homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Checkout people here seem to be trained to ask "did you find everything you needed today?" Not that they have a way of recording it if you didn't, so I don't know why they bother telling them to ask you; false sense of being cared for, I guess.

I've always assumed they ask so that they can tell you that the widgets or whatever are in aisle sixteen. In better times, they'd send the bagger to aisle sixteen to get the widgets for you.
Yes, the bagger. We don't generally have baggers here in the UK. That gets left to cub-scout doing fundraising. I mean, why demean an adult when you get children to do the very most menial of tasks?
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good God, dude, you make Ebenezer Scrooge look like a hippie. Fuck you, being a bagger is demeaning. Fuck you, Get the Boy Scouts to lower themselves. I bet the average Boy Scout could kick your ass bloody, but he won't because helping some old lady with her bags is a much more noble, honorable thing to do.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Good God, dude, you make Ebenezer Scrooge look like a hippie. Fuck you, being a bagger is demeaning. Fuck you, Get the Boy Scouts to lower themselves. I bet the average Boy Scout could kick your ass bloody, but he won't because helping some old lady with her bags is a much more noble, honorable thing to do.

My kids are those cub-scouts. At Christmas they did three consecutive six hour days and youngest is only eight. Tesco paid me for them by bank transfer to an offshore account. I've been sworn to secrecy because child labour is illegal here in the UK apparently....Oh. Oops.
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Checkout people here seem to be trained to ask "did you find everything you needed today?" Not that they have a way of recording it if you didn't, so I don't know why they bother telling them to ask you; false sense of being cared for, I guess.

I've always assumed they ask so that they can tell you that the widgets or whatever are in aisle sixteen. In better times, they'd send the bagger to aisle sixteen to get the widgets for you.
In my country town, an assistant is called from (presumeably on high) to fetch items e.g. where a bag of flour is leaking, and must be replaced. But DM probably has them heading for the tall timber rather than approach... they not being loaded for clerics.
[Snigger]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Back when they actually had baggers. Sigh.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

Either he only shops twice a year or he is trolling. No points for guessing which. I'll give DM this, unlike some of the other knobs we have here, DM has 2 hats. Today he is deano Jr.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checkout assistants who bag everything are a nuisance - it slows the system down (unless it is an elderly person or one of those idiots who stand there and watch everything before starting to pack, after which they can't find their purse) and they have a habit of putting fragile articles, like eggs, in first before bottles.

Here's a tip for the dishonest - someone who is really poor told me that he regularly looks at the self-service checkouts and finds change that hasn't been collected. On Thursday, he got £15 in notes and a few coins. Not back when all he purchased was a pint of semi-skimmed milk.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Checkout assistants who bag everything are a nuisance - it slows the system down

What do you want them to do, leave it on the counter so you can carry out the unbagged items in your arms?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Checkout assistants who bag everything are a nuisance

Why don't you just politely thank them for their offer of help, but please don't worry about packing anything for you?

(That way you won't get your bananas smashed.)

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Checkout assistants who bag everything are a nuisance - it slows the system down

What do you want them to do, leave it on the counter so you can carry out the unbagged items in your arms?
No pack it myself.

I already have my bag(s) open and ready, my nectar card and credit card to hand - i do that whilst still in the queue.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Checkout assistants who bag everything are a nuisance

Why don't you just politely thank them for their offer of help, but please don't worry about packing anything for you?

(That way you won't get your bananas smashed.)

I do. And as for the boy scouts in uniform who want to to do it, I am not going to donate to a paramilitary organisation. Maybe if it was the Woodcraft Folk....

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

leo, are you really saying that the boy scouts are a "paramilitary organisation"?
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
quote:

I share your pain. I mean, without the servants who's going to mow the lawn?
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
leo, are you really saying that the boy scouts are a "paramilitary organisation"?

Please don't get him started, otherwise before we know it he'll be listing al the apparently anti Semitic hymns in the English Hymnal

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that the predecessors of the Brownies were called Rosebuds. [Projectile]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:

Yes.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:

Please don't get him started, otherwise before we know it he'll be listing al the apparently anti Semitic hymns in the English Hymnal
If you want.

I can also do Hymns Ancient & Modern, protestant though it is.

Be careful what you wish for.

--------------------

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
I have heard that the predecessors of the Brownies were called Rosebuds. [Projectile]

An obvious hotbed of militancy, brainwashing and political radicalism.
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought a paramilitary organisation lurking around the supermarket would be the PERFECT place for leo to unload any of those evil warmongering 2 pound Kitchener coins that he receives in his change.

