homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Snarky mousethief- -maybe , but the world is too chickenshit to tell him so. (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Snarky mousethief- -maybe , but the world is too chickenshit to tell him so.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh look. The old guard are forming ranks. How cute.

Stand TALL quetzalcoatl ! [Biased]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
Oh look. The old guard are forming ranks. How cute.

Stand TALL quetzalcoatl ! [Biased]

Oh look, Evensong is sticking up for a jackass underdog and attacking mousethief. How cliché.

Fuck OFF Evensong ! [Biased]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is entirely possible that Evensong is completely incapable of fucking off, even when she might suffer insight sufficient to recognize that she should. I can't help imagining that despite being allegedly a human female, she is in fact a just a wobbly phallus that beats its head against a keyboard with senseless impulse. Honestly, how would we tell the difference?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
It is entirely possible that Evensong is completely incapable of fucking off, even when she might suffer insight sufficient to recognize that she should. I can't help imagining that despite being allegedly a human female, she is in fact a just a wobbly phallus that beats its head against a keyboard with senseless impulse. Honestly, how would we tell the difference?

Sticky keysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry. I humbly beg the old guard's forgiveness.

It's just that I happen to like the current jackass underdog.

*sniffs*

Good lord, why does it smell like mothballs in here?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like quetzalcoatl too. That doesn't automatically prevent quetzalcoatl being a jackass on this particular occasion, though.

The thing that's so fucking annoying about the Evensong patented Support The Underdog technique is that the merit of the individual situation doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Hi Duchess! Long time! I hope you are doing well.

ducks for cover

Doing fantastic, MouseThief! Hope you, the wife and the kids are too. [Smile]

Now runs out....past the babbling fool in some smelly quesycoat...phewwww...what's that smell??

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I like quetzalcoatl too. That doesn't automatically prevent quetzalcoatl being a jackass on this particular occasion, though.

No of course not. But I'm not sure how whingeing about mousetheif making anal-obsessive criticisms of grammar or vocabulary on some of his posts makes him a jackass.

quote:

The thing that's so fucking annoying about the Evensong patented Support The Underdog technique is that the merit of the individual situation doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.

You give me far too much credit my dear boy.

Why, if I could manage to support all underdogs with no consideration of merit I'd be God.

”Love is holy because it is like grace – the worthiness of its object is never really what matters.” Marilynne Robinson

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But orfeo - it's a thread about mousethief, so normal rules apply.

Thread revived by the latest in a long line of twats who think they might make a name for themselves (somewhere, anywhere, in their own heads?) by taking on our very own elder statesman (metaphorically MT, no ageism intended).

Treated with appropriate disdain, twat reverts to potty-mouth and the kind of aggressive name-calling that he's seen work on other forums.

Tumbleweed.

Exits with poor grace via this weak post.

And then. Along comes our favourite antipodean (no offence orfeo). She sees a gap in the attention-seeker market. She digs out her favourite fancy fuck-me underwear from the special drawer (it's been a while.... she finds the smell of camphor strangely distracting, and yet arousing, driving her on once more - maybe this time she'll pull...).

She's immediately rebuffed, so tosses in the "old guard" firecracker to see if it'll actually ignite this time. It doesn't. Ho-hum.

This is the way her world will end, not with a bang but a wimple.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

You really should write for the screen passer. You're very good.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
quote:

But orfeo - it's a thread about mousethief, so normal rules apply.

Thread revived by the latest in a long line of twats who think they might make a name for themselves (somewhere, anywhere, in their own heads?) by taking on our very own elder statesman (metaphorically MT, no ageism intended).

Treated with appropriate disdain, twat reverts to potty-mouth and the kind of aggressive name-calling that he's seen work on other forums.

Tumbleweed.

Exits with poor grace via this weak post.

And then. Along comes our favourite antipodean (no offence orfeo). She sees a gap in the attention-seeker market. She digs out her favourite fancy fuck-me underwear from the special drawer (it's been a while.... she finds the smell of camphor strangely distracting, and yet arousing, driving her on once more - maybe this time she'll pull...).

She's immediately rebuffed, so tosses in the "old guard" firecracker to see if it'll actually ignite this time. It doesn't. Ho-hum.

This is the way her world will end, not with a bang but a wimple.

