homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: The parable of the talents: Matthew 25:14-30 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: The parable of the talents: Matthew 25:14-30
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always been deeply puzzled by the parable of the talents. I get completely stuck on how mean the master is, and by extension, apparently, God.

What think Shippies? How do you interpret the parable?

Here are some questions that puzzle me: What should the frightened one-talent recipient have done? How can he get past his fear? What if he invests the talent, the natural risks of investing roll against him, and he loses the talent? Won't things go even worse for him then?

Here is Matthew 25. The parable of the talents is verses 14-30. I have linked to the whole chapter because I had never put two and two together about the material that surrounds this parable. Seeing that the talents come sandwiched between the wise and foolish bridesmaids and the sheep and the goats suggests new ideas to me about how to make sense of the parable of the talents. Or it might make me more worried about the surrounding material too...

[ 02. July 2015, 21:27: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not take much notice of the context. Matthew has a habit of grouping things together and so the original "sitz in leben" is lost.

To my mind its simply a riposte against the religious leaders who had been given a revelation meant for all and who limited/confined/hoarded it for themselves.

Any 'moralising' interpretation such as 'use what you are given or lose it' is not on ISTM

[ 25. April 2014, 16:46: Message edited by: shamwari ]

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the surrounding material is quite relevant and meaningful.

Each of these three parables is about being ready for Christ. This is the explicit theme of the previous chapter as well. Each of them also has this element of surprise and unfairness towards the group that somehow isn't ready. In each of them the ones who are "unready" pay a heavy price for seemingly minor infractions.

In the first parable the so-called "foolish" bridesmaids have failed to bring enough oil. Why should they be blamed for the fact that the bridegroom doesn't even show up until midnight?

In the second parable the master doles out huge sums of money to his servants for safekeeping, and then leaves for an indeterminate period of time. When he returns he condemns the one servant who has taken precautions against the loss of his money. How is that fair?

In the third parable the Christ comes and sends away everyone who has failed to treat Him well - because they did not realize that what they do to their neighbor they do to Him.

In each parable the ones who are criticized complain about the unfairness of it all, and in each one they receive no sympathy.

I imagine that most readers will intuitively understand the message, and implicit fairness, of the third parable. The other two are harder to make out.

In the first one, my understanding is that throughout the Bible "oil" is a symbol for love. The fact that these bridesmaids lacked oil means that if we lack love we will not be able to receive Christ. Love is not something that you can get from someone else, you have to have your own.

The parable of the talents seems unfair unless it is seen in the context of being ready for Christ. We are not "ready" if we do nothing with what God has given us. "Trading" and "buying" are mentioned throughout the Bible as symbols of gaining spiritual life - as can be seen in things such as the "pearl of great price", the concept of "treasure in heaven" and the very fact that "Canaan" is derived from a Hebrew word meaning "land of trade."

So the idea in this parable is that we become ready for Christ by "trading" or by gaining spiritual life by doing His will. If we fail to do this we will lose everything.

The "unfairness" aspect of the whole thing, in each parable, is designed to make us think - because these things are surprising to us.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard an alternative interpretation of this parable, which I understand comes from liberation theology and shows the the third servant as the hero, speaking out about an unjust master. I believe Herzog is one theologian who has proposed this.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
I have heard an alternative interpretation of this parable, which I understand comes from liberation theology and shows the the third servant as the hero, speaking out about an unjust master.

But was the master actually unjust? The third servant may have made an untrue accusation as a way of changing the subject.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This parable is about grace and the fruit it bears. In other words, the talents are grace. I think that we can tie this in with St. James' epistle, faith without works etcetera.
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like it, Freddy. Thanks for your explanation - it certainly makes sense to me.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I have always been deeply puzzled by the parable of the talents. I get completely stuck on how mean the master is, and by extension, apparently, God.

One of my professors recently preached on this. He said the master was not God, quite the reverse. The master was an unjust man not following Torah rules because he expected interest on his loans.

Charging interest on loans was not permitted by torah so the last slave that did not invest was the one most faithful to the law and challenged the injustice of the master.

This wiki article talks around the issue of interest that could be relevant in first century Judaism. According to Ezekiel, it was one of the worst sins.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evensong, are there any other parables where the master or landlord is not God?

--------------------
Truth

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depends how you interpret them. There seems to be a new move these days to see parables a little differently than traditional interpretations. Perhaps we are rediscovering their Jewish roots. I dunno.

Chocoholic mentioned Herzog above. While I haven't read his book Parables as Subversive Speech, I suspect alot of his interpretations wouldn't have the master/landord as God.

Ben Myers is another excellent theologian that speaks to this point. Below is from his rules for preaching on the parables.

quote:
Rule #1: Don't assume that God is necessarily one of the characters in the parable.

Rule #2: Don't assume that the parable is trying to tell you how to improve your life.

Rule #3: Don't assume that you're the goodie in the story (and that other people are the baddies).

Rule #4: If you can explain the whole parable without mentioning the words "kingdom of God," you're probably doing it wrong.

