homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

But if anyone has any ideas for leftover brandy butter, I'd be pleased to hear them.

Take one teaspoon. Remove lid of container. Hold the container in your left hand, teaspoon in the right ...

(reverse if you are left handed of course)

The trouble with brandy butter is that it is so hard to resist.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
But if anyone has any ideas for leftover brandy butter, I'd be pleased to hear them.

I think this is one of those rare problems, but it would make a slap-up filling for various kinds of cookies (biscuits to you lot). My goddaughter does petit beurre sandwiches with ganache or cream cheese frosting; brandy butter would work there, or you could go super-luxe with a ginger biscuit or something more shortbready.

Or give fruit (raw or cooked) or plainer baked good any a little extra something something by melting it over as a glaze.

[ 08. January 2013, 06:15: Message edited by: Amazing Grace ]

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm using up someone else's spare brandy butter by putting it with apple & pear sponge. Seems to work just fine...

I suspect you could also freeze it: there's nothing in there that will ruin by freezing, I don't think. (Also good for getting rid of the double cream lake, though that's better whipped and portioned prior to freezing)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
I'm using up someone else's spare brandy butter by putting it with apple & pear sponge. Seems to work just fine...

Aha! I am making a cheesecake for tomorrow, with a base of crumbled digestive held together with melted butter.

On which subject, I have just visited three supermarkets, looking for either an orange, lemon or lime jelly. And the only flavour in stock? Strawberry.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So here's a challenge.... I need a recipe by Friday for a dairy-free, wheat-free, oat-free, rice-free dessert that isn't fruit salad (far too virtuous) and that possibly uses blackberries, plums, rhubarb or gooseberries from my freezer.
Anyone have a suggestion?

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Meringue of some sort?

You could try mulling the fruits (plums/backberries definitely, maybe rhubarb too) and if you can keep them from disintegrating, serve them on a meringue base. Or put a meringue top on it.
Maybe serve with the Swedish Glace non-dairy icecream thingy?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know what state your frozen plums are in, but if whole or halved maybe you could bake them? Add some raisins and brown sugar and spices and dairy-free marg in the centres, a bit like baked apples. If anyone's not dairy free they could splodge on some creme fraiche to serve, or you can get soy ice cream I believe.
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find fruit is cheered up a lot by being piled into a shallow dish, thickly sprinkled with brown sugar, then baked in a hot oven until it's got burnt bits, drizzle on fruit liqueur to taste. Or just banana, baked with rum and sugar. Or stew the fruits separately, and then layer in a glass with ground almonds, or ground roasted hazelnuts.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
So here's a challenge.... I need a recipe by Friday for a dairy-free, wheat-free, oat-free, rice-free dessert that isn't fruit salad (far too virtuous) and that possibly uses blackberries, plums, rhubarb or gooseberries from my freezer.
Anyone have a suggestion?

A compote of stewed rhubarb with some finely chopped ginger in syrup (the sort you get in jars). Cook the rhubarb but don't add sugar, add some syrup from the ginger jar instead and chuck in some finely chopped pieces of the ginger. Let the rhubarb reduce to mush. It is essentially a sort of rhubarb fool. Serve with a dollop of sorbet. Vanilla might be nice.

I also have a plum compote recipe where you halve, stone and cook the plums with some grated lemon rind, some sugar, apple juice, brandy and ground cardamom. The recipe suggests you serve it over frozen yogurt (I used ice cream), but you could get away with another sorbet for this as well.

Or there could be baked apples, either stuffed with something like mincemeat or one of your freezer fruits, pre-cooked in some flavoursome way?

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the ideas, although I'm still hunting for something a bit more puddingy and less like a warm fruit salad. I'm toying with using gram flour or polenta as a crumble topping - is this sensible?
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DaisyDaisy

All right this is a fruit salad but I assure you that I have never known anyone refer to it as virtuous.

