homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always try to pick a checkout with a middle aged lady – then I know that there is a fighting chance she will pack a bag properly. She has spent half a lifetime doing it.

The last time I went to one of the young men, I had a 2Kg bag of potatoes packed on top of 2 loaves of bread, the bread was unusable when I got it home. And yes I have had the banana mush situation too.

When they have the charity bag packers , I tend to pay them to leave my shopping alone, apart from tins, as they will have difficulty damaging them..

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone tries to come between me and my packing, they die horribly. Bottles and cartons - in the bottle bags: tins, packs, boxed items in the hessian bags: meat, cheeses, yoghurts, desserts in the lighter carriers: heavy veg in the big plastic: fruit and salad in the topmost bags.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use a set of boxes from when the supermarkets experimented with cutting down on bags) and live nearish the RMA Sandhurst.

A while ago the young officers were raising money for one of the army charities by bagging and the two charming lads at the checkout triumphantly looked up from the boxes they'd filled for me, only to see a good quarter of my shopping still on the belt. I politely informed them that I'd had all the stuff in the boxes before I got to the till and invited them to try again. It only took them four goes! Good thing I wasn't in a hurry that day.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
I always try to pick a checkout with a middle aged lady – then I know that there is a fighting chance she will pack a bag properly. She has spent half a lifetime doing it.

And there is a good chance they'll call you "baby" or "honey", too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I can see the logic of having us find our own items, inasmuch as the old Dry Good store model can't serve the number of people that a supermarket does, and our population centers have grown such that it's no longer a viable model.

[..snip..]

If the checkout lines are too long and make the self-check seem like a time-saving option, that rather supports my argument than the oppositions -- we need more employees, not fewer, at the grocery store.

But this is the same argument. It would be quite possible to serve the number of people served in a supermarket in an over-the-counter setup, but it would take a huge number of staff. But nobody is prepared to pay for Grace Brothers any more. It's much, much, cheaper to do self-service, and of course people like to squeeze their own melons.

Do you want checkout operators or cheaper groceries? That is, ultimately, the question. At the moment, most people want checkout operators and, apparently, baggers.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to be a pond difference here. I don't remember ever seeing baggers in UK supermarkets

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It used to be a regular thing. Nowadays you pretty much bag your own stuff unless somebody happens to be free and decides to run by and bag stuff. Least around here.

When I went to Sainsbury's for the first time in Southsea, the cashier gruffly told me I would have to bag my own items because English folk didn't need the coddling Americans did, and I stopped what I was doing-- which was bagging up my stuff- told him I always did,and asked him if he missed my hand already in the bag.

(Most of the cashiers were lovely, though-- I was everyone's "love" in Southsea.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
There seems to be a pond difference here. I don't remember ever seeing baggers in UK supermarkets

I was thinking it went the other way.

But at our supermarket, the cashier puts the grox directly into bags after scanning them, setting aside squishy stuff to make sure it goes on the bottom of the next bag (just kidding) (usually). The groceries never get anywhere near where I can grab them until the cashier sets a full bag in the cart/trolley. I can't really see how it's a lot less efficient than throwing them onto a counter behind her (it's usually her) where I can grab them and bag them. Might add a whole 20 seconds to the whole experience, maybe even 40.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is one supermarket chain here (with one conveniently up the street from me) that still has both cashiers and baggers. The baggers offer to put the groceries in your car for you as well. Prices are about the same, if not a little lower, than the other chains. This store also is the first one to settle any pending labor disputes and during one of the last major strikes was running fully staffed with no picketers annoying shoppers.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Church should think about having a self-serve option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgmQM9cDPHk

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by Leorning Cniht
quote:
...people like to squeeze their own melons.
Why would anyone want to squeeze a melon? It won't tell you whether or not the melon is ripe, only bruise the flesh underneath.

