homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Who knows best - the state or the parents? (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Who knows best - the state or the parents?
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, that "consent" terminology has been used consistently right from when the story broke, and is still being used by Southampton General about what happened when he was first removed.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The legal situation in the UK seems to be similar to that of other European countries. The child is in Spain where he and his family were living until they came to England following the diagnosis. If no agreement is reached on Monday the doctors in Malaga will decide Ashya's treatment. In that case the parents would need the Spanish hospital's consent to remove him.

[ 05. September 2014, 15:58: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firstly, I was not asserting anything, but passing on a news item which I had read which was reporting on responsibilities of schools and local authorities, regarding children who disappear out of the school system.

But sorry to be unclear – state schools in England (I won’t answer for the other UK countries, as systems vary a bit) do not stand alone they are answerable to a local education authority (which is a part of the local government authority that deals will all local services) and then to the department of education.

It’s slightly complicated with the advent of academies and free schools (it would take somebody in the system at the moment to explain properly) but the end of the day the school is responsible to the authority up the chain. Who is answerable to the central government department of Education– these are what I meant by the authorities, shorthand for the higher up part of the chain that the school has to answer to. But basically a part of the same system.

You can of course report directly to the Local education department, about your child’s school movements (and in the case of home schooling you may have to) but most parents deal straight with their schools – and the school passes on the necessary information. But the education department will demand to know the details of your child’s schooling and what your intentions are and if they are not satisfied will take you to court.

I was, as I said, reporting something I had seen, I was not making any assertions myself. So if you don’t agree with what I said argue with the BBC. This was a news item saying that schools as the ones at the sharp end of the system the schools were to be vigilant and pass up the chain information about any unexpected non returning children.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Consent might be a legal requirement in Spain. I still can't see that it was in the UK. The charges brought against the parents, for the purpose of the arrest warrant, were based on the concept of neglect. As far as I can see they weren't based on the concept of abduction - of unlawful removal from a location.

I've seen one Daily Mail article having lawyers explicitly state this: that it was quite impossible for the parents to be guilty of abducting their own child, because they had lawful custody of the child. I don't necessarily trust the Daily Mail as an unbiased source of solid legal information, so it would be nice to find some other source. But as yet I've still not seen anything that shows that Southampton hospital had a legal right as against Ashya's parents to have its consent obtained.

The legal situation would be entirely different if we were talking about abduction by a stranger, because the entire point is that a stranger would lack the legal authority. But no-one has yet given me anything remotely convincing to back the assertion that while Ashya's parents had authority to put him in the hospital, they'd somehow lost the authority to take him out at the time that they did so.

They've since lost that authority in the UK. That was one of the results of the court order. But the very fact that a court order was necessary to achieve that result rather suggests that the legal situation was different before the court order!

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
Firstly, I was not asserting anything, but passing on a news item which I had read which was reporting on responsibilities of schools and local authorities, regarding children who disappear out of the school system.

But sorry to be unclear – state schools in England (I won’t answer for the other UK countries, as systems vary a bit) do not stand alone they are answerable to a local education authority (which is a part of the local government authority that deals will all local services) and then to the department of education.

It’s slightly complicated with the advent of academies and free schools (it would take somebody in the system at the moment to explain properly) but the end of the day the school is responsible to the authority up the chain. Who is answerable to the central government department of Education– these are what I meant by the authorities, shorthand for the higher up part of the chain that the school has to answer to. But basically a part of the same system.

You can of course report directly to the Local education department, about your child’s school movements (and in the case of home schooling you may have to) but most parents deal straight with their schools – and the school passes on the necessary information. But the education department will demand to know the details of your child’s schooling and what your intentions are and if they are not satisfied will take you to court.

I was, as I said, reporting something I had seen, I was not making any assertions myself. So if you don’t agree with what I said argue with the BBC. This was a news item saying that schools as the ones at the sharp end of the system the schools were to be vigilant and pass up the chain information about any unexpected non returning children.

You did make an assertion. You made an assertion that the formal arrangements with the new school had to be in place.

I haven't disagreed with anything that you related about what the BBC had reported in terms of schools being required to check up on things. The only thing I've disagreed with is the extra piece of interpretation you added to it. Or did the BBC report include the bit saying "you have to have a formal arrangement with the new school"?

