homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Unexpected item in bagging area
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
It's the nature of corporations to expand, or rather perhaps not their nature but what market economies force them to do.

Yes, well, my views on the wisdom of some aspects of market economies probably deserve a Hell thread of their own.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
And now I can tell which half of the duopoly you use. They do banking actually, hence the wanna-be-an-ATM bit; I have a Frequent Flyer point-earning credit card with them. They code the loyalty card info onto the back so one card does two things.

Don't get me started on the whole 'what else can a powerful supermarket do' business. I think I mentioned on the Ship when I started seeing ads for things like car insurance and, possibly even worse, life insurance. From the supermarket. In what way does ensuring a regular supply of apples equip you to help me deal with a smash repairer? Do grieving widows get a discount at the deli?
We were struck last year by how much the major supermarket chains have expanded their offerings. White goods, large electronics, clothes and own-brand mobile offerings are all present where they weren't 4 or 5 years ago.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior
Even when I go through the "I've brought my own bag" process, it's heavier than the bagging scales expect, so I need the assistant to clear the message.

I have never heard of weighing the bags you bring. Around here after you press the button for "I've brought my own bag.", you are instructed to put it in the bagging area.

What difference does it make how much it weighs?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's how they tell if you are ripping off a greeting card.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No joke. I'd just plonked my own bag in the bagging area when I realised I'd left my purse (=UK usage ie the thing you keep money in). I tried lifting it out as I put in the first item, but it spotted Initial Weight of Bag + Scanned Item does not equal Current Weight of Bag + Scanned Item.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I'd done that the machine would have thrown a fit and screamed for the assistant. You can only put your own bag on the scales if it's a certain weight - and that has to be very light or empty - if it already has items in it it will have to be verified. I learnt the hard way to remove any folding umbrellas, newspapers, etc before putting it on the scales and it never likes shopping already purchased elsewhere.

I just wonder how this will go. Lots of items sticking on the way down, machines that eat money, out-of-date items eventually coming to the fore, and potential for smash-and-grab, I should think.

Bring back the old-fashioned corner store with a friendly shopkeeper and people who got to chat to each other while waiting to be served.

[ 21. March 2014, 07:16: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vending machines in Japan provide a much wider range of goods than I'm used to in the UK. Though, I've not noticed any with a wide range of staples like that machine. It doesn't seem to cause problems - cash would be the most common means of payment and rejected notes don't seem to happen, and the machines don't give the wrong item/not give the item.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eggs they say?
Eggs?
You think stacking bananas below cans is irritating, imagine dropping a pack of eggs into the collecting tray.
Looks like fun. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alban:

You think stacking bananas below cans is irritating, imagine dropping a pack of eggs into the collecting tray.
Looks like fun. [Roll Eyes]

You can package eggs so they won't break, even when thrown from a second story. This is a routine assignment for first-year-students at some engineering schools.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
You can package eggs so they won't break, even when thrown from a second story. This is a routine assignment for first-year-students at some engineering schools.

In other engineering departments, the first years do the packaging while the 2nd years are the ones on the roof. The first years have to catch the eggs + packaging.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Bring back the old-fashioned corner store with a friendly shopkeeper and people who got to chat to each other while waiting to be served.

Would you really call Ronnie Barker (aka Arkwright) a "friendly" shopkeeper? I could think of several other words to describe him ...

Here in the East people still do talk to each other in shops (and we're not in a tiny village).

[ 21. March 2014, 13:26: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bugger that. In, buy, out, quick as possible is my aim.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

Agreed. Around here the "corner stores" are mostly chains (7-Eleven, Circle K, or gas stations). They seem to exist primarily as cigarette stores and are rather creepy. They're also very popular for robberies. (And they smell funny.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Corner shops and street markets are quicker than supermarkets. Its one of their great advantages.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't the biggest factor be how much you're buying? If you're just popping in for a loaf of bread and a pint of milk then supermarkets will be slower because usually they'll be in aisles opposite ends of the store, and you'll need to go back to the tills. In a corner shop the distance between items and the tills will be much shorter. If you buy more then the difference in distance becomes less significant (assuming you plan your shop such that you're not constantly going back and forth all over the place).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends. Supermarkets arrange goods to have you traverse as much of the building as possible. Perishables at the back, veg on one side, baked goods the other. Large family shopping is walking up and down most aisles regardless, but singles, couples with no children it can be less efficient.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
quote:

Corner shops and street markets are quicker than supermarkets. Its one of their great advantages.
I'll pass on the chatting waiting to be served bit, though, thanks.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thus contributing to the further disintegration of local community ... (assuming you're shopping near home, of course).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Eerie, as I read that, I could hear my (ex) American wife saying, 'sure hope you don't make love like that, honey'. God bless Sam, and fuck off.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll pass on the chatting waiting to be served bit, though, thanks.

