homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A simple - but on the evidence of this evening - stunning recipe. You will need -

Stewing lamb (diced)
Cooking chorizo
Onion
Garlic
Red wine
Lamb stock

Toss the lamb in flour. Fry the diced chorizo, and in the resultant fat fry the lamb bits and then the onion and garlic. Tip everything back in the pan and pour over some red wine and stock. Simmer for about an hour.

Baked potato (halved, oiled and finished under a hot grill is always fun but not strictly necessary), and a good Spanish or Portugese red.

Life hath not anything to show more fair.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
A simple - but on the evidence of this evening - stunning recipe. You will need -

Stewing lamb (diced)
Cooking chorizo
Onion
Garlic
Red wine
Lamb stock

Toss the lamb in flour. Fry the diced chorizo, and in the resultant fat fry the lamb bits and then the onion and garlic. Tip everything back in the pan and pour over some red wine and stock. Simmer for about an hour.

Baked potato (halved, oiled and finished under a hot grill is always fun but not strictly necessary), and a good Spanish or Portugese red.

Life hath not anything to show more fair.

Finishing with flan or a Portuguese custard tart would only add to the loveliness.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds rather divine, Firenze, but what do you mean by "cooking" chorizo? One that needs to be cooked?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
That sounds rather divine, Firenze, but what do you mean by "cooking" chorizo? One that needs to be cooked?

Yes. They come identified as such in the supermarket - usually sold as sausages, as opposed to ready-sliced, or the dried rings.
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
New soup* of the week: I made this last night and it is damn tasty and only takes about 15 minutes to prepare from start to finish.

I just made one change – I couldn’t buy cabbage in any smaller quantity than a cabbage and I didn’t want to have all the rest of it hanging around, so I replaced it with a bit of spinach. I think the cabbage would be better, but the spinach does work.

*Soup is largely responsible for my continued existence. If it wasn’t invented, I think I might actually starve to death.

Tried this last night (with the cabbage) and it was great, vie! Added an extra stock cube, pinch of paprika and glug of olive oil. Mrs. TT has declared it "the best soup ever". It's really fast too and doesn't require anything beyond a knife and single saucepan.

Grateful TT

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We make chicken wings every Super Bowl Sunday; usually DP makes one kind and I make another, and we have an informal taste-off.

We had no objective participants this year, thanks to the Bug That's Going Around -- we wound up watching the game by ourselves. I also wound up choosing and making both recipes. DP called it a draw, but I gave the win to the following recipe for Lemon and Honey-Dijon Wings:

3 lb wings, excess fat trimmed and tips removed if desired
1/4 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS lemon juice
2 TBS Dijon mustard
1 TBS honey
2 tsp salt
1 TBS freshly ground pepper

Place wings in a non-reactive bowl, shallow dish or large plastic bag; mix remaining ingredients well and pour over wings. Marinate at least 2 hours, preferably more. Preheat oven to 375 degrees; line a large pan with foil, spray with cooking spray and place wings, not touching, on the pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, occasionally turning and basting with reserved marinade.

I lessened the salt content -- we went off our diets for the day, but I was still concerned about the sodium content -- also lessened the pepper to maybe a scant two teaspoons; used generous tablespoons, instead of scant ones, of the mustard, honey and lemon juice. And I sprinkled a bit of dry thyme into the marinade. We really, really enjoyed the result.

The runners-up were called Mahogany Wings: Baked in the same way for the same time, but with a marinade that included 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup honey, 2 TBS chili sauce (ketchup is fine), 1 TBS molasses, 1 tsp ground ginger and 2 minced garlic cloves. The sugars in the marinade make for attractively glazed, deliciously sticky wings. They were good too. Heat lovers could certainly add a few splashes of sriracha to the marinade.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

LutheranChik - sounds the sort of thing I would just love about now. But husb. still recovering from dental surgery, so it's been fish and mash, haggis, neeps and tatties (mashed), quiche, and, tonight, curried mince.

After that, my supply of Things You Don't Have To Chew (but which you'd actually want to eat) runs a bit low.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not wild about couscous, but perhaps that, with veg chopped suitably small and cooked soft, or mince in some kind of spicy sauce, might be an option? Rice could also be an alternative. Tinned fish (which is quite soft) comes in a variety of different sauces, if you could countenance the idea, to have with the rice.

