homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Be afraid, "Islamic State" (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Be afraid, "Islamic State"
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Well nuke me sideways. If the current and last Mrs. Biohazard dumps or predeceases me, I will be getting a Triumph Bonneville and roaring in to Matlock Spa. So I can roar out bare assed like Rambo out of Madison.

(my italics)

In a moment of clarity Martin PC demonstrates outstanding class. Any mutt can buy a Harley, but a Bonnie is another matter.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chesterbelloc:
do use your imagination!

I'm quite happy with my imagination the way it is ta . I'm also happy that this is an age and society where it can be used without risk of being tortured or burned at the stake.

Faith of any kind must stand on it's own merit .

Totalitarianism and religious persuasion have often jumped into bed with each-other . The Nazis had that off to a fine art.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
quote:
Islam has much to offer a West that seems to be teetering on the verge of brokenness .

What things would they be then? What can islam show the west that we don't already know and are either doing or have rejected?

Make us a list.

How not to objectify females
How to reduce the divorce rate
How to reduce alcohol and drug abuse
How to prevent obesity
How to prevent imaginary illnesses and depression
How to not live consumeristic lives that screw the planet.

Was going to say 'How to live in peace', but think we'll call it a draw with Christianity on that one.

Not that I'm necessarily pro-islam or anything. There are many days a week when I'd be etremely happy to see a worldwide ban on all religion -- considering the trouble it causes.

You've justed listed a bunch of things you think religion can do that would be good then advocate a ban on all religions? [Confused]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
do use your imagination!

I'm quite happy with my imagination the way it is ta . I'm also happy that this is an age and society where it can be used without risk of being tortured or burned at the stake.

Faith of any kind must stand on it's own merit .

Totalitarianism and religious persuasion have often jumped into bed with each-other . The Nazis had that off to a fine art.

I accidentally read that as off to a fine fart.

As I understand it, the Nazi's tried to co-opt the church for their blond haired - blue eyed schemes but they weren't so keen in the end.

Besides, you don't need religion for totalitarianism. It does very well at creating bloodbaths on it's own if the 20th century is any evidence.

[ 07. September 2014, 10:39: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
Well nuke me sideways. If the current and last Mrs. Biohazard dumps or predeceases me, I will be getting a Triumph Bonneville and roaring in to Matlock Spa. So I can roar out bare assed like Rambo out of Madison.

Sadly Martin, I'm not surprised. You and your ponytail and futile mid-life penis extension will fit right in. I don't think many folk will turn their heads though as Matlock Bath is full of them on Sundays. You will be simply another part of the sheep-subculture. Nothing special.

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Why would the West think it owns Bosnia and Albania?

So you would be quite happy to let the Spanish people living in Andalucia be subject to islamic law and forced conversion?

Well of course, I'm sure to you it would be merely "a quarrel in a far away country between people of whom we know nothing"

quote:
I expect that in deano's subconscious, Jesus was actually born in a small village in Somerset.

Funny. Pointless to the issue of how to deal with islamic terrorism and hegemony but amusing all the same.

quote:

I'm happy for you. Take a quick flight into Syria or Pakistan and see how long you can continue to use your imagination without fear of torture and death.

That freedom needs protecting. Some people on this thread seem to not want to do that, and would quite happily allow places like Andalucia become an extension of Syria or Pakistan or Afghanistan etc. Wouldn't you orfeo?

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Well the good news is Indonesia, the world's biggest Muslim country, is doing well.

I'm proud of my home country. [Yipee]

[ 07. September 2014, 11:10: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

So you would be quite happy to let the Spanish people living in Andalucia be subject to islamic law and forced conversion?

No. Would you be happy for the people of Bosnia and Albania to be forced to convert to Christianity on account of your belief that Muslims are inherently dark-skinned people from somewhere other than Europe?

Al-Qaeda shouting "these are our lands" is unacceptable. But so is you shouting the exact same thing.

[ 07. September 2014, 12:29: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

No. Would you be happy for the people of Bosnia and Albania to be forced to convert to Christianity on account of your belief that Muslims are inherently dark-skinned people from somewhere other than Europe?

Al-Qaeda shouting "these are our lands" is unacceptable. But so is you shouting the exact same thing.

No. They are part of Europe and mainly muslim. Fair enough. Their choice. Did you get that word "CHOICE" orfeo?

The concept of a caliphate wont leave room for CHOICE in Andalucia. You seem to believe it will. You are naive.

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
do use your imagination!

I'm quite happy with my imagination the way it is ta.
Irony is a bit like leady and goldy on your planet, I take it. I'll grant you this: you're capable of imagining several times a week how good it would be to suppress all religions, apparently. But not of working out the consequences of implementing that, otherwise - to give you the benefit of the moral and historical doubt - I don't think you'd be suggesting such a thing.
quote:
I'm also happy that this is an age and society where it can be used without risk of being tortured or burned at the stake.

