homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Finding a bible, picky picky picky (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Finding a bible, picky picky picky
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry my father prefers the Revised Version to the RSV .

The standard edition of the Jerusalem Bible however comes with extensive notes with a decided Roman Catholic flavour.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a fascinating list of and reasons for various bible translations, tclune! I'll seek out a Harper Collins study bible (NRSV is fine there, for study). I have the Oxford Annotated NRSV, but don't thrill to it. I find much more interesting the Oxford Annotated JPS, which I read for the same reasons you do. The notes in the Ox.Ann.JPS are much more interesting than in the Ox.Ann.NRSV.

I'll keep an eye out for an Artscroll Tanakh. Goodness only knows when I'll ever learn more than a few Hebrew letters (I haven't even been able to master the whole alphabet yet), but it would be fun to have the Hebrew text and enjoy tracing out a word or two here or there.

It's a curious thing about more recent translations. I suppose I ought to want a more recent translation, that incorporates all the latest textual discoveries. But at some point my innovative interest dies and my desire for stability takes over. For study, sure, that's a different matter, have lots of translations. When I'm preparing for reading in church, I usually read the RSV, the REB, and sometimes the Nicholas King NT translation. Then in church I read from the NRSV. For a long time I liked the REB best, but then in preparing for reading I would start finding myself preferring the NRSV or RSV.

Another Bible I'd like is the Darby? Tyndale? something of that ilk, pre-KJV. Some of the Seventh Day Adventists I occasionally worship with, like it a lot, so I'd like to have one and see what it's like.

It's odd, in a way, that I'm now reading the Bible a lot more, because of reading Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer. But I'm reading a lot less of different translations or study materials, because I'm wanting to read stably through one bible without distractions.

I've gotten these bibles some at bookstores and some online. Buying online can be a pest because it's hard to sort out the precise editions and bindings. But bookstores don't always carry the variety I'm looking for.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laurie17
Shipmate
# 14889

- Posted      Profile for Laurie17   Email Laurie17   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Catholic Truth Society do a very nice travelling bible. Copact size and with a thing that snips to shut it. Nice thin silver edged bible paper. Maps and Notes and Intros to each book added by the CTS people.

I got it at the Pantasaph friary, near erm Pantasaph, recently.Seemed ideal-- Jerusalem translation too.

Ideal for in hand bag or rucksack etc when on the move.

Then I was invited to be a Godparent and this brandnew Bible seemed an ideal Christening present ! I felt a twinge parting , but also pleasure at seeing her parents delight (No-one else had given a Bible, or even a Missal so far !).

I added a nice Quaker book mark too, for enhanced Catholicity ! [Angel]

[Smile]

--------------------
when thee touched my heart
I were undone like dropped blossom
Daw'r ffordd yn glir yn araf deg.

Posts: 659 | From: off hand | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a note that the Darby Bible has a premilennial Dispensationalist "spin" that will raise eyebrows of persons not of that particular eschatological persuasion.

Back in my student days one of my campus pastor friends and pastoral intern both preferred the New Jerusalem Bible for pulpit use. I've never owned a copy, but I agree that it seemed to "read" well during the lessons.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Autenrieth Road

A piece of advice, don't treat the bibles on the bookshelf in a store as the limit that store will supply. If I was looking for a specific version I have nearly always asked to see the Bible catalogues the store holds. This meant some fifteen years ago I could get my father a Revised Version which he wanted and later a leather bount Revised Standard Version. Most stores will order anything from the catalogues for you.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I'll keep an eye out for an Artscroll Tanakh. Goodness only knows when I'll ever learn more than a few Hebrew letters (I haven't even been able to master the whole alphabet yet), but it would be fun to have the Hebrew text and enjoy tracing out a word or two here or there.

I just wanted to say that I have begun a Hebrew self-teaching program. It is a four-workbook set. The first is called Aleph Isn't Tough, and introduces the entire alphabet in ten lessons. (I have the student book, not the teacher's guide shown. But I couldn't find an Amazon page that had the student version.)

