homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
deano, if you don't like interaction with poor people why do you go to Tesco? Isn't Waitrose more your scene? Sheesh, if you aren't wearing a Barbour jacket you don't get in!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Has anybody noticed, by the way, that this thread is an absolute gift for Famous Last Posts?)

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
(Has anybody noticed, by the way, that this thread is an absolute gift for Famous Last Posts?)

Yeah, I've restrained myself a couple of times already.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I don't like interaction with poor people.

Either did Dives, and look how he ended up. Signed, Lazarus.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But I always end up going to the local Tesco's anyway...
The only problem I have is with something realy lightweight, such as a greeting card.

Bunch of carnies from the garage and that's the wedding anniversary taken care of.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by axe wielding bunny:

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by M.:
Last Remembrance Day, Macarius and I were in a supermarket at 11 am. All through the 2 mins silence, there came the plaintive cry of 'unexpected item in bagging area'.

Don't these machines have any respect?

M.
[Snigger]

(oh forgive me.)

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

Oh yes, it was definitely that. You could see everyone with bowed heads trying to look very solemn and not giggle, no, no, not giggle at all.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
deano, if you don't like interaction with poor people why do you go to Tesco? Isn't Waitrose more your scene? Sheesh, if you aren't wearing a Barbour jacket you don't get in!

Our nearest Waitrose is in Sheffield. There is talk of one opening in Chesterfield, but we'll just have to live in hope.

Anyway, like I said, we have delivery most often than not.

Second, our nearest supermarket is Tesco's, and I get my fuel there as well, so it's usually convenient to pop in there is we need something.

If I close my eyes and don't breathe too deeply I can usually pretend it's Waitrose there anyway.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
I don't like interaction with poor people.

Either did Dives, and look how he ended up. Signed, Lazarus.
Obvious troll is obvious, signed me.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Bunch of carnies from the garage and that's the wedding anniversary taken care of.

That must mean something different in the UK than it does here - I doubt a bunch of these folks would do much for most people's anniversaries... [Eek!]

[edited for coding cock-up]

[ 14. March 2014, 12:22: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm British and I have no idea what a "carny from the garage" is.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Google could translate from supermarket jargon to plain English:

"Unexpected item in bagging area" = "this customer is trying to steal something by not scanning it"

Whereas in reality it means, "let's risk a bit of shrinkage (but not too much) because we want to replace working class people with computers".

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's particularly stupid, because surely anyone who was going to steal an item would be smart enough not to put it in the bagging area. If I wanted to steal something from a grocery store, I'd pick a high cost items like nutella or something and pack them into a purse or backpack without scanning them. It wouldn't be much more suspicious than I usually am since I usually put the things in my backpack after I buy and bag them.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

It's a carnivorous sandwich.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
It's particularly stupid, because surely anyone who was going to steal an item would be smart enough not to put it in the bagging area. If I wanted to steal something from a grocery store, I'd pick a high cost items like nutella or something and pack them into a purse or backpack without scanning them. It wouldn't be much more suspicious than I usually am since I usually put the things in my backpack after I buy and bag them.

Is this just the first in a series of posts on shoplifting tips, tricks and techniques, Gwai?
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It took me a moment, but carnies = carnations.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
quote:

Is this just the first in a series of posts on shoplifting tips, tricks and techniques, Gwai?
Looking to learn? [Biased]

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It probably harks back to the schemes that were common a few years ago of people picking up a bar-code scanner as they come into the store and scanning goods as they went (the self-scan lanes are pretty similar in technology). Everyone I knew using that scheme had shopping bags in their trolley, and everything went straight into the bags (saved on re-bagging later). It would be relatively easy to mis-scan something and put it in the bag without noticing it hadn't registered on the scanner. A mistake easily rectified if noticed before leaving the store. If, however, you mis-scan something and put it in your purse rather than the bags with the rest of the groceries it's a bit harder to explain the nutella if the security guard asks what you have in your purse.