Two unique leo 'problems' solved in one fell stroke.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

So, the kids who pack my bags for pennies at Christmas are actually brutalised child soldiers being held captive by local crime Barons impersonating Jungle Book characters? OK.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, the Scouts a paramilitary organization? I never met a bigger bunch of tree-hugging liberal hippie freaks than when I worked at Scout camps. Teach kids to lead, teach them to take action, teach them to give a shit about their worlds and communities, and, surprise surprise, they do.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes.
You really ARE a bitter, ignorant sod, aren't you?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
quote:

Yes.
Hey, now! He likes Muslims.

--------------------

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just because I got my rifle cleaning and water boarding badges...
Say have any of you seen the ninja scouts?

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
quote:

Yes.
Hey, now! He likes Muslims.
Only because none of them have met him.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Check-outs eh? If it's not idiotic, badly-designed technology, it's bloody paramilitaries mulching your bananas in the hopes you'll throw a bit of loose change in their plastic buckets (why can't they fund themselves by drug-dealing and extortion like everyone else?)
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To be fair to leo, Baden-Powell was specifically interested in generating military scouts - though they developed some distance from the original concept.

The child soldiers would be cadets. You do get them bagging sometimes.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen Baden-Powell's grave. Its in the middle of a road, opposite the post office.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
To be fair to leo, Baden-Powell was specifically interested in generating military scouts - though they developed some distance from the original concept.

Yes, a bit like how that obscure Jewish sect, the 'Christians', developed a bit from the original concept.

Oh wait, this is leo's mind we're delving into. Silly me.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

Oh wait, this is leo's mind we're delving into. Silly me.

How can you delve in something that shallow?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo's next post will be his 20,000th. I'm really looking forward to something profound that will encapsulate his world-view.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have one local grocery store where, to my best recollection, I have never successfully operated the self checkout machines. There is always some reason why an attendant has to come and help. I suspect that many others have the same issue as the self checkout machines are largely deserted even when the cashier lines are long.

I'm not sure why the machines appear to be acting in such a mischievous manner; except that perhaps they get bored humming along with computer brains and only the occasional can of crushed tomatoes to keep them company.

At our other local grocery there is always a line at the self checkout area. In fact, it is usually longer to go there than to go to a cashier. Unless I am in a hurry I try to go to the self checkout area because it is quite entertaining. I get to watch the LOP's (Little Old People) put items on the scale and then in their cart at a slow and deliberate pace; meaning I also get to watch younger people twitch in gestures of impatience, or text furiously on their social media devices to kill time. I get to watch parents of young children split their time between checking out and grabbing the candy and gum their children have found conveniently located within reach on the self checkout shelves. At certain times of day I get to watch bleary eyed people try to figure out how to check out their snackage through a chemically induced fog without appearing to be impaired. I even get to see visibly intoxicated guys try to balance while attempting to buy a 12 pack.

And when it is my turn I realize that I am paying the consuming public back for the show they put on for me by putting on a show for them as the voice of the checkout machine chides me about whatever silly thing I have done and I actually try to communicate back to the machine by speaking to it.

YMMV. My experience is that having a sense of humor about myself makes self checkout experiences much more enjoyable.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
Leo's next post will be his 20,000th. I'm really looking forward to something profound that will encapsulate his world-view.

Well, in Heaven he has already bitched about people enjoying their church coffee hours. I think that says volumes.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
quote:

Well, in Heaven he has already bitched about people enjoying their church coffee hours. I think that says volumes.
He's snarling on the World Poetry Day thread too, describing poetry as "Arty-Farty". Has the guy never read "The Ballad of Eskimo Nell?" Definitely NSFW, so I won't even provide a link.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to be charitable along the lines of the Churchill riposte of tomorrow he'll be sober, but leo's already back charming all on the Coffee Snacks thread with an admission he only goes if there's booze on offer, which suggests he either never sobers up or he really is a curmudgeonly git.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was leo's 20,000th post! What a gift to us all.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of scouts roaming the checkout areas - around here it's Girl Scouts, and they tackle you outside the store and sell you cookies.

Since the right wing has started ranting about GSA, I consider it an obligation to buy as many cookies as I can during the season.
If I gain five pounds this Lent (why do they always sell cookies during Lent, anyway?) it'll be the Tea Party's fault.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I don't understand the hostility toward service jobs that is represented by Daronmedway's comment and leo's attitude toward bagging, and some others. Stores are devolving their services on their customers -- making us do more and more of the work that stores used to do for us.