Rule #5: If it ends up having anything to do with going to heaven when we die, you're probably doing it wrong

Rule #6: If Jesus seems more like a headmaster giving orders than like a comedian cracking jokes, you're probably doing it wrong.

Rule #7: If you feel perfectly confident and untroubled while expounding the parable, you're probably doing it wrong.

Rule #8: If your sermon on the parable leaves people with nothing to look forward to and nothing to hope for, you're probably doing it wrong.

Rule #9: Now go back and repeat Rule 3 (because every preacher forgets this at least once in every sermon).

Rule #10: Finally, if you've preached a lousy sermon, just remember: as long as the parable was read aloud before you started, it won't be a total loss.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

One of my professors recently preached on this. He said the master was not God, quite the reverse. The master was an unjust man not following Torah rules because he expected interest on his loans.

Charging interest on loans was not permitted by torah so the last slave that did not invest was the one most faithful to the law and challenged the injustice of the master.

This wiki article talks around the issue of interest that could be relevant in first century Judaism. According to Ezekiel, it was one of the worst sins.

So what's the parable saying: don't lend money on interest?
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Well if the bridesmaids are "be ready", you could say the talents is "be faithful": Don't give in to your merciless Roman overlords.

This article was similar to my professor's take.

quote:
When we hear of the first two servants’ 100 percent return, we aren’t cheering. These servants have merely succeeded in getting more than their share of the limited pie. They, like their master, have learned to take what they did not deposit and reap where they did not sow. How honest is that? The first two servants have joined the ranks of the ruthless economic domination.

Enter the third servant, the one who kept the money safe. Exodus holds that if your neighbor gives you money for safe keeping, you are responsible if it is stolen (Exodus 22:7). According to rabbinic law, the proper way to keep money safe was to bury it (Rohrbaugh). Wrapping it in a cloth was riskier, but the money was safe. The third servant succeeded. He acted faithfully and ethically, but he faces his master with fear. Sitting in the peasant section, we taste the third servant’s fear. We, too, have been berated by someone who holds the strings to our well-being.

The third servant is a truthteller: “I knew you were a harsh man,” he says. The third servant becomes what William Herzog calls a “whistle-blower,” unmasking the master’s greed and the toil on others (Parables as Subversive Speech).

He doesn’t want the money: “Here take your money.” He doesn’t want to be part of the system of greed that tramples on others.

The master doesn’t try to defend his action by saying he is not harsh or that he hasn’t reaped where he shouldn’t have. Instead he verbally attacks the servant and calls him “evil and lazy.” Calling truthtellers names is a usual response.

With peasant ears this third servant becomes the hero. He is honest. He acknowledges himself to be afraid but still acts. He is creatively subordinate. He kept his master’s money as the law required but refused to be part of the master’s thievery.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Evensong. That was certainly different!

Is he suggesting that this might have actually been Jesus' message?

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

I think it takes a lot of work to read that into the parable. I'm not convinced of it. They didn't need a parable to tell them usury is bad and not to rip off other people. The law of Moses already made that abundantly clear. The parable is clearly saying something else: that if the grace God provides us with does not produce profit, then the little we have will also be taken away from us.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
Thank you, Evensong. That was certainly different!

Is he suggesting that this might have actually been Jesus' message?

Yes.

And it certainly accords with Jesus' attitude to the poor and the downtrodden and his condemnation of wealth.

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
I think it takes a lot of work to read that into the parable. I'm not convinced of it.

It takes alot of work because its so untraditional. But the basics and the theology do accord with Jesus' teachings.

[ 26. April 2014, 10:51: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
It takes alot of work because its so untraditional. But the basics and the theology do accord with Jesus' teachings.

Sort of. I guess.

The thing is that Jesus seems to be on the master's side.

It is easy to imagine that Jesus' listeners would be surprised and confused by the parable. But it is hard for me to imagine that they would think that He was condemning the master and praising the servant.

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:

Where do you see that in the parable?

"Those who have nothing" are usually the ones Jesus sides with.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
quote:

Where do you see that in the parable?

"Those who have nothing" are usually the ones Jesus sides with.

Yes, Jesus usually sides with those who have nothing. Not always, however. I think it is clear that this is not the case here.

The parable's resolution is the servant being cast into outer darkness. This completes the opening words of the parable. The kingdom of heaven is one where those who make use of God's gifts are happy, and those who do not are unhappy.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Are there similar "turn it upside down" interpretations for the surrounding parables: the Wise and Foolish Bridesmaids, and the Sheep and the Goats?

I see the foolish bridesmaids being shut of of the wedding feast, the saving-but-not-investing slave getting cast into outer darkness where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the goats being consigned to eternal fire and eternal punishment.

On the other hand, the wise bridesmaids, the slaves who got a return on that with which they were entrusted, and the sheep are all praised.

So it would be puzzling to me for the middle parable to have an interpretation that is backwards from the other parables.

