homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: The Disciple whom Jesus Loved (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: The Disciple whom Jesus Loved
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the persona adopted by the author of John referred to who was ostensibly himself as "the disciple whom Jesus loved," what exactly did he mean about their relationship compared with Christ's relationship with the other apostles and with other people? I know some people like to say it meant romantic/sexual love but I see no reason to believe that given the way the word love was used at that time.

So what does it mean?

[ 02. July 2015, 23:34: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hunch is that the Johannine community which was the context of the writer had a ambivalent relationship towards the communities founded by Paul and Peter.

So IMHO, I consider the material about the Beloved Disciple to reflect the post-Resurrection Johannine community asserting itself against the dominant Petrine/Pauline churches.

"My founder was greater than your founder, he was Jesus' favorite!"

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is maybe downright simpleminded, but I don't think John meant to imply any sort of comparison to anyone else at all. I think he was making a theological statement about himself, possibly mainly TO himself, as a kind of self-reminder--basically saying, "this is my real identity: that Jesus loves me."

If that is the case, then every Christian can appropriate the title just as well. You, and I, and X, are "the disciple whom Jesus loved."

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This comment is in young person Sunday School territory, but we thought it was in contrast to Judas, the disciple Jesus obviously hated.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with Lamb Chopped.

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
This comment is in young person Sunday School territory, but we thought it was in contrast to Judas, the disciple Jesus obviously hated.

I presume you don't mean this literally, but the irony is too subtle for me.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
When the persona adopted by the author of John referred to who was ostensibly himself as "the disciple whom Jesus loved," what exactly did he mean about their relationship compared with Christ's relationship with the other apostles and with other people? I know some people like to say it meant romantic/sexual love but I see no reason to believe that given the way the word love was used at that time.

So what does it mean?

Why "ostensibly"? The identity of the final redactor of the fourth gospel is contentious. As is the identity of the "beloved disciple". There are no obvious answers here.

A few posts down, Judas is referred to as a man Jesus obviously hated. Read the gospels, FFS!
Judas is only obviously the man the cowardly disciples - the runners-away, hated.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think John's mention of his credentials goes more towards his setting out the authority in support of his message. Rather than his writing to a Johannine community (there would be little need to waste resources on preaching to the converted), this smacks more of a writing to an audience that did not take what he believed at face value. There are a few other statements in the gospel as well that produce the sense that John is responding to an issue - mainly the credentials of Jesus, but secondarily his credentials in support of the primary support of Jesus' credentials. If that sentence makes sense....
Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In writing about "the disciple whom Jesus loved" St John gives us a personal aspiration. Each Christian would wish to be a disciple loved especially by Jesus. And we have a picture of what, specifically flows from that.

A beloved disciple lies close to the heart of Jesus, as at the first Eucharist.

A beloved disciple is one who's loving eyes first discern Jesus while others are merely puzzled, as in the post-resurrection appearance by the Sea of Galilee.

A beloved disciple stands at the foot of the cross.

A beloved disciple receives Mary as his mother.

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And he worked (with Mary,) for a long time, teaching people, and wrote the Bible too. I'm very glad that he was a disciple, and also felt that Jesus loved him, which is true.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure I would agree that Jesus hated Judas after all, Jesus specifically called Judas to be a disciple, one of the inner circle. Jesus also allowed him to be the treasurer of the band. It was Judas that broke the connection, and when Jesus accepted that Jesus told him to go and do what he had to do.

Going to the "disciple whom Jesus loved," I personally think it this disciple could have been Mary of Magdala. There are times in the narrative where the disciple whom Jesus loved appears to be separate from John.

[ 05. February 2014, 16:26: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He also seems to be separate from Mary of Magdala, eg. in John 20 it specifically says Mary runs to tell Peter and the other disciple, the one who Jesus loves, that 'they have taken the Lord...', and they both run off to check leaving her behind.

It is always 'he' never 'she' in reference to the beloved disciple.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The disiciple Jesus loved is trafitionaly thought to be John talking about himself and his relationship to Jesus.
And no I don't think Jesus hated Judas. He made a very bad set of mistakes. Ending in betrayal.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pine

Those of us who would argue that Mary of Magdala is the Disciple Whom Jesus Loved feel that the John 20 passage was an insertion Mary of Madala ran to Peter (and the disciple whom Jesus Loved). A redactor inserted this in order to make it more palatable so it could be put in the canon.

