homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been catering for a veggie relative and decided to make this lentil, bulgar wheat and aubergine pilaf into a shepherd's pie with sweet potato mash. The pilaf sounds a bit knit-your-own-museli school of veggie cooking, but it's really very tasty.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What are you planning for the rest of the meal? I'm guessing the veggie will want the roast potatoes, veg, yorkshire puds too so it should be something that goes with that. Just speaking from experience, my mum is vegetarian and when people do Sunday roasts she's much happier having everything everyone else is having except the meat, just with an extra yorkshire pudding or two and more stuffing (bread stuffing of course). YMMV of course but I would ask the veggie guest if there's anything they usually have at a Sunday lunch instead of the meat.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Just speaking from experience, my mum is vegetarian and when people do Sunday roasts she's much happier having everything everyone else is having except the meat, just with an extra yorkshire pudding or two and more stuffing (bread stuffing of course).

When I do a roast, I usually do the potatoes in fat from the meat, and lard or dripping for the yorkshire puds. Oh, and everything with lashings of (meat) gravy. It's not a very veggie-friendly meal in my house [Smile]

I'd far rather produce a meal that all my guests could eat, rather than do a single portion of something special for the oddball. It doesn't always work, but singling a guest out with a special individual nut cutlet or something feels a bit odd.

I've made this spinach and ricotta cannelloni before, and it's pretty good. I tend to think a single pasta dish is a bit dull, so I'd do another one - maybe a spicy tomato / aubergine bake with fusilli. Green salad, garlic bread - bake fresh bread if you can, a couple of bottles of something decent and red, and something rich and chocolatey for pudding.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think a not too difficult option to accommodate vegetarians is to have a veggie casserole that may be used as a main dish for the vegetarians and as a side for the omnivores. Both groups could also eat another starchy side like potatoes or rice. Examples: Summer Squash Casserole or Broccoli and Cauliflower Casserole for veggies and/or main dish plus Garlic Roasted Potatoes. Omnivores may have less of the veggie dishes and an added chop or cutlet.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Just speaking from experience, my mum is vegetarian and when people do Sunday roasts she's much happier having everything everyone else is having except the meat, just with an extra yorkshire pudding or two and more stuffing (bread stuffing of course).

When I do a roast, I usually do the potatoes in fat from the meat, and lard or dripping for the yorkshire puds. Oh, and everything with lashings of (meat) gravy. It's not a very veggie-friendly meal in my house [Smile]

I'd far rather produce a meal that all my guests could eat, rather than do a single portion of something special for the oddball. It doesn't always work, but singling a guest out with a special individual nut cutlet or something feels a bit odd.

I've made this spinach and ricotta cannelloni before, and it's pretty good. I tend to think a single pasta dish is a bit dull, so I'd do another one - maybe a spicy tomato / aubergine bake with fusilli. Green salad, garlic bread - bake fresh bread if you can, a couple of bottles of something decent and red, and something rich and chocolatey for pudding.

Lol, I guess we're shown up as an Aunt Bessie's household then! [Big Grin]

If everyone likes curry, then why not have a thali? Very veggie-friendly and it feels special.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The vegetarian half of my family usually have for their Sunday lunch a selection of roasted root veg and Yorkshire puddings, cooked in vegetable oil rather than animal fats. Plus greens of course. We don't eat much meat, so when they come here it is no problem for me to do the same, although I usually do some sort of nut/seed/pulse based roast or bake as well, and a vegetarian gravy (often of the 'instant' variety).
Should the more carnivorous half of the family be with us I add a small joint of meat, plus the appropriate gravy, to the menu - they don't seem to notice the absence of animal fat in the roast veg.
I've been doing this for years, and it really is no more trouble than doing the normal full Sunday Roast.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks people, this is helpful stuff.

I think I might just do the roast, while keeping the meat to one pan so M can enjoy the roast veg, and do an alternative to the meat for her. I make a mean onion and cheese tart type thing which is pretty hearty and could hold its own with the accompaniments, if you see what I mean.

Just need to make sure I have enough oven space...

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Cheese and onion tart sounds good! My local chain pub offers a cauliflower cheese tart as the veggie option in their Sunday lunch specials, and it goes well with the other things. Yum!

