homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Burnt Offerings: the recipe thread
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
White fish and tarragon marry well.

But it sounds as if you may have to dry some of it, given the quantity.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There used to be a fish restaurant called Reggie's in Londonderry; at the front it was an ordinary, but very good chippie (takeaway), but the back was a much more up-market affair (with a licence) and my favourite thing on their menu was smoked haddock and tagliatelle in a tarragon and cream sauce, which was utterly divine.

I also understand that tarragon and mushrooms are quite good friends, although I've never really experimented with them; I love tarragon, but D. isn't wild about it, so I don't use it all that much.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A chef friend of mine amazed me once by making a salad dressing out of Dijon mustard, wine vinegar and a whole bunch of tarragon.
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We seem to have finally killed off our apparently indestructable tarragon bush, but I used to use it in place of parsley in a lot of recipes. It's good with chicken as well as fish too.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Herb quiche, with tarragon. (No, quiches don't have to be soggy and bland. Use extra-mature cheese for a bit of tang, don't overdo the eggs and bake until done.) Add mushrooms, or spinach, or whatever you fancy really, to your cheese and tarragon mix.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is to avoid turning the British thread in AS into a cookery thread:

Piglet's Cranachan

2-3 tbs. whole oats, lightly toasted and cooled
2 tbs. brown sugar

1 pack frozen mixed berries, thawed and drained*
1 small carton double cream
About 2-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
4 tbs. Drambuie

Add sugar to the berries to taste; you'll probably need a bit more if you're using fresh berries. Place the berries in the bottom of a glass bowl (or individual glass dishes), reserving a few for garnish

Whip the cream with the granulated sugar until it's almost stiff, then add the Drambuie and whisk until it's firm but spreadable.

Spread the cream on top of the berries.

Mix the cooled oatmeal with the brown sugar and sprinkle over the top of the cream, garnishing with reserved berries (or grapes, if you prefer)

* or the equivalent of fresh raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries in a combination and proportions of your choosing

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sometimes it's worth it. Normally I see ecomiums on homemade mayo or ketchup or neet's foot jelly and just reach for a jar of the shop-bought stuff. But firstly I really dislike commercial pesto, while simultaneously having distant but fond memories of having the real stuff in Genoa.

So tonight I did the chicken and pasta and the whole garlic/basil/olive oil/pine nuts/Parmesan. 30 seconds in a blender rather than half an hour toiling over a pestle and mortar - but it was fine. More than fine, delicious - and perfect for the evening of a day with temperatures in the 20s.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This seemed more appropriate here then in General Questions.

I'm regarded as the expert in my field, but there's one thing I don't dare try. Maybe someone knows the answer, because an experiment could waste an otherwise perfect batch.

I make lots of jellies (that's jelly not jam):crab apple, quince, japonica, feijoa; and marmalades: NZ grapefruit, lime, currently sweet orange because people have asked for it (older folk like marmalade but keep getting little stickers on their meds:'Do not take grapefruit or its juice'). I sell it for Christian World Service.

Before I bottle my marmalade I stir in a knob of butter to dissolve the scum on the top. Before I bottle jelly I have to skim off the scum, which is becoming more difficult as I have shaky hands.

Question: Does the butter thing work for jelly or would it spoil it?

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been baking for a friend who is gluten- and dairy-intolerant. I adapted a muffin recipe, and it worked rather well, so I thought I would share it here. (The blueberries all sank and formed a kind of jammy bit in the middle, but they were none the worse for that!)

Gluten- & Dairy-Free Blueberry Muffins

Makes 10-12 large muffins

125g caster sugar
250g all-purpose gluten-free self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g melted sunflower margarine
3 medium eggs
175ml unsweetened soya milk (or equivalent)
1tsp vanilla essence
100g blueberries (fresh or frozen)

1. Preheat the oven to 180C (fan)

2. Combine the sugar, flour, and bicarb in a bowl.

3. In another bowl, beat together the eggs, soya milk, margarine, and vanilla essence.

4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and fold together briefly - do not overwork the batter. Fold in the blueberries.