From John 29:25-27 we get an interesting picture. It says as Jesus was being crucified there were Mary, his mother, Mary, the wife of Clepos, and Mary Magdala. When Jesus sees his mother there he turns them, and says "Dear Woman, here is your (son)" and to the disciple whom he loved, saying "Here is your mother." From that time the disciple took her to (his) home."

The reference to the disciple being male seems to be an insertion because no where in the story is there any reference to John being at the cross (remember the male disciples had all vanished after Jesus was arrested).

Two external sources strongly suggest Mary of Magdala was the disciple whom Jesus loved:

Gospel of Philip: There were three who always walked with the Lord: Mary his mother and her sister and Magdalene, the one who was called his companion. His sister and his mother and his companion were each a Mary.

And the Gospel of Mary says a certain Mary, commonly thought of as Mary of Magdala, was loved by Jesus more than any other companion. In fact, the other disciples grumbled because they thought Jesus was telling her more then them.

[ 06. February 2014, 04:39: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

Oops, I meant John 19, not John 29.
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the conversation with Jesus after the post-resurrection picnic (in John 21), Peter demands, angrily "What about that man/fellow?" The BD, we have been told, has just appeared on the scene. How is this explained by those (and there are many) who claim that Mary was the BD?

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
not in answer to your main question, but just a note on the "angrily"--I don't see that at all. I see it rather as Peter (feeling very uncomfortable with the prophecy of his own death and anxious to turn the subject!), hurriedly gloms on to the first topic he can think of, which happens to be John standing nearby. There may also have been a hint of jealousy involved, as Jesus' rebuke may indicate--or may not.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
In the conversation with Jesus after the post-resurrection picnic (in John 21), Peter demands, angrily "What about that man/fellow?" The BD, we have been told, has just appeared on the scene. How is this explained by those (and there are many) who claim that Mary was the BD?

I'm not one of those people, but I assume they would say that the BD stories were originally a collection about Jesus' friendship with Mary Magdalene that as they were being redacted to be put into the 4th gospel had their pronouns changed.

My view would be that the BD is John the apostle, who in some sense stands as the (an?) authority behind the gospel (not author in the conventional English sense of that word). I think the idea that the form of the reference is designed to encourage readers to put themselves in his place has much to recommend it.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't John a cousin of Jesus and that's why, as a relative, he was loved?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And John looked after Jesus' mother after all others get killed in various places. John shifted away and lived for many years.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
Isn't John a cousin of Jesus and that's why, as a relative, he was loved?

Why do you say that? In Luke's gospel, Jesus' and John the Baptist's mothers are cousins. I don't know of any tradition of Jesus and John the apostle being related by blood.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the argument is based on the lists of women present at the crucifixion.

Matthew 27: 55-56
There were many women there, looking on from a distance, who had followed Jesus from Galilee and helped him. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Joseph, and the
wife of Zebedee

Which shows that John the Apostle's mother was present.

John 19: 25-26
Standing close to Jesus' cross were his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. Jesus saw his mother and the disciple he loved standing there; so he said to his mother, “He is your son.”

which suggests that the wife of Zebedee was Mary the mother of Jesus' sister. So Jesus and John the apostle were cousins.

And further

Mark 15:40-41
Some women were there, looking on from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of the younger James and of Joseph, and Salome. They had followed Jesus while he was in Galilee and had helped him. Many other women who had come to Jerusalem with him were there also.

So John's Mum, and Jesus' Aunt, was called Salome.

IIRC FF Bruce accepted this reading.

--------------------
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest" R.A. Zimmerman

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Wow. I've disagreed with FF Bruce before, but generally found him a sober voice worth listening to. I have to say that this seems like harmonizing gone mad to me.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:
Wow. I've disagreed with FF Bruce before, but generally found him a sober voice worth listening to. I have to say that this seems like harmonizing gone mad to me.

Nope, perfectly reasonable; certainly more reasonable than suggesting that John was Jesus' boyfriend or that TDTJL was Mary Magdalene.