I strongly suspect it didn't. I strongly suspect that "the relationship has to be formaly with a new one in place first that is the point" are your own words. For one thing, that's at the start of your post and you start talking about the BBC report 3 paragraphs further down. I've entirely agreed with and accepted everything that appears in your post from that point onwards.

[ 05. September 2014, 16:21: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
the very fact that a court order was necessary to achieve that result rather suggests that the legal situation was different before the court order!

It is precisely because the term consent (on the part of the hospital) has been used from the outset that I'm concerned. It illustrates a mindset that very possibly extends beyond the actual legal situation - if so, it tips the balance unlawfully in favour of the authorities.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You do all realise it would have been cheaper and easier for the NHS to promote the family going private in another country ?

There is absolutely no gain, financial or otherwise, for the NHS in insisting on keeping and treating the child. They acted out of genuine concern, else why bother - it is not like there are not others waiting for treatment or the professionals involved are somehow rewarded for hanging in there.

The hospital's own statement points out the battery charger was left on the ward, the parents had no training on the maintainance of the nasogastric tube, and the child was at risk of infection.

The child was at risk whilst he was traveling. In a proper transfer he would probably have travelled by ambulance with suction available.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
the very fact that a court order was necessary to achieve that result rather suggests that the legal situation was different before the court order!

It is precisely because the term consent (on the part of the hospital) has been used from the outset that I'm concerned. It illustrates a mindset that very possibly extends beyond the actual legal situation - if so, it tips the balance unlawfully in favour of the authorities.
The term 'consent' may be a way of referring to the usual process of discharge from hospital which requires medical staff to assess the patient's suitability for discharge and provide a 'discharge letter' which will be copied to the patient's GP. If doctors decide a patient is not fit for discharge but the patient insists on leaving then they are asked to sign a form to the effect that they are leaving against medical advice.

In the case of a very sick child who was openly being taken away without having been discharged the hospital would be able to take immediate action to prevent the child's removal. They could contact police who have power to prevent a child being removed from hospital:

quote:
Under section 46 of the Children Act 1989, where a police officer has reasonable cause to believe that a child would otherwise be likely to suffer significant harm, s/he may:

remove the child to suitable accommodation and keep him or her there; or
take reasonable steps to ensure that the child’s removal from any hospital, or other place in which the child is then being accommodated is prevented.

child protection powers

In the circumstances if Ashya had been openly removed, even with the provision for feeding etc that his parents had made then it is highly likely the police would have been asked to intervene.

orfeo

# 13878

The police. Not the hospital.

See, half the reason I go on about precision with powers is that there's a difference. Somewhere, pages ago, you'll find a reference from me to the idea that hospital staff are not police.

Okay, so they can call police. We all can. THAT DOESNT MEAN THAT WHEN WE CALL POLICE, THEY JUST DO WHAT WE TELL THEM TO DO.

It's the paternalistic, doctors are gods, everyone has to do what the doctor tells them to do mindset that helped create this mess. Not only are the parents not obliged to follow orders delivered by doctors, the police aren't obliged to follow orders delivered by doctors either.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

latest news

The court has decided Ashya can be taken to Prague for treatment. The wardship order will be removed when he is admitted to the Prague hospital.

orfeo

# 13878

You might also find it instructive to read all the conditions and qualifications on that page, and more importantly in the legislation that it links to. Starting with the clear statements about informing the parents, that the police officer doesn't gain parental responsibility, and indeed the general lack of powers of the hospital itself.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
latest news

The court has decided Ashya can be taken to Prague for treatment. The wardship order will be removed when he is admitted to the Prague hospital.

What? But that's what the dangerous suspected criminals wanted!

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You might also find it instructive to read all the conditions and qualifications on that page, and more importantly in the legislation that it links to. Starting with the clear statements about informing the parents, that the police officer doesn't gain parental responsibility, and indeed the general lack of powers of the hospital itself.

quote:
quote:
latest news

All of which goes to prove the point others have been trying to make all along: that there was no grand conspiracy here to deprive the parents of their rights, no jackbooted government overlords. Just good people on both sides trying to do what's best for a small, sick boy, complicated most likely by poor communication on both sides due to stress, arrogance, or mistaken assumptions. All happening within some very carefully balanced legal confines which balance the interests of all involved. The result is often messy, as was the case here, but again, hardly the slippery slope to 1984.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
latest news

And it is possible that their actions delayed the treatment.

