homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Be afraid, "Islamic State" (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Be afraid, "Islamic State"
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Professor Gorka comes off sounding like one of those "white Chriatian males are the most oppressed group on the planet" types. Not always the most reputable sources.

That website decided to immediately (before having a chance to read the article) pop up a window asking me to subscribe, with a bold tagline of "You Deserve The Truth". Never mind Professor Gorka personally, that was enough to arouse my suspicions.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Doing some research here, I'm a little skeptical about the source of this "N" story.

It seems legitimate.
quote:
Wikipedia
In Arabic-speaking cultures, two words are commonly used for Christians: Nasrani (نصراني), plural Nasara (نصارى) is generally understood to be derived from Nazareth through the Syriac (Aramaic); Masihi (مسيحي) means followers of the Messiah.

Where there is a distinction, Nasrani refers to people from a Christian culture and Masihi means those with a religious faith in Jesus. In some countries Nasrani tends to be used generically for non-Muslim white people. Another Arabic word sometimes used for Christians, particularly in a political context, is Salibi (صليبي "Crusader") from salib (صليب "crucifix") which refers to Crusaders and has negative connotations.

WordReference.com
Nasraani (which is after Nazareth and a name of a heretic sect of the 7th century which Muhammad may have known) was used solely by Muslims before the 20th century and was deeply hated by Christians because it was associated with the Ottoman millet system.

As soon as the Ottomans left in 1918, this word became obsolete in the Levant (and similar was the word Nusayri نصيري , the name of the Allawites under the millet system). The words نصراني and ثصيري (Christians and Allawites) were removed even from place names and to use them in Levant today is offensive and like calling an African person a nigger.

The latter comment makes a lot of sense in context.

All of that speaks to the legitimacy of the meaning of 'N'. None of it speaks to the question of whether the current story, about 'N' being marked, is true.

It may well be. I'm just pointing out that those links verify the concept, not the event.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
All of that speaks to the legitimacy of the meaning of 'N'. None of it speaks to the question of whether the current story, about 'N' being marked, is true. It may well be. I'm just pointing out that those links verify the concept, not the event.

True. Sorry, I guess I misunderstood what was in question. I thought the marking by 'N' was basically established news, and that the question at hand was merely what that 'N' meant.

A short google makes this the most detailed source, including pictures and an appeal by the Chaldean Patriarch about it. But then the source itself is, shall we say, less known... The New York Times seems to think that the reports are correct though.

Googling around, I also found this t-shirt. It looks quite cool, actually. I'm semi-seriously tempted to buy that...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like that sign - it looks like an enfolding arm beneath a head bending over in sympathy.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year, many Christians in the US and elsewhere opposed bombing Syria, partly on the grounds that destabilizing Baathist Syria would be detrimental to Christians.

I wonder what these Christians are thinking now, when the rationale for bombing is "Stop ISIS or Christians die!!"

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord save your children from the hates of their fathers.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Financial Times (behind a paywall) is reporting that a group of pro-ISIS extremists was handing out leaflets in Oxford Street telling Muslims to pledge allegiance to the caliphate and move there. And that Muslims who confronted them in disagreement were verbally abused.

This is a deeply worrying development. Will it be possible to be a moderate Muslim in Britain anymore? There was also the ISIS-like flag that went up in East London last weekend, and reporters were asked by residents "Are you Jewish?"

Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Story also in the Evening Standard

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
Will it be possible to be a moderate Muslim in Britain anymore?

If all the extremists pissed off to Iraq then it would be considerably easier to be a moderate in the UK.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Another angle to these ISIS nutters, which is in keeping with Taliban behaviour as well, is their enthusiasm for blowing up thousands of years of cultural heritage.

Follow the various links from this story and you'll smashed statues, bulldozed mosques and the like. Mind you, you'll also see that in Syria, all sides have been quite good at getting ancient architectural treasures destroyed.

--------------------

seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by seekingsister:
Will it be possible to be a moderate Muslim in Britain anymore?

If all the extremists pissed off to Iraq then it would be considerably easier to be a moderate in the UK.
But they're not trying to get the extremists to Iraq. They're trying to get ALL of the Muslims to Iraq, and telling them that it's God's command that they do so. I would say that makes being a moderate Muslim pretty challenging, especially if one has school-aged children who are being targeted specifically.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder why the Standard chose to put a "News picture of the day" of a litter of spotted piglets under the story.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I wonder why the Standard chose to put a "News picture of the day" of a litter of spotted piglets under the story.