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tend to do masses of roast veg anyway along with the meat - cauliflower, swede, parsnips, onions, mushrooms, garlic, carrots, potatoes, etc, etc.

Stuffed mushrooms or aubergines would be nice too. Tomatoes as well...

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
What are you planning for the rest of the meal? I'm guessing the veggie will want the roast potatoes, veg, yorkshire puds too so it should be something that goes with that. Just speaking from experience, my mum is vegetarian and when people do Sunday roasts she's much happier having everything everyone else is having except the meat, just with an extra yorkshire pudding or two and more stuffing (bread stuffing of course). YMMV of course but I would ask the veggie guest if there's anything they usually have at a Sunday lunch instead of the meat.

Jade - puddings, potatoes and then bread stuffing!!!! And remember that all these will have to be kept away from the meat, so nothing to flavour the stuffing or puddings.

You will need to provide some protein, so how about making a small lentil or chickpea bake, using some rice as the binder, and getting good flavour from some fried onions and fresh herbs? Then the same vegetables the others will have, but not much extra starch beyond the rice, and not cooked in the same dish as the meat.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could you expand on what is in a lentil or chickpea bake? Thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

One I like to make starts with red lentils boiled until they are soft and have absorbed all the water - takes about 15-20 minutes. Add breadcrumbs, grated cheese, chopped chilli, onion (chopped and pre-softened), seasoning: bind with a beaten egg, put in a dish, more cheese on top, bake for about 25 minutes.

Effectively the lentils (or chickpeas) are a soft and fairly neutral medium into which you introduce other ingredients to give the texture and flavour you want.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To make it very easily, put a drained can of chickpeas or lentils into a food processor with some herbs, fried onion, pepper and salt (if you use it) , an egg, chopped garlic and perhaps a bit of tomato juice. Add some cooked rice if you have any around, or some breadcrumbs. Whiz it until it is well blended but not a drink. Put into a dish, sprinkle with more breadcrumbs and cook while the meat's cooking. Let it cool for 5 minutes or so before upending it and slicing.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:

One I like to make starts with red lentils boiled until they are soft and have absorbed all the water - takes about 15-20 minutes. Add breadcrumbs, grated cheese, chopped chilli, onion (chopped and pre-softened), seasoning: bind with a beaten egg, put in a dish, more cheese on top, bake for about 25 minutes.

That sounds good - mentally filed away for future reference, thanks!

--------------------
Nea Fox

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

Jade - puddings, potatoes and then bread stuffing!!!! And remember that all these will have to be kept away from the meat, so nothing to flavour the stuffing or puddings.

You will need to provide some protein, so how about making a small lentil or chickpea bake, using some rice as the binder, and getting good flavour from some fried onions and fresh herbs? Then the same vegetables the others will have, but not much extra starch beyond the rice, and not cooked in the same dish as the meat.

The stuffing has flavour of its own! I wasn't aware that yorkshire puds needed flavouring...

But then my mum is quite happy with carbs and veg, so this is just our household. Since we only use frozen roasties and yorkshire puds and cook the stuffing separately anyway, keeping them away from the meat has never been a big deal for us.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Many thanks for the responses upthread to my query about pre-baking the crust for a quiche. I made three quiches for the brunch and followed the directions for each: some had blind-baking the crust and some didn't. And yes, there was a difference, with the prebaked crusts being less soggy!

I made a traditional quiche Lorraine, a spinach and feta quiche, and our favorite was Martha Stewart's cheddar and broccoli quiche. I added a little chopped red pepper for extra color and flavor. It was great!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Since we only use frozen roasties and yorkshire puds

My word. I didn't know such things existed until today. Thank you Jade - i have learned something new.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Since we only use frozen roasties and yorkshire puds

My word. I didn't know such things existed until today. Thank you Jade - i have learned something new.
Haha! They may not exist in the US but they are common in the UK.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For lunch on Easter Day we had a fabulous piece of pork - not traditional, I know, but... and it had just enough fat to make decent crackling.

TIP 1: Try starting pork in the microwave (80% power) for 10 minutes before roasting for the remainder; reduces shrinkage and meat retains more moisture without being under-cooked.