[ 26. April 2014, 19:38: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not just the wise bridesmaids and the sheep and goats. The passage clearly starts in chapter 24 with
quote:
When he was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, ‘Tell us, when will this be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?’
Everything that follows is Matthews answer to that question. A whole lot of being alert, for we don't know the day when this will happen.

How does the servant who hides his masters money relate to the wicked slave? Or, the servants who invest the money to the faithful and wise?
quote:
‘Who then is the faithful and wise slave, whom his master has put in charge of his household, to give the other slaves their allowance of food at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master will find at work when he arrives. Truly I tell you, he will put that one in charge of all his possessions. But if that wicked slave says to himself, “My master is delayed”, and he begins to beat his fellow-slaves, and eats and drinks with drunkards, the master of that slave will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour that he does not know. He will cut him in pieces and put him with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jrw
Shipmate
# 18045

- Posted      Profile for jrw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For some reason, I'd assumed that Jesus finished this parable by saying 'To whom much has been given, much will be expected, but to whom little has been given, little will be expected', but that's another parable altogether. Maybe there's a similar theme running through this parable though. Jesus never said that nothing at all would be expected. Perhaps the servant in the parable of the talents hid the talent where he himself didn't have to look at it because he didn't want to see anything that reminded him of his duty. From a 'Do what you like. You're one of God's chosen ones', point of view, the real God would be a hard taskmaster.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Reading chapters 24 and 25 together as Alan suggests reveals these two chapters as forming a single narrative arc.

The three parables in chapter 25 all feature someone in authority who is away and then comes back. People are waiting for him, and some do one thing, some another, while the authority figure is away. When the authority figure comes back, he praises some and casts the others out.

All three parables are introduced by the phrase at 25:1 "the kingdom of heaven is like this". The third parable makes it explicit that it is God who is the judge, and we humans who will be called to account for what we did or didn't do. (This third one isn't really a parable, but I'm just going to call these three all parables for the moment.)

I don't think that within that arc it makes sense to give the second parable an upside-down interpretation unless you turn the other two upside-down also.

And it might be possible I suppose for the bridesmaids. The foolish ones might reasonably have expected the wise ones to share, and the wise ones refuse to share, so that goes against community. And surely in other contexts we'd like to point out the value of sharing and community.

But here's where it becomes important I think that the first two are in fact parables, unlike the third: in the first two, to understand the meaning that these have at this point in the narrative, I think it's over-reaching to interpret the actions literally. The bridesmaids parable is not about oil; the talents parable is not about money. Jesus is using figures from the culture to illustrate his points -- the bridegroom giving a feast, the landlord delegating authority.

When we look to the third -- and here I'll drop calling it a parable -- we get an explicit statement about God. In this one, what we are to do is stated explicitly: feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit those in prison, etc. I don't see a way to turn this upside-down. One might, point out all the useful features of goats, and problematic features of sheep, and that could lead to an interesting reflection. But it's not what this passage is about, and I don't see how you can turn things on their head and declare that acting like the goats -- ignoring the hungry, the naked, those in prison, etc. -- is the right path.

So since the third one can't be turned upside-down, I don't think either of the first two should be turned upside down either.

You could use them to reflect on human society, and point out all the embedded human problems in the culture from which these are drawn that persist in our culture that we would like to work against here and now. But I think if you turn them upside-down in terms of what they're really about -- how to prepare our whole life to come before God and God's judgement -- and furthermore fixate on the surface details -- oil, money -- then you've missed the point of what the Evangelist portrays Jesus as saying about God here.

I didn't have anywhere near as developed a set of thoughts about this when I started the thread. Reading what people have said has brought to my current position stated here.

The next thing I wonder about is whether we can use the parables of the Bridesmaids or the talents to conclude anything about what we are to be doing, beyond the instructions in the Sheep and the Goats. I'll have to go back to what people said earlier in the thread.

--------------------
Truth

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

Nice!

--------------------

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

No one seems to have mentioned the parallel parable in Luke.

The preceding story of Zaccheus and money, as well as the line ‘A nobleman went to a distant country to get royal power for himself and then return' might argue for Herzog's analysis more readily. [Big Grin]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Grrr, drat!

No, I guess I'm happy to know about the parallel in Luke. It just means I'll have to give it a whole new study over in that Gospel to see how Luke frames the parable. In this connection I think Luke 18 as well as Luke 19 helps to frame it -- here are a lot of parables about the evils of mammon. And maybe even going back further in Luke: to find the equivalent point in Luke to the point in Matthew, where Jesus starts the discourse that leads up to this parable being told.

I think that we first have to establish its meaning in Matthew, and its meaning in Luke, separately. The evangelists might use the parable different ways, even taking into account the characteristic differences in focuses and emphases of the different evangelists.

There may not be a single unitary meaning across different evangelists.

I think there's still meaning to discuss on the Matthew version and setting. For example, the question I asked a little while ago: do the parables of the Talents (and the Bridesmaids) in Matthew give us any indications about what to do in preparation, that adds in any way to the instructions given in the Sheep and the Goats? And how do we figure that out?