According to The Guardian, the hospital did apply for NHS funding for Ashya to get Proton Beam Therapy but it was turned down; as most of his brain has to be irradiated, there is no benefit in something that can be precisely targeted.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I rather think that what it proves is that the parents weren't nuts for raising proton therapy as a treatment option in the first place. A few days ago the hospital was making public pronouncements about why there was no point to proton therapy.

Or have we forgotten that part?

[ 06. September 2014, 00:02: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:

I think you need to read the page carefully.

quote:
In such circumstances, the police should inform the child (if he or she appears competent to understand) and take such steps as are reasonably practicable to ascertain the child’s wishes and feelings.

Nothing on this page about informing parents.

quote:

An emergency protection order gives authority to remove a child, and places the child under the protection of the applicant.

duties and powers of the police under the Children Act 1989

This page has a detailed section on keeping the child informed and ascertaining the child's wishes and feelings. There is a brief section on informing the parents and other adults. No that the thing on either page suggests a 'general lack of powers' of the hospital.

Parental Responsibility
quote:
43. If a constable removes a child under section 46 emergency powers, the child is deemed to be under police protection but neither the Designated Officer nor the Initiating Officer has parental responsibility for the child (see section 46(9)). However, the Designated Officer is responsible for doing what in all the circumstances of the case is reasonable to safeguard or promote the child's welfare, having regard in particular to the length of the period during which the child will be under police protection. In practical terms, this may mean just the provision of food and shelter etc. In an emergency medical situation, the doctor would act in the patient's best interest without express consent, as technically the officer would be unable to consent on the child's behalf. Other non-urgent areas that a person with parental responsibility has to decide upon (bearing in mind the limited time-span of police protection) fall outside the officer's responsibility.

The child protection laws would have prevented Ashya's parents from effecting his removal from hospital without the agreement of medical staff. Doctors do not need to give orders or instructions to the police - the police have all the authority they need to take action, including arresting parents. It's highly unlikely in the case of a sick child that the police would have done anything other than prevent his removal from hospital.

What the parents wanted was to have the wardship order removed and to take Ashya to Prague. However, the court has agreed to his transfer to Prague as a ward of court and the wardship will be ended only when he is admitted to the hospital. The Prague hospital will no doubt have its own child protection policy.

[ 06. September 2014, 00:08: Message edited by: justlooking ]

orfeo

# 13878

And in fact the Guardian article confirms that the doctors in Southampton are still against the treatment.

Oh my goodness. What a dreadful judgement. Won't somebody listen to the doctors??

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

I said read the Act. Did you read the Act, or are you still relying on a summary supplied by someone else?

"This page" is not the law of the land. "This page", though, HAS LINKS to the law of the land. Instead of quoting me a paraphrase of section 46, how about you actually read section 46?

[ 06. September 2014, 00:07: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Oh look, I'll even set a couple of choice bits for you.

quote:
(4)As soon as is reasonably practicable after taking a child into police protection, the constable concerned shall take such steps as are reasonably practicable to inform—

(a)the child’s parents;

(b)every person who is not a parent of his but who has parental responsibility for him; and

(c)any other person with whom the child was living immediately before being taken into police protection,

of the steps that he has taken under this section with respect to the child, the reasons for taking them and the further steps that may be taken with respect to him under this section.

(9)While a child is being kept in police protection—

(a)neither the constable concerned nor the designated officer shall have parental responsibility for him; but

(b)the designated officer shall do what is reasonable in all the circumstances of the case for the purpose of safeguarding or promoting the child’s welfare (having regard in particular to the length of the period during which the child will be so protected).

(10)Where a child has been taken into police protection, the designated officer shall allow—

(a)the child’s parents;

(b)any person who is not a parent of the child but who has parental responsibility for him;

(c)any person with whom the child was living immediately before he was taken into police protection;

(d)any person in whose favour a contact order is in force with respect to the child;

(e)any person who is allowed to have contact with the child by virtue of an order under section 34; and

(f)any person acting on behalf of any of those persons,

to have such contact (if any) with the child as, in the opinion of the designated officer, is both reasonable and in the child’s best interests.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I rather think that what it proves is that the parents weren't nuts for raising proton therapy as a treatment option in the first place. A few days ago the hospital was making public pronouncements about why there was no point to proton therapy.