Winter Fruit Salad
Dried fruit usually a mix of prunes, apricots, pears, pineapple and mango.
Brandy
Apple juice
Brown sugar/honey
spices
and glace ginger

If not soft dried fruit then soak over night in apple juice to soften. Add Brandy and brown sugar and heat gently until brown sugar is disolved and leave to cool. Chop glace ginger fine and stir in.

You put enough brandy in an no-one thinks of it as worthy!

Service with pretend double cream

box of cream substitute
Box of ground almonds
vanilla extract

grind almonds even finer
place in an empty bottle that has a secure lid
add cream substitue and vanilla extract
seal bottle and shake well.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If the problem isn't wheat but gluten, there's gluten-free flour, which would open up a lot more possibilities.

Pancakes with blackberries, sugar and lemon being one.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rice is also mentioned though, which doesn't contain gluten! Wondering if the recipient is on some kind of paleo diet.

Anyway, I would vote for some kind of pavlova which isn't virtuous at all.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

If maize flour/polenta is OK, that opens up all sorts of pancake and fritter possibilities.

Maybe a leaf through the dessert section in a Mexican cookbook?

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Thank you all. This dessert is especially for a friend (dairy free & wheat free) and me (dairy free, oat free & rice free) which is certainly challenging! I am wondering about something along the lines of a cheesecake, with a polenta base, a topping based on tofu and laced heavily with ginger and a rhubarb topping, again laced with ginger. Last time I made a vegan chocolate ganache (Hugh Fearlessly Eatsitall had it on his website) which was very popular with everyone, regardless of allergies. I'll try a compote/cooked fruit salad another time though.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DaisyDaisy, interested in why you're oat and rice free - I can't have oats (but wheat is weirdly fine), but rice isn't an issue.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lemon or chocolate souffle with a brandied plum puree? You would have to oil the dish rather than use butter, almond oil would be nice if allergies permit.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
DaisyDaisy, interested in why you're oat and rice free - I can't have oats (but wheat is weirdly fine), but rice isn't an issue.

I am allergic to both oats and rice, in different categories. Oats has unpleasant side effects, rice is a total disaster. Shame really because I love both of them. Millet is a very good substitute for oats, and I have spaghetti with a home-made curry if I don't have naan in the house.

These are all lovely ideas and I'm looking forward to giving them a go - thank you all!

Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine is not a recipe query, but this is clearly the place where experienced cooks hang out. Has anyone any experience of using multisize cake tins ? Can anyone confirm or assuage my fears that cake mix would ooze out the bottom?
I'm planning to make madeira/pound cake for a tiered birthday cake, with a seaside theme.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've never used one, but I wouldn't have thought the risk is any greater than with a loose-bottomed cake tin. Just line it well and it should be fine.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How about this.

Lemon Angel Pie

4 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups whipping cream.

Beat 4 egg whites, gradually add 1 cup sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff, but not dry. Spread on bottom and sides of buttered 9 inch pie pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

Cool.

Take 4 egg yolks and beat slightly. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp. salt. Cook until thickened in microwave for 4 minutes (stir every 30 seconds) Cool.

Whip 2 cups whipping cream and fold 1/2 of whip cream into lemon mixture. Pour into cooled meringue shell. Top with the remaining whip cream. Chill for 24 hours.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops!

Sorry about that. I forgot you needed non-dairy as well as no oats, etc..

I wonder if you could substitute non-dairy whipped topping.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My stepmother does a nice pudding that's basically tinned apricot halves baked with a topping of crushed amaretti biscuits. (Quite possibly some alcohol too.). I think those biscuits are just almonds & sugar so shoud be ok.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
My stepmother does a nice pudding that's basically tinned apricot halves baked with a topping of crushed amaretti biscuits. (Quite possibly some alcohol too.). I think those biscuits are just almonds & sugar so shoud be ok.