Not trying to make a name for myself; just objected to series of anal-obsessive criticisms of grammar by mousethief; received series of sarcastic responses; got angry; don't care if he's the Lord Chamberlain really; 'weak post'? Is it - dunno, mousethief seems a sad fellow to me.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
mousethief seems a sad fellow to me.

But of a one-note opera, aren't you?

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He doesn't strike me as a sad fellow at all, Quetzalcoatl.

You've been here a while, so should know this. Regarding his style, his 52K posts on this board should lead you (correctly) to expect that it's very finely honed. If he respects your approach, he can argue eloquently and at length as I'm sure you're aware, but if he tires either of you or your argument, and thinks you're campaigning or proselytising or just blinkered in your views, or a twat, he is likely to dismiss you with a pithy one-liner, or start poking you with a metaphorical stick and making you squeal. As you have experienced. If you upset him, he can be quite fiery too.

To the best of my knowledge, he has never come second in a Hell-spat, so the most you can do is vent, if you feel the need to do anything. He is rather fond of having the last word though, so engage at your peril. If he lets you have the last word, it's because you've been dismissed, not because you've won.

If I were you I'd let it go. If he's chosen an angle from which to poke you, and you attempt to respond in kind, you should accept that you're playing by his rules, which isn't promising from your perspective. You're just distracting yourself from your mission, whatever that might be.

He is a terrific contributor to the board, driving discussion and rousing ire in equal parts - generating traffic! Although not universally loved either by transient shipmates or the local autocracy, he endures, which is indicative of something or other. I doubt that he encounters much on here that is new to him nowadays. And for the record, I'm not "old guard" - he's been here twice as long as me. And he called me a nasty word once.

(Will that do, mousethief?)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
To the best of my knowledge, he has never come second in a Hell-spat, so the most you can do is vent, if you feel the need to do anything. He is rather fond of having the last word though, so engage at your peril. If he lets you have the last word, it's because you've been dismissed, not because you've won.

Hmm, respect for a valued and energetic contributor is all good but IMO this is getting in to overly deferential territory. Let's not set up mousethief as one whom no-one dares criticise, for fear of a sycophancy-driven lynching.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just wondering if MT at least gave passer a nice reach-around for that post. hooo-boy.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

I've always been a bit of a fan-boy-type comet, I have a helluva reputation for it around here....... however, he has a beard. And Josephine.

Kevin, overly deferential is not really my bag. I did elect not to point out the typo in his last post, but that's because I was scared.

Describing the usual outcome of a situation doesn't preclude it from being repeated. I just thought that Quetzalcoatl's tack, after being dismissed, was a bit kind of "Yo mama so big etc.", and in my magnanimity was trying to suggest that he should probably be a tad more inventive in his response, rather than being steamrollered. Bit of a well-intentioned pity-post.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, like nobody's ever accused MT being pedantic and pissy before.

I'm not sure napalm-grade fury is the most fitting response either, though. WTF, Q?

@Martin--Possibly...

(Crosspost-- agreeing with Comet. Maybe she'll now want to garrotte me for agreeing with her.)

[ 27. June 2013, 21:07: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Kevin, overly deferential is not really my bag. I did elect not to point out the typo in his last post, but that's because I was scared.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Passer, I take back every bad thing I have said about you, except volumes 3-5.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Socratic-enigma
Shipmate
# 12074

- Posted      Profile for Socratic-enigma     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But of a one-note opera, aren't you?

I suspect MT may be attempting an English accent - scouser perhaps?

S-E

--------------------
"Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."
David Hume

Posts: 817 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
passer

Fabulous encomium there for mousethief, tending towards the bottom-licking, I suppose.

I must admit I haven't really been aware of mousethief since I've been coming here. I was just warning him not to keep on with the obsessive grammatical criticism. Inane, and insane, really.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I must admit I haven't really been aware of mousethief since I've been coming here.

This sentence is so preposterously unlikely I thought it deserved to be showcased.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
quote:
I must admit I haven't really been aware of mousethief since I've been coming here.

This sentence is so preposterously unlikely I thought it deserved to be showcased.
So do you think I am pretending that?

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I certainly didn't pick the words 'preposterously unlikely' at random.

--------------------

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I certainly didn't pick the words 'preposterously unlikely' at random.

Why the fuck would I pretend?

