homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Be afraid, "Islamic State" (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Be afraid, "Islamic State"
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm completely schizophrene about this. My new-found pacifism, seen unforgettably in the radiant face, the life of Jesus together with my observation that Christendom swallowed Babylon whole and the gator everted on the snake, is at ... war with something must be done.

We fecklessly created this obscenity.

What would Jesus do? What SHOULD Jesus do? In us?

Do I extrapolate pacifism beyond Jesus? As I now extrapolate social liberalism on His arc?

What a mess. For us all. God be with us all in this. Which He is.

God bless those doing our dirty work.

And reveal to us what we should do instead. What Christianity should be doing in a very plural, polarized world of Devil's alternatives.

I don't know what to do or say any more. Which won't stop me will it?

deano, Beeswax, everyone

Tears. That don't quite come.

Useless tears, words. Beliefs.

Well, this IS Hell ...

I wonder what Brian McLaren would say, will say at Greenbelt this weekend?

Pacifism would demand that we do NOTHING violent. While benefitting from others violence against worse.

That does force tears.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there anything that would make you post in plain English using a normal sentence and paragraph structure ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Deano, you are obviously a lot thicker than a thing that is pretty thick.

Penny's 'Kill them all, God will know his own' is clearly meant ironically.

You clearly don't get irony.

In fact, you clearly don't 'get' anything very much.

Dropping a nuclear bomb on ISIS ... like as if that would be possible without killing Yazidis, Christians, Kurds and those Muslims who don't support ISIS.

As if a nuclear bomb could distinguish between the various groups.

'Kill them all, God will know his own,' is a quote attributed, I believe, to Simon de Montfort (not the one over here but the one in France) when the crusaders sent against the Albigensian heretics captured the city of Beziers.

The story goes that as they stormed the gate after the retreating troops and entered the city there was no time to distinguish between the heretics and the Catholics (who had lived peacefully alongside each other for years). So the order went up, 'Kill them all, God will know his own ...'

That's the point Penny is making. Dropping an atomic bomb would kill friend and foe indiscriminately.

Clearly that's what you want to do. You sick bastard.

Yes, probably. Don't worry though, the politico's would never have the balls to do it.

Notice you sidestepped the questions in my last paragraph though. And the one about which group of innocents YOU want to see die (don't forget "neither" isn't allowed).

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understood this post.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Is there anything that would make you post in plain English using a normal sentence and paragraph structure ?

Don't worry about it. I get the impression he agrees with me. What would Jesus do? Drop the nuke of course... they are killing Christians!

They are a bastardised religion based on some blokes dreams. Okay, fair enough. If they stay nice and quiet and don't bother anyone then carry on I say, but kill the bothersome ones.

That's what MPC means.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm conflicted deano. A double-minded man. Unstable in all my ways. A pathetic sinner. Lost. Who shall deliver me from this body of death? I thank the Lord Jesus Christ. How long oh Lord?

I don't believe God ever nuked or ever will nuke anybody.

If I'm wrong, He'll reconcile the irreconcilable.

The trouble is now I cannot live up to the ethics of the Prince of Peace.

For I no longer know what they are.

Note I say ethics.

I know His LAW, love, how is that worked out? With a nuke? With what utilitarian situation ethics?

I don't know any more.

How's that for a result deano?

Is this where faith has to come in?

How?

George is having the same problem I see. So we're in good company.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bollocks, Deano, I didn't side-step anything. I'd be in favour of robust action against ISIS and jihadists in general.

Dropping nuclear bombs on areas where there is a mix of people - some of them good guys, some bad - ain't going to solve anything.

There are what, several thousand ISIS fighters in Iraq? You don't need a nuclear weapon to deal with several thousand fighters. Imagine a nuclear strike taking out what - 1500 fighters? Would that be worth it if it killed another 50,000 people who had nothing to do with it?

If there were jihadist groups launching attacks here in the UK then I would certainly support armed military response to prevent that. I wouldn't advocate nuking Bradford, though, if some jihadists came from there. Would you? If you would then you are an even bigger prat than you sound.

Longer term, the solution has to lie in education, in winning hearts and minds ... that's easier said than done, of course.