TIP 2: If you can't get the skin to crackle take it all off the joint: put on a rack with tin under in hot (c230 C) oven for 5 minutes then finish under a hot grill.

Delicious. [Smile]

Two questions for all these veggies:
1. How can you eat gravy since its made with meat juices?
2. I cook veggie for you when you come to dinner so why don't you offer me meat?
Just asking... [Confused]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

1. Vegetarians will use vegetarian gravy, either instant or made with veg stock and seasonings.

2. Vegetarians do not eat meat and so will have nothing to eat if vegetarian options aren't provided, but meat eaters are perfectly capable of eating vegetarian food! Most meat eaters won't eat meat at every meal. Humans are not obligate carnivores.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Omnivore, rather than carnivore, to be accurate.

The mention of gravy though may have solved a current problem: how to make Sunday's chicken into a tasty pie filling for tonight. The normal bechamel thing isn't appealing, but it strikes me an onion gravy, with a little extra spicing, could work nicely.

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The alternative would be a tin of Campbells condensed soup as your base (chicken or mushroom according to preference) and you can lob in ham/gammon/leek/mushroom as you choose if you want to pimp your chicken.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

An entirely workable idea: but the original roast was a Sicilian recipe using orange, lemon and ginger - so I'm thinking that would marry better with onion and a dash of the North African spicing.
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The perils of making suggestions when you don't have all the relevant information [Biased]

Mind you, Silician chicken with orange lemon & ginge sounds extremely scrummy - care to share the recipe?

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

As I recall it goes -

Grate the zest of a lemon, an orange and a cube of fresh ginger into a bowl. Add the juice, a tbsp of honey and a tbsp of olive oil. Bung some of the squeezed halves of fruit into the chicken. Baste with some of the mix. Roast for a bit. Baste some more. Rinse and repeat.

Pour off the juices into a small saucepan, skim the oil/fat, maybe add a little more fresh juice or a crumble of chicken stock to taste.

It goes well with a sweetish vegetable like carrots or squash or sweet potato, and couscous.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes. I think I may have a North Africa recipe for something like this, that involves citrus, ground almonds, spices, onions and is sweet and sour. Not sure if it would work in a pie (I'd have to have a look when I get home and see if it looks adaptable) but it was one of those things I couldn't stop eating.

It reminded me a bit of medieval cooking so actually it might well work in a pie.

(As thou wottest wel, muche may bee putte in a Pye.)

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been wittering in All Saints about the tablet I made for the Cathedral sale, so here's the recipe:

Piglet's Scottish Tablet

750g granulated sugar
⅓ cup cold milk
About 100g butter, cut in small bits
1 x 300g can sweetened condensed milk

You also need:
A large, heavy (not non-stick) saucepan or casserole (I used a 24-cm cast-iron one)
A wooden spoon and a teaspoon
A saucer for testing consistency and as a spoon-rest
A tumbler of cold water
A baking-sheet 13" x 9", lined with foil that's been generously buttered (I use cooking-spray)

Put the sugar in the pan, wet it with the milk and add the butter and condensed milk. Heat over a medium-high heat, stirring steadily, until it comes to the boil. If you start to get dark brown bits, don't worry, it's just starting to caramelise - lower the heat a bit and keep stirring.

When it comes to the boil (it should take about 10 minutes), turn the heat down to low and let it bubble, stirring occasionally to stop it sticking. It will increase a lot in volume, hence the need for a large pan. I usually set a timer for 18 minutes from when it comes to the boil, which gives a nice pale, golden fudge colour.

At this point take a teaspoonful of the mixture and dip it in the glass of water; when you lift it out let it drip on to the saucer. If it falls slowly off the spoon it's ready for the next stage.

Remove the pan from the heat, and stir vigorously for about a minute, trying to scrape down the crystallised bits.

Pour the mixture into the prepared baking sheet (the bits that are left should be scraped onto the saucer for quality control purposes [Biased] ). Leave it to set until the mixture is solid, but with a little bit of "give". Mark out squares with a pointy knife dipped in hot water, then put it in the fridge for about another half-hour to an hour. Invert it on to a board, peel away the foil then set it right-way up and cut it into squares (if you get the timing right, it'll break into squares like chocolate).