How much of that are you willing to put up with? You're clearly giddy that you get to do the work of the bagger for the store. We've long since been carrying our groceries to our cars. Now they want us to scan our own groceries. Will you be happy when you are required to stock shelves for an hour --without pay-- before you can buy anything? "Self-service" is a way for companies to hire and pay fewer people, and outsource the work they used to perform to their customers. The result is fewer employed people, and customers becoming unpaid employees of the businesses that are supposed to be serving them.

--------------------

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But presumably this process started when supermarkets were created? You used to stand at a shop counter and ask the clerk behind it for the items you wanted. Now you have to find the items themselves.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
But presumably this process started when supermarkets were created? You used to stand at a shop counter and ask the clerk behind it for the items you wanted. Now you have to find the items themselves.

I actually thought of that when I was halfway through my screed but was too lazy to go back and add it in. I can see the logic of having us find our own items, inasmuch as the old Dry Good store model can't serve the number of people that a supermarket does, and our population centers have grown such that it's no longer a viable model.

I'm not sure having us bag our own groceries is in the same ballpark. It doesn't create a chokepoint in the grocery-buying experience (for lack of a better term) to have one more employee stuffing things into bags. And real cashiers can far better work machines they have been professionally trained to work than hapless and harried customers. If the checkout lines are too long and make the self-check seem like a time-saving option, that rather supports my argument than the oppositions -- we need more employees, not fewer, at the grocery store.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
That was leo's 20,000th post! What a gift to us all.

Wow - too many posts - must get out more - perhaps to do some shopping and place some unexpected items in the bagging area.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Anglican't
quote:
You used to stand at a shop counter and ask the clerk behind it for the items you wanted.
Or you were fortunate to have either a Home & Colonial or International Stores branch. They had order forms (yellow IMMC) which listed all sorts of staples and you filled in what you wanted, how much, etc. Turn-round time was 24 hours: if you got the form in by closing on a Thursday, the order arrived on Friday afternoon - ours came via a boy on a bike with a massive basket on the front.

You settled the bill the next time you were in the shop, or you had an account that they sent out once a month.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stop whinging about self-service checkouts redusing jobs. Yes of course they are.

Any kind of simple, repeatable manual process is game for automation.

Why pick on self-service checkouts? What about self-service petrol stations, or library check in and out, or self-check in for flights.

It's inevitable and wont stop I'm afraid. People have to realise that these jobs are temporary. Again it comes down to lack of education and qualifications. Get a better education, work harder at school, and you will end up with a better more secure job.

Fuck up your school life and you will fuck up the rest of your life.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You hear this rubbish from those who spin in clockwise circles, but what would happen if everyone made the most of education and opportunity?

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
You hear this rubbish from those who spin in clockwise circles, but what would happen if everyone made the most of education and opportunity?

Enough of these smug bastards already exist to make everyone's life a misery, including, in the long term, their own.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Since the right wing has started ranting about GSA, I consider it an obligation to buy as many cookies as I can during the season.
If I gain five pounds this Lent (why do they always sell cookies during Lent, anyway?) it'll be the Tea Party's fault.

Whatever you gotta do to justify buying the cookies. For me the fact that it is a fund raiser is usually enough justification, but I don't get cable news, so it's very hard keeping up with what I should be outraged by this week.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Any kind of simple, repeatable manual process is game for automation.

Actually, I'm not sure that the manual processes don't resist automation rather better than the intellectual ones...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

Jobs would magically drop out of the clouds and we'd all be employed.

Either that or they'd find some other, even more arbitrary, way to exclude people, and we'd all be chided for not jumping through that hoop.

--------------------

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Since the right wing has started ranting about GSA,

You know you've been hanging out on Ship of Fools too long when you're trying to work out how "G" fits in with "substitutionary atonement"...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
real cashiers can far better work machines they have been professionally trained to work than hapless and harried customers.

Professionally trained? 10 minute orientation, and then if your lucky they work the till with someone standing at their shoulder until they pick it up. Perhaps I should set up a training company, I could make a fortune supply training for checkout operators: "take the can, pass the barcode over the scanner, repeat with next item" - there's your certificate in checkout operation, that will be £500 Mr Supermarket Manager. Advanced checkout operation, including how to push the "next customer" marker up the slide beside the conveyor, that'll be £1000.

[ 16. March 2014, 20:49: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016