But nuking people isn't the answer.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Martin PC not & Ship's Biohazard:
I'm conflicted deano. A double-minded man. Unstable in all my ways. A pathetic sinner. Lost. Who shall deliver me from this body of death? I thank the Lord Jesus Christ. How long oh Lord?

I don't believe God ever nuked or ever will nuke anybody.

If I'm wrong, He'll reconcile the irreconcilable.

The trouble is now I cannot live up to the ethics of the Prince of Peace.

For I no longer know what they are.

Note I say ethics.

I know His LAW, love, how is that worked out? With a nuke? With what utilitarian situation ethics?

I don't know any more.

How's that for a result deano?

Is this where faith has to come in?

How?

George is having the same problem I see. So we're in good company.

See! As far as I can make out MPC is fully behind my position.

Great news. Glad to have you aboard. We're getting some wristbands made up with WWJD? - NE! on them, I'll pop one in the post for you.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Have it your way deano. Or be real. If you are being, you're way more lost than me even.

--------------------
Love wins

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine deano.

I would rather die than them.

Their lives are not worth less than mine, just because they don't look like me. And if you're going to present the false dichotomy, if you're going to ask which side of the bullshit dilemma you posed I'll take, I'll take "us."

Why? Well, stupid question gets a stupid answer, and "us" is just as good as "them." But really. Do you have any moral scruples at all? Does the work of thousands of years of civilization have absolutely no impact on your ethical calculus? Are you worthy of being called a rational human being? Or are you going to revert to the most basic form of tribalism, choosing to be a barbarian, a brute, not even human?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

He's an Ayn Rand man: 'The Arabs are one of the least developed cultures. They are typically nomads. Their culture is primitive, and they resent Israel because it's the sole beachhead of modern science and civilization on their continent. When you have civilized men fighting savages, you support the civilized men no matter who they are."'

And now ... who isn't?

--------------------
Love wins

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Then if it's the civilized verses the savages, then we're all united against the likes of him, I take it.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

No Ariston. We're on the same spectrum. He is NOT other. He regards himself, just like we do, just like the butcher of James Foley does, as truly civilized.

--------------------
Love wins

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Recognising the provocation and the risks of hate speech in earlier posts (referred to Admin BTW), please make sure you stick to the arguments and move away from considering deano's personal defects. In accordance with C3 and C4.

Barnabas62
Dead Horses Host.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoops!

Belay that order - apologies to HellHosts and Shipmates. Crossed wires from my early morning post reviews!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Kill them all. God will know his own.

It is not now generally thought that the abbot of Beziers was correct.

quote:
Originally quoted by Gamaliel'Kill them all, God will know his own,' is a quote attributed, I believe, to Simon de Montfort (not the one over here but the one in France) when the crusaders sent against the Albigensian heretics captured the city of Beziers.

[Pedant's Hat]It was Arnaud Amalric, Abbot of Citeaux, who allegedly said it. Occasion though was indeed the Siege of Beziers. Simon de Montfort Senior was there but didn't lead the assault or utter those words[/Pedant's Hat, as you were]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Barnabas62 - forgiven.

Everyone - take care when when making sweeping accusations about races, faiths and nationalities. Remember that the First Amendment regarding freedom of speech is part of the US Constitution and does not therefore have worldwide or even Ship-wide effect.

IANAL but I believe there are even limits to it in the United States.

Sioni Sais
Hellhost

[ 21. August 2014, 09:25: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the correction, Matt Black, I was going to look the quote up before posting but couldn't be arsed. After all, it was only Deano we were arguing with ... [Razz]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Biased]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
What would Jesus do? Drop the nuke of course... they are killing Christians!

He didn't act to stop people killing Himself, so what makes you think that?

You're either trolling us or you're being serious, and either way you're a fucking nutball trying to stoke up tensions and animosity between Christians and Muslims. If you're trolling then it's pretty much garden-variety fuckwittery, but if you're serious then you are frankly worse than ISIS, because at least they take care to ensure that only the people they hate get killed.

I cannot for one moment imagine that you're actually serious though. Dropping a nuke on Iraq to stop people there being persecuted? It's like the police resolving a hostage situation by killing the hostage [Disappointed] .

