homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I accidentally made a rather tasty tomato-lentil soup this evening out of stuff found in the cupboard. Thought it was worth sharing in case anyone else finds themselves in possession of a few lentils, a tin of tomatoes and not much else.

(Though I will say the amazing smoked bacon was a lucky find - I wouldn't normally have such a thing hanging around in the fridge and the soup wouldn't have been nearly as good without it.)

Tomato Lentil Soup

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very timely recipe, Yangtze. I made it as a soup-in-a-hurry today for unexpected visitors. Added extra water and a stock cube to bring it up to a litre, but forgot the garlic [Eek!] but it was still delicious and gave us four mugs full.
Thank you!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Fifteen or twenty pounds.

Ah. I think I eat about four times as many as that! About half way through my second 4-kilo bag of this year.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone on here have experience of roasting and preserving red peppers? I bought a big bag of something called "ancient sweets" the other day (mostly because they were all red, which I use for making red-pepper jelly). They look like giant red chillies, but when I made a batch of jelly with them today I tasted a bit of one and it didn't seem to pack too much heat.

My plan was to preserve the rest as "roasted red peppers", possibly in olive oil, but my searches on the interweb haven't been very encouraging. Will they keep in mason jars if covered? Should I add flavourings? Can they be cooked as normal after preserving? Or should I just cut my losses and freeze them?

BTW, Yangtze, your lentil and tomato soup looks delicious - a bit like a spicy version of one I made a while ago that I called "BLT" - bacon, lentil and tomato - which was really rather good.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
A very timely recipe, Yangtze. I made it as a soup-in-a-hurry today for unexpected visitors. Added extra water and a stock cube to bring it up to a litre, but forgot the garlic [Eek!] but it was still delicious and gave us four mugs full.
Thank you!

Wow, someone made my recipe, that's so cool. Glad it worked for you.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am currently having adventures in veganism, which is making me think much harder about what I eat and turning up some fun surprises.

This morning I made porridge with coconut milk (1 cup oats, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 1/2 cups water plus I added some dried fruit). It needs quite a lot of sweetening but after that is much more interesting and tasty than normal porridge I think.

Another really delicious thing I made a couple of days ago -

Slice 1 onion and grate a bit of ginger. Soften for about five minutes in a bit of vegetable oil.

Add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric and 3/4 tsp garam masala. You could also add more chili depending on how hot your masala is (mine blows your head off so I didn't add any more). Fry for a minute or so.

Add 4 chopped tomatoes and 2 tsp tomato purée. Cook down another couple of minutes.

Rinse and drain 1 large can of chickpeas, then throw them in the pan. Add 300 ml water. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

At the last minute add 200g spinach to wilt.

It's a bit time-consuming but not very hard and really tasty.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That reminds me of a Madhur Jaffrey recipe which I've been making on and off for years. It's chickpeas simmered with spices and tomato pretty much as yours, but at the end tip in half a cupful of raw chopped onion, green chilli and lemon juice.

Today is one of those clear the fridge days, so it's going to be waaaay too much chilli burger.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My long term culinary mission is to make a dessert called Charlotte Russe, which looks like this. One lines the bottom of a pan with slices of raspberry jelly roll, the sides with lady fingers, and then fills the middle with Bavarian cream.

I have had to learn how to make every step of the process. The first part I tackled was the jelly roll. That part was easy.

The lady fingers are the most frustrating thing I have ever tried to make in my life. I heard somewhere that the final exam at French pastry schools is to make lady fingers. I can see why.

I have been working away with Saint Julia's recipe, though I add a little cream of tartar to the whites to stabilize the meringue and bake them a little longer. When done right, they are delicately crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. They rise in the oven and form the ruffle along the bottom edge that fancy people call a "foot." My first 5 batches were miserable failures. I got flat, floppy little sponge cakes, and while they tasted fine, ladyfingers are all about the texture. And if I tried to make a Charlotte out of those, they would have gotten soggy.