[ 23. February 2014, 13:30: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hart:

Nope, perfectly reasonable; certainly more reasonable than suggesting that John was Jesus' boyfriend or that TDTJL was Mary Magdalene.
The comparison I'll grant.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
not in answer to your main question, but just a note on the "angrily"--I don't see that at all. I see it rather as Peter (feeling very uncomfortable with the prophecy of his own death and anxious to turn the subject!), hurriedly gloms on to the first topic he can think of, which happens to be John standing nearby. There may also have been a hint of jealousy involved, as Jesus' rebuke may indicate--or may not.

I hope this isn't too much of a tangent. I'm sure most traditional Christian scholars would agree with you, LC. Technically, we are not allowed, from our owwn insights or experiance, to read into an evangelist's words ideas that were never in the in the writer's head in thefirst place.

The problem here is that we are dealing with a gloss on a hearsay. It may well be true that John interpret's Peter's "What about that fellow?" as a response to his prophecy of Peter's death. But John was writing long after the event - and obviously after Peter's death.
If the traditional interpretation of the passage is true, then we have Peter's "What about that fellow?" as a response to John's gloss on Jesus' words - inserted for the best possible reasons.

But at the time of the actual conversation, without the benefit of the evangelist's hindsight, what is there in the words of Jesus that could possibly make Peter think he was talking about his (Peter's) death?

I'm acutely conscious that it could apply to any hothead who wants his own way - me included. When I was young, I made my own decisions, said and did whatever I wanted. But there will come a time when I may need someone to hold my dick in the toilet. So it's not a good idea to be judgmental about my friends!

Peter had issues with the disciple whome Jesus loved, I'm sure of it.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

OK, let me repeat that rather cumbersome question and apologise for the questionable modern analogy.

Why would Peter think (as John thinks, with the benefit of hindsight) that Jesus' little lecture referred to the way in which he (Peter) would die? If Lamb Chopped can't or won't help me with this, maybe someone else can?

Are we meant to assume that Peter could read the mind of Jesus as well John could, decades later? Or have I missed something in the text?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
OK, let me repeat that rather cumbersome question and apologise for the questionable modern analogy.

Why would Peter think (as John thinks, with the benefit of hindsight) that Jesus' little lecture referred to the way in which he (Peter) would die? If Lamb Chopped can't or won't help me with this, maybe someone else can?

Are we meant to assume that Peter could read the mind of Jesus as well John could, decades later? Or have I missed something in the text?

Aauggghhh, Pimple, I was NOT deliberately refusing to "help you". It's been a bit busy in my life right now, and I didn't see this. [Roll Eyes]

Okay. "Are we meant to assume that Peter could read the mind of Jesus as well John could, decades later?" Actually the simplest solution is that Peter understood him perfectly well at the time the conversation went on--remember, they had been living together for more than three years at this point, and Jesus was, er, in the field of communications--I would assume he knew how to phrase his point in a way that Peter would understand it. After all, we don't see Peter turning round immediately to say "Huh?" As reported, Peter seems to have understood it all too well for comfort.

Really, it would make more sense to ask how John knew what it meant, not how Peter did. Jesus was talking to Peter, therefore had tailored his words to Peter, and had every reason to believe that Peter would take his point. Jesus was NOT talking to John, had not invited him along on this walk, and if anybody was going to misunderstand, I suspect it was John, the eavesdropper.

So let's ask it: How does John know what Jesus meant in that private conversation with Peter? No, I'm not going to pull out the theory of inspiration here, but the much simpler I think Peter told him later. After all, they were the two pillars of the church left after James bar Zebedee died. I'm sure they talked quite a bit.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Thanks for coming back at - I mean for - me, LC. But it all seems too tidy for me. Everything makes perfect sense. But only read/understood backwards, so to speak. The issue of Peter's prophesied death only becomes apparent in the context of Jesus' remark about the beloved disciple, which comes aftert "what about that man? - and there's no way Peter could have known what was coming in advance. It's as though John wants to contradict in advance the far more obvious explanation - that Peter wanted somebody[/i/] punished, perhaps even killed. And it would be natural for the BD, coming late on the scene, to assume that Peter was talking about [i]him.

I know this is all rather counter-intuitive (is that what I mean? Left-field, anyway) but it's all far too pat to assume that the whole conversation was heard and recorded from start to finish. This was a private conversation, and clearly not a friendly one at times - Peter's truculence is pointed out by the evangelist. So there will have been raised voices, and muttered sulks, and Jesus's quiet insistence cutting through it all to remind Peter that his task wasvto feed the sheep, not slaughter them.