The series is from the Reformed Jewish tradition, and was created to teach those lackadaisacal reformed jews how to read Hebrew. As is appropriate for the target audience, it includes lots of goodies about the Jewish tradition in the lessons.

I imagine that a typical interested and reasonably well-read Christian would be more-or-less at the kind of level of ignorance that is expected of the target audience. So far, the text is accessible and fun. FWIW

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh, I've got Aleph Isn't Tough. Also book 2: Aleph Isn't Enough. Books 3 and 4 are Bet is for B'Reishit and Tav is for Torah.

I've finally got the alphabet in the last two weeks. I re-discovered that it's in the front of my NJPS Study Bible, and somehow something finally clicked and I've been able to remember all the letters.

I think that means I can go back to Aleph Isn't Tough and absorb it finally. Thank you for the reminder!

Blessings for your studies.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm bumping this thread in the hope that people here might be able to suggest a one-volume Old Testament commentary that draws on patristic interpretations of the OT. Perhaps something like the Catena Aurea for the Gospels. But even more useful if has some of the standard stuff as well, but minimal detail on textual variants. I've become intrigued by some of the patristic commentary in Nocturn II of the Matins readings, when Nocturn I is taken from the OT.

Is the Jerome Bible Commentary any use in this regard? I've not been able to get to see a copy. But I do have plenty on the NT so one for only the OT would be preferable.

Posts: 136 | From: Antipodes | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
cg, I have copied your post to the thread on commentaries.

Moo, Kerygmania host

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

- Posted      Profile for cg   Email cg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Moo. My first visit to Kerygmania and I didn't know my way round it.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For many years I preferred the RSV but when studying, the NAS was used. It may be reasonable as a translation for study but it's wooden to read. It was an edition which used a single column, i.e. like a normal book, as opposed to a two column setting. My son bought it for me on his first visit to USA in the early 90s.

I was then given an NRSV. Unlike tclune who posted above, I really don't like the notes in the Harper Study Bible and have crossed out some I consider wrong and put question marks next to others.

This one does not have the Apocrypha which I would like to have included. However, it again is a single column setting.

Does anyone know of an NRSV like that? Leather bound if possible. Single column, Apocrypha, NRSV. Preferably not Harper Study Bible. Oxford is a double column edition as far as I can find.

I paid almost $100 Australian to have mine repaired five years ago. I could put that toward a new edition. I've looked in many catalogues, found one in Open Book catalogue which is the Lutheran supplier down here. However, they did not know when they would get another in.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Does anyone know of an NRSV like that? Leather bound if possible. Single column, Apocrypha, NRSV. Preferably not Harper Study Bible. Oxford is a double column edition as far as I can find.

Can you give some indication of the ways in which you find the Harper Collins notes inadequate? That may help focus suggestions.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

The NRSV Standard Bible published by HarperOne (is that Harper Collins by a new name? So hard to keep track of publishers these days) is the only single column NRSV currently available that I know of. It's not a study Bible, and only includes the standard NRSV translation notes.

It's bound in a faux leather hardcover, available in a couple of different colors, with or without Apocrypha. There's also an Anglicized Catholic edition (with Deuterocanonicals interfiled in Catholic fashion) for all you Catholic Brits (oddly, the Standard Edition is only available non-Anglicized, and the Catholic Edition only Anglicized).

The text setting is beautiful, and the volume overall attractive (and rather hefty). But, and it's a big but, the paper so thin that the bleedthrough and ghosting is atrocious. You can see through three or four layers of text. I'm usually not too picky about this sort of thing, but when I looked at it, I thought I was going cross-eyed, and I kept trying to clean my glasses. Except for that, it would be a perfect reading edition, but as it is, I keep picking it up at the bookstore, and keep putting it back.

Nevertheless, it's worth checking out if it's available where you are. Sample pages are available here.

[ 15. September 2009, 17:57: Message edited by: Wilfried ]

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the information, Wilfried. I think I may have seen that one a good while ago and it may be the one that Open Book used to sell.

