homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: IS have turned me into a hawk (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: IS have turned me into a hawk
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my previous appointment there were a lot of asylum seekers. One of them told me that she thought the west should recolonise Africa...

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
In my previous appointment there were a lot of asylum seekers. One of them told me that she thought the west should recolonise Africa...

How many was that? One. One person desperate to get out of Africa.

That's hardly a reliable source.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Well, accepting that it was only one person, I look at the fact that she is an asylum seeker due to her party political activity in the country she came from, and wonder who's opinion you would accept? The ruling dictatorship that violently forced her out of her country?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Well, accepting that it was only one person, I look at the fact that she is an asylum seeker due to her party political activity in the country she came from, and wonder who's opinion you would accept? The ruling dictatorship that violently forced her out of her country?
Heck no, there are many violent, arbitrary, undemocratic and corrupt regimes in Africa, but I don't accept that recolonisation would solve problems either, as violence, arbitrariness and corruption was then rife, democracy was entirely absent and Africa wasn't run for the benefit of any Africans.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

And just to be clear, I don't believe that we should recolonise either. (tangent, the asylum seeker was in a country ruled by the Germans, btw)

It was interesting though just to hear it - I was very surprised, to be honest.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saudi Vs. IS beheadings

The writer says that Saudi Arabia has carried out twice as many beheadings since Janurary as ISIS has carried out executions of westerners. But I would like to know what crimes exactly the Saudis were punishing. If most of them were murders(and I don't know), I don't think it's quite the same level of moral atrocity as executing an aid-worker.

That said, it does remain the case that interventing in the mideast these days basically boils down to forming alliances with thugs, against other thugs.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there may also be methodological differences.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you mean methodological differences in the way the behadings are tallied?

If so, I'd agree that could be a factor in the higher Saudi ranking, since an organized government like that will likely have more complete records, whereas a slapdash outfit like ISIS might keep a lot of its killings off the books.

[ 18. October 2014, 19:20: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I mean how they are carried out, I have deliberately avoided watching any videos, but I have previously read descriptions in news media.

I understand the Saudis use a trained swordsman who will strike off the head of a kneeling victim with one or two blows, whereas paramilitaries are frequently basically trying to hold someone still enough to saw off their head with a combat knife or hit their neck repeatedly with a machete.

I understand foreign low paid workers are far more likely to get sentenced to death in Saudi, than Saudi citizens. Rather like the black white difference in the US.

[ 18. October 2014, 19:52: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:

I understand foreign low paid workers are far more likely to get sentenced to death in Saudi, than Saudi citizens. Rather like the black white difference in the US.

Additionally, certain crimes show a suspiciously high clear up rate - with a guilty verdict following a confession under questioning. Torture has been frequently suspected.

There are a number of crimes - other than murder - for which a death penalty is used - including sorcery and adultery (though in the past this has been punished by stoning rather than beheading).

The death penalty in other parts of Saudi Arabia are not always carried out by professional executioners, in the past families of the victims have chosen to execute the perpetrators themselves.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amnesty International on the death penalty - even including China, where the figures are a state secret and more people are put to death than the rest of the world put together, Saudi Arabia is one of top 5 countries for the number of people they sentence to death. Drug dealing, adultery and murder are amongst their capital crimes.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016