I've done a similar thing with a less fancy topping of cornflakes, butter and sugar (and raisins in with the peaches, or pears if using them instead). Very tasty and cheap. Amaretti biscuits sound nicer! I think they are just sugar, almonds and egg white.

What about a pear crumble with the crumble mix made from ground almonds, cocoa powder, dairy-free margarine and sugar? Crumble mix doesn't need any kind of raising agent so I can't see why ground almonds wouldn't work. You can also get coconut flour from Holland & Barrett which I haven't tried but I bet would make a lovely crumble topping.

[ 10. January 2013, 12:43: Message edited by: Jade Constable ]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

More nice ideas to try.
I quite often substitute either tofu or soya "cream" for dairy cream, and also put cereal and/or fruit with a soya dessert (the long life ones are really handy).
I've begun a blog for all the recipes that I find and try out.

Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Regarding allergy free desserts and alternatives to oats: (sorry for late reply - only just read this).

For alternatives to oats, you might try buckwheat flakes which look fairly like rolled oats but have a nuttier flavour. Millet flakes are also available from some health food shops. I haven't actually tried them but I believe they could be used in a similar way to buckwheat flakes.

A popular and adaptable allergy free dessert in our house is a fruit crumble with our own topping. The topping goes roughly as follows

2 - 2 1/2 oz (60-80 g) buckwheat flakes
2 - 2 1/2 oz (60-80 g) polenta
3/4 oz (20 g) sugar
(if not allergic to nuts, add 1 oz (30g) ground almonds, other flours/ flakes which those eating the crumble are not allergic to can be added/substituted as desired)
handful of sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds
approximately 1 tablespoon mild vegetable/sunflower oil

Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre.

Pour in the oil, and mix in well with a fork, not a spoon, until the mixture clumps together like breadcrumbs. 1tbsp oil should be fine, but a little more can be added if required according to the absorbance of your dry ingredients.

Spread on top of stewed fruit and smooth with fork. Bake in oven at approx 180 C until lightly browned.

This recipe can be adapted to savoury crumbles by removing the sugar (and almonds if desired) and substituting herbs, mustard and/or cheese as desired or suitable for the diet required.

Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Thank you for this crumble recipe - I had no idea that buckwheat is gluten free, so i'll try this next time. I've not noticed buckwheat flakes in the shop that i go to though - I use millet flakes almost daily as porridge, and made a passable flapjack with it too.
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any ideas for left-over Christmas pudding? I have half a one in the freezer. (It's the first one I ever made and came out a bit tarter than I expected somehow, if that makes any difference...)
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Christmas pud truffles! Crumble, stir into standard chocolate truffle mix (chocolate and cream melted together and cooled), cool, roll into balls and dip into tempered chocolate. Half-dip in melted white chocolate and decorate with sprinkles so they look like little christmas puddings if you like.

Crumbled pudding stirred into readymade custard and frozen makes a nice ice cream as well.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Christmas pud truffles!

Ooh, that sounds good. I may have to try that.

Re: Christmas pud. Numerous Scottish friends inform me that leftover pud is delicious as part of a full fry up. No, really.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Aelred of Riveaux
Shipmate
# 12833

- Posted      Profile for Aelred of Riveaux     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Thank you for this crumble recipe - I had no idea that buckwheat is gluten free, so i'll try this next time. I've not noticed buckwheat flakes in the shop that i go to though - I use millet flakes almost daily as porridge, and made a passable flapjack with it too.

It has a misleading name! It is actually not a cereal but is related to rhubarb. Today's random fact!
Posts: 161 | From: Cambridge UK | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by UCCLynn:
I am going through some cookbooks of my mom's . In one that is a culinary history of a farmer's market, tnere is a recipe for a conord grape pie. I remember someone, possibly lutheranchik, looking for an amish grape pie recipe. I think this might be similar. This recipe is also germann heritage. If there is interest, I will post it (but not when i am limited to typing on my nook).

Btw, i enjoy the ideas here.
Lynn

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Aelred, thanks for the crumble recipe! Nuts are fine for me.