[ 13. March 2014, 15:18: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Thanks for coming back at - I mean for - me, LC. But it all seems too tidy for me. Everything makes perfect sense. But only read/understood backwards, so to speak. The issue of Peter's prophesied death only becomes apparent in the context of Jesus' remark about the beloved disciple, which comes after "what about that man? - and there's no way Peter could have known what was coming in advance. It's as though John wants to contradict in advance the far more obvious explanation - that Peter wanted somebody[/i/] punished, perhaps even killed. And it would be natural for the BD, coming late on the scene, to assume that Peter was talking about [i]him.

I know this is all rather counter-intuitive (is that what I mean? Left-field, anyway) but it's all far too pat to assume that the whole conversation was heard and recorded from start to finish. This was a private conversation, and clearly not a friendly one at times - Peter's truculence is pointed out by the evangelist. So there will have been raised voices, and muttered sulks, and Jesus's quiet insistence cutting through it all to remind Peter that his task wasvto feed the sheep, not slaughter them.

Okay, we'd better have the text:

quote:
15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19 (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”

20 Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who also had leaned back against him during the supper and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?” 21 When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” 22 Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” 23 So the saying spread abroad among the brothers that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

24 This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true.

Okay, little ground clearing. They've had breakfast. Jesus and Peter have apparently walked a little way from the rest of the guys, as we can tell from verse 20, where John decides to come after them. Jesus does the three question thing with Peter, says something ominous about "when you were young... but when you are old...," and finally reinstates him with "Come, follow me".

It is at this point that Peter catches sight of John following them. It is by no means clear that John overheard the whole thing prior to this point--indeed, I rather hope not, as it would suggest eavesdropping. In either case, Peter could easily have retold the story of John at any time in the next twenty years, as they were destined to be closely associated for a long, long time. And I don't see why anyone should make the automatic assumption that either of them disliked the other. There's no evidence for this, and in fact we have two occasions where Peter relied on John to do him a favor (asking Jesus a question at the last supper; getting him into the high priest's courtyard).

My reading is that the "when you were young... when you are old ... where you do not want to go" is sufficiently ominous all by itself that Peter could have, should have, picked up that it was a reference to his death. The picture painted suggests helplessness and a gathering doom. Particularly if Jesus illustrated the "stretch out your hands" bit by stretching out his OWN nail-pierced hands. Shudder. Immediately followed by "Follow me." Where? Apparently to the cross. No added input needed to draw conclusions about death, even if John had stayed quietly seated by the fire.

This uncomfortable more-than-a-hint of doom is, I believe, the reason why Peter looked around and seized on the first thing he could think of to change the subject (as usual), which in this case, happened to be John. It's a very natural line of thought--"You've just prophesied doom for me. I don't want to think about that right now--let's see, how can I change the subject, 'What a pretty day' would sound silly--ah, John! Thank goodness. Lord, what about that guy?"

At which point Jesus comes back with a reply that makes it even more uncomfortably clear that yes, the first ominous prediction WAS about death, don't try to evade the subject, and second, don't pry into other people's business, hey?

As for Peter's truculence and wanting to someone killed--sorry, I just don't see it at all. Why would Peter be either truculent or bloodthirsty? The emotional logic of it is just all wrong.

Here you have a guy who thought he could be brave and buff, even looked down on his fellow disciples, and ended up failing horribly--denying the Lord he loved, making a total basketcase of himself, and really shaking up his own self-image to boot. Peter had time for a lot of thinking on Friday and Saturday, and I don't think he liked any of it. The only anger or bloodthirstiness he would have been feeling at that point would have been against himself, assuming he's a halfway normal human being--and I do think so. Self-disgust, grief, anger at self, toxic shame, broken heart--all of that. In fact, I suspect the other disciples might have been keeping a quiet eye on him in case he should try to harm himself. I know I would've been, particularly with Judas' example so fresh.