--------------------
Truth

Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
All three parables are introduced by the phrase at 25:1 "the kingdom of heaven is like this". The third parable makes it explicit that it is God who is the judge, and we humans who will be called to account for what we did or didn't do... I don't think that within that arc it makes sense to give the second parable an upside-down interpretation unless you turn the other two upside-down also.

But that arc is Matthew's...

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is exactly the point I made above Garasu an it seems to have been completely ignored.

What the parables meant to the evangelists may be something different from what Jesus meant when he first spoke it.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

I don't know how to sort out where to start from in that case. Matthew's arc? Luke's arc? An attempted reconstruction of what Jesus meant independent of how the material has been presented by the evangelists?

shamwari, how do you conclude that it's a riposte against the religious leaders? I understand you're ignoring the context as not relevant to how the parable was originally used by Jesus, but why come to the interpretation that it is against the religious leaders, as opposed to any of the many other possible interpretations?

I didn't mean to be ignoring anyone's points. Evensong's interpretation was the first one where I could gather my thoughts to try to say anything in response. Now as the discussion develops, I'm circling back and starting to be able to think of responses other than an uninformative "oh" to the earlier posts.

[ 27. April 2014, 21:28: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I take the view that, in the parables, Jesus used morally imperfect analogies drawn from real life in order to reveal spiritual truths. On the face of it, the master in the parable of the talents is grotesque, and it is difficult not to feel sorry for the servant who hid his talent. The punishment is out of all proportion to the servant's failure, which can hardly even be called a crime. If Jesus intended to teach us about how to handle money righteously, then I would have to concur with Evensong. After all, the servants who made more money must have made it at the expense of others somewhere down the line. This seems to be a glorification of free market capitalism in which the nervous and frightened poor, who start with the least money to invest, fail to take risks. The parable appears to validate the attitude of some of those on the religious right who have contempt for the poor, accusing them of laziness, lack of ambition and, most perniciously and cruelly, a lack of faith in God. From a materialistic point of view, the parable could not be more opposed to the ethics of Jesus Christ.

But I believe that Jesus used the shock factor to provoke his hearers into thinking about spiritual truths. From a material point of view, the servant with one talent did nothing wrong within the framework of Christian ethics. But if the talents represent a spiritual currency given to each of us by God, then this servant can be seen in a radically different light. In my opinion, this servant failed to bear spiritual fruit in his life through the grace of God given to him, as a result of a deep-seated hostility to God ("I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed"). He was paralysed into inaction and ineffectiveness by his obsession with playing safe. As I see it, this servant represents the attitude of the self-obsessed religious conformist, who is only interested in saving his own skin, and pussyfoots around the things of God in order to ensure that God will never judge Him ("because God, after all, is a pretty nasty piece of work").

This is the Christianity of obsessive religious legalism, in which no risks can ever be taken, no difficult decisions made, no controversial subjects considered. It is a religion of pat answers and simple principles, in which everything is 'certain' and there are no grey areas. It's the spirituality of "I'm alright Jack" and "As long as God has saved me, then sod everyone else..." (aka "Mevangelicalism"). And it's the spirituality of "you can never be too careful with God, and so I am not going to take any risks, in case I endanger my own precious salvation."

The interesting thing is that this servant did not even do the bare minimum to achieve a return on his talent. Even non-risky behaviour is shunned by the self-obsessed religious legalist, who just will not rouse himself to do anything, for fear that he will offend God.

As for the rejection of the "wicked and lazy" servant: well, I think that there was already a spiritual chasm between the servant and the master, just like the "goats" had already alienated themselves from Christ in the account that follows this parable in Matthew 25. So "cast the unprofitable servant into outer darkness" and "depart from me you cursed" are merely descriptions of the spiritual reality that already existed, as a result of the choices of these people.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a kind of analogy I call "How much more" which takes a morally imperfect person (the unjust judge, the tricky manager) and basically says, if such a nasty piece of work can behave this way, how much more will God do for you? I don't think Jesus is anywhere near as tender of God's reputation as we are, when it comes to telling parables. If we misunderstand, well, so be it.

As for the servants, though--I'm afraid I can only take this one in a traditional sense and get any "yes, that's right" assurance from it. That is, the servants represent each of us, all of whom have been given the Gospel to steward while the Lord is, er, "away." And it doesn't really matter how well you succeed(five talents, two talents, whatever) as long as you do SOMETHING instead of sitting on your ass refusing to carry out the job responsibilities you were hired to perform. The third servant is an idiot not because he didn't bring home a major profit, but because he does crap all when investing the money is his job description. And when the master growls about at least putting it with the bankers, I take this to be parallel to "if you won't share the Good News with anybody else, at least let it bear some freaking fruit in your own personal life!"

To change the metaphor, the deposit is like seed. Either plant it, or don't accept it in the first place. Planting is a risky business, but seed that is never planted will assuredly never bring any return at all.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with you on this, Lamb Chopped.

