homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: IngoB you are a self-righteous prick (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: IngoB you are a self-righteous prick
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Change "This community" to "a few loudmouths" and I would totally agree with the above quote. I think the bulk of us could give two shits who bows out of a hell call or drops an issue when others keep it going.

I'm sure you mean 'couldn't give two shits'?

[Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MODS! MODS! Boogie is trying to start a pond-war! [Biased]
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite rightly too, in my opinion.

[ 17. February 2015, 11:49: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:

You'll have to find a mod who lives anywhere near this 'pond' to care about it.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How many are required on various continents?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

How many shits to give?

Plenty, I would have thought ...

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
( calmly makes a Manhatten on the rocks, adds cherry, and tosses it in Boogie's face. Smiles cooly, takes a puff from a cigarette holder, and begins humming "Put the Blame on Mame" while James Cagney stealthily approaches with a grapefruit half. )

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

How many shits to give?

Plenty, I would have thought ...

I think we should prize IngoB's shit. Like the hearts of saints pickled in some churches which will beat or bleed when you pray hard enough. St IngoB, the Patron Saint of Shit's shit will steam for us. Like incense.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That little tableau is beautiful and disturbing in equal parts.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:

Oy! Brits murdered language before the Yanks started shooting its corpse.
If you insist on a Pond war, at least try to get the premise right.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither the proposed Veneration of the Turd, nor the faux transatlantic posturing is sufficient to disturb my hostly slumbers... yet.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Veneration of the Turd

St. IgnoB of Shit gets a feast day.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
( calmly makes a Manhatten on the rocks, adds cherry, and tosses it in Boogie's face. Smiles cooly, takes a puff from a cigarette holder, and begins humming "Put the Blame on Mame" while James Cagney stealthily approaches with a grapefruit half. )

*licks lips*

Yum, one more please.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
You really want to do this? Really?

Okay then.

What you ACTUALLY did with your apology was, after I'd said "I don't want to talk about this any more", start sending me private messages indicating how surprised you were that I had had enough.

I hadn't talked about this before because it was private messages, but we're talking about it now.

Was I gracious about it? No, not very. I wasn't HELLISH about it because one isn't allowed to be Hellish in private messages. But you did not choose your moment at all well.

1. You followed me into private message land straight after I'd blown my top and said I'd had enough. You gave me no opportunity to cool down. So basically what ended up happening was that the conversation I'd said I didn't want to continue, continued, because I was still in the mode of expressing my frustrations with what you'd said. I did it a little more politely, but honestly it was difficult not to just shout "WHY ARE YOU DRAGGING ME BACK INTO THIS CONVERSATION?"

2. The general tone of "OMG I didn't know" did not help my mood any because in my head I was basically thinking "you should have known, it was obvious to everyone else". And that also leaked into my PM response to you.

You talk about real life a lot. In real life, if someone storms off, do you immediately pursue them to apologise? Or do you actually let them storm off as desired?

Way to misrepresent the conversation. [Roll Eyes]

My PM to you:-
quote:
Just wanted to add a personal apology for going at it in your thread.

Reading the effect it had, I sincerely regret not stopping much earlier, or raising it to begin with. I argue hard, I know, but don't want anyone to feel like that as a result. I should've seen what I was doing, and I apologize unreservedly.

Please PM me if I ever come close in future, and I'm outa there, no questions asked. Once again, so sorry for wasting your time. Appreciate all the time you volunteer, and don't ever want to squander or burden it.

Continuing the argument, in any way, shape, or form? No. It's an unreserved apology. It's sole purpose is to say, "My bad."

Your response:-
quote:
No one should have to PM you to make you consider whether the possible reason that a whole lot of people are lining up on the opposite side of the argument is because they have a point

And no one should have to PM you to say that the reason you're not changing anyone else's mind is because we can all easily see where you are wrong.

First and foremost, you picked a phantom battle. You chose definitions that no one else uses (especially not me, the person you chose to criticise in the first place) and you defended them in the face of direct demonstration that people off-Ship don't use them the way you claim. You invoked Supreme Court authority and ignored that other commentators invoking the same authorities don't come to the same conclusion. Not ONCE did you provide evidence that your interpretation was shared. Not ONCE did you provide a source that said freedom of speech is absolute.