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

... or by blowing up the whole building where the hostage situation is occurring. I mean, seriously, Deano, WTF? Yes, if I'm honest, there's a part of me that wants to seriously twat them and indeed kill or at least kick the shit out of anyone who flies their flag or otherwise supports them in the UK. But as a Christian - heck, as a human being - I am called to rise above that rather dark part of me and come up with something different. I'm still working on what that might be but it sure as hell won't be what you're advocating.

--------------------

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Iran wants a nuke for fucks sake!

Somewhere in Iran...

"America is our enemy! They have nukes for fucks sake!"

I mean, this is basically just a higher level, and more lethal, version of the laughable proposition that all the good guys need to have guns but the bad guys need to be prevented from having guns, as if everyone one on the planet wears nice little white or black hats so we know precisely which is which.

The inability to grasp the difference between one's subjective relationship to the world and some kind of objective state of affairs would be breathtaking, if deano hadn't demonstrated his complete lack of experience with the concept of 'empathy' for years and years already.

[ 21. August 2014, 10:15: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

Alright so you don't like my solution. Hey ho, what's new, like anyone was ever going to given the serious port-side list to the ship.

So what is the solution. I'll give you another false dichotomy (three actually) to constrain your answers...

1) Israel will continue to exist within her current borders and will continue to exist as a sovereign state within the Levant.

2) There will be no Palestinian state brought into existence in the lands currently occupied by Israel.

3) The "west" will not change policy on oil and will continue to defend their national interests by protecting the security of supply at the current levels. Yes we want the oil and will do whatever needs doing to protect the supply from the middle east.

Now, answer the question. How do we get Islamic militants to stop targeting westerners?

Go on, fix it! If you can't I guess this will be the last post on this thread!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Now, answer the question. How do we get Islamic militants to stop targeting westerners?

We concentrate our efforts on terrorists and militants, whoever they attack and disregarding the 'Islamic' element, especially as the people most able to help in identifying the terrorists are quite likely to be Islamic themselves. There was an article in Metro, the freebie newspaper, stating that some UK Muslims, including some related to UK nationals who have joined ISIS, want to join the efforts to defeat ISIS. It won't be quick but quick solutions, such as 'Shock and Awe' don't have staying power.

We certainly don't treat every Muslim and Arab as part of some amorphous enemy.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Matt. I should have put the Abbot at Beziers, shouldn't I?

(I think that may have been the place where the wonderful secret knowledge of a particular sort of enamelling passed down since the Roman Empire was wiped out. beyond recovery.)

On Woman's Hour this morning there was an interesting report from women who had been released. This was, apparently, because their husbands had been identified as converted - they were not required to convert themselves, in the light of that situation.

Before the release, they had been asked repeatedly to convert. They had been treated with respect. One jihadi who had attempted to fondle one had had the offending finger removed! Though they were imprisoned, and not fed well, and in some cases there had been fake executions, there was an almost - internal thesaurus failure here, can't think of word for positive emotion that quite fits the situation - attitude in the young men, who were a bit desperate for the conversions.

The women were promised houses of their own if they did so, but they knew that these would be houses as wives, since IS does not recognise the position of femme sole (medieval term for woman trading in her own right, like Mohammed's first wife before she married him) and they would be pressured into these marriages, while losing all contact with their Yazidi families, which have a very closed cleanliness belief about their faith. The reporter did not say they did not convert because of a belief that their faith was true and Islam not, but that they rejected the possibility of a fake conversion to achieve release for practical reasons, as above.

This fits with one of the things I heard yesterday about the young men's conversations - they not only missed Mars bars, but had found it difficult to find wives.

(Yeah, so let's make ourselves really attractive by going off and emulating the worst excesses of the French revolution.)

My earlier remarks about the way I felt about killing, were not remarks I was happy about, but I think I may have mentioned sniping. This is not the equivalent of nuking.

The most I would feel comfortable with would be the equivalent of the raid on the Danish Gestapo headquarters which aimed to destroy the Germans in the lower floors while freeing the prisoners on the top floor. (Did it work?)