I'm so used to my single column now after many years of two separate versions like that, that I'm reluctant to return to what appears to be the official versions with double columns.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
...people here might be able to suggest a one-volume Old Testament commentary that draws on patristic interpretations of the OT. ... Is the Jerome Bible Commentary any use in this regard?

I'm probably not going to be much help here, cg, as I not familiar with the type of commentary you are looking for, so apologies in advance.

It's difficult to find any commentaries that reflect OT patristic interpretations to the extent that you are seeking. That may possibly be because the early generations of biblical interpreters focussed so much more on the NT. I no longer have access to a copy of the Jerome Bible Commentary (or the more recent New Jerome Bible Commentary), but I remember I found it useful as a pulling together of various critical approaches to interpretation, so it is heavy on scholarly findings since the 18th century (AD, that is!). Actually that Commentary is also just heavy (both in weight and scholarly depth)! I don't think it would meet your need, given its more modern slant.

There are quite a few books out now that cover the methods used by early church commentators, reflecting a more recent revival of interest in how the early church went about reading the bible – but that's not the same thing as covering their actual interpretations.

Alas, the only thing I know of that comes close to your requirements – though not close enough, I fear - is a multi-volume series-in-the-making entitled Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture, of which 17 volumes cover the OT. That's approximately 16 volumes too long for your needs! I gather, however, that it is being produced in digital format so could be stored on a computer or mobile device.

Apart from that, there are several web sites that cover works by patristic interpreters, e.g. Christian Classics, or the Internet Christian Library.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone else can suggest something close to your needs...

Nigel

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cg:
I'm bumping this thread in the hope that people here might be able to suggest a one-volume Old Testament commentary that draws on patristic interpretations of the OT. Perhaps something like the Catena Aurea for the Gospels. But even more useful if has some of the standard stuff as well, but minimal detail on textual variants. I've become intrigued by some of the patristic commentary in Nocturn II of the Matins readings, when Nocturn I is taken from the OT.

Is the Jerome Bible Commentary any use in this regard? I've not been able to get to see a copy. But I do have plenty on the NT so one for only the OT would be preferable.

There is a one volume Orthodox Study Bible. I've never used it, but being Orthodox I'm sure its interpretation of the OT will be patristics heavy. The website is www.orthodoxstudybible.com.

If any Orthodox shippies have experience of using Orthodox Study Bibles I'd be very interested, as I try to get a wide range of interpretations on difficult passages and want to pick up a handy one volume Orthodox commentary. At the moment I've got the following to dip into:

Academic: The Oxford Bible Commentary
Con Evo: The NIV Study Bible (which is awful in a "OMG are these guys for real?" way, but happens to be hanging round the house).
Open Evo: Some N. T. Wright commentaries
Liberalish ecumenical: Bible Readng Fellowship commentaries.
Catholic: A Catholic day-by-day study thingy.

[ 16. September 2009, 10:34: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

Thanks for your suggestions, Nigel M. and Yerevan. I've ordered a couple of volumes of the Ancient Christian Commentaries on Scripture series for the books I'll be reading in the next few months, to try them out. That was before someone posted on the commentaries thread that s/he found them disappointing.

The Orthodox Study Bible certainly looks interesting, though the balance between text and notes on the page is the wrong way round for me. But it's surprisingly affordable, and might supplement what ever else I settle on.

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by cg:
The Orthodox Study Bible certainly looks interesting, though the balance between text and notes on the page is the wrong way round for me. But it's surprisingly affordable, and might supplement what ever else I settle on.

I picked it up because I was interested in getting a "user friendly" dose of the Philokalia in my studies. It really didn't do that for me at all. The notes are mostly uninteresting, despite being backed by some real heavy hitters of Orthodoxy. There is surprisingly little quoting from the Philokalia in the notes, and the commentary offered is considerably less interesting (to me) than the posts from the Orthodoxen on this board. For example, the Orthodox treatment of the Fall seems much more like dull-normal western Christianity than the nuanced understandings that the Orthodox among us tend to advance.