Why do you need a PM to grasp that this would piss people off?

So which of us is continuing the argument, here?

I could've said, if you don't wanna argue, don't spend a damn thread arguing at length. Instead I offer yet another conciliatory PM, met with more of you rehashing the argument. We do so relatively civilly, then break it off.
quote:
And look what's happened since. You first popped up in that thread on January 8. It is now February 17. In the interim, you've continued the line of conversation in the original thread, then started two other threads in Purg that were basically designed to continue the same conversation so that you can reassure yourself that other people are on your side and it's that meany orfeo who is wrong.

Now, you're gonna tell me those other threads weren't about me. Well let me tell you sunshine, it was BLOODY hard not to conclude they were all about me. In the first one you simply would not shut up about an Australian law - of which you demonstrated a serious lack of understanding - from the moment I arrived. And the second one about point scoring most definitely seemed triggered by me as well.

And you're still just being a horrendous amateur lawyer. I've told you already that the Racial Discrimination Act does not criminalise anything. Do you listen AT ALL? This is just an incontrovertible fact.

Without getting into yet another war over definitions, OK, fine, strictly speaking, 18C is technically a tort, one that just happens to resemble a crime in every respect. Canada pulled the same stunt with Section 13.
quote:
And yes, I support a law that says some kinds of insults, of a very specific kind with a wealth of exceptions (which you repeatedly misunderstood) designed to protect honest debate, are more of a problem than others. If it's okay for the law to distinguish between different kinds of violence and label some as "hate crimes", it beggars belief that it's apparently too subtle for you to distinguish between different kinds of insults and say that some are more of a problem than others because they are "hate insults". Even though the principle is identical.

It's precisely because it clearly IS too subtle for you that I gave up - explicitly, again - and on that second thread, because I decided it wasn't worth spending 5 hours of my life trying to explain it to you, knowing full well that you would hold onto your own interpretations no matter what.

Just drop it. I know I'm REALLY bad at dropping things, and it's one of the foibles that Shipmates point out to me, but Dear God I look like a picture of serenity compared to a guy who starts 2 new threads.

And now I'm feeling grumpy because I look really poor next to Ariston.

The first thread came after an apology was met with more insults. As others wanted to carry it on, I took it out of your thread. It got moved to Purg. The second thread was simply an attempt to find out what alternative method of discussion people wanted.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

On the rocks? ON THE ROCKS?!?!?!

You Philistine. Bad enough to have a drink to the face, but the insult wasn't that bad—surely it deserves a Proper Perfect Manhattan? I bet you muddled the cherry too.

Here Boogie. Try this Fernet Branca. Straight, no chaser. You'll like it.

Trust me.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
[..] Now, listen up: people have a right to a certain amount of autonomy. This includes physical autonomy (the right to not have people touch them much less hit them if they don’t want them too). This also includes mental and emotional autonomy (the right to determine how they think and feel for themselves). Others may have a right to comment on that (you’re coming across as angry; I don’t think you’re communicating your thoughts clearly). But the fact that you seem to think that you have some right to determine for others how they think and feel makes you a loathsome toad worthy of all the contempt that anyone can ever heap on your head. In real life, I’ve been literally beaten because people like you think it’s acceptable to use others in their stupid formal games like that, because those kinds of misrepresentations and lies have consequences. And they aren't always just emotional consequences for your victims.

My victims?

Kelly accused me of exploiting people's deaths for going at it with orfeo; the rest were liberal with insults. In return, I insulted them right back by calling them phonies. It was not an earnest attack on their lived experience, it's responding in kind.

If I'm replying to a bunch of people throwing insults, it's reasonable for me to assume that they've consented to a response in kind, that they're prepared for it, and that doing so won't hurt their feelings.

What did I do when I thought I'd gone too far with orfeo? Took responsibility and apologized unreservedly. For all the good it did.
quote:
And Orfeo, I can't tell you how appalling I find it that he followed you into private message land. I know you and I have the occasional clash, but you don't deserve that. Since I know he's not going to apologize, I will. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
I've posted up the apology right above. Hopefully, having read it, you'll reconsider. If not, not.

