casual and I'd thought it meant more than that. What caused a bit of distress was not the actual sex but the expectation around it.

This is in the early days of me coming out, so I was learning a lot (and I was also behaving with a "OMG I'm finally allowed to have sex" kind of enthusiasm) and I most definitely had some experiences that were A Bad Idea. Part of what I learnt is that I tend to romanticise... I'm going to import Myers Briggs here [Razz] and note that my preferences are INFJ, which among other things means I'm very keen to ascribe meaning to things and to have meaningful experiences. So in my head I was trying to maximise how meaningful the sex was.

And, as I said, a couple of times when I, as a result of clear communication, was in a position where I didn't ascribe great meaning to the sexual encounter, and regarded it as an enjoyable shared experience with a person whose company I liked and who shared my sexual interests, it actually went a lot better and didn't leave any kind of psychological scars.

I think perhaps what I'm saying is that part of the reason why sex is so special and unique and all of that is because we keep treating it that way, not because there is some kind of objective demonstration that sex has unique biophysical and biochemical properties that make it unlike any other activity we carry out. It's deeply meaningful because we go into it thinking "this is deeply meaningful". If we go into it thinking "this is a pleasurable shared experience", then we come out of it (if it works right) thinking "that was a pleasurable shared experience".

And from that, I'd agree with you that it's better by far if the people involved in any particular sexual encounter go into it with shared or similar views about that encounter. But it of course doesn't follow from that that we must treat every sexual encounter we enter into in exactly the same fashion.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

The study is worth looking at, and it makes a useful contribution. But you can't just link to an article about a report on a study and say, "See, it's all right here."

But I didn't say that. I said there was some research on the idea that says promiscuity is bad for quality of marriage.

I then responded to tomsk's idea about intimacy and that it makes sense in the context of this idea.

There's a bit more research on this idea here.

quote:
The science of Slutology is still in its infant stages and Paik acknowledges that there have been very few studies done. He lists the previous work in the area and some of the mentioned papers have been presented on this blog previously.

Only four nationally representative studies have examined whether premarital sexual experiences are linked to divorce (Heaton, 2002; Kahn & London, 1991; Laumann et al., 1994; Teachman, 2003).

Nevertheless, the core finding—the association between premarital sex and increased risks of divorce—is robust[Ed]. Teachman (2003) found that women who had sex only with their future husbands did not have higher risks of marital dissolution, which suggests that the premarital-sex effect on divorce is related primarily to having sex with multiple partners

The blog is a bit weird as it seems to focus rather a lot on women.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slutology? [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

The comparison toward the end of that blog entry of feminists and leftists to tobacco company lawyers doesn't exactly make it a trustworthy source.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Yeah. It's weird. But it does pull up some studies.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I'm glad that they said that premarital sex is linked with later divorce, and didn't say that it causes it.

This is the complexity of these associations. Undoubtedly, there are people who have problems with intimacy, and some of them have casual sex, as a way to avoid intimacy. However, you can't then say that the casual sex causes lack of intimacy.

And there are also people who don't have problems with intimacy, who have casual sex.

This is a bit like the famous 'chocolate makes you live longer', derived from 'people who eat chocolate live longer', an improper derivation.

There is also the important point that if you are working professionally with someone who finds intimacy difficult, and has casual sex, you have to be very sure-footed and sensitive. Saying that casual sex is going to mess them up is not wise.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Remember folks, 'virgin brides are the safest bet of all', (from the above link). Who's betting?

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

@orfeo: I mostly agree with your post. I'm just not sure if casual sex can't be 'unique and special' for the people involved.

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some thoughtful and thought-provoking stuff here.

I think I'm with Leprechaun. I'm pretty set against using people. It's a form of selfishness. And consent can be manipulated without recourse to anything illegal.

But the "sex is special" argument strikes me as more than a bit weird. Having sexual desire is just a normal part of what it means to be human. How we manage that says something about how we balance desire and responsibility. From that point of view, handling sexual desire falls into pretty much the general category of handling desire.

Too many people learn the Sheryl Crowe truth the hard way.

"If it makes you happy
It can't be that bad
But if it makes you happy
Why the Hell do you look so sad"

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Remember folks, 'virgin brides are the safest bet of all', (from the above link). Who's betting?