Given the weather, a thick, filling pea soup or fish soup might be quite nice as well as being a meal in itself.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Lunch is soup. So far, spicy parsnip, beef broth and haddock chowder.

I can probably think of other stuff - it's just the more your horizon is filled with something squidgy in a cheese sauce, the more you crave crispy-fried everything with caramelised nut topping.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
... I lessened the salt content ...

I'm not an anti-salt freak, but I think you were probably wise - 2 teaspoons strikes me as a hell of a lot, especially with so much garlic, which is also quite thirst-making. It sounds nice though, and I say that as someone for whom wings about twice a year is more than enough. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze: Your post reminded me of DP's jaw surgery a couple of years ago and my quest to find out which common foods taste (if not look) best when buzzed up in a blender. Roast chicken blended with mashed potatoes and gravy got a thumbs-up; pork and gravy not so much; Mexican food, especially anything including corn tortillas, was surprisingly edible. DP had a hankering for pizza one day a couple weeks post-op -- we tried a softer section of real pizza but she just couldn't eat it, so she asked me to do something with it in the blender; I almost vomited during the processing (I think I used a little heated tomato juice or something as a binder), but microwaved back to hotness with some parmesan added to it, she liked it. I would have been happy to have made soups for a month, but she would get so weary of the texture, and want something more substantial.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Thank you (I think) for that. It's not so much the food as the mope. Dinner is our social time, so sitting down with someone slowly and glumly picking their way through fairly boring food is a bit of a downer. (I mean, I do sympathise as a wife, but the chef/bon viveur in me is pissed off).

However, another week should do it.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You might consider some version of the Chinese steamed chicken and rice. Process chicken to fine chicken add toppings of soy sauce, sesame oil and fresh ginger for those who can tolerate them.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Texture is the problem, rather than flavour, isn't it? How about making one of your regular winter-time casseroles. Serve it with mashed celeriac, potato, pumpkin, kumera or what have you, serve your portion as usual and purée the other? Loads of flavour for you both, but his is in a form he can eat at the moment.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Jesus finally answered my prayers and kidneys showed up at my local supermarket. Which means that I spent the day making steak and kidney pie, and my freezer is now stocked up with plenty of kidneys to see me through the year.

I am letting the pie set in the fridge over night, to be reheated for dinner tomorrow. That way, the gravy doesn't all pour out when I cut in to it.

[ 14. February 2014, 02:54: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

It's early and I'm ill-slept, but that first sentence entered my brain as 'Jesus finally answered my prayers and kidneys (and he) showed up at my local supermarket'.

Actually, I can't remember seeing kidneys that much in supermarkets here - sort of thing I would go to my local butcher for.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, offal is somewhat out of fashion. Liver is probably the only one you're likely to see, though you can sometimes see hearts... I can't think where it was I saw tripe on sale the other day. It was packaged in plastic packets in a supermarket I don't normally go to, but can't remember which one.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Bet it was Morrisons. I've even seen hearts, and rolls of 'crackling' there (not very good though, not enough fat on it). I suspect my butcher processes a lot of offal into haggis, puddings and potted meat. They also sell stuff like soup cuts, ham hocks, lamb shanks and occasionally pigs' feet. Trouble is, as the numbers decline of people who know what to do with such cuts, they are likely to disappear as they have from the mass-market stores.
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tasty soup the next (baby it's cold outside):

Peel and chop up four medium potatoes.

Heat one litre of vegetable stock and add the potatoes, 500g frozen peas and three tablespoons of green pesto. Cook for about ten minutes until the potatoes are soft.

Take out 1/3 of the vegetables and set aside. Blend the rest of the soup smooth and then put the reserved veg back in.

I also made some crouton things to go in the top – slices of the baguette that was fossilising in my fridge, spread with pesto and sprinkled with parmesan and then stuck in the oven for a while. ‘Twas very yummy.

(This makes enough soup for four people. It’s very filling because of the potatoes. I now have a not inconsiderable quantity of soup in my freezer so another time I think I would probably halve the recipe.)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
posted by Firenze:
Trouble is, as the numbers decline of people who know what to do with such cuts, they are likely to disappear as they have from the mass-market stores.

Guilty as charged. In a fit of over-enthusiasm/recognition of the fact it was a cheap cut/suspicion it ought to taste good I bought a ham hock. I have no idea what to do with it, other than just boil it up as I would a ham joint, and it's staring at me accusingly from the freezer every time I open the drawer. (This is what I get for trying to eat down the contents to make defrosting easier!)

