homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Doctor Who: Fall 2014 (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Doctor Who: Fall 2014
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would agree that it would be unsatisfactory to just let the sonic screwdriver sort it out, but in this case the Doctor has been in the TARDIS all episode with nothing to do except think about Time Lord science-y metaphysics-y stuff: kicking things that don't belong in our dimension back out of our dimension is almost certainly a thing he can work out how to do. Besides they'd probably used up most of their energy supplies rebooting the TARDIS.
Dramatically, of course, if what you're working towards in an episode is the Doctor striding out of the TARDIS at long last, you don't need a second climax with a second clever trick.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that one I really enjoyed! It may be the first time since we've seen the RDIS in action since Hartnell's Planet of Giants, and there was loads of good dialogue to flesh out the characters. Tomorrow I need to sit down and watch it again, but right now I'm a happy Whovian.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fleshed out characters? I found them rather two-dimensional.

Apart from being impressed by the visual style I didn't find this all that interesting really. A bit like Time Heist in that respect.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just clarify that I don't think this was bad. It just didn't really convince me that anything was at stake beyond watching folk run around and having stock supporting characters knocked off.

But I did quite enjoy watching folk run around.

There were a couple of nice little touches about what Clara thinks of the Doctor, and vice versa, which were consistent with previous characterisation. She still isn't entirely happy with him.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah. I was going to say that after the first half of the season, which filled me with an increasing sense of despair as to where it was going, I thought the last two episodes heralded a very welcome return to form. Two best of the series.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did like the weird 3d representations of 2d beings, which was quite disconcerting. The core idea of beings from a 2D universe was different - giving something new to contend with, that the Tardis couldn't detect.

The resolution was quick and poor - I presume the Sonic Screwdriver was being powered by the Tardis to send them all back, otherwise Clara could have done that much earlier. The idea of the murals in the subway was clever - I had guessed what they might be, but the fact that they could be hidden in plain view was clever.

And a toy-sized Tardis was hugely funny. the theme of the Doctor as a questionably good man was interesting - I think that was what the question to Clara was about. Is the Doctor a good man, or is he a soldier?

[ 19. October 2014, 10:03: Message edited by: Schroedinger's cat ]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that the episode was set in Bristol. Besides being convenient for the main base of Cardiff, Bristol is Bansky's home town. Coincidence?
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was brilliant, once again. Yes, the resolution was a bit poor, but 'twas ever thus.

I've loved this series, except the first one (which I forgave, as being the first one with a new doctor), the Caretaker, which I didn't care for, and the second half of Kill the Moon.

And Peter Capaldi is wonderful.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HB - loads of BBC programmes are set in Bristol (for obvious reasons) but how often do you hear Bristol accents? That was another little point I enjoyed.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Wood
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watched it again for the inevitable with the kids showing, and, rarely for Who of any era, the resolution holds up better on a second viewing, it being presaged by developments in plot and dialogue. Nothing about the ending has been without a setup. This is easily one of the least wobbly episodes of the current series.

Having said that, the other thing about this is how my kids feel about the new Doctor.

Betrayed is a good word. I mean, I'm actually warming to him (after several episodes as a complete bastard, he's actually starting to behave like the Doctor again), but the kids? No. They're not convinced at all.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wood:
Having said that, the other thing about this is how my kids feel about the new Doctor.

Betrayed is a good word. I mean, I'm actually warming to him (after several episodes as a complete bastard, he's actually starting to behave like the Doctor again), but the kids? No. They're not convinced at all.

Are your kids familiar with old Who? My 2 boys (aged 10 and 13) have had a regular supply of vintage Who, especially Pertwee and Baker, and maybe this has helped them in their acceptance of Capaldi. They can relate to him as they know the older Doctors were often eccentric, cantankerous and opinionated old codgers.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Watched it again for the inevitable with the kids showing, and, rarely for Who of any era, the resolution holds up better on a second viewing, it being presaged by developments in plot and dialogue. Nothing about the ending has been without a setup. This is easily one of the least wobbly episodes of the current series.

( sigh) here is where I admit I have yet to catch up on this season , and it is largely to stupid newbie Doctor grief. I just miss Smith. ( insert laughtrack here) . I have finally decided I just need to recruit my friend J. to hold my hand while I set a night aside to do this.
I am going to advocate for the kids, though---especially in the first two seasons , Dr. 11 seemed less an ubermensch saving the world and more a eager, humble explorer genuinely excited about discovering what it means to be human. (Which may be more down to the personality of the actor than a specific Doctor thing.) Of course kids are going to fall in love with that, because that's exactly what kids are doing, too- figuring out how to be human.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned that the episode was set in Bristol. Besides being convenient for the main base of Cardiff, Bristol is Bansky's home town. Coincidence?