Likewise, if you don't notice that the jar of nutella didn't scan it would go into the bag at the self-service. The scales on the bagging area allow you to rectify that before payment. Though, most times I find the "unexpected item" was scanned properly, it just isn't resting on the scales properly to come up to the right weight.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trin
Shipmate
# 12100

- Posted      Profile for Trin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only problem I have with those checkouts is the ambiguous queuing. It's not often a problem though because so many people are scared of them you can generally just jump straight on.

I don't know what the rest of you are doing wrong. It's pretty easy to understand what it wants from you.

Posts: 442 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bet we would never find out but I would like to ask the supermarkets how many people they prosecute for shoplifting these days.

I wouldn't have thought they would have accused anyone who used the self-service facilities of actually shoplifting. They would probably just point out they had accidentally not scanned something and would they like to pay for it please.

I would only expect them to prosecute if someone was obviously hiding something up their jumper or in a bag (not a supermarket-supplied carrier bag).

I reckon - and I have never done this you understand - that you could just shove a bottle of whisky or what-have-you accross the scanner, barcode facing away, and straight into your bag. You would probably get away with it as well and if you didn't it would not result in prosecution. Just a pleasant agreement that the "beep" sound is a little quiet and that will be twenty-five pounds please. Sorry for the inconvenience.

But as I say I haven't done it and would not condone it. Besides, I don't drink cheap whisky these days.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
quote:

It took me a moment, but carnies = carnations.
Top of the class and give out the pencils.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Unexpected item in bagging area" = "this customer is trying to steal something by not scanning it"

Whereas in reality it means, "let's risk a bit of shrinkage (but not too much) because we want to replace working class people with computers".

There was a news item a couple of weeks ago, saying that a very sizeable minority of self-scanners have given up trying to rectify the mistakes of the machine and just go home with the unpaid-for goods.

A slightly smaller minority actively use self-scanning to lower their grocery bill.

The big supermarkets, while not getting completely hosed on this, are taking a relatively big hit. I suppose they feel that their margins are such that it's worth it (for them).

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cost of unpaid goods v. cost of no longer needed employees.
Food margins are typically lower than other retail goods. However the cost of one iPod is worth several customer's entire grocery purchase. So the nicked item or two does not compare to the savings of fewer employees.
The DIY with the permanent staff manning the self-check is one staff person for 6 stations. That is a considerable savings and frustration theft is not a problem due to the attendant. And I would recon regular theft at register is down same reason.

[ 14. March 2014, 15:41: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I frequently desert a self-service checkout when it malfunctions or if there is no assistant in sight - I just remove everything back into my shopping basket and take it to a staffed checkout.

From a distance, I can watch with annoyance two assistants suddenly turn up to work out why it has clocked up some items but is deserted half way through an operation.

[ 14. March 2014, 16:06: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure you could steal much from the self-service checkouts, because there is always an assistant who is around checking things out. They have to be there because the system always goes wrong.

When I shop, I normally go to Londis, where they have an actual person, so I don't need to consider the self-service checkouts. I do feel sometimes that if the machine gives me an "unexpected item", then I will have to see how it deals with my arse in the bagging area.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

There was a news item a couple of weeks ago, saying that a very sizeable minority of self-scanners have given up trying to rectify the mistakes of the machine and just go home with the unpaid-for goods.

A slightly smaller minority actively use self-scanning to lower their grocery bill.

The big supermarkets, while not getting completely hosed on this, are taking a relatively big hit. I suppose they feel that their margins are such that it's worth it (for them).

Precisely. What they loose on shrinkage they save by not paying a human being a decent living wage. It's a simple equation, if what people get away with stealing works out to be less than what it costs to pay Doris and Dave, then screw Doris and Dave.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I go to Waitrose, and I use the self scanner, because it gives me a running total and saves me lining up at the only till that does fewer than 6 items where the queue is about ten long, or the others where the trolleys are stuffed full. I still interact with a salesperson because I have a newspaper voucher, being a subscriber, and the scanner cannot cope with scanning the bar code on it.
Now and again I have a random rescan, but I don't have much on it. (I think if I did, I would get another trolley. Out of one into the other.) It is irritating when everything has been neatly packed in boxes according to a plan.