There should definitely be a Godwin's Law-type rule about losing an argument when invoking the Inquisition.
quote:
Faith of any kind must stand on it's own merit.

Before being suppressed entirely by you should it prove to be religious, right?
quote:
Totalitarianism and religious persuasion have often jumped into bed with each-other. The Nazis had that off to a fine art.

[Roll Eyes] I'll give you a Godwin pass, since I was the first one explicitly to invoke totalitarianism. But wait a bit. You bring up your idea to ban all religious expression, and I'm the one who has to field Nazi slurs? That's more than a bit rich - that's a mark ten on the Croesus scale.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

Banning all religion would in reality be difficult, probably impossible .

I'm a tentative churchgoer, and call out to a non-specific deity in private. But to believe that religion doesn't have the potential to cause or fuel trouble, or be used for mass manipulation/oppression , is to ignore history and indeed the very subject title of this thread.

And the Godwin fans among us may be interested to know that those drafted into Waffen SS were compelled to swear service to the fuhrer, on oath to the holy spirit .

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I lie corrected deano: Bath, not Spa. Have the little boats with the lanterns on gone down the Derwent yet? Damn that's cute.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Nazis were mixed with regards to Christianity. This isn't what one sees with people using them as claims for the bastardness of Christians/atheists. Same with Stalin.

On the one side you have Hitler playing tithes to his local church in Austria till he died. On the other side you have the persecution of priests and pastors who stood against the Nazis, which could include simply openly praying for the Nazis' enemies (or, in the case of Polish RC priests, being put in Dachau among other camps simply for being priests). You have Theodor Eicke, the then camp commandant of Dachau telling newly interned priests/pastors that there is no God, only Satan, and he is Satan. You also have the Wehrmacht symbol with "God with us" (Gott mit uns) on it.

Bormann, Goebbels, Rosenberg and Himmler were all anti-Christian.

It was a Christian priest whose protests led to the official (but not actual) end of the "euthanasia". At the same time, the Nazis banned "free-thinking" (atheist) organisations (as far as I know, most or all were left-wing). Hitler had said, by the way, the Nazism was based on science and not on faith.

In other words, the Nazis were contradictory with regards to Christianity and can't be effectively used a a "Nazi card" by either Christians or New Atheists.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cut the Godwin stuff, or the thread gets it.

Sioni Sais, bored Hellhost

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Banning all religion would in reality be difficult, probably impossible.

But still something to aspire to, eh?

Do me a favour: look up "totalitarianism" in the dictionary. Having done so, let me know how much else appeals to you about it.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No. They are part of Europe and mainly muslim. Fair enough. Their choice. Did you get that word "CHOICE" orfeo?

The concept of a caliphate wont leave room for CHOICE in Andalucia. You seem to believe it will. You are naive.

Wow. What part of the word "No" didn't you understand?

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And what will that word "no" do to the "delicate" negotiations with a caliphate who demand Andalucia or will continue with jihad?

And what will your response be then? To wring the hanky a little more?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And what will that word "no" do to the "delicate" negotiations with a caliphate who demand Andalucia or will continue with jihad?

As opposed to what? More armchair warrior posturing? I'd suggest more gin, but it only seems to make you more bellicose.

Look, it's not going to happen. The Islamic State have an awful of Muslims to kill before they're going to get anywhere near Spain. They will, inevitably, come up against the regional power blocs of Iran, Turkey and Saudi Arabia. Maybe they'll keep a small, unstable kleptocracy on the borders of Iraq and Syria. Maybe they'll get crushed, maybe they'll implode.

All your doing is being a shroud-waving Cassandra. Even I couldn't make your deranged ramblings into a semblance of a coherent plot.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Do me a favour: look up "totalitarianism" in the dictionary. Having done so, let me know how much else appeals to you about it.

Done better than that, read a long wiki piece on the subject, and I don't in actual fact find very much of it terribly appealing.

Tell me, do you think Islamic State have a totalitarian agenda ? Tell me , do you think it's advocates are motivated by religion ?
I may getting this wrong but you appear to think totalitarianism and religion are mutually exclusive, whereas I'm pretty damn sure there are not.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:

Done better than that, read a long wiki piece on the subject, and I don't in actual fact find very much of it terribly appealing.

Tell me, do you think Islamic State have a totalitarian agenda ? Tell me , do you think it's advocates are motivated by religion ?
I may getting this wrong but you appear to think totalitarianism and religion are mutually exclusive, whereas I'm pretty damn sure there are not.

Most religions have enough dogma in them to enable zealots to construct a totalitarian system, ie one in which all that is not mandatory is forbidden.

I doubt any religions are inherently totalitarian, but they make wonderful pretexts.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:

I hate to tell you, but you are getting this wrong. I think no such thing.