This is where they set " Being Human" , too, right?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Heavenly Anarchist:
quote:

Are your kids familiar with old Who? My 2 boys (aged 10 and 13) have had a regular supply of vintage Who, especially Pertwee and Baker, and maybe this has helped them in their acceptance of Capaldi. They can relate to him as they know the older Doctors were often eccentric, cantankerous and opinionated old codgers.
My elder son's favourite Doctor is Four. My younger son loved Day of the Daleks.

Anyway. There's being cantankerous and then there's being flat out cold. Some of the earlier episodes of New Series Eight show a Doctor who hasn't been as close to amoral since early Hartnell.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some of the earlier episodes of New Series Eight show a Doctor who hasn't been as close to amoral since early Hartnell.

We shall not speak of Colin Baker.

I don't know. Eccleston could be pretty obnoxious to anyone who wasn't Rose. Tom Baker is cold in Horror of Fang Rock. That said, Baker sets it off by turning his charm on the camera any chance he gets.
I agree Capaldi is cold, but that's different from amoral. I can't think of a time he's sacrificed someone he could have saved.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:

This is where they set " Being Human" , too, right?
Originally, but then it relocated to Barry in Wales

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Tom Baker is cold in Horror of Fang Rock. That said, Baker sets it off by turning his charm on the camera any chance he gets.

Bringing to mind a wonderful exchange in Pyramids of Mars, where Sarah Jane is outraged at the Doctor's callous reaction to yet another death.
quote:
SARAH: Oh! Sometimes you don't seem ...
DOCTOR: Human?

I have always felt that the Doctor grows cold because he needs to shut down certain internal systems to care about the bigger picture (e.g. one man has died now, millions more will if Sutekh isn't stopped). The colder he is, the more he is caring.
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This series is brilliant. It's like a parody of previous series. Retro.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
This series is brilliant. It's like a parody of previous series. Retro.

Or a Greatest Hits.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:
Some of the earlier episodes of New Series Eight show a Doctor who hasn't been as close to amoral since early Hartnell.

We shall not speak of Colin Baker.
Best not to. Although he himself is often the best thing about his episodes.

Colin Baker's time is a good analogy actually. I felt about Colin Baker after Davison (whom 8-year-old me loved) the way that my kids are feeling about Capaldi after Smith.

FWIW, I thought he finally got the balance right in the last two episodes. He was cold still but genuinely heroic, and I really liked his final speech in Flatline, where he begins almost apologetically: "I tried to reach out..." ...before seeming genuinely pissed off that he has to kick the monsters' asses.

Ghost of Malcolm Tucker exorcised.

[ 20. October 2014, 09:49: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of cold and amoral, Capaldi's portrayal reminds me more of Sylvester McCoy than other respects, although Hartnell does come through pretty clearly too at times. McCoy's Doctor was an enigmatic and sometimes hard to like character. But I do like this current one much more than the other New Doctors.

I'm also liking all his references to classic Who - that's something that the three younger New Doctors never managed to bring off.

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Speaking of cold and amoral, Capaldi's portrayal reminds me more of Sylvester McCoy than other respects, although Hartnell does come through pretty clearly too at times. McCoy's Doctor was an enigmatic and sometimes hard to like character. But I do like this current one much more than the other New Doctors.

I'm also liking all his references to classic Who - that's something that the three younger New Doctors never managed to bring off.

Smith did a buttload of Troughton references, mind.

--------------------
Narcissism.

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the idea for the episode start from "lets have a tiny TARDIS which will fit in someone's pocket"? Or even from the Adams Family gag?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That small Tardis looked very like the toy one my youngest has, it looked the same size.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Wood
# 7

quote:
That small Tardis looked very like the toy one my youngest has, it looked the same size.

Likewise my youngest. It was about right, wasn't it? I wonder if they used one?

[ 20. October 2014, 14:38: Message edited by: Wood ]

--------------------
Narcissism.

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have one too. The lamp on top lights up and it makes the TARDIS landing noises.....

...and yes, it's about the right size.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect the probably did use one of those, given that they seem to be the right sort of size.

I would guess it started with an idea about 2d aliens, and the concept of breaking dimensions gave someone the idea of breaking the Tardis dimensions, and everyone said "What a brilliant idea".

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Speaking of cold and amoral, Capaldi's portrayal reminds me more of Sylvester McCoy than other respects, although Hartnell does come through pretty clearly too at times.