No, haven't forgotten-- but it doesn't change my point, nor does it prove the point you appear to be trying to make.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

quote:
quote:

I said read the Act. Did you read the Act, or are you still relying on a summary supplied by someone else?

"This page" is not the law of the land. "This page", though, HAS LINKS to the law of the land. Instead of quoting me a paraphrase of section 46, how about you actually read section 46?

This is the Act - Section 46 from which the information from the police guidance notes is taken. You read it. It shows clearly that the law of the land aims to protect children, if it is necessary, from the actions of their parents.
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:

This is the Act - Section 46 from which the information from the police guidance notes is taken. You read it. It shows clearly that the law of the land aims to protect children, if it is necessary, from the actions of their parents.
I didn't say otherwise. I said that it required informing the parents, and that it didn't take away parental responsibility from the parents. I also told YOU to read it when you said "nothing there about informing the parents", so it really isn't necessary to provide me a link. I've already read it, before you.

It also has nothing to do with issuing arrest warrants. It's amazing how much time people spend on every other issue other than the one I've actually expressed concern about. That piece of legislation explicitly encourages contact between parent and child, not hauling parents away.

[ 06. September 2014, 00:26: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:

No, haven't forgotten-- but it doesn't change my point, nor does it prove the point you appear to be trying to make.
So, the parents WERE nuts for raising proton therapy as a treatment?

What does that make the judge for agreeing to it, over the Southampton doctors' continued objections?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Oh, and justlooking, in response to you I should comment on the bold highlighting of "in an emergency medical situation" as some kind of response to me referring to the hospital's "general lack of powers".

Can you not see you are agreeing with me? If I say GENERAL, how is pointing to one, specific situation where the hospital empowered to act a counterargument? Did you not process what I said before about parental control being the default position, WITH SPECIFIC CARVE-OUTS?

I didn't say "in an emergency medical situation", everyone just has to sit back and watch the child die. It's well established that "in an emergency medical situation", the normal rules about consent don't apply. A hospital doesn't have to wait for an unconscious adult patient to wake up and ask "would you like us to save you?".

In other words, there's no question in any circumstance that medical staff are allowed to act in an emergency medical situation. It's got nothing to do with whether there's a police guard or a court order, it's got everything to do with an emergency meaning there's no time to lose.

So, that's emergencies covered then. Meanwhile, there's a boy sitting in a hospital bed in Spain, and still none of the medical people looking after him seem terribly perturbed that he won't get to Prague until Monday and that he hasn't had any chemotherapy or radiotherapy in the last week. So why are you even referring to emergencies?

If the police had been called, a police officer would have been authorised to decide for himself that he needed to ensure the child wasn't taken away. This would not have meant arresting the parents (although it might if they caused enough trouble). This would not take control of medical decisions away from the parents. And it would not, in any way have authorised the hospital to start their preferred treatment over the objection of the parents.

[ 06. September 2014, 00:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:
quote:

So, the parents WERE nuts for raising proton therapy as a treatment?

What does that make the judge for agreeing to it, over the Southampton doctors' continued objections?

I don't believe anyone here has argued that the parents were nuts.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Just criminally dangerous, then.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:

I haven't seen anyone argue that either.

Foolish perhaps. Poor communicators, possibly (as several have suggested) due to the stress of having a sick child. Those two unfortunate things led to an unfortunate string of events, as happens sometimes even when everyone has the best of intentions. But fortunately it seems there was a good process in place-- one that supports both the hospital's concerns & those of the parents, and was able to sort thru all the messiness and misunderstandings to end with what is hopefully a good decision in terms of the best interest of the child.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:

I haven't seen anyone argue that either.

Anyone who has argued an arrest warrant was a good idea has argued exactly that. Either that, or they have a confused idea about what arrest warrants are for.

Someone else might have suggested a 'conspiracy', as you referred to, but it wasn't me. What I've suggested is stupid heavy-handedness, and I'm still suggesting it.