That's sub-editors for you.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Orfeo
quote:
Another angle to these ISIS nutters, which is in keeping with Taliban behaviour as well, is their enthusiasm for blowing up thousands of years of cultural heritage.
Not surprising at all.

The Wahhabi and Salafi strands of Islam most prevalent in Saudi Arabia view the preservation of artefacts connected with any person - including mosques, graves, cemeteries, etc - as idolatrous so they either bulldoze them or concrete them over.

Wahhabism has heavily influenced Boko Haram and Al Qaeda in the Mahgreb, to the extent that many of the 'protected' mosques, tombs and shrines in Timbuktu - a UNESCO world heritage site - have been either badly damaged or totally destroyed.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see the world's top muslim leaders condemning the attacks on Iraqi Christians.

And reported by the Vatican no less.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Press releases by religious bureaucrats are all well and good but I really wish, for everyone's sake, that there were anti-ISIS demonstrations happening everywhere that were at least equal in size and intensity to the recent anti-Israel demonstrations.

The radicals are trying to use these atrocities to drive a wedge between moderate Muslims and non-Muslim westeners and force the moderates into the arms of the radicals. A few large angry mobs of Muslims shouting anti-ISIS slogans and protesting Christian and Yazidi persecution would help Muslim/non-Muslim integration in the West immeasurably.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demas:
Press releases by religious bureaucrats are all well and good but I really wish, for everyone's sake, that there were anti-ISIS demonstrations happening everywhere that were at least equal in size and intensity to the recent anti-Israel demonstrations.

The radicals are trying to use these atrocities to drive a wedge between moderate Muslims and non-Muslim westeners and force the moderates into the arms of the radicals. A few large angry mobs of Muslims shouting anti-ISIS slogans and protesting Christian and Yazidi persecution would help Muslim/non-Muslim integration in the West immeasurably.

Get out there and protest then. There are some, but only a few, Israelis in the demonstrations opposing the military actions against Gaza and the West Bank.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I've seen some of the graphic images online too. If they are for real then ...

There are some indications that the most graphic images are from other events altogether.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Get out there and protest then. There are some, but only a few, Israelis in the demonstrations opposing the military actions against Gaza and the West Bank.
Bit difficult if Demas isn't a Muslim, isn't it?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone please point to this rule that the size of demonstrations should always be proportional to the atrocities committed? I must have missed it when I joined Humanity Inc™.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The issue isn't one of size but whether they are happening at all; 11 years ago, a lot of Brits were on the streets of London protesting against the Iraq invasion under the slogan (amongst others) "Not in our name". I'd like to see a bit of that at least....

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are anti ISIS demonstrations in the Netherlands. Muslims participate in them, and even organize them. Here is an example. But it's never enough, is it?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing happening here organised by Muslims; I shall be delighted to be disabused of my ignorance if incorrect.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Here and here are some examples from the UK.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Good. Thank you.

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

Well, that's easy, just convert, then protest. Problem solved! [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
Could someone please point to this rule that the size of demonstrations should always be proportional to the atrocities committed? I must have missed it when I joined Humanity Inc™.

The size of a demonstration tends to be proportional to how much people care about an issue. The Israel protests are relevant because they show what can be organized if people care enough.

A huge Muslim anti-ISIS demonstration (led ideally by Sunnis not Ahmadis) would be the best thing possible for future Muslim community relationships,

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Demas: A huge Muslim anti-ISIS demonstration (led ideally by Sunnis not Ahmadis) would be the best thing possible for future Muslim community relationships,
Muslim community relationships with whom?

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

The wider non-Muslim majority.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

Ah, so the wider non-Muslim majority will have good relationships with the Muslim community on the condition that they organize an anti-ISIS demonstration that's at least as big as the one about Gaza?

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

It would help people of good faith avoid the clash of civilizations that people like ISIS so devoutly wish for and would strengthen the moderate majority against the lunatics.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm sorry but I'm just getting sick of the non-Muslim majority demanding that the Muslim community condemns extremism over and over again.

Their leaders publicly condemn extremism every time it happens. It's not enough.

The owner of the showarma shop in my street has condemned it over and over again towards his clients, even if he has nothing to do with the extremists. It's not enough.

Muslims organize demonstrations in the streets against ISIS. It's not enough.

Who the fuck are we to set ever-moving standards of when Muslims have condemned extremism enough? Maybe we should reach out to the Muslim community for once, without demanding things from them.

