homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Use the gravy in soup with a huge amount of vegetables to counteract the fattiness.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
... Onions are more important than celery of course - without onions its hardly even a meal ...

I have a friend who can't eat onions, and I feel terribly sorry for her - I mean, how many recipes are there for soups, casseroles or whatever that don't begin with the words "peel and chop an onion"?

D. made me a really nice take on a Caprese salad yesterday - chopped up goat's cheese and avocado, halved cherry tomatoes and a dressing with herbes de Provence*, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Dead simple, and dead scrumptious.
[Axe murder]

* Rather a lot of herbes de Provence - he suffered a jar/lid malfunction ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Even more tragically, I have a friend who's allergic to garlic. And she's Italian.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Even more tragically, I have a friend who's allergic to garlic. And she's Italian.

[Waterworks] [Waterworks]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Now if I only knew what to do with the half-dozen jars of non-low-fat gravy we bought awhile back in a fit of madness during the local supermarket's BOGO sale!

Give it away or throw it away.
I know it seems wasteful, but it's just as wasteful to eat something that's neither providing you with the kind of nutrition you need, nor a really delicious eating experience.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Now if I only knew what to do with the half-dozen jars of non-low-fat gravy we bought awhile back in a fit of madness during the local supermarket's BOGO sale!

Give it away or throw it away.
I know it seems wasteful, but it's just as wasteful to eat something that's neither providing you with the kind of nutrition you need, nor a really delicious eating experience.

Give it to the local food bank/soup kitchen.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chinese leaf/Napa cabbage is really cheap here, and I'm trying to find new things to do with it. I found some recipes that stir-fry it together with spring onions, apple, maize kernels and aged cheese. I tried it for the first time this weekend, and to my surprise it tasted much better than it sounds.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Napa Cabbage can be used to make stuffed cabbage. Peel outer leaves and blanch in boiling water. Roll each leaf around a stuffing, tucking in ends and fasting with a toothpick or by tucking. Braise in a sweet/sour tomato sauce. The stuffing can be chopped cabbage, rice, onions, and browned ground meat or mushrooms,
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, I'll give it a try some time next week.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Someone will probably want to shoot me for saying this but celery works really well in chili con carne.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Have been dealing with the surfeit of tomatoes from our garden, especially cherry tomatoes.

Halved them, semi-dried them in the oven at 100degC, and then bottled them in layers interleaved with fresh basil leaves also from our flourishing kitchen garden. Finished by pouring in a good extra virgin olive oil.

This is the second crop we've treated in this way, and they're great in salads, wraps and on pizzas.

The basil has also gone into a batch of pesto, with macadamia nuts substituted for pine nuts. Very flavoursome.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That all sounds very good. Rotten cockatoos stole my tomatoes and chillies last year from my balcony. Didn't try again this year but do have quite a few herbs out there.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those sound lovely, BA - how long do you expect them to last?

Also, is there a similar way that you can preserve red bell peppers?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi piglet,

If kept cool and the jar well sealed,some months. If refrigerated well over a year, as the oil congeals a little with the cold, and when you want to use a fresh jar, you just sit it on the kitchen bench until the oil liquefies again.

Haven't tried peppers. We have some baby capsicums, or bell peppers, in the garden, but they are not producing enough to preserve. I suspect however that slicing and partially roasting them to soften the flesh a little, then bottling in oil would work.

We've had to adopt this technique as my wife has developed an allergy to salicylates, in which tomatoes are very rich. She loves growing them but can't eat them, so one summer crop will keep me going until the next season. When we have pizza I use pesto as the base instead of tomato paste, and then add the semi-dried tomatoes to my portion at the last minute to prevent any cross contamination.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LeRoc: In addition to making stuffed cabbage with Chinese cabbage, you can also make a layered casserole using the same ingredients...just shred the cabbage and alternate layers of that with the stuffed-cabbage filling of choice, and pour the sauce over everything. (I think my grandmother just rolled over in her grave...but I don't always have the patience to fuss with the cabbage rolls.)

Other things we do with Chinese cabbage: Wrappers for lettuce rolls (minced chicken with Southeast Asian flavors, lime and fresh cilantro); an addition to egg-drop soup; a yummy salad using shredded Chinese cabbage, slivered red bell pepper and green onions, dressed with a mixture of about 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce, 2 TBS rice vinegar, 2 TBS sugar and 2 TBS neutral oil, with a generous shake or two of toasted sesame oil, then topped with a mixture of crumbled, toasted ramen noodles (yes, the cheap kind beloved of poor students), toasted slivered almonds and, if desired, toasted sesame seeds. (We sometimes add chicken to this salad; also sometimes add sweet Asian chili sauce to the dressing.)