[ 06. September 2014, 01:04: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proton therapy evidence base review providing support.

quote:
Current data do not provide sufficient evidence to recommend PBT in lung cancer, head and neck cancer, GI malignancies, and pediatric non-CNS malignancies.
Which suggests that central nervous system tumours can be treated with this.

The opposite conclusions from a review.

quote:
a systematic review of published peer-reviewed literature reported previously and updated here is devoid of any clinical data demonstrating benefit in terms of survival, tumor control, or toxicity in comparison with best conventional treatment for any of the tumors so far treated including skull base and ocular tumors, prostate cancer and childhood malignancies.
This article goes on to state "proton therapy, should not be employed on the basis of belief alone and requires testing to avoid inappropriate use of potential detriment to future patients."

I suspect that the the reasons for disparity in the review articles - there are many more - is that particular types of tumour are probably not treated with it, and others are, and they do not know how to identify which is which yet. I suspect, heart rending as it is, that the conclusion to not provide this therapy would be considered to be reasonable in this case after sifting through about 7 or 8 of these reviews.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I think this Guardian article is a pretty good summary of the whole sorry saga.

The dispute. The discussion, at least, of court orders. The overreaction. The admission by everybody but the hospital that errors were made.

It sets out the basic legal principle, seemingly challenged by many Shipmates, that parents decide medical treatment. It tells you when that general principle can be overridden.

I've recently noticed elsewhere that what the police initially did was issue a call for information. Which is nice, because somewhere along the line I suggested exactly that was an appropriate response.

The end result of this, as things currently stand, is that the treatment that doctors in Southampton seem to have tried to insist upon is not going to happen. The treatment that Ashya's parents said they wanted is going to happen. That is exactly as it should be. There was absolutely no reason why an arrest warrant had to be issued to arrive at that result.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
I suspect, heart rending as it is, that the conclusion to not provide this therapy would be considered to be reasonable in this case after sifting through about 7 or 8 of these reviews.

Excellent. Because no-one is forcing Southampton doctors to provide this therapy against their will.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The basis for the arrest warrant was not what was known, but rather what was unknown. It seems to me that in this case the law as it's been described here operated exactly as it was supposed to-- put the brakes on when there was a reasonable cause for concern, took the brakes off once those fears were relieved.

I'll remind you of this when it's unknown whether or not you've committed a crime.

No, the protection order was on the basis of what was unknown. The protection order could legitimately be founded on some concerns for child safety.

You don't issues arrest warrants as a means of enforcing a civil order!! You issue arrest warrants for criminal offences.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Another article that resonates with me, because people have been citing various laws that are aimed at situations where parents are a threat to their child as if that makes any sense for a family that brought their sick child in for treatment and stayed at his bedside.

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think the hosp/doc/funding agency decision stops at the point they won't fund or provide. We had a case in Canada that provides an interesting parallel a few years back. In that case the parents rejected conventional medical treatment, wanting Mexican alternative and nonevidence based care plus faith healing. There was a court case, but given up when the cancer was assessed as too advanced to proceed, in that case with amputation.

It seems to me that one issue to determine is whether proposed parental treatment meets a standard for reasonable care. The proton treatment probably really doesn't. But would the doctors' proposed plan have a reasonable chance for success? I don't know if it can be really known.

The breakdown in parent-doc relationship appears to be key. But it does happen. It would also be interesting to know if the SH docs had consulted around.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Sorry, but I don't see how it's possible to say the proton therapy doesn't meet a standard of reasonable care. The highest the argument of Southampton doctors has ever been is "it'll cost more, and it won't be any better".

If it's not their money, then the cost is no longer their business. If it's not any better, then it's just as good as their idea.

If they actually had any basis for saying that it would be worse then I'm sure they would have said so. We've now even had a court hearing with a judge allowing the proton therapy treatment. No-one, anywhere, has popped up to say that it's a quack treatment.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You don't issues arrest warrants as a means of enforcing a civil order!! You issue arrest warrants for criminal offences.

This is not true in the UK in all cases. You may want to look at how the mental health act works - and how recall to hospital works in the case of a community treatment order.

(To be fair, we were surprised when we discovered that NHS staff were expected to apply for a warrant.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
The term 'consent' may be a way of referring to the usual process of discharge from hospital which requires medical staff to assess the patient's suitability for discharge and provide a 'discharge letter' which will be copied to the patient's GP. If doctors decide a patient is not fit for discharge but the patient insists on leaving then they are asked to sign a form to the effect that they are leaving against medical advice.