[ 13. August 2014, 19:40: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

I'm demanding nothing. I have no personal preconditions. I'm fearfully expressing my concerns about a future with an even greater gulf between 'us' and 'them' and suggesting one way which would help avoid what I see as an oncoming storm.

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Their leaders publicly condemn extremism every time it happens. It's not enough.

Really?! Define "leaders", define "extremism" and define "every time". Maybe I am suffering from selective media reporting here, but my ears are not exactly worn out by Muslim leaders apologising over Muslim extremism.

quote:
Who the fuck are we to set ever-moving standards of when Muslims have condemned extremism enough?

What moving standards would that be? Muslims murder, pillage, rape, destroy at newsworthy levels. A condemnation is in order. You know how often this has to be repeated? Every single time it happens. And if all was fair and square, then with ever increasing intensity and desperation. Because condemnations are supposed to be step one in stopping the condemned things form happening again, they are not supposed to be some kind of running commentary.

Yes, it's not "fair" to your harmless Muslim neighbour. So what? If he wants to complain, let him complain to those Muslim leaders who are apparently incapable of leading Muslim societies properly.

And by the way, I'm pretty sure that you are well-informed about the troubles in Northern Ireland, and you know about the Basque ETA, too. For that matter, you probably heard about the plane being shot down over Ukraine, and about Israel smashing up Gaza. It's not like there's some kind of news ban on all violence, war and terrorism but Muslim one. The reason why you get to hear so much about specifically Muslim trouble is because there is a lot of that going on in the world right now. And that's something for the Muslims to address.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
IngoB: Really?! Define "leaders", define "extremism" and define "every time". Maybe I am suffering from selective media reporting here, but my ears are not exactly worn out by Muslim leaders apologising over Muslim extremism.
Yes, really. Here is the latest one from imams in the UK about ISIS. And it's definitely not the first time. They do this every time something happens.

Muslim leaders in the Netherlands have condemned 9/11, the reactions of Muslims to 9/11, the death of Theo van Gogh (and just to be sure also of Pim Fortuyn even if it wasn't a Muslim who killed him), ISIS ... They do it every single time. And it is never enough.

quote:
IngoB: And by the way, I'm pretty sure that you are well-informed about the troubles in Northern Ireland, and you know about the Basque ETA, too.
Hereby I utterly, deeply condemn the violence that is happening and has happened in Northern Ireland, Basque Country and the Ukraine. I distance myself from it. If you don't want to have a relationship with my community because I'm from the same race as the people who perpetrated this violence, then I completely understand. I apologize for this, and feel deeply ashamed because of it. I know that it is my duty to address the violence done by my race everyday. In fact, I'll issue another condemnation apology tomorrow.

Oh, this is is embarrassing. For a moment, I forgot that I'm white. I don't have to distance condemn these things every day. You only have to do these things if you're Muslim.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The size of a demonstration tends to be proportional to how much people care about an issue.

There's also the factor of how much difference the demonstration might actually make. A London protest against the actions of the UK government has a decent chance of being heard. A London protest against the actions of the Israeli government has at least the chance of persuading the UK government to put some pressure on Israel to change. But a London protest against the actions of a terrorist group in Iraq who won't pay the blindest bit of notice to it seems somewhat pointless to me.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:

Really?! Define "leaders", define "extremism" and define "every time". Maybe I am suffering from selective media reporting here, but my ears are not exactly worn out by Muslim leaders apologising over Muslim extremism.

I've not heard any Jewish leaders condemn the excesses of Israel's actions in Gaza.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sioni Sais: I've not heard any Jewish leaders condemn the excesses of Israel's actions in Gaza.
I have.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
Sioni Sais: I've not heard any Jewish leaders condemn the excesses of Israel's actions in Gaza.
I have.
Jews yes, but I've not heard leaders. Can you post a link or two?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Sioni Sais: Jews yes, but I've not heard leaders. Can you post a link or two?
There is a Dutch organization called Een Ander Joods Geluid (A Different Jewish Voice). We can discuss about whether we can call them 'leaders', but they're definitely people who influence public discussions. They have often openly condemned Israeli violence in Palestine.

[ 13. August 2014, 20:43: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To deal with ISIS - hhow about this? If Islamists want to go out there - give them a one-way flight.. give it a couple of days...

Then authorise nuclear or MOAB release - and turn the bastards to glass.