Ripeness is indicated by sniffing the end where the melon has been cut from the plant - if it smells of the fruit its ready to eat.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Sorry to backtrack, but this keeps bugging me.
quote:
Originally posted by daronmedway:
My kids are those cub-scouts. At Christmas they did three consecutive six hour days and youngest is only eight. Tesco paid me for them by bank transfer to an offshore account. I've been sworn to secrecy because child labour is illegal here in the UK apparently....Oh. Oops.

Ok, here's a suggestion: gather your kids and tell them, "I just wrote the wittiest, most impressive thing on Ship of Fools, about Cub Scouts bagging for tips at supermarkets. here, listen to this:
'I mean, why demean an adult when you get children to do the very most menial of tasks?'
Isn't that a scream?" [Yipee]

But before you do, stop and consider-- they probably already have learned a great deal about ropes, knots and knives.

Child labour laws, my foot.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We are asked if we would like help with bagging every single time we go to Tesco, even if we've only bought a carton of milk and a newspaper. I've never heard anyone say yes, they would like help.

We have the charity baggers fairly regularly. A bagging session can net several hundred pounds for whichever school trip etc it's for, much of it from people paying the baggers not to bag!

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

I was thinking it went the other way.

But at our supermarket, the cashier puts the grox directly into bags after scanning them, setting aside squishy stuff to make sure it goes on the bottom of the next bag (just kidding) (usually). The groceries never get anywhere near where I can grab them until the cashier sets a full bag in the cart/trolley. I can't really see how it's a lot less efficient than throwing them onto a counter behind her (it's usually her) where I can grab them and bag them. Might add a whole 20 seconds to the whole experience, maybe even 40.

But that's where you've got to have a system. Make sure all the hard-packaged and heavy items go on the conveyor first, then slowly work up to the lighter, more breakable groceries. Dairy goes on second to last (lighter items first, milk last), and finally the meat, which gets its own bag.

Also, collapsible stacking crates FTW. Three fit width ways in the boot of the car, and I don't have any bags to worry about falling over on the way home. Easier to carry to the house, and easier to empty when I get them into the kitchen.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In both my local uk supermarket chains the cashiers say 'do you need any help with packing' or 'shall i start packing for you'

As i usually have a full trolly family shop, they have got quite a lot of packing done, before i finish emptying the trolly and take over the packing.

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paying someone to bag my shopping for me? Sure, and while we're at it why not pay someone to wipe my ass after I'm done shitting?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Paying someone to bag my shopping for me? Sure, and while we're at it why not pay someone to wipe my ass after I'm done shitting?

One day Marvin, one day .......

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stupid self-wipers, keeping honest working class people out of work.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Folders get what they deserve.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

quote:
But that's where you've got to have a system. Make sure all the hard-packaged and heavy items go on the conveyor first, then slowly work up to the lighter, more breakable groceries. Dairy goes on second to last (lighter items first, milk last), and finally the meat, which gets its own bag.
I do have a system - everything which will be unpacked into the cupboards on the south side of my kitchen into one bag, everything which will be unpacked into the cupboards on the east side into another bag, stuff for the fridge into another bag, stuff for the kitchen freezer into another bag, stuff for the freezer in the garage into another bag, stuff destined for the shower-room upstairs gets its own bag....

Unfortunately this splendid system - so efficient when I get home - isn't intuitively obvious to bag-packers.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you suppose we keep our paramilitary stormtroopers inside supermarkets? It's so when the proletariat workers rise up against the self-scanning bourgoisie, the scouts will suddenly pull out their hidden Heckler and Koch MP10's and swiftly put down the revolution before it even begins.

Hah! Even now we are one step ahead of you. You will work until we tell you to stop, then you will DIE!!!!

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
We are asked if we would like help with bagging every single time we go to Tesco, even if we've only bought a carton of milk and a newspaper. I've never heard anyone say yes, they would like help.

I once said yes, not in Tesco, but in one of the other big supermarkets. I was completely exhausted, had an overflowing trolley and a queue behind me, and I knew I was going to start holding things up. The cashier looked at me as though I'd answered in Serbo Croat, and absolutely nothing happened.

quote:
We have the charity baggers fairly regularly. A bagging session can net several hundred pounds for whichever school trip etc it's for, much of it from people paying the baggers not to bag!