[ 14. March 2014, 16:19: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My particular bugbear is the bags - I find them well-nigh impossible to prise open as the two sides seem to be bonded at the molecular level, so find myself struggling to open the bag whilst "place item you have just scanned into the bagging area" is nagging me on continuous loop. [Mad]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:

This sounds like something from a Smiths song.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is the carry it in your hand and scan as you go scanner. It is also useful for checking the prices of things that aren't clear - is it included in a special offer or not, for example.
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

When I'm buying our Sunday evening bottle of Rioja I like the use the self-scanner. This is because the machine always says, "Approval needed" and I get to insist on speaking to the in-house Sommelier.
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just the other day I stopped into my local grocery store on the way home - but I hadn't planned to, so I didn't have my own bag with me. (When I do, I just wait to bag my items till I've paid.)

Here in this part of CA, they've banned those cheap thin plastic bags, and you have to pay for paper or reusable plastic. No problem, it's only a dime for a paper bag, and I need them to recycle shredded paper in. So I scanned the bag, opened it, and set it in the bagging area. Naturally, it didn't register, and asked me if I wanted to skip bagging. The lady who was working the self-check-out area was off somewhere doing Lord knows what, so I couldn't get any assistance, and it wouldn't let me proceed. So I clicked "skip bagging."

Figuring if it didn't register, I could still set it down and still bag my groceries, I placed it back in the bagging area...and the damn thing started squawking this thread title at me.

The lady working the area was still MIA, so I just held on to the bag and went on with my order, and bagged it after I paid.

But other shoppers, and the employee who had finally returned to her post, started getting involved, trying to instruct me after the fact. I was told that you have to put the bag on the scale, 'cause it knows how much it weighs. "No, it doesn't," I said, and left in a really pissy mood.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other side of this whole gripe fest is my wife, who goes out of her way to pick the longest human-run check-out line. More time to thumb through the celebrity gossip magazines.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The bananas need to go in last, on top of everything, otherwise the tins are likely to break the skin and mashed banana gets everywhere.

SEE, orfeo? [Razz]

...I guess I have to concede that you were absolutely right, and I was being flip in a way that probably comes around to making me look kind of thick about the basic laws of physics in regards to produce. Thank you for giving me the benefit of your wisdom.
How gracious of you! No thanks necessary, just pay it forward.

[Angel]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
My particular bugbear is the bags - I find them well-nigh impossible to prise open as the two sides seem to be bonded at the molecular level, so find myself struggling to open the bag whilst "place item you have just scanned into the bagging area" is nagging me on continuous loop. [Mad]

Aargh. Oh yes. "Please scan another item. Now. Or I will GET UPSET and I will CALL FOR THE ASSISTANT and you REALLY DON'T WANT THAT, DO YOU?!?!?"

There is a knack to opening the bags that one of the checkout people showed me, but it's a bit difficult to describe.

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stick your finger in and gently pull?

(The same place with the woman who knew all of the codes had machines that greeted you with a "welcome valued shopper" after you scanned your discount card. Try getting that kind of greeting from a human checkout person.)

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gently pull both top corners in opposite directions simultaneously, to stretch the bag flat, without tearing it. Then rub one corner between thumb and forefinger while the corner is still stretched. Eventually, it will slide apart.

The human checkout persons usually greet you with a cheery "'Ello, orright?" which is fine. It can be a bit disconcerting getting "How's your day been?" as I'm sure they probably don't really want to know, but I'm getting used to the "Enjoy the rest of your day" on parting, to which I always reply affably, "And you too", though being stuck on a checkout scanning barcodes for the next 6 hours wouldn't be my idea of a nice day.

Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On one occasion, an assistant persuaded me to go through the self-service checkout on the basis that she would do the scanning for me - which she did. However, she then she seemed to expect me to pay the machine. Instead, I asked her how much I owed and, when she told me, I handed her some £20 notes and waited for her to give me my change. I thought that was wonderful.

I just wish Booth's had a store a little nearer. They haven't installed self-service checkouts, and are prepared to put enough staff on the tills that there is usually at least one waiting for the next customer. A friend of mine claims that you have to provide a testimonial from a bishop or a colonel to get a job there, and a colleague swore that the man who served her at the butchery counter used to be her bank manager.