UK bakers, when an American recipe says to use applesauce what can you use instead? UK-style apple sauce doesn't seem like it would work. This is the recipe I want to make, if that helps.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I take 'applesauce' to be American for 'stewed apple', but with the addition of cinnamon and sugar. As I don't much like cinnamon or very sweet things I just use straight stewed apple.

The only problem is that of moisture content, as home-made can vary wildly according to the variety of apple. If using a commercially prepared sort it would always have the same amount of moisture.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Hitherto my ideas of what to do with smoked haddock (a common commodity in Scottish fishmongers) have begun and ended with kedgeree.

However I've just discovered something else -

Poach your haddie in milk.

Stew a finely chopped onion and ditto garlic in butter. When soft, sprinkle over a tbsp flour and add the milk from the fish, to make a thick sauce. Tip in a finely chopped chilli (I used Scotch Bonnet) and the zest (and/or juice) of a lime, some frozen peas and the fish.

Either make some shortcrust pastry adding a tsp of turmeric, or use ready made and fold in the turmeric.

Make up into either a pie, or individual pasties and bake about 30 mins.

[ 16. January 2013, 07:20: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds delicious Firenze.
I usually poach smoked haddock in milk and serve it on a bed of spinach (or more likely chard, from the garden) with a poached egg on top and maybe a couple of slices of bread and butter.

Pastry isn't allowed in my house at the moment, after a recent over-indulgence in mincepies, but when it is back on the menu I'm certainly having a go at your recipe

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Continuing the fishy theme, the fishmonger had cooked cod roe today, so I did my first ever homemade taramasalata.

It was very simple - just whizz up the roe, garlic and milk-soaked white breadcrumbs with olive oil and lemon juice to taste. Much nicer than the lurid pink and vinegary stuff you buy.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smoked haddock makes a mighty fine risotto too.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Poach your haddie in milk.

Who would cook it any other way? [Confused]

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
That sounds delicious Firenze.
I usually poach smoked haddock in milk and serve it on a bed of spinach (or more likely chard, from the garden) with a poached egg on top and maybe a couple of slices of bread and butter.

Slurp, slurp...

I remember sometime in my late 20s or maybe even early 30s coming across some smoked haddock in a shop and buying it and cooking it, and suddenly realising that that was the kind of fish my Mum used to often give us on Fridays when we were kids, that I hadn't ever come across elsewhere. Except that I didn't like it when I was young, but now I did, very much!

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:

That would be a fancy Italianite name for kedgeree? [Razz]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:

That would be a fancy Italianite name for kedgeree? [Razz]
Well, not quite. It doesn't have eggs or curry in it. And can have lots of other yummy things in it instead.

[ 16. January 2013, 19:07: Message edited by: Keren-Happuch ]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
I take 'applesauce' to be American for 'stewed apple', but with the addition of cinnamon and sugar. As I don't much like cinnamon or very sweet things I just use straight stewed apple.

The only problem is that of moisture content, as home-made can vary wildly according to the variety of apple. If using a commercially prepared sort it would always have the same amount of moisture.

Ooh, do you think a tin of apple pie filling would work?

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Ooh, do you think a tin of apple pie filling would work?

Have never used canned apple pie filling, so don't know what the consistency is. If it has firm lumps of apple in it you'd need to mash it down to something more like a pulp.

--------------------

marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosa Gallica officinalis:
Mine is not a recipe query, but this is clearly the place where experienced cooks hang out. Has anyone any experience of using multisize cake tins ? Can anyone confirm or assuage my fears that cake mix would ooze out the bottom?
I'm planning to make madeira/pound cake for a tiered birthday cake, with a seaside theme.