Into this emotional devastation walks Jesus, Sunday morning, alive again. I probably ought to say "runs"--because he has a private little interview with Peter the content of which is never reported anywhere, but it is important enough that Jesus puts it on his agenda almost first thing Resurrection Day--doesn't even wait till the evening, with the rest of the disciples. And poor Thomas has to wait a full week. (but then, he's not suicidal, either)

What was that interview about? I think we can guess, given Peter's subsequent behavior at the sea of Galilee--the impulsive jumping overboard to get to Jesus as fast as he can--he can't bear to wait five minutes; the putting on of his clothes just beforehand to show him honor, even though they'd been living together cheek by jowl all those three years, and Peter would spend the rest of the day in soggy underwear for it; the fact that Jesus says "You-all bring some of that fish you'all just caught" and Peter takes that plural instruction entirely to himself, jumps up and runs to haul the nets in singlehanded, and even COUNTS the freakin' fish (there were 153), which nobody commanded him to do... there's a real element of "You say jump, I say 'how high, and what else can I do for you, Lord?'" about all this. I mean, if Jesus had asked for a little extra firewood, you can just see Peter would have been the first to go chop down a redwood with his bare teeth. These are the actions of a greatly relieved, deeply in love, forgiven sinner.

Now, under those circumstances, is there any likelihood that Peter is going to revert to his old blustery, truculent manner that got him into such spectacular trouble so very, very recently? I can't see it, no. I think he stayed humbled for a good long while (not forever, but hey). I suspect that, having been loved and forgiven so overwhelmingly, there was nobody on the face of the earth Peter was going to hold animosity against. Heck, you can see it just a couple weeks later, Acts 1, when Peter has occasion to discuss Judas and his actions. With incredible restraint he says only "he left us to go to his own place," which is emphatically NOT the kind of thing Peter would have said before his own fall and restoration.

So back to the picnic at the beach. I do not think Peter wanted anybody punished or killed. I suspect he was still totally overflowing with the love and humility that comes from being forgiven the unforgivable himself. I doubt he could have mustered the venom to spit at Caiaphas at that point, let alone John. Nor would he intentionally argue with the Lord who had just loved and forgiven him for the worst screwup of his life.

So I take Jesus' rebuke to be the very much milder one of "mind your own business, Peter, you've got more important concerns to deal with." Which is a reminder to simple human frailty and requires no anger or bloodthirstiness to be present.

[ 13. March 2014, 21:28: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

It's an interesting and charitable take on the text. Why does Peter put clothes on in order to haul in the fish? I thought it was for modesty's sake because he was in a hurry to get ashore before the others -leaving them to haul the catch in. but I might have misread it; how do we know it was Peter who counted the fish? And did Thomas really have to wait another week - or do you mean he had had to wait an extra week? The chronology is almost impossible to pin down, I would think, because John says at the beginning of chapter 21 "After this..." (doesn't he?) But that may be just a way of tacking on the extra bit of evidence that has come to light after the original version of the gospel was finished.

I 'm not entirely sure about my own feelings towards the big fisherman. Do I hope he was forgiven? After the denial, yes, but the gruesome tale of Ananias and Sapphira lurks in the background. I am not in a congregation of one in thinking Peter was a blackguard. But I sure as hell don't think Jesus loved the good guys and hated the bad - the way we do, the way the church fathers did from the outset, the way the whole gang of judgmental Christendom has always done.

[Shambles off, in an everlasting shroud of grumps. Somebody give the old git a beer and tell him to cheer up...]

[ 14. March 2014, 17:12: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
It's an interesting and charitable take on the text. Why does Peter put clothes on in order to haul in the fish? I thought it was for modesty's sake because he was in a hurry to get ashore before the others -leaving them to haul the catch in. but I might have misread it; how do we know it was Peter who counted the fish? And did Thomas really have to wait another week - or do you mean he had had to wait an extra week? The chronology is almost impossible to pin down, I would think, because John says at the beginning of chapter 21 "After this..." (doesn't he?) But that may be just a way of tacking on the extra bit of evidence that has come to light after the original version of the gospel was finished.

I 'm not entirely sure about my own feelings towards the big fisherman. Do I hope he was forgiven? After the denial, yes, but the gruesome tale of Ananias and Sapphira lurks in the background. I am not in a congregation of one in thinking Peter was a blackguard. But I sure as hell don't think Jesus loved the good guys and hated the bad - the way we do, the way the church fathers did from the outset, the way the whole gang of judgmental Christendom has always done.

[Shambles off, in an everlasting shroud of grumps. Somebody give the old git a beer and tell him to cheer up...]

[Hands Pimple a virtual beer] [Killing me] I just love "everlasting shroud of grumps." Must remember that for personal use, oh, about 7 a.m. tomorrow....