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

Uh... Emotional immaturity? A childish need to appear right at all costs? I could go on, but while I've got your attention what the hell did you mean up thread by "I'm watching you fuck face"?

That had a really creepy stalker feel to it.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I've noticed the people I've interacted with, that is, on the same thread. As far as I know, I've never addressed mousethief on a thread, nor he me, until this stupid grammatical shit. So why would I be aware of him?

I'm just telling him to fuck off with his witless grammatical analysis.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

"I'm watching you"?

You don't do cam2cam do you?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Getting bored now. Telly's on.

--------------------

Sine Nomine

# 66

Don't be ashamed. Lots of people do it. It's perfectly normal...kind of.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Uncle Sine 10 pts, queasycoat = minus 10 now

[eta: I picture queasycoat in a smelly trench coat...blaring videos of MT, touching...something. Oh that was disturbing, nevermind.]

[ 28. June 2013, 01:20: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When did watching TV become code for "I know I'm losing an argument and want to flee"?
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, passer. It seems I have underestimated you. Behind those little bouts of passive aggressive snark there lay an astute observational mind.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
meh.

maybe it's the Quaker in me, but I've always known that deep beneath the surface of every asshole there's at least one redeeming quality. however vestigial it might be.

it's the outward behavior that impacts me. So passer is still a cranky little fucker in my book.

Not that that's a bad thing. I have a natural affinity for dickheads.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
(Will that do, mousethief?)

Yes. The chocolate is in the mail.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Yeah, like nobody's ever accused MT being pedantic and pissy before.

Pace the thread title?

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that Mousethief has a strange ability to rub your nose in your own weakness, and reflects your own shortcomings in a way that could almost be described as prophetic. That doesn't take away from that he's rather anal in even his most brilliant posts. He's sort of the F.C. Barcelona of the Ship...

[ 28. June 2013, 08:57: Message edited by: JFH ]

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Off-topic - that Barcelona article, another great piece by that monster, Barney Ronay.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Passer, I take back every bad thing I have said about you, except volumes 3-5.

You been reading Jerk Dogmatics have you?

If so, I'd agree but I wouldn't take back volumes 3-13.

[ 28. June 2013, 11:48: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Oh and mousetheif? I reckon you should rename yourself "Ship's Golden Boy - Above Reproach".

The ass licking is making me sick.

Oh and duchess? Go back to whatever kindergarten playground you escaped from. Please.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like quetzalcoatl. I always liked his evenhanded contributions and mild manner, and I like him even more now I know he can get unreasonably angry and offensive.

I'd buy him a beer.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
The ass licking is making me sick.

It's working, everybody KEEP LICKING!

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
I reckon you should rename yourself "Ship's Golden Boy - Above Reproach".

I should point out that Mousethief's long career posting here has been filled with all sorts of reproach. While his ability to accept said reproach has only just barely kept him from being banned a couple of times, that's more than can be said for others.

Yorick, your ongoing embracing of fucking moronic irony reinforces your reputation. Indeed, I suspect that many of us could have known who wrote that even if completely devoid of markings or context. Congratulations on approaching even closer to the asymptote of your own caricature.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I like quetzalcoatl. I always liked his evenhanded contributions and mild manner, and I like him even more now I know he can get unreasonably angry and offensive.

I'd buy him a beer.

You're on mate. Let's make it Irish car bombs (the cocktail)!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Oh and mousetheif?

Was that intentional, or are you just stupid?

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
When did watching TV become code for "I know I'm losing an argument and want to flee"?

About the same time as "I wish to spend more time with my family" became code for politicians about to be publicized with trousers down/hands in till.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh and duchess? Go back to whatever kindergarten playground you escaped from. Please.

Duchess was slamming phonies with her steel-plated Bible back when you had just begun filling out seminary applications. Have some respect.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

Duchess was slamming phonies with her steel-plated Bible back when you had just begun filling out seminary applications. Have some respect.
Getting insulted by Evensong is like having a stray dog shit on your porch.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:
Oh and mousetheif?

Was that intentional, or are you just stupid?
Is this yet another example of you being anally retentive about syntax and punctuation?

[Killing me]

I think perhaps you need to hear Stephen Fry's wisdom. 4.44 is particularly apposite for you.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

Getting insulted by Evensong is like having a stray dog shit on your porch.
Meh. More like a stray squirrel.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016