Any more, I pretty much ignore the notes. I still like having a translation of the Septuagint that is more readable than Bretton and the NT is the NKJ, which is the only book form that I have of that translation. The full-color icon plates are wonderful. So it's worth having if you've got a pretty decent collection of Bibles otherwise. But I had high hopes for really liking this, and was disappointed by how bland and rigid the notes were, as opposed to the open and invigorating sense that I get from other Orthodox works.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Nigel M:
Apart from that, there are several web sites that cover works by patristic interpreters, e.g. Christian Classics, or the Internet Christian Library.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone else can suggest something close to your needs...

Nigel

The big problem is that the Church Fathers didn't tend to write commentaries -- they interspersed commentary in their theological or pastoral writings. The most appropriate thing I can think of for retrieving commentary from their writings is a particular page of the Christian Classics Ethereal Library that you have already mentioned. One of their pages is an index of hyperlnks that is listed by Bible Book/Chapter/Verse. You click on the hyperlink and find yourself in the middle of some writing by one or another of the Apostolic Fathers that cites the verse.

It's a little tricky to use. To see where on earth you are, you need to scroll to the top of the document you jumped to. The far left side of the page will have a navigation bar that will show the author, book, and chapter that you're in. For example, the first entry on Genesis 1:1 will jump you to Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Book II, Chapter II. If you manage to find that info, you have understood how to locate where you are in the library after the hyperlink jump. Here is the page for the index by scripture passage into the Apostolic Fathers' writings. FWIW

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
It's a little tricky to use...

I think I might find my way around the Middle East Road Map for peace more easily! Thanks for the link, though - I will try it out.

Cheers
Nigel

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

I think that it may be worthwhile to slightly expand my comment that the Apostolic Fathers didn't tend to write commentaries. To my mind, they seemed to find scripture to be the explanation, rather than being the thing that needed to be explicated. In their writings, they would address a problem or question, and quote scripture to make it clear what the "right" answer was. We, OTOH, tend to be more like the Ethiopian eunich, asking how we can understand scriptures without a guide.

So, if cg is hoping for a commentary from the Fathers that acts to explain scriptures, I suspect he will be disappointed. One can gather what they thought a particular passage meant by "reverse engineering" that from how they chose to apply the text, but it's kind of an inversion of what we normally expect to get from reading a commentary. Just to set expectations a bit.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think that it may be worthwhile to slightly expand my comment that the Apostolic Fathers didn't tend to write commentaries.

The Apostolic Fathers wrote precious little that we still have -- it can fill a single paperback book. Do you mean the church fathers in general?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
I think that it may be worthwhile to slightly expand my comment that the Apostolic Fathers didn't tend to write commentaries.

The Apostolic Fathers wrote precious little that we still have -- it can fill a single paperback book. Do you mean the church fathers in general?
The link that I provided was for the Apostolic Fathers plus Irenaeus and Justin Martyr. That is the thing that I am discussing.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might this thread be an appropriate one on which to ask if anyone has any advice as to buying an audio-bible. Unabridged, preferably; in a modern translation and read in an English/"soft" non-English accent (I'm not sure I want to listen to John Wayne for that length of time, I'm afraid...).

Just had a look on Amazon and there appear to be more than I'd envisaged. Anyone got one that they'd be prepared to recommend?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

cg
Shipmate
# 14332

Have a listen here. I really liked Max Mclean's reading of some of the historical books. I'm less sure how he'd be with Paul's Epistles. And I don't know if these readings can be obtained offline.
cg
Shipmate
# 14332

Apologies for double posting, but I wanted to thank tclune for his contributions on the patristic commentary theme. I did want material that I could use offline, though. The conversation is now continuing on the commentaries thread.
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Might this thread be an appropriate one on which to ask if anyone has any advice as to buying an audio-bible. Unabridged, preferably; in a modern translation and read in an English/"soft" non-English accent (I'm not sure I want to listen to John Wayne for that length of time, I'm afraid...).