I am merely pointing out that your apparent wish - that all religions should be banned - is exactly the kind of thing that qualifies for a totalitarian label. It's exactly the kind of thing that only a totalitarian regime would attempt, and only totalitarian regimes have attempted.

So when you said you frequently (a few times each week) would like to do this but were wondering about how it may be done, I replied that it could only be done by the suppression of the most basic of human rights - the free practice of a religion. All thats's "mutually exclusive" here are the implementation of you desire and certain human rights.

Is this really so difficult to understand?

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was talking to you, not to a caliphate. Try a little reading comprehension. You asked me if I would be happy to let the Spanish people living in Andalucia be subject to islamic law and forced conversion, and I said no.

After that you just went off on some flight of fancy about what I might have said.

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

How not to objectify females
How to reduce the divorce rate
How to reduce alcohol and drug abuse
How to prevent obesity
How to prevent imaginary illnesses and depression
How to not live consumeristic lives that screw the planet.

Was going to say 'How to live in peace', but think we'll call it a draw with Christianity on that one.

Not that I'm necessarily pro-islam or anything. There are many days a week when I'd be etremely happy to see a worldwide ban on all religion -- considering the trouble it causes.
Not quite sure how that could be implemented though [Confused]

1. I am not sure that obsessing so much about the female body you can't stand to look at it and so insist on shrouding it away under layers of fabric is somehow any better than obsessing about it so much that you try to engineer it being covered by as little as possible but y'know YMMV.
2. Yup because arranged marriages and patriarchy with a healthy dose of honour killings if you shame your family are just so great for women.
3. You do know that the Muslim community abuses psychoactive substances that just don't happen to be alcohol - right?
4. Go Kuwait!
5. Okay, what the fuck?
6. Did someone forget to tell the Saudis that they can't do bling?

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

So, rolyn's list is worthless. It turns out that islam can't teach us anything. Fuck 'em.

--------------------

Macrina
Shipmate
# 8807

- Posted      Profile for Macrina   Email Macrina   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that what Islam can teach the West, and conversely what the West can teach Islam (once we stop trying to murder each other) is that humans can co-exist peacefully even with differing world views and that people with differing world views are not inherently evil. Though I think we're a long long way from that.

I don't like rolyn's list because it makes some pretty sweeping assumptions about Islam and the West that make the list invalid.

Posts: 535 | From: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
So, rolyn's list is worthless. It turns out that islam can't teach us anything. Fuck 'em.

No doubt someone has asked this before but I thought you were a Christian? Whatever happened to loving your (perceived) enemy?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

No doubt someone has asked this before but I thought you were a Christian? Whatever happened to loving your (perceived) enemy?
Sure, once they try to stop killing me and mine. I'm not very good at loving enemies or turning the other cheek. Is that a pre-requisite?

As a Universalist I figure I'm okay though.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
6. Did someone forget to tell the Saudis that they can't do bling?
Great list, Macrina. My electoral ward is about 30% Pakistani extraction - and since I'm an Essex boy, I may comment without prejudice that they're largely down with my erstwhile homies when it comes to big German cars (or Lexus-es...Lexi..Lexorum Lexis Lexis?) and Doric columns in white plastic holding up a UPVC porch.

You're right - what we have to show each other, is that we can do better than a depressing, primitive tribalism. Well, one day at a time.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure, once they try to stop killing me and mine.
But not ALL Muslims are trying to kill you and yours. Why persist in the demonisation? My Muslim mother would certainly have no ill will towards you.

quote:
I'm not very good at loving enemies or turning the other cheek. Is that a pre-requisite?

For Christianity? Well yes. The idea percolates in our thoughts and actions from the smallest person that annoys you next door to the biggest demon you can imagine.

quote:

As a Universalist I figure I'm okay though.

That's great, but it's a cop out. THIS world matters. How we treat each other NOW matters.

(p.s. That's not to say I'm perfect at loving my enemies either - but if you keep it in your consciousness it makes a helluva difference.)

[ 09. September 2014, 11:06: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Sure, once they try to stop killing me and mine.

The "they" construct is probably the most destructive manifestation of evil on earth. Who is your "they"? All adherants of Islam or perhaps a hundred thousand militants?

quote:

I'm not very good at loving enemies or turning the other cheek. Is that a pre-requisite?

I wouldn't describe it as a prerequisite, but you're aware of this, so it's a good start. Did anyone ever suggest the Christian life was easy? certainly not Christ.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
[QUOTE]My electoral ward is about 30% Pakistani extraction - and since I'm an Essex boy, I may comment without prejudice that they're largely down with my erstwhile homies when it comes to big German cars (or Lexus-es...Lexi..Lexorum Lexis Lexis?)