I'd place a hefty bet if the groom is a virgin too.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

Ah well. I'm ruined for my husband. I am a fallen woman.

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Plus, my view is that a particular bond is created with someone by having a sexual relationship with them that creates a particular sort of emotional duty of care.

Can you expand on this a bit. What sort of bond? How do we know it's there? Does it happen for everyone?

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well, I think the point is that the little death just is mystical, well, not always. It shuts off big chunks of the brain, so you stop.
What does mystical mean?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:
Plus, my view is that a particular bond is created with someone by having a sexual relationship with them that creates a particular sort of emotional duty of care.

Can you expand on this a bit. What sort of bond? How do we know it's there? Does it happen for everyone?

I have no idea if it happens for everyone. I can only speak for my own experience and the experiences of friends and people I have worked with who have felt that. Plus the many references in pop culture etc. I remember in that (rather crap) film Vanilla Sky a character says "When you sleep with someone your body makes a promise." I think I concur with that.

I guess the thing about sex is that it is the physically most self exposing thing you can do. The biology itself is that you take the most private parts of your body and put them together. If people say they are able to do that "just for fun" I'm not going to say that's untrue - I just don't think you can guarantee that for the other person. Why risk hurting them at their most exposed?

Of course, I can't really agree with the premise of the OP because my theological views bleed into this here. Of course they do. Feel free to write off what I have said as an ex post facto justification of previously held dogmas. [Smile]

[ 29. October 2014, 10:21: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I don't think there's anything wrong with theological views on sex, casual sex, marriage, or whatever.

What is interesting is that the last 100 years, or probably more, have seen an increasingly secular approach to sexual problems.

In a way, this has involved a separation from moral issues; I suppose many Christians will decry this, yet for me, it is essential in helping people with their problems. If I start off by saying that casual sex is wrong, I have failed my client.

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:

I have no idea if it happens for everyone. I can only speak for my own experience and the experiences of friends and people I have worked with who have felt that.
Fair enough.

quote:
Plus the many references in pop culture etc. I remember in that (rather crap) film Vanilla Sky a character says "When you sleep with someone your body makes a promise." I think I concur with that.

Well.....yes but that's fiction

quote:
I guess the thing about sex is that it is the physically most self exposing thing you can do. The biology itself is that you take the most private parts of your body and put them together. If people say they are able to do that "just for fun" I'm not going to say that's untrue - I just don't think you can guarantee that for the other person. Why risk hurting them at their most exposed?

You talk to the other person first.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong: Surely the clue to the rebuttal in the blog you link to above is in the title of the site:
"The Social Pathologist
The Diseases of Modern Life as seen through the Secular Confessional"

The use of the word 'slut' is in itself illuminating since this is a word for which there is no male equivalent.

Do number of partners matter? Yes, if one partner feels they are being compared (probably unfavourably) to previous lovers; no if the subject doesn't come up.

I'm still puzzled at the use of the term "high-quality marriage" - just what is that all about? I'm not sure many (any?) married couples would admit to being in a "low-quality marriage". Its all very subjective.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

An addition to my post above: it seems to be about judgment. I have got used to not judging people, in relation to their sexual activities. Some religious people do tend to judge, in moral terms, but the treatment of sexual problems has had to move away from this; otherwise, it starts off on the wrong foot, and reinforces a probably existing guilt and shame.

--------------------

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

quote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with theological views on sex, casual sex, marriage, or whatever.

What is interesting is that the last 100 years, or probably more, have seen an increasingly secular approach to sexual problems.

In a way, this has involved a separation from moral issues; I suppose many Christians will decry this, yet for me, it is essential in helping people with their problems. If I start off by saying that casual sex is wrong, I have failed my client.

Indeed. After all, they're not paying you for your theology.

While Christians can and do work for the common good, I have problems with the idea that 'the church' is meant to influence the morals of believers and unbelievers alike. Why should non-believers be compelled to behave as though they were Christians? The logical outcome of this idea is that Christianity as a living faith is irrelevant, and only respectable behaviour matters. This is okay for a pluralistic society, at least in the short term, but previous generations of evangelists realised that it didn't serve the advancement of the gospel.

I say 'in the short term' because, of course, we've now reached the point where secular ideas are entering the church rather than church ideas entering the secular state. Hence the teaching that casual sex is okay for Christians (as well as for everyone else).

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016