Before we start to turn the "conventional" meaning of the parable on its head, we need to be sure that 2000 years of Christianity has completely misled. The "plain" meaning of the parable is what we have all grown up with - use what God has given you. This makes sense and seems to "fit".

But if we follow this traditional line, that doesn't mean that we should equate the master of the parable with God. Parables are NOT allegories!

Also, I think we need to be very careful about assuming that, since usury was forbidden in the OT, the expectation of the master was wrong or that the third servant was doing what was "right". There is an awful lot we just don't know about the life of 1st century Israel. I am very sceptical about claims along the line of "this is what life was like then and so this is why our understanding of the parable has to be turned on its head."

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
I take the view that, in the parables, Jesus used morally imperfect analogies drawn from real life in order to reveal spiritual truths. On the face of it, the master in the parable of the talents is grotesque, and it is difficult not to feel sorry for the servant who hid his talent. The punishment is out of all proportion to the servant's failure, which can hardly even be called a crime. If Jesus intended to teach us about how to handle money righteously, then I would have to concur with Evensong. After all, the servants who made more money must have made it at the expense of others somewhere down the line. This seems to be a glorification of free market capitalism in which the nervous and frightened poor, who start with the least money to invest, fail to take risks. The parable appears to validate the attitude of some of those on the religious right who have contempt for the poor, accusing them of laziness, lack of ambition and, most perniciously and cruelly, a lack of faith in God. From a materialistic point of view, the parable could not be more opposed to the ethics of Jesus Christ.
QB]

Well said.

quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
[QB]
But I believe that Jesus used the shock factor to provoke his hearers into thinking about spiritual truths. From a material point of view, the servant with one talent did nothing wrong within the framework of Christian ethics. But if the talents represent a spiritual currency given to each of us by God, then this servant can be seen in a radically different light. In my opinion, this servant failed to bear spiritual fruit in his life through the grace of God given to him, as a result of a deep-seated hostility to God ("I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you have not sown, and gathering where you have not scattered seed"). He was paralysed into inaction and ineffectiveness by his obsession with playing safe.

It's not deep-seated hostility. It's fear that may be based on experience.

As for the idea that this parable represents God giving us each different amounts of Grace to do with as we should - Luke's version counteracts that - all are given the same amount of money.

And if God gives us little Grace (one talent as in this parable), if we fail to live up to that even little bit, how can that be our fault? You want someone to do great things? Give em lots of Grace.

The Christian tradition says as much - we don't do things on our own - we do them via God's Grace.

I still think the traditional interpretation is tosh and makes God look like a monster.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is one area in which the traditional interpretation utterly fails in my experience: the fruits of the spirit. I feel like I have lived under judgment of the traditional interpretation of this parable for much of my life and it has left me lost, confused, paranoid and nearly despairing. I have no idea where or how to invest, or how to manage those investments to make returns. This is utterly exhausting and debilitating, and leaves me with very few means for actually living. If the parables are about life in the kingdom of God's love, an interpretation which leads to life rather than death is needed.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

The parable is meant to be challenging. It seems harsh but this precisely its purpose. The Jews thought just being a Jew, to belong to the Old Covenant, was enough to grant entry into the kingdom. The parablöe shows us that this is not the case. It's not a parable about social justice, or about the evil of ususry etc. The Law of Moses already told them that. God clearly expects a return on the grace he has given us, grace demands our cooperation. And as I said before, if we read this parable in light of the epistle of St. James, for instance (faith without works etc.), this becomes abundantly clear.

[ 29. April 2014, 04:57: Message edited by: Ad Orientem ]

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

Parables usually center around an aphorism.

In this parable this is the aphorism:

For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.

If you can't make sense of that, you've missed the point. Because the aphorism is the point.

The grace idea or the faith vs works idea does not work to explain the aphorism.

An "evils of capitalism" rendering fits the aphorism much better. As a critique.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

No, that just liberation theology worked into the parable. It doesn't fit. Be it any the political gospels that have done the rounds, trying to work it in is much like a toddler trying to put the wrong shape into hole on the board: you can force it in but it's still not the right shape.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

The traditional interpretation forces it more than the liberation theology one: God still comes out looking like a dick.

[ 29. April 2014, 06:13: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Ultimately we shall just have to agree to disagree, nevertheless I can't see that the parable has anything other than a spiritual meaning as is the case with all the parables. Whenever Christ is questioned concerning the nature of words he always makes this quite clear. It is not a political Gospel. "Render unto to Caesar that which belongs to Caesar etc". "My kingdom is not of this world etc". The Gospel of Christ transcends politics which is why it's wrong to work political idealism into it, whether that be liberation theology, the prosperity Gospel or whatever. They're all doomed to fail because that's not what the Gospel is about.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Whenever Christ is questioned concerning the nature of words he always makes this quite clear. It is not a political Gospel. "Render unto to Caesar that which belongs to Caesar etc". "My kingdom is not of this world etc".