I've also tried making conventional coleslaw with Chinese cabbage; the flavor was fine but the texture took some getting used to.

My DP has a hard time eating conventional cabbage but is able to digest Chinese cabbage.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tasty soup of the week :

Peel/seed/chop etc. 500g of pumpkin. Put in a pan with 2 litres of water and 2 stock cubes and cook for 20 minutes. Strain out the pumpkin and keep 500 cl of the liquid.

Mince 1 onion and soften in butter for 8 or 9 minutes. Put the pumpkin back in the pan and sauté a bit. Return the remaining stock and add one small carton of coconut milk and a bit of curry.

Heat right through and blend.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Chinese leaf/Napa cabbage is really cheap here, and I'm trying to find new things to do with it. I found some recipes that stir-fry it together with spring onions, apple, maize kernels and aged cheese. I tried it for the first time this weekend, and to my surprise it tasted much better than it sounds.

Don't know what the weather is like where you are in Brazil, but if it's hot then Korean-style cold noodle dishes are good with Chinese cabbage, as are any clear Asian soup.

If it's cold then just use in any hearty cabbagey dish - cabbage rolls, bubble and squeak, stamppot etc. The Netherlands has so many nice cabbage recipes.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New soup* of the week: I made this last night and it is damn tasty and only takes about 15 minutes to prepare from start to finish.

I just made one change – I couldn’t buy cabbage in any smaller quantity than a cabbage and I didn’t want to have all the rest of it hanging around, so I replaced it with a bit of spinach. I think the cabbage would be better, but the spinach does work.

*Soup is largely responsible for my continued existence. If it wasn’t invented, I think I might actually starve to death.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Thanks for all the Chinese cabbage ideas, I'll try some of them in the next couple of weeks.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never tried this, but if you like spicy stuff there's always Kimchi From my experiments with salt fermented sauerkraut I'd mention, be sure to put the crock someplace where if it bubbles over, it can be cleaned easily.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kim chi is revolting - eat it if you want lots of space around you as you eat and for some days after.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
I've never tried this, but if you like spicy stuff there's always Kimchi From my experiments with salt fermented sauerkraut I'd mention, be sure to put the crock someplace where if it bubbles over, it can be cleaned easily.

I'm not anti-kimchi like Gee D, but for "someplace where if it bubbles over, it can be cleaned easily" I'd suggest "another building".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gather that you're not on a morning train to work, peacefully reading a book, or chatting in a companionable way to a friend, but then invaded by the dreaded kim chi eaters of Chatswood. The stench is even worse than that of raw onion on the early morning domestic flights 20 years ago.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It basically smells of garlic. As lovely a perfume as onion!

--------------------
Ken

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It basically smells of garlic. As lovely a perfume as onion!

No, not just garlic which I love and use a vast amount of for just one person. It is a deeply ingrained odour from those who eat it by the jar everyday.

Gee D, Burwood is about on a par with Chatswood and Strathfield is heading that way.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My mother used to work as an OR nurse with surgeons who were all Korean. She said they used to dread the afternoons, as the surgeons would all come in to operate with kim chi lunch breath that would kill anyone not anesthetized. Or something to that effect.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like cabbage, I like garlic, I like chilli - but cannot abide pickles of any kind which rules kimchi out for me. It is very good for you, full of friendly bacteria - and is a source of them for vegans who can't have probiotic yogurt.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I'm reminded of appearing some 40 years or more ago in a non-airconditioned and crowded court. A colleague at the bar table came back from lunch reeking of the garlic prawns he he had for lunch - and still reeked the next day as the garlic worked its way through his skin. He did apologise.

On the other hand, Elizabeth David tells the story of a young lady (I use that phrase as indicative of the time) mannequin at a leading London couturier. She liked garlic, and was told to stop eating it. She resolved to do so, but had a last day when she consumed enormous quantities of it. The next day, she was complimented on the sweetness of her breath etc. The moral was that her body had become attuned to eating the garlic and it no longer had the consequences.

Kim chi is not in the same category. Perhaps it's the pickling, perhaps something else. But the stench the next day (I can't imagine anyone eating it for breakfast) is overpowering and just plain ill-mannered.

[ 25. January 2014, 01:41: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

When they were planning to have a Korean Astronaut on the International Space Station the Korean Space Agency did a lot of work to create a Kimchi that could be sent into zero gravity and not offend the other astronauts.
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I'm not anti-kimchi like Gee D, but for "someplace where if it bubbles over, it can be cleaned easily" I'd suggest "another building".

The Koreans would traditionally store crocks of it underneath the house. Based on my experience with sauerkraut a cool basement works fine, as long as spills can be mopped up. Pickles are like sausage, they're not a pretty sight while being made.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
I'm reminded of appearing some 40 years or more ago in a non-airconditioned and crowded court. A colleague at the bar table came back from lunch reeking of the garlic prawns he he had for lunch - and still reeked the next day as the garlic worked its way through his skin. He did apologise.