So, what do I do with it?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Bet it was Morrisons. I've even seen hearts, and rolls of 'crackling' there (not very good though, not enough fat on it).

I've a feeling it was Aldi, as I'm in Morrisons a lot and don't recall having seen tripe there. Kidneys, hearts, yes... it was an eye-opener going to Birmingham's Indoor Market where they had large piles of what looked like literally every part of a sheep, cow or pig for sale on the counters.

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
...I bought a ham hock. I have no idea what to do with it, other than just boil it up as I would a ham joint, and it's staring at me accusingly from the freezer every time I open the drawer. (This is what I get for trying to eat down the contents to make defrosting easier!)

So, what do I do with it?

Most recipes do seem to involve boiling the hock/giving it slow cooking. I haven't tried any of the recipes below, but the Independent's link looks useful, and might be a good starting point for inspiration.
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried this simple recipe, substituting some cabbage for the onions, and it was pretty nice. The best bit was using the left-over ham and stock to make a cheesy chicken-and-ham stew though.
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Supermarkets in my area usually stock liver and tongue, but I have to stock up whenever kidneys or suet show up, which is very infrequently. The butcher in my area closed a couple years ago, because it's my fault for having the expectation of ever being happy, I suppose.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In The South, we love cooking ham hocks with dried beans. Black-eyed peas are especially yummy with ham hock! Smoked hocks add a lot of flavor.

Easy recipe:

One pound dried black eyes (pick out any stones)
Rinse, then soak overnight in salted cool water.

Put ham hocks in a quart of water and simmer for an hour and a half.
Drain peas, add to ham hocks along with a chopped onion. Add a bit more water if there isn't enough to just cover peas.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Simmer for two hours, or until peas are tender.

Serve over rice with cornbread on the side. Yum, yum!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds like one for the slow cooker.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Yes, offal is somewhat out of fashion. Liver is probably the only one you're likely to see, though you can sometimes see hearts... I can't think where it was I saw tripe on sale the other day. It was packaged in plastic packets in a supermarket I don't normally go to, but can't remember which one.

Kidneys are on sale in all the main supermarkets here. Tescos and Sainsburys and Waitrose certainly. Quite common I think. Right alongside the liver. Kidney is almost a cheap luxury here, as well as being a traditional component of our second-most traditional food. It hardly counts as "offal". Liver does, lots of people turn their noses up at liver. Maybe because its so cheap, so reminds them of poverty.

Heart, not so much on sale. Seen it very rarely in mainstream supermarkets. Can get sheeps hearts (and heads!) in Turkish shops. Where the kidneys are cheaper and better than larger supermarkets as well.

Inner London is something of a streetmarket culture, so very few butchers (and no greengrocers at all) round our way. Unless you count the handful of organic/wholefoody places. Posher bits of London may have fewer markets and more shops. In the last few years I've shifted most of my meat buying to street markets and ethnic shops - cheaper, more variety, and closer to home than big supermarkets - and I've been buying more game. So I do see heads and hearts for sale quite regularly.

Tripe is vanishingly rare here. I only remember seeing it in Borough Market (which sells pretty much any kind of food, usually at an extreme price.). On the other hand most towns in the north of England seem to have excellent indoor markets and most have stalls selling tripe. Well, the ones I've been to do. Well, Preston does.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Jesus finally answered my prayers and kidneys showed up at my local supermarket. Which means that I spent the day making steak and kidney pie, and my freezer is now stocked up with plenty of kidneys to see me through the year.

I am letting the pie set in the fridge over night, to be reheated for dinner tomorrow. That way, the gravy doesn't all pour out when I cut in to it.

Did you ever have a problem with keeping steak and kidney pie overnight in the fridge? I seem to recall a fermentation problem. Though maybe it was OK over one night, since I also recall cold pie.
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Ken:
Kidneys are on sale in all the main supermarkets here.

The Asian market down the trolley line from me has every sort of pork offal—but never much in the way of beef offal besides liver and tripe. The for-real butchers where you can get goat heads and top quality cuts to order are all downtown, which is an awful long way on public transportation. Ho hum.
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Did you ever have a problem with keeping steak and kidney pie overnight in the fridge? I seem to recall a fermentation problem. Though maybe it was OK over one night, since I also recall cold pie.