[ 17. February 2015, 16:51: Message edited by: Byron ]

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
.... Mousethief Cooler!

(A la Mornington Crescent, but for Hell threads that need to fucking die already)

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I hope you used cheap bourbon.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
If I'm replying to a bunch of people throwing insults, it's reasonable for me to assume that they've consented to a response in kind, that they're prepared for it, and that doing so won't hurt their feelings.

Dear misinterpreting fuckface,

Nobody is even remotely upset by your insults. They're amusingly clumsy, but we understand that such skills take a while to cultivate.

What many people are feeling - justifiably - frustrated with, is your liberal alterations of what you claim other people are saying. This is further self-scuttled by the conjecture you present for their reasoning or assertions about what feelings they did, or should, have.

You have yet to actually engage with anybody, even once, with an even marginally accurate conceptualization of their stance. THAT is why you are reviled. Asshole.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:
quote:

I hope you used cheap bourbon.
Harumph!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a good idea. Bourbon I mean, not cheap bourbon. Maker's Mark, here I come.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A true Manhattan is made with rye! Save your bourbon for Old Fashioneds.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Byron,

You missed the timing point, which was the critical one, completely. You wanted to know why your apology wasn't accepted. THAT WAS WHY.

Looks like you also missed the part where I acknowledged my own lack of grace.

I scrolled past the rest. Apparently I've read it before. Also, I've gone back into the not caring mode again because let's face it, it's possible to predict the next 2 or 3 steps in this conversation without breaking a sweat.

[ 17. February 2015, 20:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

orfeo

# 13878

Oh God, I couldn't help notice another bit. A tort that looks exactly like a crime.

[Killing me]

You know just enough about the law to make a complete fool of yourself every time you talk about it.

ALL torts look exactly like crimes.

[ 17. February 2015, 20:48: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I don't buy your argument that one form of silencing or another—the hemlock cup, the auto-da-fé, the Cross—is the price exacted by civilization.

That doesn't even rise to the level of misrepresenting "my argument".

quote:
The removal of bonds, the liberation of humanity, the freedom from all forms of bodily, mental, and spiritual oppression—must we return to a mythical state of nature to find this, or would that not be a good aim for civilization to seek?

Modernity considers freedom of choice as the mark of true freedom. Consequently it can imagine only one truly justifiable constraint on freedom, namely where the choices of one person are at odds with those of another. Hence "consent" becomes such a magic word, since it simply means alignment of choice.

The ancients had a different conception of freedom. We might call it freedom for excellence. The idea there is that there is some kind of natural (or possibly cultural) goal of beings. And you are the freer the more easily and quickly you can progress towards that end. The whole of Christianity - until modern times at least - is suffused with that notion.

Basically, a modern will worry whether a saint in heaven will be free, because the saint lacks the choice there to sin. Whereas an ancient would say that the saint in heaven is perfectly free, namely of the shackles of sin. It is hard to see how Christianity can become a modern exercise of freedom of choice. But that basically is the project of liberal Christianity.

quote:
Partly, I realize the only reason it's not my name at the top of this Hellcall is because I'm just quieter, get bored too easily, and have a tendency to delete half of what I write. I'm at least as much of an emotionless, prideful asshole as anyone else here; I just hide it better.

I take it with this introduction we are now in the mode of "we are birds of a feather, and here is how I am overcoming our shared affliction." But while I appreciate the effort that went into typing all this up, I'm afraid it doesn't speak to me at all.

I am happy with who I am, for the most part. Except perhaps for a period of about two years, I have in my religious ventures always belonged to a spiritual community that has other attitudes and interests than I do. And whenever I feel like giving something back to the community, I seem to get elected or put into one of two types of positions: either dealing with newbies / inquirers, or handling some crisis or the other. In both cases quite a lot of interactions with people are needed, and the outcomes are very important for the community. I tend to do rather well in these roles...