From this world is a better reading in the Greek.

quote:
The Gospel of Christ transcends politics which is why it's wrong to work political idealism into it, whether that be liberation theology, the prosperity Gospel or whatever. They're all doomed to fail because that's not what the Gospel is about.

The Gospel does indeed transcend politics, but it is by no means removed from it.

Kim Fabricius is magic on this as usual:

quote:
1. The doctrine of the ascension is the basis of all political theology – and why there can be no such thing as apolitical theology. The church cannot be a cultus privatus because Jesus of Nazareth, “crucified under Pontius Pilate,” reigns and his edict is public truth. Remove Christ from the forum and it does not remain empty: nature abhors a vacuum; idols love one and soon fill it.

2. God is political. Cut the political bits out of the Bible – as Jim Wallis and some friends once did – and you’re left with “a Bible full of holes.” God is political – and God takes sides. In the Old Testament, Yahweh’s exodus and covenant “bias / preferential option for the poor” is now a well-worn phrase – but an undeniable fact. And the New Testament – Luke in particular – doesn’t drop the ball: the Magnificat and the Jubilee Manifesto suggest the game plan.

But to balance that:

quote:
5. The point is not that the poor and oppressed have a monopoly on virtue, let alone that they are an elect group, rather it is simply that they are the ones who get screwed – and God doesn’t like people getting screwed. So God sends his servant Moses, his spokesmen the prophets, and finally his Son Jesus, their Big Brother, to take care of the bullies, though he fights with his mouth not his fists. Not, of course, that God loves the oppressor any less than he loves the oppressed; indeed his rescue mission is to liberate them both, the latter from their humiliation and suffering, and the former from their pride and violence.
Ten propositions on political theology.

Besides.....spiritualising the Gospel too much makes it skate too close to gnosticism.

"Strategically Christians should work for a world that asymptotically approaches the kingdom of God." (i.e. the Gospel is political, but it transcends and is not completely identified with politics)

[ 29. April 2014, 07:47: Message edited by: Evensong ]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

Our faith can and should dictate how we act in the political sphere but that is a world apart from trying to impose political idealism on it, as if the Gospel approves of one political system above another. It doesn't. The parables are designed to express a spiritual truth not a political system.
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Our faith can and should dictate how we act in the political sphere but that is a world apart from trying to impose political idealism on it, as if the Gospel approves of one political system above another. It doesn't.

I think it does. It just has its own brand of political idealism that will never be fully defined or realised by our contemporary ones - purely because WE do not bring in the Kingdom fully - God does.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The traditional interpretation forces it more than the liberation theology one: God still comes out looking like a dick.

I really don't think this bothers Jesus at all. Though if it bothers you, you might consider the "how much more" analogies I mentioned above.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
quote:

I really don't think this bothers Jesus at all.
God the father being a dick doesn't bother Jesus?

Wasn't he the same chap that said "God is light, in whom there is no dickness at all"?

quote:
Though if it bothers you, you might consider the "how much more" analogies I mentioned above.

I'm afraid I don't understand how your "how much more" analogy works in this parable. The master is a dick so look how much more of a dick God is?

Or the master is a dick so how much more will be God be unlike the master? If the latter, the liberation theology interpretation fits.

Btw, I'd be interested to hear how you interpret the punch line of the parable (the aphorism I quoted above).

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are similarities to other parables. Take, for example, the fig tree. Is the man who owns the unfruitful fig tree "being a dick" for wanting to uproot and burn it?

In the parable of the talents, it is lack of fruit that is punished. Just the same as with the fig tree, although here there is no gardener to plead for a last chance.

But the basic message is the same. You have been given talents/soil to grow in, you are expected to bear fruit, if you don't then you're out and what you have will be given to those who do bear fruit.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Parables usually center around an aphorism.

In this parable this is the aphorism:

For to all those who have, more will be given, and they will have an abundance; but from those who have nothing, even what they have will be taken away.

If you can't make sense of that, you've missed the point. Because the aphorism is the point.

The grace idea or the faith vs works idea does not work to explain the aphorism.

An "evils of capitalism" rendering fits the aphorism much better. As a critique.

I love this, although I disagree with the conclusion.

I especially like this:
quote:
I agree that this aphorism, which is also found elsewhere, is the point. Everything depends on how you understand the aphorism.

It is easy to view the aphorism as fundamentally unfair - or as an expression that rages against life's unfairness.

I don't think that it is unfair at all.

As I understand it, the aphorism is saying that if you have love, you will get more love. But if you don't love, then you will lose even the love you have.

Similarly, if you have faith (as a grain of mustard seed) you will gain more faith. It will grow. But if you don't have faith, then even the small amount of faith that you have will be taken away.

A similar contemporary aphorism is:
quote:
"The rich get richer and the poor have children."
This is the very picture of the unfairness of life.

But its spiritual equivalent - dealing in spiritual rather than worldly riches - is eminently fair.