I won't. I'll admit there are times when I do not feel like talking, or am in a hurry, and would rather they just. shut. it. But for every one of those, there are several more when it makes life just that more pleasant, just that more enjoyable.
From a mercenary POV, a friendly smile and a chat can pay dividends as well.

Though in honesty, will have to admit that I am often in my own little world and only realise I have appeared less than friendly afterward.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Would you really call Ronnie Barker (aka Arkwright) a "friendly" shopkeeper? I could think of several other words to describe him ...

I never even remotely considered him when I was writing that post - actually I don't think I ever saw the programme for more than a few minutes once years ago.

I was thinking of a family friend who ran a corner shop. He and his wife knew everybody and it was a friendly place to be. That kind of place does add a little something to the community - if you're short of money one day they might know you well enough to say not to worry, bring it in next time, instead of going without; and it is nice to be able to chat a bit to people in a queue. Besides, it makes the queueing time seem shorter.

The trouble with self-service machines is that they depersonalise things. Tonight in the supermarket we had an assistant on the till who cheered us up with a bit of banter as he processed people's shopping, and most of us left with smiles on our faces. You won't get that from a machine.

[ 21. March 2014, 18:36: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Reminds me of the glory days at the Marina Safeway. (Tales of the City reference - I never had the nerve to shop there on a busy night, but everybody knew about it.)

Ah, yes. The produce section was a singles' meeting place for straight folks. (One theory was that if the prospective person looked good in *that* lighting, they'd look ok in the morning!). IIRC, there was another store some place else for same-sex folks.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A coup;le of supermarkets on Sydney's Lower North Shore had that reputation. Allegedly your availability and preferences were shown by placing bananas (I kid you not) in your shopping trolley and how they were placed. I never needed to try the purchase when I lived nearby.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the self check machines.

I just pile all the items onto the bagging area, and then pack them into my backpack or whatever after I've paid. I take my merry time and no one seems to care.

It also helps that the first button I press is the one that turns the volume off.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I went though an attended checkout.

[Axe murder]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

There are two branches of a well-known chain that I use. At one the machines work well and are logical, at the other the (older) machines are much less logical (e.g. in where you put in money and retrieve change).
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Am I the only person who talks to the checkout assistant while scanning and loading the shopping? I always blamed that habit for me picking up a Brummie accent whilst a student in Birmingham... [Smile]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
Am I the only person who talks to the checkout assistant while scanning and loading the shopping?

Probably. I would, but ours are usually leaping about like a cat on hot bricks trying to sort out several malfunctioning terminals simultaneously.
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The trouble with self-service machines is that they depersonalise things.

Yes - and they are everywhere.

Ticket machines, bank ATMs, online check-in, supermarkets, facebook - the list grows by the day. Even some maths lessons now involve a class of kids sitting at ipads. All are much more efficient (even the maths lessons - they go at exactly the child's pace, revising or moving on as needed, no teacher could do that so quickly with 36 kids)

The problem with all this, of course, is isolation - especially for the elderly.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
The problem with all this, of course, is isolation - especially for the elderly.

Precisely. For some people the greeting and quip in a supermarket may be the only contact they get during the course of that day.

The other thing that gives me pause for thought is that young people growing up with all these self-service things, and a bunch of smartphones, iPads, tablets and so on will regard the lessened lack of direct face-to-face contact with other people as natural. If you watch a group of young people they're quite often sitting together in silence, engrossed in their phones. A decade or so ago, they'd have been talking to each other.

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I notice when I meet friends, because we are old codgers, we turn our phones off, whereas around us, the young are gazing beatifically at their screens, where presumably they can see messages from others, also gazing in bliss at their phones. Brave new world!

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Oh, vocal chords! So 20th Century.

What I have observed is a division of attention. No one is completely here or there. But I do not see this as strictly the young, but also heavily in the middle agers up into the younger oldsters. At least as far as the low 60's.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The trouble with self-service machines is that they depersonalise things.

You make this sound like a bad thing. Shoot, if I can make it through one more checkout line without the clerk asking me about my day (as if they cared), and without me having to lie and go through the usual platitudes with strangers who pretend to care in precisely the way their job training video taught them to, I'll do it. I like the self-checkouts, thankyouverymuch; let me get my toothpaste in as close to peace as I can manage and let me get on my way.

Are there places for The Personal Touch and Friendly Shopkeepers™? Yes, sure, at places that offer personal service—you know, not busy supermarkets where I just want to get in, out, and on my way. The villiage idyll of everybody talking to everybody and up to date on everybody else's business, just doesn't work outside the village—and, given the propensity to gossip, maybe not too well in the village.