On the other hand, Elizabeth David tells the story of a young lady (I use that phrase as indicative of the time) mannequin at a leading London couturier. She liked garlic, and was told to stop eating it. She resolved to do so, but had a last day when she consumed enormous quantities of it. The next day, she was complimented on the sweetness of her breath etc. The moral was that her body had become attuned to eating the garlic and it no longer had the consequences.

Kim chi is not in the same category. Perhaps it's the pickling, perhaps something else. But the stench the next day (I can't imagine anyone eating it for breakfast) is overpowering and just plain ill-mannered.

Kimchi is quite frequently eaten at breakfast by Koreans, goes well in an omelette apparently.

Some people (like me) just like strong-flavoured foods and I think calling it ill-mannered is a bit much - not enjoying bland mush isn't a crime.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I don't think you know what we eat Jade.

The offence is travelling to work on a train, reeking - no different to those who have not showered for a couple of days.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

[Waterworks] [Waterworks]
I'm not allergic to garlic but I sure wish half the world was! I mean, okay, garlic is tasty and good for you but SOME people and some restaurants go crazy with garlic and I can't stand it. Same with cilantro. A little cilantro goes a long, long, loooong way. I had a burrito the other night that had so much cilantro in it it was nearly inedible...

Anyway, back to the recipes...

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
I don't think you know what we eat Jade.

The offence is travelling to work on a train, reeking - no different to those who have not showered for a couple of days.

Of course people should brush their teeth etc. But liking food that actually tastes of something isn't a crime. Give me chilli and garlic over salt and pepper any day.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Jade, no objection to garlic, chilli or pepper - all of which and many other herbs and spices we use on a daily basis (no salt, better for blood pressure). What I object to is the lack of good manners these people have, getting onto a crowded train reeking of kim chi. It does not matter if it's been in a breakfast omelette (although they really should be eating their Weet Bix) or from the night before. It's the unthinking imposition on others using the trains.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It does not matter if it's been in a breakfast omelette (although they really should be eating their Weet Bix)

YMMV (and clearly does), but given a choice between a bowl of cereal with milk and a breakfast omelette I'd unhesitatingly go for the omelette. Cereal and milk are two of my least favourite things, especially in combination, and I wouldn't wish that on anybody unless they were exceptionally hungry. A well-made omelette is another matter, though I'm not sure about the kimchi.

Some people do like strong flavours to kickstart the morning. Continental-style is good in this respect, as it can mean smoked ham and cheeses with strong dark coffee. Blue cheese is particularly good here.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Nothing against omelettes for breakfast as such except the time taken to cook and eat one and then the getting into the machine in addition to or instead of the preparation of the Weet Bix; I'm already out of bed at 5.15 or so, and to make it 5 is just a bit too early.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, I'm out of bed at 5.30 am so it's usually a sandwich, sometimes a toasted one, before I have to leave. I could pack it to take with me but on a cold winter morning, it's better to have something hot to eat before you leave if you can.

I have been known to cook a packed lunch to take with me for later, but that requires the sort of brain-hand co-ordination I can't rely on at that hour.

Anyway, back to recipes.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Most days I couldn't even eat at 5.30 never mind cook! I don't usually wake up till going on 8 or get up for some time after that but even then breakfast isn't often compatible with a working day.

Today I had a small piece of bread (very small) about 10am, some coffee at a meeting at 2pm, and that was the nearest I got to breakfast. Didn't eat anything of note till after 5pm. Still haven't had the salad I brought to work for lunch.

--------------------
Ken

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, I tried making chopped liver for the first time today, and the result is kinda fluid. Is it supposed to be like that? I've made paté lots of times and it usually sets into something firmer.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

You should be able to smear it on bread, but it should have some firmness. The recipes I read talk about avoiding over processing the liver into a puree, it should be somewhat coarse. Did you also use schmaltz and hard boiled eggs in the blend?
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The recipe had me simmer the livers in broth for an hour, then process in onions and a hard boiled egg. Even though I felt like it couldn't be right, the recipe didn't say anything about draining the livers, so I didn't.

Shoulda just made paté. Sigh. Maybe I can salvage the liver smoothie by processing in another hard boiled egg.

[ 28. January 2014, 00:32: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

An hour seems a long time to cook liver!

It's not super-delicate like kidney, which basically wants to be flash-fried in butter with some garlic and mushrooms and pepper and wine added at the end (unless stewed slowly into a steak and kidney pie of course but then its meant more or less as a flavouring).