The difference is that whereas scarcity is a given in the physical world, the spiritual reality is entirely different. In spiritual terms "riches" are limited only by desire. You can have all the love you want, and the more you give away the more you have.

This makes both the aphorism and the parable into a clever expression of God's love and how to participate in it. The servants who did not fear the loss of riches, and who freely traded in them, experienced spiritual growth.

The idea that any of this has anything to do with the evils of capitalism is completely understandable. I think that the reader is invited to consider that possibility, which is directly articulated by the servant with the one talent. But I think that to take that bait is to miss the point.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
quote:
quote:

I really don't think this bothers Jesus at all.
God the father being a dick doesn't bother Jesus?

Wasn't he the same chap that said "God is light, in whom there is no dickness at all"?

Jesus appears to have no concern whatsoever for God's public reputation. He regularly tells parables in which the leading character (master, vengeful king, unjust judge) is easily taken as corresponding to God (whether correctly or incorectly, this is still shockingly careless of him). He highlights God's apparent unfairness in his preaching (e.g. "sends rain on the just and the unjust") and never, ever attempts to duck or even answer the theodical questions ("who sinned, this man or his parents?" "Neither, but that the works of God might be displayed"--where's the justice in that?). To sum up, he speaks in ways we now call the "difficult texts," that have the much more timid Christian church scurrying to take the bite out of them, even two thousand years later. That smoothing over impulse seems to be an impulse from which Jesus himself is entirely free. This probably ought to teach us something, but I'm too timid myself to go and do likewise.

quote:
quote:
Though if it bothers you, you might consider the "how much more" analogies I mentioned above.

I'm afraid I don't understand how your "how much more" analogy works in this parable. The master is a dick so look how much more of a dick God is?

Or the master is a dick so how much more will be God be unlike the master? If the latter, the liberation theology interpretation fits.

Btw, I'd be interested to hear how you interpret the punch line of the parable (the aphorism I quoted above).

You missed the point. The "How much more" analogy is one where you take a small, decidedly lacking object(such as a human father or an unjust judge), point out that even this object can do some kind of good (give food to his children instead of a snake, give justice to a widow in order to keep her from driving him crazy), and THEN go on to say, "If X can do Y, how much more will God (who is actually good, unlike X) do Y!"

As for the aphorism, it's a clear, uncomfortable and uncompromising statement of how life works in the spiritual realm. Use what God has given you, or lose it. God's character only comes into it if you are a hearer/reader who assumes that God is morally obliged to rescue people from the natural consequences of their foolish and malicious actions. (And yes, I do take that last servant to be both foolish and malicious.)

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
There are similarities to other parables. Take, for example, the fig tree. Is the man who owns the unfruitful fig tree "being a dick" for wanting to uproot and burn it?

In the parable of the talents, it is lack of fruit that is punished. Just the same as with the fig tree, although here there is no gardener to plead for a last chance.

But the basic message is the same. You have been given talents/soil to grow in, you are expected to bear fruit, if you don't then you're out and what you have will be given to those who do bear fruit.

This.

There is nothing to suggest that we're dealing with a poor widdle twee that has been planted in a bad place or otherwise prevented from doing what trees do naturally. Similarly, there is nothing to show that the one-talent servant is actually a poor, put-upon creature, suffering under an abusive master. We have only his excuses--"I knew you were a hard man"--and the master's ironical acceptance of that character--"if that's how you think I am, why didn't you at least do the bare minimum to keep your ass out of trouble?"

We have the silent contradiction of the other two servants, who work for the same master and yet had no difficulty in producing appropriate fruit. We have the master himself behaving reasonably, rewarding the second servant just as he does the first, and not expecting him to do more than is reasonable given the smaller amount invested in him. The master even suggests that if servant three HAD taken the lazy (and possibly immoral) bankers' option, he would have let him alone instead of tossing him out on his ear.

Basically, the master is expecting the servants to do their job, just as the landowner is expecting the tree to do a tree's job. If he gets a response, even a minimal one, good. If he meets with unreasonable refusal, eventually the tree--or the servant--will be out.

--------------------

A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am indebted to Kenneth Bailey for my current understanding of this parable. I will try to give a brief outline, and a fuller exegesis can be found in Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes pp.397-409. The version in Luke has additional details not found in Matthew’s gospel, which allows the full implications to be drawn, so I will pick out points from both versions. (With apologies for jumbling them together a bit.)

When the servants are given the sums of money, they are expected to engage in trading with them. Because it isn’t their own money, but their master’s money, the trading that they do will be in the name of their master, not in their own names. This is the critical point. By doing so, they will be demonstrating their loyalty to their master – that they are their master’s men.

In Luke’s version (19:11-27; with a nobleman master) the social environment in which this loyalty is to be shown is hostile to the nobleman/master. See v.14 – the subjects of the nobleman didn’t want him to rule over them. So the servants trading with their master’s money, in his name, are putting their necks on the line. Bailey comments that the instruction they were given: ‘Put this money to work until I come back’ can be translated with a different shade of meaning as ‘... in the expectation that I will come back’. So the servants will have to put their faith in the word of the nobleman that he will return with the kingdom, while operating as their master’s men in a trading environment where others are hostile to the name of the man in whom they are trading.