Ah - I'm glad I'm not the only person who (with a friendly smile) says 'I'll pay you if you don't pack my items.'

quote:
I do have a system - everything which will be unpacked into the cupboards on the south side of my kitchen into one bag, everything which will be unpacked into the cupboards on the east side into another bag, stuff for the fridge into another bag, stuff for the kitchen freezer into another bag, stuff for the freezer in the garage into another bag, stuff destined for the shower-room upstairs gets its own bag....

Unfortunately this splendid system - so efficient when I get home - isn't intuitively obvious to bag-packers.

... and this is why! I don't just have a bag of frozen food, but a bag of food that is going to go into the outside freezer (as opposed to the fridge-freezer), some of which might not yet be frozen. If I can get my shopping packed this way I will save myself a great deal of time and effort later, but nobody, not even my husband, can do it for me.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
Why do you suppose we keep our paramilitary stormtroopers inside supermarkets? It's so when the proletariat workers rise up against the self-scanning bourgoisie, the scouts will suddenly pull out their hidden Heckler and Koch MP10's and swiftly put down the revolution before it even begins.

Hah! Even now we are one step ahead of you. You will work until we tell you to stop, then you will DIE!!!!

In which case my son and his mates form the Fifth Column of Young Pioneers.

Up the workers!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
The cashier looked at me as though I'd answered in Serbo Croat, and absolutely nothing happened.

Perhaps that was the problem: you didn't answer in Serbo Croat. If you had, things would have probably moved much more quickly ...

[ 17. March 2014, 10:47: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago one of my daughters had a summer job bagging groceries. The cashier rang things up, and then they moved down to her. She learned to size up not only the items that had already come to her, but also the ones that were to come. She could then figure out how many heavy items and how many fragile ones she had to deal with.

Around here the supermarkets still have baggers except when you go through the self-checkout.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
leo, are you really saying that the boy scouts are a "paramilitary organisation"?

Yes.
Yeah, right, cos my eldest son really enjoys kneecapping and murdering people on his Tuesday evenings out. [Mad]

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, you ignorant tosser.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
leo, are you really saying that the boy scouts are a "paramilitary organisation"?

Yes.
What nonsense.

A friend of mine used to say the same - her boys missed out on a wonderful organisation (the BB) and many memorable times. All their other friends joined and they were left out.

Back to the subject - I often say 'yes' to the offer of help with packing if I have a lot of stuff - it speeds up the process if there's a queue.

[ 17. March 2014, 12:09: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:
quote:

Yes.
Yeah, right, cos my eldest son really enjoys kneecapping and murdering people on his Tuesday evenings out. [Mad]

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, you ignorant tosser.

What Matt said. Go pound sand, leo.

Signed,
A Proud Eagle Scout

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

I've always referred to the Guides and Scouts as the paramilitaries.

Didn't stop my kids from joining. I'm even the treasurer for Miss Tor's Guide unit.

They have uniforms, they parade, they salute... it's a soft form of paramilitarism, but Scouts certainly served as an adjunct to the military in WWII. Knickers untwisted, please.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you but no. Children in uniform are most certainly not paramilitaries. That would render all my children such as they all wear school uniform. Like I said, when they start carrying weapons and perpetrating assassinations (or when the Real IRA start helping to pack bags in Tescos), then you and Leo might have a point. Until then, STFU with your offensive bullshit 'comparison' (we used to get called the Hitler Youth if that 'helps' you to understand my anger a bit more.)

[ 17. March 2014, 15:10: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Yeah, spare me the Daily Mail version of the world and try looking up 'paramilitary' in a dictionary some time. You also might want to take a look at a few history books where Scouts manned fire watch stations and plane spotter patrols as part of the war effort.

Hands up who's had to routinely bounce the suspension on their car to check for tilt-switch bombs?

*puts hand up*
*looks around*

Back in your box, boyo.