It's an interesting trend that I've noticed. When I was young all Asian men seemed to drive Japanese cars. Now they all seem to drive German cars. Just increased wealth, perhaps?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:

quote:

For Christianity? Well yes. The idea percolates in our thoughts and actions from the smallest person that annoys you next door to the biggest demon you can imagine.
Oh. So soldiers who are obliged to, you know, actually shoot and kill the enemy are not allowed to be Christians then?

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

In christian theory, no.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
In christian theory, no.

Which is why I view you with so much disdain.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

Oh. So soldiers who are obliged to, you know, actually shoot and kill the enemy are not allowed to be Christians then?
You're familiar with the Anabaptists, I presume? Ditto the Quakers? Or John Howard Yoder's The Politics of Jesus?

To put it mildly, radical pacifism has a long and noble tradition in Christian theology and history, though it's by no means the only theory of Christian bellicosity—just war theory, in which wars are kept limited in scope, for particular purposes, and atrocities and mass slaughter avoided also has a fair bit of traction. "Fuck the teachings of this Jesus dude 'cause I'm bad at following 'em," not so much.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

Evensong was stating that no soldiers - who have fought and died for her right to post such drivel in complete safety - can call themselves Christians.

I don't need to take lessons in morality from people like her. A feral dog has more morals.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
In christian theory, no.

Stop making me like Evensong.

(eta)

And we should be taking moral lessons from someone who spits in someone's drink, but is very careful to make sure they don't see them do it? You are the very epitome of
quote:
... an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

[ 09. September 2014, 12:44: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Evensong was stating that no soldiers - who have fought and died for her right to post such drivel in complete safety - can call themselves Christians.

I don't need to take lessons in morality from people like her. A feral dog has more morals.

Then how about taking lessons from Jesus, whose easy yoke and light burden seems to be Just Too Much for you to even consider seriously?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
In christian theory, no.

Christian theory? WTF is that when it's at home? Once theory and practice are distinct you are in the same situation as some of those churches Paul wrote to all those years ago.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I know that some of the history is bad (and I can only think of Orlando Bloom as Legolas but watching Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven on TV last night was especially thought provoking.

Would that the amoral, thuggish killers of IS were watching.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
quote:
In christian theory, no.

Stop making me like Evensong.

(eta)

And we should be taking moral lessons from someone who spits in someone's drink, but is very careful to make sure they don't see them do it? You are the very epitome of
quote:
... an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Hah! My finest hour! Arthur Scargill swallowed my dirty, dirty drool, the dimwitted commie looser! Sweet. Wish we had Baroness Thatcher back now, she would have dealt properly with jihadis, God bless her.

But evensong, those soldiers who fought and died for your freedoms were much more Christian than you will ever be, regardless of their beliefs or your ivory-tower, privileged piety.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Well, I suggest you start taking some lessons in morality from the nearest feral dog. I look forward to seeing the improvement.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
quote:
In christian theory, no.

Blame the messenger hmmnnnnn? I didn't make the message.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
quote:
quote:
In christian theory, no.

Blame the messenger hmmnnnnn? I didn't make the message.
Oh I don't think so. I think you have no clue about the message. When you read the message it got all jumbled up in that pretty little head of yours and you can't seem to get it straight when you try to pass it on. Never mind, I'm sure you bake a lovely cake. I would advise sticking to that rather than pretending to have a go at grown up stuff like being a messenger.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

You're so CUTE! [Big Grin] All that enraged masculinity. Go you!

[ 09. September 2014, 13:40: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

orfeo

# 13878

Evensong, are you sure your mother doesn't have ill will towards deano?

Not because she's Muslim, you understand. More because she's a good judge of character.

[ 09. September 2014, 13:45: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

But evensong, those soldiers who fought and died for your freedoms were much more Christian than you will ever be, regardless of their beliefs or your ivory-tower, privileged piety.

The courage and self-sacrifice of those lost in war must be honoured and their loss observed. But the church must never condone the glorification of the war myth. War is humanity's darkness and a product of our broken selves. It is nothing to be celebrated and everything to be mourned.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
quote:

The courage and self-sacrifice of those lost in war must be honoured and their loss observed. But the church must never condone the glorification of the war myth. War is humanity's darkness and a product of our broken selves. It is nothing to be celebrated and everything to be mourned.
And according to you and your perverted view of a "theory", to deny Christianity to soldiers who take part in it.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

No. Practise is different from theory.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Hah! My finest hour!

I am absolutely sure it was, and you have done nothing of any worth ever since. Certainly not here.

Tell you what: there are an estimated 30,000 IS activists in Syria and Iraq. I will personally pay for you to fly to Turkey, arrange land transport to the Syrian border, whereupon you can spit in as many jihadis' coffee cups as you can find.

But don't let them see you do it. Heaven forfend the consequences.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
No. Practise is different from theory.

Are you suggesting that those who "Talk the talk" should not be expected to "Walk the walk" too?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016