I've never had problems keeping leftover pie in the fridge for a few days.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zach, what do you put in it, apart from the obvious? My family version flours the meats (which thickens the gravy) with seasoned flour, including pepper, salt and mustard powder, and also has onion and a stock cube. And it is in a deep pie dish - I suspect yours has a pastry base, because of the pouring out concern. And I never had any problems with any other pie.
And I'm now wondering if my mother's warning dates back before fridges, and if I have ever experienced the problem myself, or the bubbliness is from far back in my memory. Puzzling. I have always been very careful not to let it go longer than a day.
I'm currently feeling an offal hunger - spotted the liver in the shop today, and am now craving either an S&K pudding or pie.

[ 14. February 2014, 18:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've seen tripe, heart, kidneys and liver at Tescos. Bought and eaten the kidneys and liver. My daughter shared student flats with Chinese and Malaysian students and was taught to cook chicken feet and pigs trotters, and does so from choice. I sent her to university able to cook quite a bit, she came back with a different repertoire to me.

She had a story of the other English flatmate coming home hungry one night to see a stove covered with bubbling pots and hoping to steal some food. Said pots contained a range of delights such as the chicken feet, pigs trotters and possibly tripe. Not anything the girl wanted to eat.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Zach, what do you put in it, apart from the obvious? My family version flours the meats (which thickens the gravy) with seasoned flour, including pepper, salt and mustard powder, and also has onion and a stock cube. And it is in a deep pie dish - I suspect yours has a pastry base, because of the pouring out concern. And I never had any problems with any other pie.
And I'm now wondering if my mother's warning dates back before fridges, and if I have ever experienced the problem myself, or the bubbliness is from far back in my memory. Puzzling. I have always been very careful not to let it go longer than a day.
I'm currently feeling an offal hunger - spotted the liver in the shop today, and am now craving either an S&K pudding or pie.

I dredge the meat in seasoned flour, brown it, then simmer it in broth, a little wine and dashes of ketchup and hot mustard, until tender. I add mushrooms, drop it all in a pastry crust, and bake. I usually bake it in a circular cake tin.

I am not sure what you mean by fermentation issues. I mean, it'll go bad eventually, but so far as I can tell it will last just as long as any other leftovers.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Wine might make the difference. I'm somewhat tempted to experiment. I do remember the gravy -thick and jellylike when cold - starting to separate and bubble. And the kitchen I visualise this in is one I left at 14, and where, for a while, we had no fridge, only a device called an Osokool, a plaster cube containing a metal box on which one poured water to evaporate in summer.

But I do have, as you can tell, this deeply ingrained idea that the filling of steak and kidney needs special care, so much so that I need to issue warnings! Regard this as a weird hangover from the early part of the last century, along with not leaving sausages or pork uncooked.

How do you get yours out of the cake tin? Does it have a lid like a pork pie? (A lot easier to take a slice on a picnic than a pie dish version.)

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Wine might make the difference. I'm somewhat tempted to experiment. I do remember the gravy -thick and jellylike when cold - starting to separate and bubble. And the kitchen I visualise this in is one I left at 14, and where, for a while, we had no fridge, only a device called an Osokool, a plaster cube containing a metal box on which one poured water to evaporate in summer.

But I do have, as you can tell, this deeply ingrained idea that the filling of steak and kidney needs special care, so much so that I need to issue warnings! Regard this as a weird hangover from the early part of the last century, along with not leaving sausages or pork uncooked.

How do you get yours out of the cake tin? Does it have a lid like a pork pie? (A lot easier to take a slice on a picnic than a pie dish version.)

It's got a bottom and top crust like any other pie. If I made the crust properly, it should lift right out. Sometimes that first slice is a bit messy, but it's not a dish renowned for it's beauty, nu?

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I heard somewhere that Morrisons recently started a whole animal policy, which would explain the appearance of pigs' trotters, pig cheeks and brawn on a more regular basis.

Tripe is still available in the markets round here, but not as much as 'when I were a lass'. Dedicated stalls in Wakefield and Leeds are long gone.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I wondered about that as I noticed things reappearing on the shelves at Morrisons which hadn't been there for a while.

I don't like offal much but used to like lambs' hearts; in a casserole with a red wine sauce and served with dumplings they were quite good. I tried tripe once; I remember my mother saying it needed a lot of washing before she cooked it. It was done in milk with nutmeg (I think). Not something I'd want to eat again.