[ 17. March 2014, 16:06: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

[Snore] That might have been then, this is now, when 'paramilitary' = thugs in balaclavas who dole out punishment beatings in Northern Ireland or who surround Ukrainian army barracks with menaces and Kalashnikovs.

Not back in my box that easily...

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes.
LMBFAO.

From a guy who wears a uniform that is awesome.

"This is my blue ninja sash, this was handed to me to prove in a sermon I can remove your will to live at thirty paces, we are the deadly blue sashed meanies, we came from the 60's, still pissed off that THEY had more fun than us."

Leo, my hero for today.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
[Snore] That might have been then, this is now, when 'paramilitary' = thugs in balaclavas who dole out punishment beatings in Northern Ireland or who surround Ukrainian army barracks with menaces and Kalashnikovs.

Not back in my box that easily...

Then get upset with the dictionary, or the states that have used Scouts as paramilitaries, not people who jokingly (or otherwise) call the uniformed organisations "paramilitaries".

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

The only people with whom I'm upset and angry are those who use the same term to describe my kids as that used to describe Northern Irish terrorists.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh bugger it.
One, it upset you initially because Leo said it.
Two, because he might have meant it that way does not mean anyone else here does.
Three,
Uniforms? Check
Learn to obey? Check
Chain of command? Check
Swear oaths of allegiance? Check
This is not saying the scouts are used now in such a militaristic fashion, but as it has been pointed out, they have been. And that is why Baden Powell set them up.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother had a solution to charity baggers. She would pay them to unload her trolley that was too deep for her to lean into without overbalancing, and she would load her bags and pay. She thought that was a win-win.

[ 17. March 2014, 16:59: Message edited by: MarsmanTJ ]

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've always referred to the Guides and Scouts as the paramilitaries.

Didn't stop my kids from joining. I'm even the treasurer for Miss Tor's Guide unit.

They have uniforms, they parade, they salute... it's a soft form of paramilitarism, but Scouts certainly served as an adjunct to the military in WWII. Knickers untwisted, please.

The St John Ambulance Brigade Cadets have uniforms, drills and salutes. They even have ranks like Corporal and Sergeant but I don't think they could be described as paramilitary

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, spare me the Daily Mail version of the world and try looking up 'paramilitary' in a dictionary some time. You also might want to take a look at a few history books where Scouts manned fire watch stations and plane spotter patrols as part of the war effort.

Hands up who's had to routinely bounce the suspension on their car to check for tilt-switch bombs?

*puts hand up*
*looks around*

Back in your box, boyo.

Debating by dictionary is so fourth form DocTor, you should know that. [Disappointed]

For further information just about everyone played their part in the war effort, uniformed or not. Boy Scouts were also "runners", used when lines of communication were cut. Even pacifists were involved, in first aid, fire fighting and the amazingly dangerous work of getting people out of bombed buildings.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The St John Ambulance Brigade Cadets have uniforms, drills and salutes. They even have ranks like Corporal and Sergeant but I don't think they could be described as paramilitary

Don't forget the Salvation Army.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*sigh* I swore I wouldn't get involved in this tangent, swore up and down on a stack of Bibles—so much for that…

Yes, the Scouts have aspects of a paramilitary organization. Yes, Baden-Powell started the organization after boys started reading his book on military scouting—as an alternative to military drill, granted, but based on some of the same precepts. Yes, the military does like to recruit from Scouts, and yes, there were a few weekend camping trips that were hosted on Army and Air Force bases, courtesy Uncle Sam. Until recently, the BSA National Jamboree was held on an Army base, and if you think every branch of the service wasn't bringing out their recruiting divisions, choirs, bands, parachute teams, jet overflights, helicopters, and every other impressive thing to show off in front of what they saw as 40,000 good potential recruits, it's because you were too busy checking out the tanks and artillery they brought as well.

Oh yeah. The adults sure viewed it as military prep or something like it—a good chance to imbue the Future Leaders of Tomorrow with the Values they'd need to Keep America Strong against all threats. And, to be honest, the BSA has produced its share of generals, conservative politicians, and others of that ilk.