The only reason I can think of for Peter to dress before flinging himself overboard was to show Jesus extra respect. They'd lived together for what, three years? and I'm sure that everybody in the disciples' group was thoroughly familiar with one another's bad-hair-and-body days, so it wasn't modesty. And John takes particular note of the dressing, which suggests it was unusual and unexpected. Heck, so was the jump into the water--they weren't that far from land, so he could have waited five minutes if he were going to be practical. Yet he didn't. It was the gesture that counted.

As for who counted the fish, it's clear (particularly in the Greek!) that Peter jumped up to take the whole "deal with the fish, boys" task on himself. Nowhere does it say that anybody else moved a muscle. I rather suspect they tried, but Peter shushed them off with the well-known "don't worry about it, I've got it, thanks" routine recognized by every adult who's fruitlessly tried to help an elderly parent clean up after a Thanksgiving meal. [Biased] Which, if I'm reading this correctly, would make Peter the over-enthusiastic counter-of-the-fish (I mean, REALLY. What was the point of that, again? [Big Grin] )

The Ananias-and-Sapphira thing is a whole 'nother can of worms, and I'm not going to hash through it (winces at bad metaphor) here. We've had threads-a-plenty on that one. But it is possible to read that in less-than-a-blackguardly way too, and even if not, it's clear the other disciples had their moments as well.

About Thomas--all I meant to say is Jesus left him to dangle in the wind for an extra week. Thomas heard the news Sunday, refused to believe it (daresay I would have, too), and got to spend the following week sticking his fingers in his ears and going La-la-la-LA, I can't hear you! to everybody else until Jesus showed up again that eighth day. Could Jesus have made a special appearance for him, say, on Monday? Sure. Did he? No. Why? could be lots of reasons, but one that leaps to mind is simply "it wasn't necessary." Thomas wasn't going anywhere. A week of la-la-la wasn't going to hurt anything but his temper. Peter, on the other hand, was IMHO a real suicide risk. And Jesus had had enough of that among the people he loved.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

The phrase 'stretch out your hands' is a euphemism for crucifixion. It's a bit like 'putting your head on the block' means being beheaded.

Another similar euphemism is when Jesus said 'the Son of Man must be 'lifted up' - that is an accepted term meaning crucified. It's a bit like being 'strung up' means being hanged.

When Jesus told Peter he would 'stretch out his hands' Peter knew exactly what he was talking about.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He had a natural affinity for John as a younger friend, they got each other, Jesus projected on Him. Felt natural affection for him. Saw Himself in him. The brother He never had among the four He did have. You know, normal, mutual vulnerability, sense of humour, friend stuff. Nothing special. Everybody else was too much bloody hard work from Peter on down.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone please define "love" in this context. Does the word "loved" mean the emotion, acting charitably or in a caring manner, or something else. I always have thought this segment meant that Jesus looked rather kindly on this disciple, sort of fatherly like and someone noted the rather affectionate parental manner.

Further, when talking to Peter, isn't he simply saying that his leadership is not based on authority, but rather of follower-leader affection. Like in histories of royalty where we read that King or Queen <someone> was well-loved by their subjects?

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
The phrase 'stretch out your hands' is a euphemism for crucifixion. It's a bit like 'putting your head on the block' means being beheaded.

Another similar euphemism is when Jesus said 'the Son of Man must be 'lifted up' - that is an accepted term meaning crucified. It's a bit like being 'strung up' means being hanged.

When Jesus told Peter he would 'stretch out his hands' Peter knew exactly what he was talking about.

Thank you for that. I wasn't aware of the euphemism. Is it used elsewhere? Or do you just mean it's an accepted euphemism among Christians?
I can quite see how it could be. But not how it has to be.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

quote:
quote:

Thank you for that. I wasn't aware of the euphemism. Is it used elsewhere? Or do you just mean it's an accepted euphemism among Christians?

John 8 v 28 and John 12 v 32 also speak euphemistically about the crucifixion as being 'lifted up'.

The latter says:
"But I, when I am lifted up from the earth , will draw all men to myself." He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.

So we can see there that his listeners, hearing the phrase 'lifted up' knew immediately that Jesus was talking about being crucified.