I have that tin! And I love it. I may even have wittered on about it on my cakey blog somewhere. As birdie says, just line it well. I tend to line is with just one big piece of greaseproof/baking paper (instead of separate pieces for sides & base).
The base has approx. 1cm lip on it anyway so as long as there is overlap between the base-piece and side-pieces of paper, it shouldn't leak too much unless your cake mix is very very runny, or you're making an upside down cake with syrup in the bottom or something.
I made my wedding cake with that cake tin and I don't think any mixture dripped out of the bottom.

Just a thought if you're making a tiered sponge cake - you'll have to cut off quite a bit from the top of each layer to make it flat (since sponge cakes rise more pointily than fruit ones), so use more mixture than you normally would or you might get a very short cake.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I take 'applesauce' to be American for 'stewed apple', but with the addition of cinnamon and sugar.

A little sugar may be found in most commercial north american applesauce, but cinnamon is almost never included. Homemade applesauce, which would be just as expected as commercial in a recipe, contains as much or as little sugar as you choose.

Most "organic" applesauce one buys is sugar free, I believe.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
I take 'applesauce' to be American for 'stewed apple', but with the addition of cinnamon and sugar.

A little sugar may be found in most commercial north american applesauce, but cinnamon is almost never included. Homemade applesauce, which would be just as expected as commercial in a recipe, contains as much or as little sugar as you choose.

John

The problem is that UK apple sauce is made with cooking apples, which are sour (like very large crab apples). A sugar free version of that would be mouth-puckeringly sour!

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:

John

The problem is that UK apple sauce is made with cooking apples, which are sour (like very large crab apples). A sugar free version of that would be mouth-puckeringly sour!

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To add to the confusion, applesauce is what the French refer to as "compôte".

It is absurdly easy to make yourself (and much, much tastier than the sort you buy in a jar). To wit:

Peel and chop apples. Put them in a big pan. Add as much or little sugar as you wish (I use slightly sharp apples and don't add any sugar). A little bit of vanilla makes it extra yummy. Add a tiny bit of water to start it off and put it on the stove with a lid on. Once it's bubbling turn the heat down and leave it to cook down for about half an hour. Once all the apple is broken down, use a stick blender to mushify it. You can make a completely smooth purée but personally that says nothing to me so much as "babyfood" so I tend to leave it a bit lumpy.

This works with various kinds of fruit - apple-strawberry is very nice, rhubarb, apricots and peaches also work well, but need more sugar. If you make a fairly large quantity, it freezes well.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:

The apples I use for cooking are Bramleys, which cook down to a very moist fluff. I never add sugar if it is just for the family. We also used Bramleys as 'eaters' - back in the day when we had several Bramley trees.
If the fruit is left to ripen on the tree it becomes perfectly acceptable for eating raw.
Goodness know why they are come to market so green

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

The apples I use for cooking are Bramleys, which cook down to a very moist fluff. I never add sugar if it is just for the family. We also used Bramleys as 'eaters' - back in the day when we had several Bramley trees.
If the fruit is left to ripen on the tree it becomes perfectly acceptable for eating raw.
Goodness know why they are come to market so green

I'm afraid I could never have Bramleys without sugar, and I don't even consider myself to have a particularly sweet tooth (I don't have sugar in my tea and don't like chocolate-flavoured things, just chocolate itself)!

--------------------

UCCLynn
Apprentice
# 16633

- Posted      Profile for UCCLynn   Email UCCLynn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To Jade Constable's question re applesauce, I think you have many options beyond making applesauce, etc. I see that the recipe is "low-fat." Frequently when making baked good recipes lower in fat, applesauce is substituted for cooking oil. If you don't have something like applesauce or don't feel inclined to make it, you could put in an equivalent amount of canola or other cooking oil. Or, you could put in something else that adds moisture but no or little fat. I have often used a nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt instead of applesauce in recipes, esp where there is already baking soda. In fact, my favorite banana bread recipe calls for a significant amount of yogurt for precisely that purpose.

Feel free to experiment! At the small level of applesauce required, you won't taste the apple (or the yogurt or oil)!

Posts: 27 | From: Central Illinois, USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016