Done.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just heard on Newsnight that they seem to have extended their supply lines a little too far. Time for TOmahawks to be lobbed in..
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Alex, do you want to pulverise the women they have taken prisoner? All the perfectly ordinary people surrounding them who can do nothing against them?

There's a few things I want to do to them, but selectively. So the people living there can get on with living there in peace. Not have to avoid a glassy wasteland.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also political work to be done, since the success of IS in Iraq is in part attributable to the sectarian policies of Maliki, who has cold-shouldered the Sunni tribes, who had fought against Al Quaeda (the Awakening). The hope was that if these Sunni forces could be integrated into the govt and polity of Iraq, then sectarian divisions would lessen.

However, most journalists are reporting that Maliki basically said fuck off to the Awakening - with the result that some Sunni tribes and leaders said, OK, fuck you, and then when IS came a-calling, they were either supportive or neutral, as they wanted revenge on Maliki.

So as well as bombing IS right now, the longer term solution is to find this 'integration' in Iraqi politics; but as Patrick Cockburn states, that hasn't happened for the last 50 years. The alternative is a break-up of Iraq.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Muslim leaders in the Netherlands have condemned 9/11, the reactions of Muslims to 9/11, the death of Theo van Gogh (and just to be sure also of Pim Fortuyn even if it wasn't a Muslim who killed him), ISIS ... They do it every single time. And it is never enough.

I take it then that your definition of "every single time" means "for the highest profile cases that make a massive splash in the Western media, every 4-5 years or so". It's not like you know of an apology for say every known attack in 2013.

But fair enough, I have heard apologies, and from some apparently important Muslim leaders. That's one of the problems by the way: I simply do not know who has relevant status in the Muslim word, so that their condemnation actually will mean something. 100 Muslim scholars signed this or that declaration. What does that mean? Maybe it will through the education system eventually change the opinion of millions of people. Maybe it will be totally ignored on Muslim streets. I have no idea.

But anyway, you seem to have the opinion that somehow there must be an end to all this condemning. That's putting the cart before the horse. There must be an end to all this terrorising, and when there is, then the need to condemn goes away. Until that time Muslim leaders need to condemn over and over again.

quote:
Oh, this is is embarrassing. For a moment, I forgot that I'm white. I don't have to distance condemn these things every day. You only have to do these things if you're Muslim.

Whatever the fuck are you talking about? Whenever significant terrorist actions occurs among "whites", relevant political leaders will indeed have to condemn them. Heck, they will probably even condemn mere paintings associated with such violence. It's part of the job description of a leader, to lead on such issues as violence in their community.

The reason why it's "never enough" is because the terrorism isn't stopping. If I never hear a single condemnation of Muslim terrorism again, because there is none, then I will be overjoyed. But while it goes on and on, condemnations are really the bare minimum one expects out of leaders.

--------------------

Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
a London protest against the actions of a terrorist group in Iraq who won't pay the blindest bit of notice to it seems somewhat pointless to me.

As I said, a sufficiently large and assertive demonstration would greatly empower the moderate Muslims against local extremists and also greatly improve relations between them and the wider society.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Normally demonstrations in London march to the relevant embassy - where does a London march to against ISIS?

100 London Imams speaking out against ISIS

Oh and these photos too

It's not necessarily that things aren't happening, they often aren't reported.

[ 13. August 2014, 22:37: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
IngoB: But anyway, you seem to have the opinion that somehow there must be an end to all this condemning.
No, I applaud it every time when Muslims condemn extremism. I'm happy about that.

What I don't think that we have the right to demand this from ordinary Muslims who have nothing to do with extremism. When they do condemn it, excellent, but I have no right to demand this from them. I have no right to condition communities of ordinary Muslims having a place in society upon them making these condemnations. And I have no right to set the standards of when these condemnations will be enough.

A few days ago, a white police officer shot innocent Michael Brown. I condemn that. But no-one demands of me that I condemn that, just because I'm white. No-one will exclude my community if I don't condemn this. No-one sets standards on whether I have condemned this enough. There's a word for that. It's called privilege.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

You rather missed the logical corollary. Demas demands that the anti-Muslim protests have Muslims in them. But when talking about anti-Israel protests, doesn't seem to consider whether they have Israelis in them.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
As far as I'm aware, there's nothing happening here organised by Muslims; I shall be delighted to be disabused of my ignorance if incorrect.

Why would you be made aware? If you're not a Muslim, why would any Muslims notify you about the fact that they're organising a Muslim protest to satisfy the apparent need to have Muslim protesters?

[ 13. August 2014, 23:00: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016