Reports of the American destruction of the trucks involved in the massacre of men from a village a couple of days ago were remarkably short of information about the women who had been captured. But of, course, they are only women, so can easily be written off as collateral damage.

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

We concentrate our efforts on terrorists and militants, whoever they attack and disregarding the 'Islamic' element, especially as the people most able to help in identifying the terrorists are quite likely to be Islamic themselves. There was an article in Metro, the freebie newspaper, stating that some UK Muslims, including some related to UK nationals who have joined ISIS, want to join the efforts to defeat ISIS. It won't be quick but quick solutions, such as 'Shock and Awe' don't have staying power.

Concentrate how SS? I'm looking for the detail here. "Concentrate our efforts" is a little woolly, and what do we actually do with them? Kill them, try and imprison them (how are we getting on with that these days? Is giving evidence in open courts working to put them away?)

It seems that quite a few here are happy to have the status quo if it avoids Western powers actually attacking anyone. That is unacceptable and no longer viable.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alright so you don't like my solution. Hey ho, what's new, like anyone was ever going to given the serious port-side list to the ship.

So what is the solution. I'll give you another false dichotomy (three actually) to constrain your answers...

1) Israel will continue to exist within her current borders and will continue to exist as a sovereign state within the Levant.

2) There will be no Palestinian state brought into existence in the lands currently occupied by Israel.

3) The "west" will not change policy on oil and will continue to defend their national interests by protecting the security of supply at the current levels. Yes we want the oil and will do whatever needs doing to protect the supply from the middle east.

What the hell does the situation in eastern Syria and north-western Iraq have to do with Israel and Palestine? Is everyone who isn't nicely pale-skinned just some undifferentiated mass to you?

I suspect so, given your previous remarks about the Muslim world, all 1.5 billion of 'em. Meanwhile you would bend over backwards to have yourself oh so carefully distinguished on the basis of your nationality, class and political leanings.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

Concentrate how SS? I'm looking for the detail here. "Concentrate our efforts" is a little woolly, and what do we actually do with them? Kill them, try and imprison them (how are we getting on with that these days? Is giving evidence in open courts working to put them away?)
Ah, detail. Your suggestion to nuke them all is specific, but not detailed. I'm not being specific either but we have to act on the basis of intelligence and the long-term good rather than with a view to the press headlines and the next elections. Intelligence ought to determine our efforts, not a bunch of special advisors at No 10 and 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, who are only looking after their own jobs.
quote:
It seems that quite a few here are happy to have the status quo if it avoids Western powers actually attacking anyone. That is unacceptable and no longer viable.
I'd suggest that the Western powers don't intervene unless they know where they want to be, and where they expect to be, at the end of that intervention. Too often Western (and other) powers intervene simply because 'something must be done', which is a lousy excuse. We went into Iraq on that basis and look at the place now.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:

What the hell does the situation in eastern Syria and north-western Iraq have to do with Israel and Palestine? Is everyone who isn't nicely pale-skinned just some undifferentiated mass to you?

I suspect so, given your previous remarks about the Muslim world, all 1.5 billion of 'em. Meanwhile you would bend over backwards to have yourself oh so carefully distinguished on the basis of your nationality, class and political leanings.

Don't care about the colour of anyone's skin. Black, white, brown no worries. I'm comfortable with that. You may differ though, I dunno.

One of the oft-quoted reasons for muslim hatred of the west is because of the west's support for Israel. But if you weren't aware of that then you need to do some pre-work. Try to get the notes from a classmate.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
One of the oft-quoted reasons for muslim hatred of the west is because of the west's support for Israel. But if you weren't aware of that then you need to do some pre-work. Try to get the notes from a classmate.

Yeah. Because the people being affected by what's going on in eastern Syria and north-western Iraq are overwhelmingly Westerners. It's all about Western hatred. [Roll Eyes]

I know why some people say they hate the West. What I don't know is why you think that is the sole driver of ISIS, why every single thing that happens in the world is All About You. People in other parts of the world are perfectly capable of having their own concerns and conflicts that aren't All About You until you stick your bloody nose in yelling things like "let's nuke 'em all".

(EDIT: In fact, the explicit purpose of beheading Foley was to say don't stick your nose in.)