After six tries, I have finally made a batch of passable lady fingers. God willing, I can make a few batches with consistent results. Then, on to the Bavarian cream...

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My query is, Zach: What do you do with the failures? Do they get eaten? Tossed? Given to the birds?

I wonder this on The Great British Bakeoff when things go disastrously wrong. There seems to be such wastage...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made this yesterday to use up the last bits of meat from a ready-cooked chicken (after making stock and soup with the bones).

Piglet's Chicken and Tomato Pasta Serves 2

1 onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
Olive oil
Salt, pepper, ½ tsp each dried basil and oregano
2 small red peppers (I used the Ancient Sweets I mentioned last week), seeded and chopped
14-oz tin tomatoes
Generous squirt of tomato puree
4 or 5 large white mushrooms, halved and thickly sliced
About 6-8 oz cooked chicken
About 6 oz of pasta*

Heat the oil in a large saucepan or small casserole and sauté the onion and garlic along with the seasonings and herbs. Add the peppers, tomatoes, tomato puree and mushrooms and bring to a bubble, breaking up the tomatoes if they're not already chopped. Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce thickens. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente, adding a couple of tablespoons of the pasta cooking water into the sauce. Stir the chicken into the sauce and allow to heat through. Drain the pasta and stir it into the sauce and serve on hot plates.

Vegetarian option: leave out the chicken. [Big Grin]

* I used spaghetti, as it was what I had in the larder, but I think the sauce would cling better to penne or rigatoni..

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Any of you living on the chillier fringes of civilisation got any reindeer recipes?

I bought some steaks (more chunks really) from Lidl, which are currently lying around in oil, garlic, juniper berries and port. The gameplan is to fry them and serve with pan juices/more port - maybe orange juice? Red currant jelly?

Any ideas (that don't involve lingonberries preferably)?

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd have thought that venison recipes would work well here and probably be a straight swop. Hopefully, the pieces wouldn't be too tough. (If you were to cut one of them would it slice very easily (= pan-fry) or be a bit of an effort (= braise)?)
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Redcurrant jelly would be good, I often add it to my venison casseroles.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cherry and venison are another classic combo.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been making a Spanish dish of chickpeas with spinach as part of tomorrow's packed lunch for work. You need some chopped onions and garlic, which you fry in a little olive oil, then throw in some smoked paprika, then tomato puree, followed by wine vinegar (I used cider) and some vegetable stock. Add your pre-cooked chickpeas and stir together. Then a touch of ground cumin, which should add a pleasing note of earthiness, followed by the spinach leaves. Cook those until they wilt, stir all together, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve. It should be mostly, or half green, so you might need a fair bit of spinach. A squeeze of lemon as you serve it doesn't come amiss either.

Things to do with aubergines (for WW):

I generally slice them, brush the slices with oil then grill them. Just make a sauce to go over them:

a) garlic, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt and chilli powder, cook until reduced nicely, then add some chopped flat-leaf parsley.

b) yoghurt (the thick kind). It's also nice with a touch of garlic and/or mint mixed into it.

c) garlic, crushed root ginger, cumin, chillies, honey, lemon and enough water to make a sauce. You can bake the sliced aubergines in this sauce as well.

ETA I did once have stir-fried aubergines in a Chinese sauce which worked really well - "sea spice" sauce I think it was.

[ 17. March 2013, 15:37: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The reindeer was good. Sauce as outlined with the addition of some crumbled beef stock cube for savouriness. If you are near a Lidl, 2 good helpings for 7.99, very lean and quite tender.