Just had a look on Amazon and there appear to be more than I'd envisaged. Anyone got one that they'd be prepared to recommend?

Thurible

I had a look a while back but didn't find anything (Maclean sounds too much like a character in a 1950s swords'n'sandals epic). My favourite audiobible reader is Johnny Cash, but its the KJV.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Checked there wasn't a thread specifically for Bible software.

I would like to get my father some Bible software, I think it might be easier than teaching him where to find the various translations on the web.

He wants this basically for sermon preparation (i.e. the ability to check that the translation in the pew says the same translation as the one he uses) and preparing to read set passages in worship again in the congregations own version.

Ideally therefore the translations should be
REV (the one he uses)
NRSV (home church uses)
GNB/TEV (quite a few other congregations use).

However I would settle for the second two.

My problem with Logos is not the cost but that I would only want a fraction of their smallest set, it just seems like overkill and likely to confuse Dad rather than become a tool he can use.

I am wondering about e-sword as it appears you can choose what you down load. In otherwords

How easy is it to use (not to install, as I will do that) but to use on an every day basis?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I am wondering about e-sword as it appears you can choose what you down load. In otherwords

How easy is it to use (not to install, as I will do that) but to use on an every day basis?

I love e-sword and use it a lot. I still use Bibles in book form most of the time, but there are some things that e-sword is just plain better at, and its interface is genuinely easy to use.

It excells at being able to compare multiple translations. There is no additional hassle in comparing the different texts.

It is a good replacement for a concordance. The problem I have with concordances is that I'm never sure what translation I'm remembering a verse in. With e-sword, you simultaneously search all the translations you have installed (if you use "extended search"), so you find the passage no mater what the wording of a particular translation.

Chain links are a joy with e-sword. I never found them useful at all in book form. By the time you find a link, you forgot why you were looking for it. With e-sword, just roll the mouse over the link and the verse pops up (using the current translation you are reading). If you want to explore the context of the verse, click on it and you're there. To return to the passage you were reading, just press the back browsing button. BTW, download the "Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge" to get an extensive chain reference for e-sword. But various of the commentaries will also use chain reference hyperlinks as appropriate.

You should know that the NRSV will cost you $15, but it includes the apochrypha, which is fully supported in the current version of e-sword for things like searches (not true of the last version).

You can get a nice library of the Church fathers' writings, Josephus' histories, and creeds of Christendom. Unfortunately, these are not linked in with the text of scripture at all -- they can just be read using e-sword. Once they're installed, go to "Topic Notes" and select the book from a drop-down window.

There is wonderful support for language studies of Hebrew and Greek, but it is tied to the KJV. The lexicons are the best of last century's scholarship -- Strong's, Thayer's, and Brown-Driver-Briggs are well-integrated into the interface. You can search on each Greek or Hebrew word as easily as you can search in English. It's a really nice interface for this sort of thing.

It s a little clunky to just read scripture -- the Bible is displayed a chapter at a time. To move forward a chapter, you hit F8 and back F5. It will take a while to remember those keys unless you print out a template for your computer. When you want to go to a different book of the Bible, you need to pull up a drop-down dialog to select book, chapter and verse that is not as elegant as one would like.

But it is a real pleasure to have maps, commentary, multiple translations, multiple versions of Hebrew and Greek text, lexicons and dictionaries all handy. There isn't a good modern scholarly commentary or dictionary, but there are wonderful classics available for free -- Wesley's notes, the Geneva Bible translators' notes, etc.

I would also recommend considering the NET Bible. You need to get it from Bible.org -- it isn't on the e-sword site for some reason. But it has modern notes on the text that are terrific, and the translation is a wonderfully fresh readable version. It will cost you some money ($20 ?), but is a complete delight. They also have a translation-but-no-notes version available there for free.

FWIW

--Tom Clune

[ 26. September 2009, 22:21: Message edited by: tclune ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thanks I did realise that the NRSV cost about £15 but compared to even the most basic of Logos packages that is peanuts.