[ 14. February 2014, 20:10: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I've only tried making tripe once. It was pretty rubbery and tasteless—maybe it was the way I prepared it.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I've tried tripe, once in spain and a few times at a Chinese buffet, it had been cooked in a savoury broth and was very tasty. Never been brave enough to try cooking it at home though.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All sorts of offal can be delicious. Tripe needs careful preparation and you may want to read either Elizabeth David or Constance Spry for guidance from the word go. Steak and kidney pie is a winter essential, but I don't recall ever having eaten the pudding version of it. In fact, long boiled puddings of any sort seem to have vanished from the scene here decades ago. Perhaps this winter we may try a sort of pudding in the slow cooker.

AFAIK, I've never eaten heart or lights, and would rather not know that they'd been served to me until after I had eaten. I have eaten bull's testicles - more likely some of one - in Italy. A smallish restaurant in the lake region, cooked in a tomato sauce, the dish was very enjoyable. I've not ventured to other organs but no doubt such dishes are available in Hong Kong.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Boiled puddings are unheard of in the United States. I brought Harrod's Christmas puddings back as exotic gifts when I went to England. Heck, steak and kidney pie is exotic.

The only hearts I've eaten are chicken and turkey hearts. I can safely say that lights and fries (ahem) will never show up in the supermarket.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

We did stuffed ox heart at school. I liked it. I wouldn't do it for me alone though, too big - I am now fancying stuffed lamb's heart. It does look like what it is, though.
Last night I had soup made from the turkey gravy from Christmas with blitzed meaty bits, and added veggies and the heart from the giblets which had been lurking in the freezer. As I then blended the soup, it had entirely disappeared when I ate it.

Nowadays, the pudding would be steamed, or slow cooked rather than boiled. My dad used to hanker for a pudding boiled in a cloth, as his mum did it, which has a completely different texture to one steamed in a bowl. I've never had one.

[ 15. February 2014, 07:53: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Maybe kidney pudding can be my next project—I do have three extra kidneys stocked up in the freezer. It calls for suet doesn't it?

[ 15. February 2014, 13:49: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Yes - an item which was on my shopping list in the shredded boxed variety, and which I have, once more, forgotten. Can you get that sort, or do you have to get it from the butcher?

Do you fancy a Sussex Pond Pudding if you get it?

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

I have a couple blocks of it in the freezer. Boxed shredded suet isn't a thing in these lands, but suet shows up at the supermarket every now and then.

Never heard of Sussex Pond Pudding, but the wikipedia makes it sound like a worthwhile project.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sussex Pond pudding is a lovely use of suet. It even works with gluten free flour.

I tried a steak and kidney pudding in the slow cooker and the flavour was great, but the suet crust didn't do too well.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

It is extremely rich and you won't want to eat much of it, so the cholesterol and sugar issues will be limited - I would have something very light as a main course. And possibly serve it with a non-traditional Creme Fraiche to lift it a little. The lemon needs to be non-waxed.

I note that Wikipedia suggests that currants added to the filling make it not a Sussex Pond Pudding.

My Nana apparently responded to the suggestion of putting dried fruit in the crust by saying "They may do that sort of thing in Surrey, but it wouldn't be a Sussex Pond Pudding. Intonation a bit Edith Evans, but Sussex accent.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Well... I've never been afraid of a little cholesterol. I'm sure my cardiologist will have much to say about it in a few decades. My wife's too.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

If you're looking for more ways with offal, there's that Victorian standard devilled kidneys.

Actually, I am looking at that and wondering if it would work with liver. What do people think?

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It might work with liver - again, don't over cook because it will go tough. I think lambs' livers would work best.

But what a waste: a great breakfast is thinly sliced calves' liver. lightly floured then fried in butter: leave to rest while you fry an egg and serve with mushrooms. Enjoy!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

My favourite liver recipes are the liver with juniper and yoghurt from Delia Smith, the paprika liver - although I got to the point where my adaptation had drifted a long way - and her peppered liver - a take on steak au poivre.

That Nigel Slater recipe looks very like the Margaret da Costa version in Four Seasons Cookbook.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Well... I've never been afraid of a little cholesterol. I'm sure my cardiologist will have much to say about it in a few decades. My wife's too.

And, of course, the butter should be unsalted!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016