So the nobleman returns, and calls his servants to give account of the amount of trading that they have engaged in (as shown by how much they have gained). With our Western capitalist mindset, we see the important aspect as the amounts that have been gained (and thereby show the truth of the view that everyone comes to the Biblical text with preconceptions). But the sums themselves aren’t the main point. What the gains show is that the servants have been loyally trading in their master’s name. Except for the one who hasn’t. The servant who hid the money isn’t criticised for not making a profit, but for disloyalty. He didn’t think that the nobleman would return with the kingdom, and therefore wasn’t prepared to show that he was his master’s man by trading in his name.

Bailey gives a credible explanation for the interchange between the disloyal servant and the master about the master being a ‘hard man’ and the master’s suggestion that the money should have been put on deposit, but I regret that I don’t have the time to explain here.

The application is clear. The nobleman/master is Jesus, who is going away to receive a kingdom. (Which was going to happen in the not-too-distant future; and now Jesus is seated at the right hand of God in sovereign power, but has not yet returned to the world to demonstrate his kingly reign.) The servants are the disciples (and all subsequent disciples who believe in the witness of the Apostles). Those servants (Jesus’s disciples, both then and now) are expected to demonstrate their loyalty to Jesus in a social environment of people who do not want Jesus to be their king. That social environment is the secular world which is hostile to the kingship of Christ. When Jesus returns he will look for evidence of loyalty to him by his servants having acted in his name with the gifts that he has given them. (What do the sums of money represent? Hmmm, that’s a bit more difficult to pin down, but I guess anything that can be used to demonstrate to the world around us our loyalty to Jesus.)

And from Luke’s version, a stark warning in verse 27: ‘But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them – bring them here and kill them in front of me’. Two points: yet another warning that the enemies of Jesus, those who do not acknowledge his kingship, who do not want him to rule over them, the ungodly who reject Jesus, will be executed. And it will be done by the loyal servants as the agents of the king’s justice. (Bit of a tangent here, but I’m fascinated to find this as a piece of evidence that supports my view that the execution of the Amalekites in the OT is a prefigurement of God’s judgement on those who oppose His purposes and that God’s people (in that case the People of Israel) are the ones who carry out the execution of God’s judgement.)

So for Matthew to include this parable (re-expressed in a briefer version) in the discourse about how the disciples are to behave while awaiting the second coming of Jesus (which is what Matt.24:36 – 25:46 is all about) is entirely logical.

Hope that all makes sense – it’s been a real rush to get this all down.

Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to take a different tact on this parable. I think the parable is about the doing what it takes to expand the kingdom of God.

Often times Jesus will use an example of what may be considered ruthless to get a greater point across.

The third servant admits that his master reaps where the master does not sow. The master gathers where he has not seeded. The master will do any thing to expand his estate.

In the case of the first two servants, they did what the master wanted. They took risks and doubled their talents. The master is pleased and adds to their possessions, inviting them to enter his joy.

In its literary setting, Jesus tells this story to his disciples (24:3) to prepare them for the days ahead when their faith will be tested. This parable depicts how the disciples are to demonstrate their faithfulness as they anticipate the return of the Lord.

What does faithfulness look like in a time of waiting? In Matthew's Gospel faithfulness is emulating the ministry of Jesus. Jesus has announced the arrival of God's kingdom by feeding the hungry, curing the sick, blessing the meek, and serving the least.

All who would follow Jesus are to preach the good news of the kingdom to the whole world (24:14) by going about the work that the master has called them to do (24:24-51). This work includes visiting the sick and imprisoned, clothing the naked, welcoming the stranger, and feeding the hungry (25:31-46). Those who are found faithful may hear their Master say, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

In doing these activities, which are in themselves very risky. Nonetheless, through them the kingdom of God expands.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Often times Jesus will use an example of what may be considered ruthless to get a greater point across.

The third servant admits that his master reaps where the master does not sow. The master gathers where he has not seeded. The master will do any thing to expand his estate.

This reminds me of David's words:
quote:
2 Samuel 22: Therefore the Lord has recompensed me according to my righteousness,
According to my cleanness in His eyes.
26 “With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful;
With a blameless man You will show Yourself blameless;
27 With the pure You will show Yourself pure;
And with the devious You will show Yourself shrewd.
28 You will save the humble people;
But Your eyes are on the haughty, that You may bring them down.

Psalm 18:24Therefore the Lord has recompensed me according to my righteousness,
According to the cleanness of my hands in His sight.
25 With the merciful You will show Yourself merciful;
With a blameless man You will show Yourself blameless;
26 With the pure You will show Yourself pure;
And with the devious You will show Yourself shrewd.
27 For You will save the humble people,
But will bring down haughty looks.

That is, the way that the wicked servant saw the master was a reflection of his own point of view.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016