Yes, and "against medical advice" is exactly how the French press reported it from day one.

I'm not arguing that the hospital did not have grounds to contact the police. I'm arguing that the persistent use of the wrong word, which properly used is the preserve of the patient or next of kin, is a deliberate attempt on the part of the institution to attribute to itself, in the public mind, powers it simply does not have.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
quote:

This is not true in the UK in all cases. You may want to look at how the mental health act works - and how recall to hospital works in the case of a community treatment order.

(To be fair, we were surprised when we discovered that NHS staff were expected to apply for a warrant.)

I'm looking at the Mental Health Act, and all that I can find about arresting people is in a part that is specifically about people involved in criminal proceedings.

If you are talking about powers to detain people, I fully accept that there are such powers in the Mental Health Act. But I cannot see anything that says these powers are exercised on an arrest warrant. Arrest warrants land you in jail not in hospital - in this case, a jail near Madrid.

Most of what I can find in that Act is about "an application for admission".

[ 06. September 2014, 06:22: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Another article that resonates with me, because people have been citing various laws that are aimed at situations where parents are a threat to their child as if that makes any sense for a family that brought their sick child in for treatment and stayed at his bedside.

There is a difference between whether (hypothetical) parents want to harm their child, and whether (hypothetical) parents will harm their child.

A crime is committed if you wilfully harm your child, it *may* not be committed if you accidentally harm child.

In both cases, health & social care staff would be obliged to intervene if they had reason to believe there was a likelihood of significant harm to the child.

Neglect by failure to meet a child's basic needs or failure to secure appropriate medical care *may* be a crime if it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that the parents inaction/action was beyond what a reasonable person would do.

A child may be placed on the at risk register, or even - following a court process - removed from the custody of its parents, on the basis of neglect proved to the level of the balance of probabilities. Such a process may conclude, without criminal charges ever being laid against anyone.

Arrest is a risk management process used in the course of investigation (and certain civil situations) it is not either charge or conviction.

The CPS will press charges only if it believes a crime has been committed, a prosecution is likely to result in conviction, and that such a prosecution would be in the public interest. All three conditions have to be met.

In the Aysha King case, any concerns about neglect were not about him having proton beam therapy in another hospital (even if that treatment is felt to be without additional benefit) - they were about his state and risks whilst not being in hospital (for a period when his whereabouts were unknown) for a period of unknown duration.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm looking at the Mental Health Act, and all that I can find about arresting people is in a part that is specifically about people involved in criminal proceedings.

If you are talking about powers to detain people, I fully accept that there are such powers in the Mental Health Act. But I cannot see anything that says these powers are exercised on an arrest warrant. Arrest warrants land you in jail not in hospital - in this case, a jail near Madrid.

Police can arrest you under section 136, to take you to a place of safety. "Sectioning" someone requires a warrant (AHPs have warrant cards). If you are recalled to hospital after the breach of the terms of a community treatment order, NHS staff have to apply for a warrant.

Whilst nowadays most hospitals have 136 suites, people can be detained to a police cell using 136 and for many years that was common. It would still happen if there were no space in the 136 suite.

It is not the case that arrest leads to you normally being placed in prison, you can be held for questioning in a police station and then released, you may or may not be held in police cells for a period. You can then just be released, or you might be released on police bail.

Being remanded into custody (ie prison) requires a court hearing as is a separate process from arrest.

[ 06. September 2014, 06:32: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Arrest is a risk management process used in the course of investigation (and certain civil situations) it is not either charge or conviction.

You are going to have find for me something concrete that says it's permissible to say "you're under arrest" for anything other than a criminal investigation.

Risk management process? The right against unlawful imprisonment is one of the most fundamental rights in the entire system of English law (and hence most English-speaking countries). The Kings are suing for false imprisonment. I wouldn't dismiss their chances of success.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yes, a risk management process - in the same way remand is a risk management process.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Police can arrest you under section 136, to take you to a place of safety. "Sectioning" someone requires a warrant (AHPs have warrant cards). If you are recalled to hospital after the breach of the terms of a community treatment order, NHS staff have to apply for a warrant.
Section 136: "If a constable finds in a place to which the public have access a person who appears to him to be suffering from mental disorder and to be in immediate need of care or control, the constable may, if he thinks it necessary to do so in the interests of that person or for the protection of other persons, remove that person to a place of safety within the meaning of section 135 above."