So forgive me if I see respecting my personal boundaries and giving me a bit more control over situations as something other than the decline and fall of civilization.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
Are there places for The Personal Touch and Friendly Shopkeepers™? Yes, sure, at places that offer personal service—you know, not busy supermarkets where I just want to get in, out, and on my way. The villiage idyll of everybody talking to everybody and up to date on everybody else's business, just doesn't work outside the village—and, given the propensity to gossip, maybe not too well in the village.

Actually, the family friend I mentioned had his shop in the heart of a capital city.

I'm firmly of the opinion that capital cities are in particular need of a bit of community feeling, given how many people live in bedsits, flats with no communal area, and other rented accommodation.

The false bonhomie is one thing, but the option of genuine exchanges is a valuable thing.

orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Ariel on this one. I live alone. At age 40, I'm already a bit worried that I'm heading in the direction of being one of those people who doesn't have much personal interaction.

And then of course I come online and take it all out on you lot.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

And then of course I come online and take it all out on you lot.

Yes. Yes. We had noticed that.

You're 40? I'm 39. Good Lord. We're of an age. [Eek!]

[ 24. March 2014, 06:17: Message edited by: Evensong ]

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Precisely. For some people the greeting and quip in a supermarket may be the only contact they get during the course of that day.

So they then hold up the rest of the queue while telling their life story to the cashier.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
quote:

So they then hold up the rest of the queue while telling their life story to the cashier.
Your turn will come soon, young Spike.

And for the record I never discuss my life with the checkout people.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some things which should not be said in public.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

I would have thought 'bagging area' was one of them, personally.

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few days ago I needed to get a couple of items and a handful of greeting cards from the supermarket. As I searched for a real checkout with a real person (when exactly did they turn half of the tills into self-serve suitable for trolley-loads?), the one assistant bravely manning all 12 self-serve tills tried to encourage me to use them. Oh no, I'm not falling for that again! [brick wall] She took some convincing that I wasn't going to leave my queue, but I held out. [Razz]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few weeks ago a clerk urged me to use the self-serve, so that she could show me how easy and efficient it was. It was just as obstreperous with her as it would have been with me, which I found quite amusing. [Big Grin]

Around here, when gas/petrol stations started having some pumps self-serve*, they offered a discount if you pumped your own fuel. Perhaps grocery stores should do the same.

(*There are NO full-serve pumps anymore.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:

So whose life do you discuss instead?
[Devil]

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
A few weeks ago a clerk urged me to use the self-serve, so that she could show me how easy and efficient it was. It was just as obstreperous with her as it would have been with me, which I found quite amusing. [Big Grin]

Around here, when gas/petrol stations started having some pumps self-serve*, they offered a discount if you pumped your own fuel. Perhaps grocery stores should do the same.

(*There are NO full-serve pumps anymore.)

I've seen notices (last week, one was) announcing that fill service can be available at some times (unspecified) at some stations. But no information on how to get it.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

PeteC, you're missing the joy of making things up. Cab drivers, barbers, checkout operators, people on the bus and train who insist on talking to you, if they want to hear a story let them have one.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

[Devil]

That's easy: her three doors down - comings and goings at all hours. Have you seen the number of bottles going out for the bins? And half a pound of streaky, please. Curtains still closed at 10 o'clock. On a Tuesday. Packet of custard creams and a quarter of Mint Imperials. Yes, that's what I heard too, the postie said he didn't know where to look.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
quote:

[Devil]

That's easy: her three doors down - comings and goings at all hours. Have you seen the number of bottles going out for the bins? And half a pound of streaky, please. Curtains still closed at 10 o'clock. On a Tuesday. Packet of custard creams and a quarter of Mint Imperials. Yes, that's what I heard too, the postie said he didn't know where to look.
And stuff like this is exactly why I'm glad the old, gossipy ways of the past, with a shopkeeper or pharmacist who knew everybody's private business and made sure everybody else knew it too, are over.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Last night at the supermarket I had a lovely chat about American cuisine. The guy on the checkout brought up your lack of meat pies and I discussed your lack of lamb.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually yes, we were chatting recipes and holiday destinations when I was standing waiting for the final, final reductions on food going out of date last night, with the guy who was doing the reductions. Slightly bizarre - if we're queueing for the cheapest possible food we're possibly not in the market for amazing holidays.

[ 25. March 2014, 06:26: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariston:
quote:
And stuff like this is exactly why I'm glad the old, gossipy ways of the past, with a shopkeeper or pharmacist who knew everybody's private business and made sure everybody else knew it too, are over.
I hate to burst your bubble, but have you ever heard of Facebook and Twitter?
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Ariston:
quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but have you ever heard of Facebook and Twitter?
Or a forum called The Ship of Fools where people not only share private business but their deepest theological thoughts in public?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016