Now, it is true that I'm not particularly socially minded "by nature". It's more a learned skill set, that I can and do apply - rather successfully, it has to be said. But it's work, it's a role. I'm not on SoF to work. I don't care to play a role here. I'm just having fun, fun as advertised.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
IngoB, I don't know if you're feeling public-spirited at the moment, but you'd be doing the denizens a huge favor if you'd draw an argumentative bead on Byron. Plus it's your thread -- don't let him usurp it!

I did not take part in the threads that people have issues over with Byron. I was not interested then, I am not interested now. This is also not my thread. It is a thread about me. Short may it die.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
What a good idea. Bourbon I mean, not cheap bourbon. Maker's Mark, here I come.

Eijah Craig or Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
saysay takes the ancient portable boom box from off her dresser, puts a 1994 Blues Traveler CD in it, and forwards to Hook. She hands the boom box to Kelly with instructions to stand outside orfeo's house with it held over her head like John Cusak in Say Anything.

She buys a dozen roses and knocks on orfeo's door.

Baby, please, I didn't mean it. Come on baby, you know I just lose control sometimes when I'm around you. I promise, baby, it'll never happen again.

Well, no, I'm not admitting that I did anything wrong. But that thing I did that made you so mad, I promise I'll never do it again, even though there's nothing wrong with it. Nobody's ever kicked me out of a public space with no community for doing what I'm doing, so you shouldn't have a problem with me doing it in your family.

But it's funny when you get mad and cry, and if you just take me back, you'll eventually see that. No, don't get mad again. saysay sticks out her lower lip and gives her best big-eyed puppydog look.

Come on, you're my boo. Who's my boo? orfeo looks at Kelly who is making faces and dancing trying to cheer him up. There, I see the edges of a smile there. You're my boo and you know it.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
Dear Byron,

You missed the timing point, which was the critical one, completely. You wanted to know why your apology wasn't accepted. THAT WAS WHY.

Looks like you also missed the part where I acknowledged my own lack of grace.

I saw it, but it's gone a fair way beyond a lack of grace.

As for timing, as people are so fond of pointing out, this isn't face to face. I was sending a message to the other side of the globe before I signed off. PMs don't demand an immediate response. You had the option of taking five, ten, a day, whatever.

And yeah, I expressed surprise in-thread, 'cause you fired off a bunch of posts arguing your position. If I don't want to discuss something, I simply don't discuss it, or say, "Not now, OK?" You gave every impression of someone who very much wanted to discuss it.
quote:
I scrolled past the rest. Apparently I've read it before. Also, I've gone back into the not caring mode again because let's face it, it's possible to predict the next 2 or 3 steps in this conversation without breaking a sweat.
Your prerogative, I just wanted to make clear I hadn't tried to continue the thread by PM.
quote:
Oh God, I couldn't help notice another bit. A tort that looks exactly like a crime.

[Killing me]

You know just enough about the law to make a complete fool of yourself every time you talk about it.

ALL torts look exactly like crimes.

In the sense of two parties in an adversarial proceeding, sure. In the sense of the weight of the state bearing down on an individual, not so much.

There's a world of difference between Barfly Jim pursuing Ye Olde Whisky Store for giving him the wrong brand of bourbon, and the full might of the state censoring the expression of an opinion, with threat of contempt proceedings if it's disobeyed.
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Dear misinterpreting fuckface,

Nobody is even remotely upset by your insults. They're amusingly clumsy, but we understand that such skills take a while to cultivate.

What many people are feeling - justifiably - frustrated with, is your liberal alterations of what you claim other people are saying. This is further self-scuttled by the conjecture you present for their reasoning or assertions about what feelings they did, or should, have.

You have yet to actually engage with anybody, even once, with an even marginally accurate conceptualization of their stance. THAT is why you are reviled. Asshole.

What "stance"? This thread began with a monosyllable -- ah, those sophisticated hellish insults! -- and went downhill from there. I asked how people wanted IngoB's posting style to change. Constructive discussion did not follow, 'cause that's not the purpose, and never was (an inference, I admit).
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What "stance"?