PS Don't tell your dentist. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

What about your GP and dietician?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Don't tell them either. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something for those people who don't like measuring things out. Everything comes ready sized.

Veggy Tacos. (Serves 2)

1 400g tin or packet of chopped tomatoes.
1 400g tin of canellini beans or red kidney bean.
1 medium onion - chopped, but nor too finr
1 large carrot - coarsely grated.
4 taco shells
130g of cheddar cheese - grated, (I use about athird of a 400g supermarket block
1 small carton of plain yoghurt.
about 1 teaspoon of chilli powder (to taste)
small pinch of salt
enough vegetable oil to generously coat the bottom of a saucepan.
Optional: a few cumin seeds and a few chilli flakes.

Toast the cumin seeds and chilli flakes in the saucepan and then crush them.

To the empty pan add the oil and return the cumin seeds and chilli flakes, heat till the oil turns yellow.

Add the onion and carrot, stir whilst heating till the onion is clear. Add the tomatoes and chilli and salt.
Reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Add the drained beans. Simmer for a further 20 minutes.

Whilst it is cooking mix two thirds of the cheese with the yoghurt

Remove the pan from the heat.

Coat the bottom of a casserole dish with the tomato/bean mixture, fill 4 taco shells with more of the mixture and place in the casserole dish.
Cover the tacos with the rest of the mixture.
On top of this put the cheese/yoghurt mixture, then the rest of the cheese.
Place under a grill until the cheese melts and is turning brown.

Serve. 2 taco shells per person.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Following the discussion in All Saints of family meals, here are some recipes:

Fish pie
Ingredients (serves 2 hungry adults and 1 5-year-old):
Fish pie mix
Frozen king prawns
4 hard-boiled eggs
Mashed potato (quantity depending on how hungry you are, I used about 2lb potatoes and a dash of milk)
1 heaped tbsp corn flour
3/4 pint milk
2 oz grated mature cheddar

Spread one packet of fish pie mix in the bottom of a large oven-proof dish with half a packet (about 110g) of frozen king prawns and four sliced hard-boiled eggs.

Put the cornflour in a bowl and make a paste with a little milk. Boil the rest of the milk with a bay leaf and a little salt and pepper. When the milk boils up, pour it onto the cornflour and whisk hard till it thickens (removing the bay leaf!).

Pour over the fish mixture and top with the mash and cheese.

Bake for half an hour or so at gas 6/180 C (fan) until the cheese is golden and the fish cooked.

You can make a proper white sauce if you'd rather.

tuna bolognaise bake
tuna bolognaise bake: Make a bolognaise sauce, but with a tin of tuna instead of the mince, boil some pasta and mix the two together along with any veg, e.g. sweetcorn or broccoli you want to get in there. Top with grated cheese (and breadcrumbs if you have any handy) and bake in the oven for 20 mins or so until it's nice and bubbly on top.

Pastitio
Much the same as the above but with mince, or today I used shredded leftover roast lamb. Seasoned with cinnamon for the Greek effect. Layer cooked macaroni or penne pasta and meat and top with a thick cheese sauce and grated cheese.

Highly inauthentic and apologies to any Greek shipmates but chuffed to bits because KGlet1 ate 4 helpings of this today when he's previously spurned all tomato sauces. [Smile]

This
Minestrone pasta pot from BBC Good Food always used to go down well too.

--------------------
Nea Fox

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anybody know how long powdered egg whites last? (they are in a sealed sachet, but have managed to lose the best before date off the box!)

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Reading recently in Clemence Dane's 'London Has a Garden' I came across a reference to 'a pickle' (her words) made from windfall figs. This sounded intriguing, and I have not been to find any recipe which might resemble it.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks for your help!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shelf life of powdered eggs

5 to ten years.. I think just powdered egg whites last even longer. I read an article once where the journalist visited the plant that made Marshmallow fluff.. basically egg white and sugar.
They pulled a sample out of the freezer for him to taste from the 1950's.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
georgiaboy: regarding pickled figs:

I hope that this site may be helpful.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Might be worth googling fig chutney too - loads of recipes for that.