5. Spoon the mixture into large muffin cases, and bake for c. 20 minutes until risen and browned. Remove from oven and place muffins on cooling rack.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I occasionally have days where I buy stuff because it's reduced, then bing it in the freezer and use at some point in the future.

I did this with a batch of Merguez Sausages amd now find myself wondering what to do with them to use them. Any thoughts? I'm sure there should be something spicy and yummy but my brain has gone blank....

[ 08. July 2013, 13:29: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Grilled and wrapped in a flatbread with a dollop of tzatziki. In a tagine with chickpeas and apricot. Cooked and eaten cold with olives, bread and houmous.

I actually have a similar issue with a pack of chorizo sausages for this evening. I'm thinking slices of griddled courgette and aubergine over pasta with chunks of saussies, or, simpler still, tip into a roasting tray with the addition of onions and tomatoes and skip the pasta. Sweet potato or squash would work as well.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's always homemade tomato sauce with a bit of your own favourite herbs or spices, and patatas bravas, or some variant thereon. It's essentially the old popular favourite of sausages and fried potatoes with tomato sauce, but with a bit of a twist.
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I foolishly invited a few people over for lunch next Sunday, and am now panicking about what to cook. It needs to be something that I can have ready very quickly after we return. I'm happy to do lots of prep on the Saturday. Also I have a slow cooker (but if I don't want to get up crazy early it will have about 5 hours cooking time).
Any thoughts, I'm average at cooking, but have only had people over when I'm around to prepare just before they arrive! [Help]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

In this weather, are you able to do a barbecue outside anywhere, even with one of those little disposable kits? You then just need some sausages or other meat, burgers/vegeburgers, which can be done in batches as people turn up; fish if you're feeling more adventurous (barbecued marinated salmon); sauces, buns, and a huge bowl of salad. You could do chips/fries as well. Ice cream for afters, with fresh summer fruit (maybe with cream) as an alternative. The keynote here would be summer informality and minimal cooking.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I would have well-marinated chicken pieces, or fish en papillote on a roasting tray and ready to go in the oven directly you come in. In the 30 minutes (or less) those take to cook, you can have either a cold starter, or nibbles and an aperitif, depending.

I microwave vegetables - so that's 10 to 15 minutes for new potatoes (depending on quantity) - pop in oven to keep warm. Green veg is 3 to 5. Or you replace the cooked veg wholly or partly with fresh crusty bread and a varied salad.

Seasonal fruit and cream to follow.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If it's hot weather, large composed salad. Premake all the components and just assemble, dress and serve.

Tuna Nicoise is a classic.. good water packed light tuna, crunchy cooked green beans, potatoes, oornihon pickles, greens and a home made vinaigrette. Serve with crusty bread and good butter. Optionally add cheese, poached chicken, pickled beets and carrots, brown rice or pasta.

Or use Mark Bitman's idea.. make several grilled sharp cheese sandwiches, cut off crusts, cut into cubes and toss as croutons in salad.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I managed to "rescue" the remnants left over from the cheeseboards at my son's wedding last week, and put 8 X 3/4 lb bags of Stilton in my freezer for cooking purposes.
After-dinner drinks and nibbles with the next-door neighbours this evening meant that I could use up one bag making a batch of Stilton & Walnut Crackers.
All the recipes call them 'crackers', but they are like a shortbread in texture, and very calorific.
They are very moreish, so it's a good job I only cooked half of the dough, and froze the rest for a future occasion.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long shot I know, but am looking for a pudding/ sweet/ cake etc, which is gluten, egg and diary free! Any ideas people?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
Long shot I know, but am looking for a pudding/ sweet/ cake etc, which is gluten, egg and diary free! Any ideas people?

Fruit salad.

Baked fruit salad.

Stuff using agar agar and/or tofu (I don't have a specific recipe, but I know they're out there).

Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Surfing Madness, I have a pudding I make when I am on an anti-inflamation diet, the recipe follows. This diet requires me to eat as little sugar as reasonably possible so I don't add any, but you could add some to your taste. The pineapple should be in extremely small bits, so I have found that cheaper brands work better than the fancier brands.

1 (19 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
1 1/2 cups soymilk OR almond milk
2 tablespoons minute tapioca
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup berries (to garnish) (optional)

Mix the pineapple, with its juice, the soymilk and the tapioca in a medium sized pot.

Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently.

Once it begins to simmer, turn it down and continue stirring, until thickened, about 10 minutes. There should not be any white specks left in the tapioca.

Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Divide amongst small serving dishes and garnish with a few berries if desired; blueberries, strawberries or raspberries would all be good.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds yummy. [Smile]

Speaking of almond or soy milk: do they typically work like milk even in cooked recipes? Regular milk is a bit sugary for me these days.

Thanks!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, Lyda*Rose, they do, pretty much! The almond milk can look a bit thin and translucent in puddings and custards, but the taste is fine.

Also, both soy and almond milk tend to come in sweetened and unsweetened versions, and unless you specifically get the unsweetened, it's likely to be sweetened, so that's something to watch for too.

Lemon pudding made with the soy or almond milk is also really good - and it doesn't curdle like real milk would when mixed with lemon juice.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm. I might give making my dad some pork or chicken gravy which I typically make with milk. I wonder if he'll tell the difference? [Two face]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:

You could make little jam tarts. [Smile]

I made this pastry recently, and it worked well:
quote:
100 g Gluten Free Plain White Flour
100g cornmeal (fine polenta)
100 g Soya margarine
40g caster sugar
4 tbsps cold sparkling mineral water

Rub the flour, cornmeal, and the margarine together to make 'breadcrumbs'. Stir in the sugar, and then the water, and combine to make a sticky dough. Wrap in cling-film and chill for at least half an hour.

When chilled, press into the wells in a shallow non-stick individual tart/muffin baking tray. (It is easier to do this by hand than try to roll out the pastry, but make sure the pastry is not too thick or uneven.) Prick each base 3 times with a fork, and chill for another 10 minutes. Then bake at 180C for about 15 minutes. (Use baking beans if you wish, but I found they worked fine without them.)

Remove from oven, and while still hot, spoon in a generous portion of jam - raspberry and apricot both work well. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until jam is bubbling and party edges a light golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool - they will be the temperature of molten lava for quite some time after taking out of the oven.

For fruit tarts, you could let the pastry cases cool, fill with fruit, and pour over some Quick Jel which you have allowed to thicken slightly before pouring in. You can serve with soya cream, which can be found beside the chilled milk in moderate-sized supermarkets.

[ 10. July 2013, 17:48: Message edited by: Cottontail ]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:
... Merguez Sausages ... something spicy and yummy but my brain has gone blank....

Turn them into a sort of jambalaya thing:

Heat some oil in a heavy saucepan or small casserole, add 1 cup rice, toss around to get it coated with oil. Pour in 2 cups boiling water with a few saffron strands in it, add some salt, cover and cook very gently for 15 minues or until all the liquid has been absorbed.

Meanwhile, fry your sausages; when they're nearly done remove them to a plate and cook a chopped onion and a few peeled prawns in the juices left in the pan. Cut the sausages into chunks, return them to the frying-pan and add some defrosted frozen peas (I'd zap them for a minute or two in the microwave). Tip in the cooked rice and stir-fry for a minute or two until the peas are heated through and the sausages cooked to your liking.

If you have any left, it'll freeze well once cooled.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you familiar with Belgian endive? It's a kind of cultivated chicory with white leaves (because it is grown without sunlight); we call it witlof in Dutch. Some people find it a bit bitter, but well, I grew up with it and I like it. It gets less bitter if you cut the hearts out.

Sometimes I can get witlof here in Brazil. That's because there are some Dutch agricultural colonies in the South (like Holambra) who sell stuff like this all over the country.