Tonight is fridge-clearing and has to involve pork steaks, potatoes and Parmesan - exactly how yet to be determined.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Things to do with aubergines (for WW):

I generally slice them, brush the slices with oil then grill them. Just make a sauce to go over them:

a) garlic, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt and chilli powder, cook until reduced nicely, then add some chopped flat-leaf parsley.

b) yoghurt (the thick kind). It's also nice with a touch of garlic and/or mint mixed into it.

c) garlic, crushed root ginger, cumin, chillies, honey, lemon and enough water to make a sauce. You can bake the sliced aubergines in this sauce as well.

ETA I did once have stir-fried aubergines in a Chinese sauce which worked really well - "sea spice" sauce I think it was.

I don't know if the cheese in India will be a good substitute, but the classic Aubergine and Mozzarella might be another possibility. This is one of a hundred recipes.

btw, stir fry, with garlic, ginger and chili works with almost anything! We haven't tried it with cardboard, but suspect it might be better than some genuine recipes!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A very simple recipe for a cold or warm salad.

Peel eggplant. You can leave on a little of the peel. Cut in to small cubes.
Put in pan, add olive oil, salt and pureed or smashed fresh peeled garlic.

Roast in oven for a half hour. Adjust oil and salt to taste. Serve warm or lukewarm or refrigerate overnight, garnish with parsley and serve.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
More adventures in veganism, and also 'things that are absurdly easy and turn out to be really, really tasty':

Put 400g mango in a bowl with one small carton of creamed coconut, the juice of one lemon and a bit of sugar. Blitz with a blitzer to make a smooth cream.

Put a spoonful in your mouth. Fall on the floor from how yummy it is.

I'm thinking that if you replaced the lemon with lime it might be even more heavenly still.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
The reindeer was good. Sauce as outlined with the addition of some crumbled beef stock cube for savouriness. If you are near a Lidl, 2 good helpings for 7.99, very lean and quite tender.

Tonight is fridge-clearing and has to involve pork steaks, potatoes and Parmesan - exactly how yet to be determined.

Parmo? (an interesting story on regional food)
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Parmo? (an interesting story on regional food)

Interesting, if a trifle quease-making. Why go to the trouble of crisp-frying something to douse it in gloop?

I ended up with a potato and Parmesan gratin. The pork I braised with red onion and a small amount of dry vermouth. Finished the sauce with more d.v., pork stock and creme fraiche. And very good it was.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Why go to the trouble of crisp-frying something to douse it in gloop?

Its like the strange australian habit of smothering their pies in the mushy peas so what little crust they have breaks up like wet cardboard. Why would you?

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
Slice 1 onion and grate a bit of ginger. Soften for about five minutes in a bit of vegetable oil.

Add 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp turmeric and 3/4 tsp garam masala. You could also add more chili depending on how hot your masala is (mine blows your head off so I didn't add any more). Fry for a minute or so.

Add 4 chopped tomatoes and 2 tsp tomato purée. Cook down another couple of minutes.

Rinse and drain 1 large can of chickpeas, then throw them in the pan. Add 300 ml water. Simmer for about 30 minutes.

At the last minute add 200g spinach to wilt.

If you took away the spinach (a bit posh) that's poretty much your basic Broke Student Curry. Most often with potatoes as well of course.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Parmos sound shamefully tasty. And the texture of something crispy doused in sauce is so different to something doused in sauce with no frying first! It's the difference between dipping a hot crispy chip into the yolk of a perfect fried egg, and eating a fried egg with mash.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
From Ken:

"Its like the strange australian habit of smothering their pies in the mushy peas so what little crust they have breaks up like wet cardboard. Why would you? "

Harry's Cafe de Wheels is just about the only place in Sydney I think you'll find that. It's popular in Adelaide. Then again, they eat it at Rules games - enough said.

A variation on the chickpea recipe - very easy. It used be served at a Lebanese restaurant not far from home, now alas changed hands. Quantities are very flexible.