One always gets the sense that McCoy genuinely cares about especially Ace, even when he's not sharing all his cards with her, but other characters too. I think Capaldi's Doctor genuinely cares a lot about Clara, but Capaldi plays the Doctor having difficulty showing that he cares by having Capaldi showing it only in glimpses.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think Capaldi's Doctor genuinely cares a lot about Clara, but Capaldi plays the Doctor having difficulty showing that he cares by having Capaldi showing it only in glimpses.

I find their understated relationship much more plausible than the Clara-Danny thing, which seems completely unconvincing.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't find either convincing, chiefly because I no longer find Clara convincing. Isn't she supposed to be brilliant? I don't see her thinking much. And she's been too - not mercurial, as someone seems to think that is the alchemical proper description of the Doctor - but too quickly shifting in attitude. I didn't understand why she suddenly decided to call herself doctor - is there a reference back to Donna, and why would she know about her? (Sudden thought - we aren't dealing with Donna's deleted self somewhere?) Danny obviously cares about her enough to read that the Dr wants to be sure he's a fit friend for her, which is quite an adult perception, but she doesn't seem to be responding to that. She should be, because he wouldn't see that if he didn't want to live up to that assessment.
I have a friend who once asked me to be sure to ring him to let him know I was home safely (an arrangement which continues). It put the relationship on a completely new level, ratcheting it up, so I responded to that concern. Clara doesn't seem to have responded to Danny's concern for her. And he seems too happy about it. He doesn't seem suspicious enough now for someone bright enough to have attracted an intelligent woman, as she is supposed to be, and to now know what she has been involved with.
I think she's become too much of a flibbertigibbet with both of them. I'm wondering what she left behind in the Doctor's timeline, or what hse picked up there. Pity we can't have a companion who is just a person.

[ 20. October 2014, 20:19: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

There isn't any sign of warmth in Clara and Danny's relationship. I know it's only a screen thing but they could put a bit more feeling into it.

Also Clara seems to have lost the element of mystery she used to have - flipping from time to time by herself and her origins being a mystery and appears to have settled into being a normal young teacher from Blackpool. It was only the bit right at the end that served as a reminder that things were not always thus.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The children seem to have read something between them, but we can't. The trouble is that we don't see them together enough in everyday situations to see just eye contact across assembly, or picking up each other's pencil in the corridor, or handing over the register to check the class at a fire alarm, whatever. I thought the cross cutting shots at the beginning as Danny couldn't approach Clara to start with, and the mistaken moves in the restaurant worked well, but it's gone off since.

And as for being a normal young teacher from Blackpool - when on earth does she get the time for planning, preparing and assessment? It's all very well getting back at the time of leaving, but she still has to fit in sleep, seeing Danny, and about 60 hours of work a week. (Some, as she's in secondary, in the staffroom, rather than at home, but even so.) Is she like Hermione, using that time doubling gizmo from Dumbledore?

She ought to be utterly exhausted.

[ 20. October 2014, 21:28: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:
I have one too. The lamp on top lights up and it makes the TARDIS landing noises.....

...and yes, it's about the right size.

Me too, I have one that's a USB hub!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
I didn't understand why she suddenly decided to call herself doctor

If you're trying to look authoritative, and you've been zooming around time and space with a guy called The Doctor, what's the first bit of authority that's going to pop into your head?

It's got nothing to do with Donna. Just because you're watching a show about The Doctor, doesn't mean there aren't any doctors. People recognise the title precisely because there's a lot more than one of them around.

[ 20. October 2014, 21:47: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
She ought to be utterly exhausted.

But she can shoot off with the Doctor, have an adventure, sleep for a day in the Tardis, prepare her lessons in the Tardis study, and return exactly when she left.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
quote:
I didn't understand why she suddenly decided to call herself doctor

If you're trying to look authoritative, and you've been zooming around time and space with a guy called The Doctor, what's the first bit of authority that's going to pop into your head?

It's got nothing to do with Donna. Just because you're watching a show about The Doctor, doesn't mean there aren't any doctors. People recognise the title precisely because there's a lot more than one of them around.