That is not an arrest.

Can I emphasise that again: THAT IS NOT AN ARREST. Arrest is one form of detention. Don't throw the word around for every form of detention.

Seriously, if mental health professionals are using words like "warrant" and "arrest" in relation to their patients, this explains a lot about the mentality of the doctors of Southampton.

[ 06. September 2014, 06:36: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Yes, a risk management process - in the same way remand is a risk management process.

Oh wow. I'll have to take you on a visit round my jail some time and let you listen to some of the stories of people in there, awaiting trial (and thus presumed innocent), sometimes for years, and let you try that piece of semantics (Newspeak?) on them.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
quote:

You are going to have find for me something concrete that says it's permissible to say "you're under arrest" for anything other than a criminal investigation.

Risk management process? The right against unlawful imprisonment is one of the most fundamental rights in the entire system of English law (and hence most English-speaking countries). The Kings are suing for false imprisonment. I wouldn't dismiss their chances of success.

Here is the metropolitan police guidance :

quote:
Whilst Section 136 does not use the term arrest, it is a preserved power of arrest under PACE and reasonable force may be used. Section 28 PACE requires an arrested person to be told that they are under arrest and the grounds for the arrest. Whilst a person detained under Section 136 is entitled to know that their liberty is being temporarily restricted, formally telling them that they are ‘under arrest’ may be counter-productive.

Therefore, the word arrest should be avoided, and instead the police officer should use tact and discretion in communicating to the person that they will have to come with police because of the officer’s concern for their well being, and that they have no choice in the matter. There is no requirement to caution a person detained under s.136 and this should not be done.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:

Oh wow. I'll have to take you on a visit round my jail some time and let you listen to some of the stories of people in there, awaiting trial (and thus presumed innocent), sometimes for years, and let you try that piece of semantics (Newspeak?) on them.
Well what do you think remand is for then ? How is it legally justified ?

Risk of violence or reoffence and risk of flight basically. That doesn't mean those decisions are always right.

[ 06. September 2014, 06:46: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Exactly. The Metropolitan Police guidance sounds perfectly sensible.

Now, contrast that to having your name splashed across the media as being subject to an arrest warrant. And being taken to jail.

You might also take note of where a person detained under the Mental Health Act is required to be taken. I'll give you a clue: it's not a high-security prison, which is what happened to the Kings.

It's exactly the same issue as Eutychus has raised about this use of the word 'consent'. You don't use the word 'arrest' unless you're dealing with a suspected crime. An arrest warrant was issued for the Kings. Criminal prosecutors and criminal courts were involved. They were put in jail.

To say that this is somehow part of a civil process does my head in. The civil process was the order making Ashya a ward of the court. That civil process has continued long after the arrest stuff has been dropped. It's simply not part of the same legal process.

[ 06. September 2014, 06:50: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Gracie
Shipmate
# 3870

- Posted      Profile for Gracie   Email Gracie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Section 136 does not provide for arrest warrants. What it provides for are warrants to search for and remove patients. There is a huge difference.

--------------------
When someone is convinced he’s an Old Testament prophet there’s not a lot you can do with him rationally. - Sine

Posts: 1090 | From: En lieu sûr | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Exactly.

Now, contrast that to having your name splashed across the media as being subject to an arrest warrant. And being taken to jail.

You might also take note of where a person detained under the Mental Health Act is required to be taken. I'll give you a clue: it's not a high-security prison, which is what happened to the Kings.

You seem to be confusing the arrest, with remand. The latter was a court decision made afterwards - I have no idea why a Spanish court chose to put them in a high security prison. That is in no way inherent in an arrest warrant.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by Gracie:
quote:

Section 136 does not provide for arrest warrants. What it provides for are warrants to search for and remove patients. There is a huge difference.
Did you read the met guidance ? It is an arrest under the Police And Criminal Evidence Act.

I have seen it cause problems later, when some moronic police officer included the comments in the custody book as discretionary information on a Criminal Records Bureau check (formal complaints were made but with little effect).

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016