I mean, does Iran hate the West? Quite possibly, at least in some parts of its post-revolution history. Does Iran exist for the sole purpose of hating the West? Of course it bloody doesn't.

But then, the very purpose of a 'black hat' existing is to create evil plans to destroy the 'white hats', right? No independent concerns or motivations, just an opposing force, entirely defined by its opposition.

Enjoy your cartoon world, you moron.

[ 21. August 2014, 12:33: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Like you, I can get frustrated by the bizarre left-wing drivel that gets spouted on here, but a belief that dropping a nuclear warhead (or two) on Iraq is not a good idea does not make one a lefty. It really doesn't.

Also, if one nuclear bombs ISIS, will there still be a State of Israel? Nuclear fallout can travel...

Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

quote:

I mean, does Iran hate the West? Quite possibly, at least in some parts of its post-revolution history.

The main reason for that can be found in one name from its pre-revolutionary history: Kermit (and, no, I don't mean the frog; we have enough muppets here already with Deano).

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

I mean, does Iran hate the West? Quite possibly, at least in some parts of its post-revolution history.

The main reason for that can be found in one name from its pre-revolutionary history: Kermit (and, no, I don't mean the frog; we have enough muppets here already with Deano).
Distant cousin of this muppet.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the saying "Kill them all, God will know his own" is more correctly attributed to Dominic Guzman - known to RCs as Saint Dominic.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anybody else noticed that 'I, deano' is an anagram of 'no idea'?
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Actually the saying "Kill them all, God will know his own" is more correctly attributed to Dominic Guzman - known to RCs as Saint Dominic.

Citation, please, because every time I have ever seen that incident mentioned—the Sack of Béziers during the Albigensian Crusade—it was always the papal legate Amalric who allegedly said that, never St. Dominic.

ETA: When trying to find out where St. Dom was in 1209, I found this from a vita:
quote:
Dominic himself had no illusions as to the efficacy or propriety of inducing Christian orthodoxy by military activity nor, as as is sometimes alleged, had he anything to do with the establishment of inquisitions in concert with the civil power, which was done in the Midi from the end of the twelfth century. He never appears to have in any way concurred in the execution of any of those unhappy persons that then suffered. The original historians mention no other arms to have been used by him against heretics than those of instruction, patience, penance, fasting, tears and prayer; and he rebuked his ex-troubadour supporter, Fulk, Bishop of Toulouse, when he went on a visitation accompanied by soldiers, servants and sumter-mules, with the words, “The enemies of the faith cannot be overcome like that. Arm yourself with prayer, rather than a sword; wear humility rather than fine clothes.”
Yup. Warlike and bloodthirsty, that one was. Call it hagiography—I mean, it is—but don't attribute quotes so someone that nobody thinks said them.

[ 21. August 2014, 15:56: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Citation? Two French tour guides, one in Beziers, the other in the cathedral in Albi. In the latter they used the words in English and the original French. Both ascribed them to Dominic Guzman - and both referred to him in that way, not at St Dominic.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As someone who trains tour guides for part of my living, let me tell you that all sorts of unsubstantiated ahistorical shit gets into all sorts of guided tour all the time. I really wouldn't cite them as a reliable source for a historical claim. Ever.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yes indeed, in actual fact the person who really said it was St Deano of No Idea ... or Dunno for short.

What he really said was, 'Nuke the lot of them and it doesn't matter if innocent people are killed as well ... the more who're killed the better, particularly if they're those scruffy, leftie layabouts who stop me getting into work on time ...'

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

Great, enjoy yourselves. Glad to help. But the elephant in the room of course is that all your ad hominem attacks are merely diversionary tactics to avoid answering my questions...

How is it going to be fixed?

This is for at least the third time of asking and no answers pertinent to the real world that exists right now has been forthcoming. We've had one "concentrate on the terrorist" which is a bit vague, but nothing else.

Come on, give us some solutions that will work.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
Yes indeed, in actual fact the person who really said it was St Deano of No Idea ... or Dunno for short.

What he really said was, 'Nuke the lot of them and it doesn't matter if innocent people are killed as well ... the more who're killed the better, particularly if they're those scruffy, leftie layabouts who stop me getting into work on time ...'