One common recipe in the Netherlands is to wrap the witlof in cheese and ham, and bake it in the oven. Brazilian cheese is very soft, so I couldn't wrap it, and besides I am a vegetarian, so I had to come up with something on the spot.

I'm sorry, I really suck at measuring and weighing things, I just put stuff in until it tastes nice, but maybe my recipe will be comprehensible:

INGREDIENTS
-6 Belgian endives
-1 table spoon of butter
-1 small carton of crème fraîche
-milk (around 2 small cups?)
-cheese (around 200g? I used Minas cheese, but use any cheese you like)
-champignon mushrooms (around 10–15 of them)
-capers
-pinch of salt
-black pepper

I washed and cut the mushrooms, and stir-fried them in olive oil for 2 minutes. Then in a small pan I melted the butter and added the crème fraîche, milk and (cut) cheese to make a sauce. I put the mushrooms and the capers in, and added salt and pepper to taste.

I cut the endives in halves (take the hearts out if you wish, but I like to leave part of them in). I then put them (raw) in an oven bowl and poured the sauce over it. I think I left it in the oven around 15–20 minutes on 200°C.

To accompany, mashed potatoes with nutmeg on top and some minced soy meat, marinated with garlic and a pince of salt (I still had that in the freezer from the other day). And of course a nice glass of white Serra Gaúcha wine from the South of Brazil.

It felt like I was in an expensive restaurant!

[ 29. July 2013, 17:46: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

If you're keen on endive/chicory, it makes a good salad with crumbled blue cheese and walnut halves, with a lemon and walnut oil dressing.

I'm just off to attend to a roasting chicken, which is sharing its tin with garlic, Sorrento lemon and fresh rosemary from the garden. Having it with new potatoes and peas also home grown.

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just been given (as a surprise gift from FD), a copy of 'Jerusalem' the Ottolenghi cookbook. Any other shipmates have this and can recommend what to try from what seems to be a breathtaking array of culinary delights?

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clarence:
I've just been given (as a surprise gift from FD), a copy of 'Jerusalem' the Ottolenghi cookbook. Any other shipmates have this and can recommend what to try from what seems to be a breathtaking array of culinary delights?

A couple of people are currently raving about it on my online book group - so much so that it has been suggested we have a cookery book as one of our group reads (and presumably this would be a front-runner in the nominations).

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That could be dangerous: it could end up being a kind of cooking blog with an awful lot of us then needing to go on the exercise thread!

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:
Before I bottle my marmalade I stir in a knob of butter to dissolve the scum on the top. Before I bottle jelly I have to skim off the scum, which is becoming more difficult as I have shaky hands.

Question: Does the butter thing work for jelly or would it spoil it?

GG

In case no-one has answered your question (can't see an answer in the thread), butter into jelly is a Bad Thing™, as it makes the jelly go cloudy. I usually end up with at least one jar per batch that has some scum on the top - that becomes the test jar. (Where's the licking lips smiley?)

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hardly a recipe, but having tried them yesterday I can recommend roast potatoes cooked on a barbeque / grill.

Nuke or boil some potatoes in their jackets until just done. Cut into large chunks and put into a bag or bowl with a good splash of oil and seasonings to taste. When the barbeque's ready, put them on the grill and turn them until all the sides are golden and crispy. Make lots!

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Anyone familiar with pomegranate syrup as an ingredient?

I bought a bottle in an Asian shop because I'm always buying weird stuff to eat. Tonight I was making Random Sausage Casserole - pork saussies, onions and carrots simmered in stock, few slices of apple added towards the end, teaspoon or so of mustard. It was a lot sweeter than expected, so I tried drizzling in some of the pomegranate stuff, which is quite sour.

Whether it was that or not, the end result was delicious.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Anyone familiar with pomegranate syrup as an ingredient?

Was this Pomegranate Molasses? That's a wonderful ingredient that's hard to find here. The classic combination is pomegranate and toasted walnuts.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
Was this Pomegranate Molasses? That's a wonderful ingredient that's hard to find here.