Soaked and cooked black-eye beans
Onions and garlic
Olive oil
Spinach or silver beet (i.e. Swiss chard)
Cumin

Cook your onions slowly in the oil. Wash and wilt the spinach. When the onions are caramelised and just about to burn, add chopped garlic and a bit of cumin or your choice of spice (ground coriander seeds are good). Stir around a bit, then toss in the beans and spinach, stirring rapidly for a few more minutes until it's all heated through. Serve hot on hot rice, or cold on cold rice. In a hurry, you could use a drained can of chickpeas or other beans.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm making goulash for tomorrow and looking for something interesting to do with cabbage and or broccoli as a side dish... Any suggestions?

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My favourite ways of dealing with both cabbage and broccoli come from the original Delia Smith books from the 1970s.

Cabbage: Slice cabbage thinly. Heat a little butter and oil in a large saucepan and add a chopped onion; cook over medium heat until beginning to be translucent. Add a crushed clove of garlic and six crushed juniper berries and the cabbage, and stir to get it all nicely coated. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes until the cabbage is almost cooked but still with bite. Dot with a little more butter, let it melt in and serve. My own variation: intensify the juniper flavour with a tablespoon of GIN halfway through the cooking time.

Broccoli: Break the broccoli into small florets. Again, start by cooking a chopped onion in oil and butter, this time in a frying-pan. Add a crushed clove of garlic and a teaspoon or two of crushed coriander seeds, stirring to coat them. Turn the heat up and add the broccoli*, season with salt and pepper and stir-fry until bright green and still a bit crunchy, melting in a little more butter at the end.

* The original of this recipe used cauliflower, but it's very nice with broccoli or a mixture of the two.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
I'm making goulash for tomorrow and looking for something interesting to do with cabbage and or broccoli as a side dish... Any suggestions?

Cabbage and bacon soup for a starter is a good, wintery dish.

Broccoli is easy. Cut into bite-sized pieces, then peel the stem and cut up as well. Warm oil in a pan, then throw in the broccoli when it's screaming hot. Sprinkle with salts, and stir fry until well browned. Add about a half cup of water, cover, and let steam until the water evaporates.

[ 22. March 2013, 03:51: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I feel a deep sense of satisfaction from making this!

It needs a lot of tidying up before it comes out in public, but I got a real buzz from getting it to work first time.

As for aubergines... Madhur Jaffrey has two smashing recipes, especially the one fried with salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. She calls it Tala hua baigan (fried aubergine slices).

You do have Indian cookbooks out there, don't you? [Razz]

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
I feel a deep sense of satisfaction from making this!

So you should. [Overused] We love Battenburg cake but we've never seen it in the shops here, and I've never had the nerve to try it.

Very impressed piglet.

--------------------

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just posting to record a minor baking triumph: I have finally cracked the banana cake! After years of stodgy and sunken efforts (though still delicious), I adapted an inadequate recipe from an old Scottish Woman's Rural Institute, and it worked. The end result is light and flat-topped, and thoroughly scrummy.

So for those with a glut of uneaten bananas, here it is. I used a hand-held mixer throughout.

quote:
Grease and line the bottom of a 9 inch cake tin. Heat oven to 180C. Beat together 4oz soft butter with 8oz sugar until pale in colour and fluffy. Add 2 large eggs and beat together. Add 5 small overripe bananas and 1 tsp vanilla essense, and beat until the mixture is smooth. Sift in 9oz self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Beat together until smooth, then pour the mixture into the cake tin. Bake for 20 minutes, then cover with tin foil or greaseproof paper to stop the top burning, and bake for a further 15-20 minutes.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Ack too late! But this salad is tasty:

Tassajara Warm Cabbage Salad

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cottontail, try this recipe for banana cake. I've never had a failure. The bananas indicated in the recipe would be large Cavendish which are the standard supermarket variety here. This recipe is even more popular when I add dark choc chips,which don't melt completely but go lovely and gooey.
Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I serve cabbage stir-fried with salted peanuts, and occasionally add a light white sauce.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In the end I did a big tray of roasted vegetables, including the cabbage and broc. Timings need tweaking but it was very tasty. Thanks for all the suggestions.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know you've already eaten your cabbage, but I do like a big pot of potato and cabbage (plus whatever veg needs using up) with slices of smoked sausage. Smoked bacon or ham is also good, instead of sausage. No real recipe, just cabbage, potato, onion and other seasonings (I usually add garlic, bay leaves, juniper and mace) cooked in stock and blended if wanted (I blend it a little but not so much to lose texture) and add meat of choice. Very comforting on cold days, and nice with some crunchy croutons or toast.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
. No real recipe, just cabbage, potato, onion

That and the bacon, you're talking Irish soul food.

Tonight I'm thinking cod in a light wine/creme fraiche sauce topped with seared scallop and crispy bacon.

Tomorrow, roast lamb + roast everything else and red wine jus.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

quote:
In the end I did a big tray of roasted vegetables, including the cabbage and broc.

Ooh, I was going to suggest roasting the broccoli but would never have thought about roasting cabbage. How did you cut it? Big wedges? Shredded?.....?

And for next time here's a recipe for Best Broccoli Of Your Life. I have made it and it is indeed goooooooood.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I've bookmarked that...

One thing I discovered a while back is that the long-cook recipes you get for red cabbage work with white as well (all cabbage should be cooked for either less than 4 minutes or more than 40).

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Would it be possible to freeze cookie dough until I need to bake the cookies?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Would it be possible to freeze cookie dough until I need to bake the cookies?

Yes. I have an oatmeal cookie recipe that has you roll the dough into logs, freeze them, and then slice off bits to put on the cookie sheet. Works like a charm!

Now a question from me. I'm planning on making some quiches for a brunch party, and I've never made quiche, so all suggestions are welcome. I've noticed that some recipes have you pre-bake the pie shell for 10 minutes or so before pouring in the filling and baking it, while other recipes don't require it. As far as I can tell, there's no difference between the recipes that require pre-baking the crust and those that don't.

The easy answer is, "Just follow the recipe!" But why pre-bake the crust? I'm curious as to why there's a difference and if it's important.

[ 12. April 2013, 00:43: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I've never made pastry, but from what I've read and seen on cookery shows on TV, the reason for blind-baking is to create a crusty surface to stop a wet filling from making the pastry go soggy, which seems to make sense.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The wet filling can prevent the pastry from cooking properly.

I don't have this problem with quiche but I do initially use a hot oven (and preferably a metal pie dish) to ensure that enough heat gets through to cook the (puff) pastry.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

St Delia claims that simply pricking a pie crust with a fork is enough to prevent soggy pastry as it lets steam escape - I prick the crust before baking it blind just to make sure anyway.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wouldn't that be the pastry cover on a pie, not the base?

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I make a quiche using puff pastry, I always prick the bottom, cover with baking paper, fill with baking beans and bake for 10 minutes before adding the filling, because if I don't I find the base goes all puffy too and it comes out looking odd. With shortcrust pastry it depends on how much time I have, my inclination on the day etc. But I've not noticed a particularly soggy bottom ensuing!

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

I blind bake pastry bases to prevent sogginess, we keep a jar of dried beans for the purpose.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Dormouse

# 5954

If anyone's interested I have blogged a recipe for white chocolate and ginger cheesecake. It is very yummy...you can find it on blog 2 in my signature

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

That sounds fab, Dormouse, will check it out.

--------------------
Nea Fox

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need vegetarian ideas. We have friends coming over in a couple of weeks for Sunday dinner - in my head I had planned a big roast but realised this morning that one guest is vegetarian. We are fairly carnivorous in this household and I don't have many vegetarian main courses in my repertoire.

I'd be interested to hear people's vegetarian main course favourites, and maybe extend my range a bit!

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What type of vegetarian? If they eat eggs and cheese, it should be easy. If they are vegan, you will need some special recipes.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016