No, I didn't say that of course. You may have imagined it that way but what goes on inside your little head isn't actually reality. I said dropping a bomb would bring you lot onto the street and get in my way.

I don't want YOU lot dead, just not getting in the way of people trying to get to work and earn and honest crust by helping bankers fleece the poor.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
This is for at least the third time of asking and no answers pertinent to the real world that exists right now has been forthcoming.

You want answers pertinent to the real world? Ask questions pertinent to the real world, not your adolescent Crusader fantasies.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

You are very literal as well as daft, Deano.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wikipedia attributes the quote to the papal legate, the Abbot of Citeaux, Arnaud-Amaury, but has a dispute about it thus:

quote:
According to the Cistercian writer Caesar of Heisterbach, Arnaud-Amaury, when asked by a crusader how to distinguish the Cathars from the Catholics, answered: "Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius" – "Kill them [all]! Surely the Lord discerns which [ones] are his". On the other hand, the legate's own statement, in a letter to the pope in August 1209 (col.139), states:

while discussions were still going on with the barons about the release of those in the city who were deemed to be Catholics, the servants and other persons of low degree and unarmed attacked the city without waiting for orders from their leaders. To our amazement, crying "to arms, to arms!", within the space of two or three hours they crossed the ditches and the walls and Béziers was taken. Our men spared no one, irrespective of rank, sex or age, and put to the sword almost 20,000 people. After this great slaughter the whole city was despoiled and burnt, as divine vengeance miraculously...

Lovely chap.

Here's an account: Warlike religious

Here's Wikipedia on Beziers. Massacre at Beziers

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Coming around again, it's easily fixed with money. Foley could have been bought for $132M. Nothing for his employers. All the Christians and Yazidi could be bought. It's only money.

deano is a simple soul, a Biblical literalist. Been there. Like most Christians. And Muslims. Intelligence is no defence either, against the oldest trope of all: redemptive violence in a patriarchal world.

Always negotiate with terrorists. Always let them have what they want. That's how to defeat them. That's what Christianity did once upon a time.

--------------------
Love wins

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by Martin PC;
quote:
deano is a simple soul, a Biblical literalist.
[Confused] [Ultra confused] [Help] [Confused] [Ultra confused]

Not in my Bible he ain't.... There is no easy answer here because we're starting from a mess; the ultimate answer will be to unravel the mess on our side. Counter the idea of an 'Islamic State' by rejecting, as the NT does, the idea of a 'Christian state'. It won't happen overnight, but it's the only answer and it's what Jesus, Paul, Peter, etc., told us to do....

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

I resent that. I've said on a number of occaisions that the Bible means far less to me that the Nicene Creed, so where do you get Biblical literalist from?

Far as I'm concerned I'd happily junk most of it as utterly useless of the modern day.

But that is beside the point.

WHERE ARE YOUR SOLUTIONS?

ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION YOU COWARDS!!

Have I made myself clear? I hope so. That's how you do it Martin, short words, few syllables and stick to the point. Does fuck all though because nobody has any answers. None. Not one of you. SS came the closest and that was woolly, vague fucking bollocks. The rest have just refused to give an any answer at all.

BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY ARE THERE????

Yes I'm fucking shouting, because that's all there is left to do with you lot. Perhaps you will now...

ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION YOU COWARDS!!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Please stop shouting, it gives everyone the idea that you have made your mind up and won't consider any option that doesn't kill everyone who just might, possibly kill any citizen of a Western nation.

If you're going after those who are likely to kill Westerners, then you're probably looking at a few thousand but if you are looking at everyone who falls into the demographic profile, then you are probably looking at hundreds of millions.

Whatever is done will not happen overnight, will have to be done with a lot of assistance by Iraqis and Syrians and will have to be driven by intelligence. Note that word, maybe you'd like to employ it some time.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

deano
princess
# 12063

Alright! How about a little Old Skool for you. how about internment of all muslim men between the ages of 18 and 30?

That should bring a little safety to the UK and stop some of the fuckers joining the enemy.

Downsides to that one?

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Downsides to that one?

Not enough barbed wire? Not enough non-Moslems to police the perimeter?
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016