Of course, Michael Moore, Alfred Kinsey, Michael Dukakis, and Dennis Kucinich are just as much Eagle scouts as William Westmoreland, Gerald Ford, Donald Rumsfeld, and Rick Perry; lessons in leadership and meaningful experiences transcend all party lines. Scouting in America traces its origins not just to Baden-Powell, but to the sensitive Romanitic Ernest Thompson Seton and the artistically inclined Daniel Carter Beard, who were reacting to the drill-and-dogma youth organizations of their day. There has always been a tension in Scouting between those, usually adults, who want to turn the organization into a paramilitary organization with a top-down hierarchical structure, marching, and lessons in Proper Values, and those who want to emphasize the bottom-up, youth-lead model based primarily around small groups, the outdoor and wilderness experiences, and teaching about the value of the world we live in. The youth, of course, usually just want to set shit on fire, climb the nearest mountain by the least logical route possible (unprotected up a cliff is the usual preference), and deep fry everything in bacon grease for dinner.

So, much as there are those who imagine strapping young men in crisply pressed uniforms standing at attention when called and marching to orders without a homosexual to be found—as credit or detriment to the organization—the reality is usually that everyone's slouching a bit, nobody's uniforms match, the youth in charge really wishes the obnoxious kid in the third row would just shut up already, nobody really cares if anyone else is gay, and everyone's fingering their matches.

[ 17. March 2014, 18:33: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
*sigh* I swore I wouldn't get involved in this tangent, swore up and down on a stack of Bibles—so much for that…

Yep. Leo, I saw this today and thought of you.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Ariston. Your long-winde..., erm, comprehensive post is what I, and I think Doc Tor, meant.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From that link:
quote:
Royal Mail's own regiment, the Post Office Rifles
. Postmen wear a uniform, get up early in the morning, walk long distances in whatever weather ... and have their own Rifle Company. Definitely a paramilitary organisation!

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Boy Scouts
Military
Postman

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Don't you mean Postman?

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
The only people with whom I'm upset and angry are those who use the same term to describe my kids as that used to describe Northern Irish terrorists.

Since I don't call the IRA, UVF et al paramilitaries (I prefer 'murdering thugs'), I guess I'm in the clear.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Debating by dictionary is so fourth form DocTor, you should know that. [Disappointed]

[Razz]

quote:
For further information just about everyone played their part in the war effort, uniformed or not. Boy Scouts were also "runners", used when lines of communication were cut. Even pacifists were involved, in first aid, fire fighting and the amazingly dangerous work of getting people out of bombed buildings.
I am not unaware of that. However, the Scout's own website boasts:
quote:
there were 53,000 Scouts trained to undertake over hundred and seventy National War Service jobs by the end of 1940
I've also sat through more than enough Church and Remembrance parades to enable me to ponder on the quasi-militaristic trappings of Scouts, which is something I don't recall from watching the St. John's Ambulance, the RNLI or my local postie. Master Tor seems to hold those things lightly, and as Ariston suggests, is more interested in setting stuff on fire and yomping up mountains.

[ 17. March 2014, 19:24: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by Anglican't
quote:
You used to stand at a shop counter and ask the clerk behind it for the items you wanted.
Or you were fortunate to have either a Home & Colonial or International Stores branch. They had order forms (yellow IMMC) which listed all sorts of staples and you filled in what you wanted, how much, etc. Turn-round time was 24 hours: if you got the form in by closing on a Thursday, the order arrived on Friday afternoon - ours came via a boy on a bike with a massive basket on the front.

You settled the bill the next time you were in the shop, or you had an account that they sent out once a month.

Around here you can do very much the same thing - fill in a form online, and the next day a little van delivers the stuff to your door. It's called internet shopping. Though nowadays you have to be rather more up-front with the payment.
Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:

Yep. Leo, I saw this today and thought of you.
leo is far too holy for a Private Tickle.
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016