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out of curiosity, what's the phrase "the disciple whom Jesus loved" in the original language? Is this in Biblical Greek? Aren't there several different words in that language for "love?"

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

The phrase the disciple whom Jesus loved (Greek: ὁ μαθητὴς ὃν ἠγάπα ὁ Ἰησοῦς, ho mathētēs hon ēgapā ho Iēsous)

I've only copied this out of Wikipedia - is that word 'agape'? If so, there's definately no erotic love there!

--------------------
G.K. Chesterton

Jammy Dodger

Half jam, half biscuit
# 17872

- Posted      Profile for Jammy Dodger   Email Jammy Dodger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checked on Blue Letter Bible and the word is definitely "agapao" or agape love.

--------------------
Look at my eye twitching - Donkey from Shrek

Posts: 438 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
quote:
quote:

John 8 v 28 and John 12 v 32 also speak euphemistically about the crucifixion as being 'lifted up'.

The latter says:
"But I, when I am lifted up from the earth , will draw all men to myself." He said this to show the kind of death he was going to die.

So we can see there that his listeners, hearing the phrase 'lifted up' knew immediately that Jesus was talking about being crucified.

Not sure which set of listeners you are referring to, or to whom the euphemism was obvious. If it was obvious, why does the evangelist explain it? The same quibble applies to John's (unnecessary?) explanation that Jesus was showing Peter how he was going to die.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I've seen no proof for the euphemism idea either way, and would like to see sources. Now (post NT) those meanings automatically occur to us, but we'd really need something from way back then to prove they are in common use and not Jesus' own idiosyncratic way of referring to crucifixion. Got any sources?

I think the "lifted up" bit is far more likely to be a ref to the snake-lifted-up-on-a-pole story in the OT, actually.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

I'm grateful to the OPer for the title. We already have a number of threads on "The Beloved Disciple" - who appears nowhere in the bible.

But that's how the church has known him/her for centuries.

Are they the same person?

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Someone please define "love" in this context.

Well, I think the word has its background less in Greek language use and more in line with its heritage within the Hebrew language tradition. It would connote more 'a loyal relationship' founded on expectations of reciprocal duty. if there was any emotion or connotation associated with the English word 'love' then that would have purely secondary - and might also be a wrong interpretation.
Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

I think the church has a problem with Jesus, as God, having any emotion whatsoever - perhaps because of its abhorrence of sex. But the old testament is full of commands not to go whoring after other gods...

I always think of the love between Jesus and that unknown disciple as posssibly being like that between David and Jonathan.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Don't think it has to do with sex at all--rather with a mindset that is more based on the Greek ideas of impassibility (or a misunderstanding of them) as opposed to the biblical portrait of a very emotional God. There are those who take emotion to be the sign of a fluctuating, changeable person, which by definition cannot be divine. But that's just silly, and shows a misunderstanding of God's emotions too.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
I think the church has a problem with Jesus, as God, having any emotion whatsoever - perhaps because of its abhorrence of sex. But the old testament is full of commands not to go whoring after other gods...

I always think of the love between Jesus and that unknown disciple as posssibly being like that between David and Jonathan.

There is a tendency to sexualize things that may have nothing to do with sex isn't there?, a troubling tendency of thought and argument. The "whoring after other gods" is obviously metaphorical - thanks for that - though I've heard the argument that this is in response to fertility cults/practices involving sex.

In parallel: the sexualising of Sergius and Bacchus.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

the "whoring after other gods" thing is simply a further use of the metaphor you can find all over the place of God's relationship to his people being like a husband's relationship to his wife. This is a major, major metaphor in Scripture, and if you are going to operate in that territory, then it makes sense to equate infidelity to God with sexual/marital infidelity. In other words, "whoring" after other gods doesn't need to have any actual sexual component. It just has to mean major unfaithfulness.

If that particular metaphor gives people trouble, it's easy enough to switch over to the economic metaphor Jesus used in his parables (and the prophets too)--namely, that we are God's servants who are embezzling or otherwise unfaithful with his goods and therefore in a serious relationship mess with our boss. Or switch to the faithful father/ungrateful son metaphor. No need to drag actual sex into it.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
No need to drag actual sex into it.

Exactly my thinking.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

One of the gospels describes the panic of the disciples when Jesus is arrested. One of them, wearing only a loincloth, drops it, and runs away naked. We never hear of him again.

Or do we?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016