I would expect most people, and especially the community service population, and Fenton, to expect a doctor to be medical. Other titles are available, to an intelligent person.
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a tension growing between Clara and the Doctor: it has been present since Peter Capaldi’s first appearance. Therefore her taking the title ‘Doctor’ to herself is her ‘upping her game’. Danny and Clara are a sort of replay of Mickey and Rose — except whereas Mickey becomes a soldier, Danny was.
I like Capaldi’s strangeness and abruptness — I am a veteran from the original William Hartnell series, and was mesmerised by his duplicity and difficult behaviour. After all, adults are aliens to their children— they think in different terms and have obscure points of reference.
Whereas Smith brought an incredible amount of vulnerability into the Doctor’s character, it is good to have a roughness and toughness back (as with ‘bruiser’ Eccleston).
It is significant it is now on so much later, which is no longer at the time of day when I first watched it, nor at a time when it is likely Infants or Upper Primary School kids would be up.
The ‘lock down’ TARDIS was an interesting concept..
I do wonder if we will ever return to a historical setting without aliens — although the return of the Meddling Monk could be fun!
[Devil]

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”
G’Kar, ‘Meditations on the Abyss’

Posts: 31 | From: Kernow | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Should be Juniors of Upper Primary School kids…
[Paranoid]

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”
G’Kar, ‘Meditations on the Abyss’

Posts: 31 | From: Kernow | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I spotted that the graffiti artist would be significant, but I thought he would be able to communicate with them because he understood the two-dimensional world.

Favourite line was probably the circular/edible pi bit.

I think Danny is doomed.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
# 7

Am I the only one who got excited that Frank Cottrell Boyce has written an episode?

--------------------
Narcissism.

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

quote:
Am I the only one who got excited that Frank Cottrell Boyce has written an episode?

I hadn't realised! That is exciting, my youngest will be especially interested. The boys both studied 'Framed' at primary school and the highlight of the term was a trip (which I snuck on to as an assistant) to the National Gallery to see the relevant paintings and have a lecture and signing by Cottrell Boyce.

--------------------
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Wood
# 7

quote:
Originally posted by Motylos:

It is significant it is now on so much later, which is no longer at the time of day when I first watched it, nor at a time when it is likely Infants or Upper Primary School kids would be up.

Yes. I think you're right.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Wood
# 7

quote:
quote:

I hadn't realised! That is exciting, my youngest will be especially interested. The boys both studied 'Framed' at primary school and the highlight of the term was a trip (which I snuck on to as an assistant) to the National Gallery to see the relevant paintings and have a lecture and signing by Cottrell Boyce.
He's one of my favourite writers, no lie.

--------------------
Narcissism.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

Count me as another one who is enjoying Clara - but have we seen any signs of her being a control freak? Friends who saw the first episode in the cinema also saw an interview, where it was claimed this would become very clear as the season progressed. Personally I'm not convinced.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Count me as another one who is enjoying Clara - but have we seen any signs of her being a control freak?

I think it's not the standard meaning of 'control freak', but she does like being in a position to make decisions for other people.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

PS There's a rumour I keep on hearing, which says that Who is short on cash. According to this there was a massive drop in the sale of DVDs when Tennant left, and the programme has been under financial pressure ever since. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or ideas as to how I could verify it one way or another?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
quote:
Count me as another one who is enjoying Clara - but have we seen any signs of her being a control freak?

I think it's not the standard meaning of 'control freak', but she does like being in a position to make decisions for other people.
Hey, maybe she has a knack for if. Some people get called " control freaks" , some people are told they have "leadership potential"

One of my favorite moments of last season was when Clara got " deputized" to command for a while. Maybe they are trying to ease the viewing public into shifting their perception of "companion" into something more than " gal (or guy) Friday".

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
PS There's a rumour I keep on hearing, which says that Who is short on cash. According to this there was a massive drop in the sale of DVDs when Tennant left, and the programme has been under financial pressure ever since. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or ideas as to how I could verify it one way or another?

Back when the classic series was winding down and having its budget cut and cut again, many fans wondered why it was happening considering that video sales (VCR in those ancient days) were booming. The answer was: Video sales by BBC Enterprises does not generate money for the program. There was no link between the video sales and the budget for the series.

Now I don't know if that has changed with the new series, but I rather doubt it. The show is not funded by DVD sales.

I am willing to believe that DVD sales are down but that is easily explained: first, all of the classic series that is currently available has been released on DVD. No new DVD releases of classic episodes is bound to cut into sales, and the new series do not come out frequently enough to generate more than a couple releases per year. Second, the show is available on digital streaming services...generating money per view but not resulting in DVD sales. If TV programming were linked to DVD sales, all TV programs would be in danger.

In short, the rumor strikes me as a bunch of hogwash.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I have seen trailers for classic series being shown on the Freeview Drama channel from sometime in November.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
I have seen trailers for classic series being shown on the Freeview Drama channel from sometime in November.

Ooo! Ooo!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016