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
though being stuck on a checkout scanning barcodes for the next 6 hours wouldn't be my idea of a nice day.

A job ideally suited to a non-boreable machine.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:
though being stuck on a checkout scanning barcodes for the next 6 hours wouldn't be my idea of a nice day.

A job ideally suited to a non-boreable machine.
Not in an economic climate when it's either that or skipping meals so your kids can eat.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

I estimate how many bags I will need and open them all before I begin scanning.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We do our main shopping at the German supermarket and go to either of the other two big ones here in Oz for anything they don't carry. As it is usually just a few items I mostly use the self service. One evening after pay by credit card I looked down and saw a 20 dollar note hanging out of the cash point, I quickly snatched it up!! I did feel somewhat guilty but the attendant was hovering in the area and hadn't noticed. I did put ten dollars of it in with my weekly tithe!!

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
The human checkout persons usually greet you with a cheery "'Ello, orright?" which is fine. It can be a bit disconcerting getting "How's your day been?" as I'm sure they probably don't really want to know, but I'm getting used to the "Enjoy the rest of your day" on parting, to which I always reply affably, "And you too", though being stuck on a checkout scanning barcodes for the next 6 hours wouldn't be my idea of a nice day.

Checkout people here seem to be trained to ask "did you find everything you needed today?" Not that they have a way of recording it if you didn't, so I don't know why they bother telling them to ask you; false sense of being cared for, I guess.

--------------------

The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suffer from so much free floating anxiety that I can't use the self checkout lanes at all, lest I have a complete nervous breakdown. I'm not kidding, sadly. I just get too flustered with those machines always blaring out the instructions and seeming to get impatient with my fumbling attempts at compliance. Not worth the tears and rage.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When I'm buying our Sunday evening bottle of Rioja I like the use the self-scanner. This is because the machine always says, "Approval needed" and I get to insist on speaking to the in-house Sommelier.

Do you check with your Boss first? I am not sure he would approve of you shopping on Sunday.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the absence of the wonderful Comet,
Can i just channel...

'You bunch of pathetic losers. In my world, we only scan for bears cos we want to kill and eat those fuckers before they kill and eat us first. And hrumph, an unexpected item in the bagging area. Pissweak*. We have expected items in the body-bagging areas.'

*Yes, I know- Australian, not Alaskan or Prehistoric or whatever the hell it is.

And dear Comet, [Razz] , I understand that you will make me pay for this one day soon.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must say that the only time I've ever used a self scanner was in SW England. There was a cheery old gent who volunteered to help me. When it came time to pay, I just showed him a handful of change and feigned ignorance. Other than that, I think those machines can go to Hades. Only see them locally in Canada in the big box stores where they also have human beings. If my grocer installed them that would be the last time I darkened his doorstep.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
In the absence of the wonderful Comet,
Can i just channel...

'You bunch of pathetic losers. In my world, we only scan for bears cos we want to kill and eat those fuckers before they kill and eat us first. And hrumph, an unexpected item in the bagging area. Pissweak*. We have expected items in the body-bagging areas.'

*Yes, I know- Australian, not Alaskan or Prehistoric or whatever the hell it is.

And dear Comet, [Razz] , I understand that you will make me pay for this one day soon.

[Killing me]
Somewhere, a redhead has dropped her prayer beads and clenched her fists, not knowing why.

(UNLESS SHE'S PEEKING, OF COURSE! [Disappointed] )

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:

you have a month to live. enjoy it while you can.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
How gracious of you! No thanks necessary, just pay it forward.

[Angel]

What do you know about bananas, anyway? You can't even pronounce them properly.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Checkout people here seem to be trained to ask "did you find everything you needed today?" Not that they have a way of recording it if you didn't, so I don't know why they bother telling them to ask you; false sense of being cared for, I guess.

I've always assumed they ask so that they can tell you that the widgets or whatever are in aisle sixteen. In better times, they'd send the bagger to aisle sixteen to get the widgets for you.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016