That's what I enquired about, but this what the shopman offered. I would expect molasses to be a bit thicker. But I'm wondering if the flavour is the same and whether I can use it as a substitute.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I've been meaning to try faisinjan for a while, but the ingredients don't seem to coincide in this area. However, if you have the bottled syrup you might find this an interesting use.

(Doesn't have to be pheasant; you can use duck, chicken or even lamb, if the internet is to be believed.)

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A neighbor has offered me 'lots' of figs (his word).

So, what do I do with them? I've checked several recipe collections, but all I've come up with is preserving with lots of sugar and lots of cooking - not quite what I had in mind.

Any suggestions? I really like figs, just don't know what to do with them.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Bake with cinnamon, honey and a touch of brandy and serve with cream. (This smells wonderful while cooking.) Grill and eat with goats' cheese or wafer-thin slices of Parma ham. All these are good.

Or, if you google fig recipes you might find something else that appeals.

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

Fig tart.
pie crust, frangipane and fresh figs.
I bought this at the local fancy bakery but the recipe looks simple
fig tart

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a seasonal glut of courgettes and, truth be told, marrows.

[Help]

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The traditional way to deal with a surfeit of marrows is marrow and ginger jam. You may then find you have an excess of marrow & ginger jam, but that is a better Xmas gift than a large, green, rotten vegetable.

Courgettes can be stuffed, used in ratatouille and risottos and in Indian-style vegetable dishes.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've always wanted to have a go at making marrow rum

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Deputy Verger:
[Help]

I have a cupboard full of courgette pickles and chutney.
And still they come!

--------------------

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the figgy suggestions. (They still have not appeared.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please, what is a courgette? What is a marrow? Can anyone post a picture? Where I live, nobody uses these terms.

Another question: my grandmother (pbuh), under instruction from her Scots mother-in-law, used to make the most delicious finnan haddie. I last had it in my early teens. All I remember is Grammie's advice: when buying smoked haddock to make this dish, make sure it's more pale yellow than orange.

Can anyone offer up a recipe? I haven't been able to google one. Perhaps I'm spelling it wrong?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Courgette you may know as zucchini and marrow is, I suppose, a squash rather like a large zucchini.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
[Help]

I have a cupboard full of courgette pickles and chutney.
And still they come!

So next year -- don't plant any. Don't plant them, don't buy them, don't accept them as gifts. When people dump them on your doorstep in the middle of the night, dumpt them in the compost or in the back alley or on someone else's doorstep. You are not obliged to accept or do anything useful with a courgette.

I've never understood why people plant courgettes -- especially why they plant more than one (1) of them. Especially if they then complain that courgettes have done the only thing that courgettes do well -- repackage water as something that falsely looks worth eating.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:

Another question: my grandmother (pbuh), under instruction from her Scots mother-in-law, used to make the most delicious finnan haddie. I last had it in my early teens. All I remember is Grammie's advice: when buying smoked haddock to make this dish, make sure it's more pale yellow than orange.

Can anyone offer up a recipe? I haven't been able to google one. Perhaps I'm spelling it wrong?

There's this.

Or these.

The thing about yellow rather than orange is natural smoked fish (which is a pale colour) rather than fish which has artificial flavour/colour added.

Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

quote:

[Help]

Grated courgette which is then fried off is a good way to make the mince in a bolognaise sauce go further, and to sneak some unseen vegetables onto the plates.

You can also make a courgette cake - same idea as a carrot cake. There are plenty of recipes online. Though I plead with you to peel the courgette first. My sister made one once (her inexplicable choice for my mother's 60th birthday cake!!!), and although it tasted delicious, the green bits in the cake looked for all the world like mould. We ate it eyes closed.

Mind you, a portion of bolognaise for 4 followed by a courgette cake will only use up two courgettes. Good luck for the rest. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whole series of courgette recipes here That courgette mush recipe in the blurb is really worth doing (and you start with a kilo of courgettes / zucchini)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  17  18  19 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016