You know, those things that people post? They have meaning. Sometimes.

quote:
This thread...
...had fuck-all to do with you.
Then you started mis-representing their stances, like you seem to invariably do.
Then they started pointing out that this is a pattern with you, and would you please fuck off and die?

And here we are. Watching shit come out of an asshole.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the sense of two parties in an adversarial proceeding, sure. In the sense of the weight of the state bearing down on an individual, not so much.

You have totally failed to grasp the distinction between substance and procedure. If you stab me in the arm, the question whether you have committed the crime of assault, to be determined according to the criminal standard of proof, and the weight of the state would be against you. I could also sue you for damages for assault, to be determined on the civil standard.

These are matters of procedure, but the substance of the proceedings is the same, the determination of your liability for your action. It is hard to think of any tort which is not also a crime - and in the ultimate, this is the reason why tort claims for pure economic loss have been strongly discouraged in the courts over the centuries.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
There's a world of difference between Barfly Jim pursuing Ye Olde Whisky Store for giving him the wrong brand of bourbon, and the full might of the state censoring the expression of an opinion, with threat of contempt proceedings if it's disobeyed.

If Barfly Jim takes Ye Olde Whisky Store to court (though I'm not sure what cause of action we're even talking here), and the court says that Barfly Jim is in the right, and orders him some kind of compensation, and the Ye Olde Whisky Store doesn't comply, then you have contempt of court proceedings for disobeying the court.

I'm not seeing the difference here.

I'm also not seeing what the fuss is about the particular law when Andrew Bolt could have been sued for defamation. If the people he wrote about in his article wanted money, they would have done that. They made a complaint under the Racial Discrimination Act because they were seeking an apology rather than money. Apparently this is enough to make the whole world of free speech collapse in a heap.

[ 18. February 2015, 01:03: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
quote:
What "stance"?

You know, those things that people post? They have meaning. Sometimes.

quote:
This thread...
...had fuck-all to do with you.
Then you started mis-representing their stances, like you seem to invariably do.
Then they started pointing out that this is a pattern with you, and would you please fuck off and die?

And here we are. Watching shit come out of an asshole.

You did warn us.

And saysay, as hilarious as I found your little ... thing, I think you want me to be pulling a John Cusak on Ariston, not orfeo. Which I will happily do.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
.... Mousethief Cooler!

(A la Mornington Crescent, but for Hell threads that need to fucking die already)

[Killing me]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Veneration of the Turd

St. IgnoB of Shit gets a feast day.
I could be persuaded to write a Toparion and a Kontakion, as long as it's in the 1st tone.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Neither the proposed Veneration of the Turd, nor the faux transatlantic posturing is sufficient to disturb my hostly slumbers... yet.

I'm hearing this in the voice of James Earl Jones...

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mummy make the thread stop.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:

Why? Byron is effortlessly carrying off Numpty of (this or any other) Year. There's the occasional smell of frying grass as Ingo casts another Olympian thunderbolt. Ariston is working the sackcloth, saysay is holding some sort of street party, and Kelly is flinging cocktails. What's not to like?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I momentarily considered it, but Stupid is carbon-neutral and infinitely renewable.

We're going to let it burn for a while longer.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Star Wars redux

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ace! lmfao

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Star Wars redux

Geez. Don't you have any, you know, priest-stuff to do?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

meh

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Star Wars redux

Excellent!
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

No words, Pyx. [Overused]

--------------------

Erroneous Monk
Shipmate
# 10858

- Posted      Profile for Erroneous Monk   Email Erroneous Monk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB can be very kind. That's from my perspective as a bruised reed that he's propped up rather than broken, and a wavering flame that he keeps sheltering and trimming.

--------------------
And I shot a man in Tesco, just to watch him die.

Posts: 2950 | From: I cannot tell you, for you are not a friar | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Star Wars redux

Top kek!

(And the non-geeks say lol.)

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e gets the Oscar.

[And after pleading for the thread to be closed as well.]

Speech!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

There are links, and then there are links.

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are links, and then there are links.

Magnificent!!!!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was IngoB just playful?

On the Ship??

Pyx_e, you're a miracle worker.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016