I have a feeling that liver goes rubbery if cooked for a long time. Or is that what you are looking for when chopping it?

--------------------
Ken

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I honestly don't know. I've never had chopped liver before. Usually when I make pate, I simmer the livers so that they are just pink inside.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

An excellent and quite easy chicken liver pate recipe, which works even better with duck livers :

Finely chop a small onion and slowly melt in some butter with a chopped anchovy, some thyme leaves and a bit of chopped parsley until the onion is very soft and golden. Increase heat and quickly sear a half kilo of trimmed livers until they're cooked but still pink in the centre - a bit more butter may be necessary at this stage. Add a splash of port, brandy, dry vermouth etc, evaporate the alcohol and scrape up everything that has stuck to the base. Let it cool for a while and put into the food processor with 250g of butter cut into dice and softened, less a little bit. Purée until smooth and scrape into a dish with a small bay leaf on the base. Melt the remaining bit of butter and pour over the top to seal. Into the fridge for 24 hours or so.

It will keep 3 or 4 days if needed. Serve with water crackers or dry toast, and statins.

[ 28. January 2014, 02:05: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've adapted Delia Smith's chicken-liver pâté recipe: as I don't usually have brandy in the house I use a mixture of whisky and port instead, and I add a couple of tablespoons of double cream, as it makes it a bit more easily spreadable.

D's been re-discovering the joys of chicken-brick cookery, and did a boneless lamb joint this evening which was absolutely to die for, with potatoes and veggies cooked around it.

very well-fed piglet [Smile]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I don't know chicken-brick at al and the recipes I've just looked at are enigmatic. We often have a boneless leg which I cook on a Sunday evening.

I cooked 2 smallish boned legs over charcoal for Australia Day dinner. We did not know how many would be there until a few hours beforehand, but the 2 legs together came to about 2.25 kg. We knew that would feed up to 10, but if only 4 were going to be there, Madame could put one into the freezer (the butcher was closed for the public holiday). With 5 for dinner, I cooked both over a medium fire for an hour, turning every 20 minutes and resting wrapped in foil for 10. The lamb was still deep pink, but firm rather then bleu, and delicious. I also cooked a large tray of small new potatoes rolled in olive oil while Madame did a bowl of green beans tossed with sweated onions and diced home-grown tomatoes, and a green salad with lots of rocket and basil.

Left over lamb will be diced and reheated in a sauce of onions, garlic, tomatoes and harrisa paste, with a drained can or 2 of chickpeas. This dish comes from Claudia Roden from memory and is called harrira. That will go well with some cous cous and a salad. The great thing about that is that Madame can have the sauce made and lamb diced, then the 2 can be combined when I get home.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

This is a chicken brick - it's a terracotta dish, glazed inside but not outside.

Soak it in cold water for half an hour before you start, during which time you can prepare your chicken or meat with whatever flavourings take your fancy.

Our experiments have included:

Chicken with orange and lemon (put chopped half of each into cavity, sprinkle with the juice of the other halves, tarragon and seasoning and some oil)

Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic [Devil] (put a few cloves of garlic inside, and scatter the rest round the chicken (unpeeled), season and rub with oil or butter)

Lamb (make slits in the meat and insert slivers of garlic, sprinkle over rosemary or lamb seasoning, add veggies round the edge, season and pour over red wine)

Once you've soaked the brick, pat it dry, add your meat, flavourings and veggies and put it into a cold oven. Turn the oven to its highest setting, leave it for an hour and it'll be done.

Warning: when you take the brick out of the oven, make sure you've got good, long oven gloves; I caught an unprotected wrist on the side of the oven once and the scar lasted for years. [Eek!]

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Thanks Piglet, we have had one of those for years and use it from time to time. I did not know it by that name. Ours is called a schlemmertopf or something like that. We also have a round version, slightly different finish, which is for roasting potatoes in their jackets.

Try soaking half the brick while the bread machine is making some pagnotta dough, put a sheet of baking paper in it if you like, form a loaf in the brick, put into a cold oven and turn it to around 240 C. You get a fantastic crust.

Pagnotta

3 cups unbleached white plain baking flour
1 cup either dark rye/soy/wholemeal plain flour
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil (we sometimes use 2)
1 tbsp gluten flour (optional)
1 1/4 teaspoons each dried yeast and salt
1 tbsp brown sugar (white's ok)

Put all into the bread machine and turn it to the dough cycle. It is a sticky dough, even more so if you use rye flour Sprinkle well with more unbleached fouler, make into a torpedo loaf, slash halfway round the long side just under the top, put into a cold oven and turn to 240. It takes around 40 - 45 minutes depending on your oven

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Sorry for double post, but when I looked up "chicken brick" I got recipes for cooking chicken pieces under bricks.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016