--------------------
Nea Fox

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Laud-able and Karen-H: Thanks very much! Looks like lots of variety, and not very difficult.

One further question: I'm thinking that during WW2 Clemence Dane probably wouldn't have been able to get much sugar, so probably not a sweet pickle. Is this right?

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a question.

I have a recipe which calls for a 15-oz. can of chickpeas. I would rather start with dried chickpeas and cook them myself. Can anyone tell me what quantity of dried chickpeas I need?

Also, does anyone know of a website which has this type of information?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just at a guess, I'd say about 2 ounces less of dried peas. Don't forget that part of the 15 oz is salt water.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my fur and whiskers! My evil procrastinating twin could have done without me stumbling across this thread.

Piglet, thanks. Tablet recipes abound but yours is so well expressed I am going to try it. (Procrastination fairy leaps for joy!)

Chick peas: General consensus (!) on the internet is that the answer is a generous half cup of dried is a 15-oz tin. Here's one source.
IndiaCurry.com

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Writes down tablet recipe to try tomorrow [Big Grin]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A while back someone posted a recipe for onion jam. I thought I had copied it, but now I can't find it.

Would someone please re-post it?

Thanks.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I posted this a while back, though who knows if it's what you're thinking of,

Onion Marmalade
10 cups finely chopped sweet onions (about 5 large)
3 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
¾ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
-Melt butter in heavy pan over medium heat. Add sugar, and cook while stirring constantly 1 minute to dissolve sugar. Add garlic and onions. Cover and cook over low heat 30 minutes.
-Uncover, add salt and pepper and vinegar. Cook off liquid over high heat, stirring frequently to prevent scorching, about 1 hour.
-When the liquid has cooked off, a fond will form on the bottom of the pan. When a fond forms, deglaze with a splash of water and stir well. Repeat 5-6 (or more, if you feel like it) times. The more times you end up deglazing the pan, the more intense the flavor will be.
-When cool, spoon into a jar and store in refrigerator.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I have a question.

I have a recipe which calls for a 15-oz. can of chickpeas. I would rather start with dried chickpeas and cook them myself. Can anyone tell me what quantity of dried chickpeas I need?

Different kinds of beans absorb different amounts of water when they cook. The ones that absorb most are the kidney beans and their relatives which can swell up to two or three times their original size.

Chickpeas absorb less water than most other beans - perhaps a little under their own weight - so I would use somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of the weight.

But what is the weight of the cooked ones? I suppose it depends on how much water there is in the can of cooked chickpeas. In my experience that varies widely, depending partly on the poshness of the shop you buy the can in. Some cheap supermarket own brands seem to be about half water. Others have very little water in them at all.

But on the other hand, does it matter? Who really cares if you have a handful of chickpeas more or less than the recipie says? Exact quantities don't make much difference unless you are making pastry or cakes which I guess you aren't!

My mind only works in metric these days. 15oz is just under a pound, so about half a kilo. But if its 20% water that's 400 grams cooked, maybe 250 grams dry... or not. But chickpeas are cheap, so overestimate!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another answer here.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd opt for overdoing the quantity. Cooked chickpeas keep well and are useful as a salad garnish, a sandwich filling when mashed with olive oil and garlic and lemon and if you save the properly cooking water as the base for a cup of light soup.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They freeze well too, and cook from frozen.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is more of a perpetration than a recipe, I hope that is allowed.
The Chocolate Elvis.
Elvis Presley famously ate fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. And those are good, but adding chocolate to this is sublime. Even better if you caramelise the bananas.

Note: You can caramelise them without sugar by baking them in the oven with the skins on until they turn brown. Medium heat.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm looking for recipes using tarragon so that I can tame our tarragon plant, which is nearly four feet tall and has become something of an eyesore in the border garden. I've already made tarragon chicken and tarragon eggs. I still have about a half-peck of tarragon to go before the plant is down to a manageable size.;-) (This plant, by the way, was labeled by the greenhouse as French tarragon, but its vigor in our climate and its subtle flavor make me suspect it's actually Russian tarragon. Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016