The problem is that my father already has an extensive theological library and will use it in preference to the computer for most tasks. He is also a slow learner when it comes to computing. I agree such resources are probably useful but I want to to start him with something relatively simple. If he likes the interface and is happy with it, then adding things he wants later should be straightforward.

The reviews sound promising.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Thanks I did realise that the NRSV cost about £15 but compared to even the most basic of Logos packages that is peanuts.

I don't think this is the way to extend my fathers theological reading. My father already has an extensive theological library and will use it in preference to the computer for most tasks especially as he is also a slow learner when it comes to computing. So while I agree such resources are probably useful, knowing my father he probably already has a selection of them, what I want to to start him with something relatively simple so I am aiming for just the bible translations.

Maybe if he likes the interface and is happy with it, then adding things he wants later on should be straightforward.

The reviews sound promising and I have also spotted it has the RV, which will suit him quite nicely instead of the REB. Actually he probably does his sermon prep on that and only uses the REB when he gives a sermon.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

- Posted      Profile for Myrrh         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have no idea yet what this is like as I'm still in the process of downloading it, a new Eastern Orthodox NT.

Would appreciate thoughts from the Greek speakers here.

EOB

Re the Orthodox Study Bible, it's not what it pretends to be - as can be seen in some of the comments link below many think it is a translation of the Septuagint, but it isn't..

OSB

Myrrh

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

I have extolled the virtues of the NET Bible before. Let me just mention that the second beta printing (from 2003, and basically the same text as the first version from 2005, bu lacking some of the maps in that version) is on sale from bible.org right now for $10 +s/h. This is a leather bound Bible with gold edges and has full notes. Since the printed version is usually very expensive, this is a good opportunity to get a hard-copy version of this wonderful text at an affordable price. I plan on using this version until the second edition comes out in 2010 or so -- which will finally include the apocrypha. FWIW

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Further to your link:

From NETS
New
English
Translation of the
Septuagint

About NETS

Ken, I do have a vague recollection of the NEB arriving on the scene and being asked, in class setting, what we thought of the new translation. However, if the date below for its introduction is correct, then my memory of the event is junk..

And if the NKJV date is correct, then that was way after my time at school. We called it RK - I think we've had a previous exchange about that?

quote:
BibleStudyTipsBibles

American Standard Version. Nelson, 1901.
The Amplified Bible. Zondervan, 1965.
Companion Bible, KJV, Kregal Publications, reprinted 1990
Concordant Literal New Testament Concordant Publishing Concern, 1985
The Holy Bible: A New Translation (James Moffatt), Richard R. Smith, Inc., 1926
Holy Bible From Ancient Eastern Manuscripts A.J. Holman Company, 1957
*King James Version (or Authorized Version). Various publishers.
The Living Bible, Paraphrased. Tyndale, 1971.
The Message (New Testament & Psalms, Eugene H. Peterson), Navpress, 1993
*New American Standard Bible. Lockman, 1977.
New Century Version, Word Pub., 1996
New English Bible. Oxford/Cambridge, 1970.
*New International Version. Zondervan, 1978.
New King James Version. Nelson, 1982.
The New Testament (William Barclay), Collins, 1969.
The New Testament in Modern English. Macmillian, 1973.
The New Testament (Charles B. Williams), Moody Press, 1950.
The NIV Study Bible. Zondervan, 1985.
*Ryrie Study Bible. Moody, 1978.
Rotherham Emphasized Bible: A Literal Translation, Kregal Publications.
Young's Literal Translation of the Holy Bible, Baker Books, 1898, reprinted 1995

Myrrh
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
NEB New Testament was early 1960s, OT was 1970. I used it - I still have a copy - but I hardly ever remember it being used in church or school.

"RK" was what we called it though it became "RE" before I left school in 1975! And it would probably have been "RI" not long before I started school.

Its long ago now, but IIRC, the Bibles we used at school, primary and secondary, were, an illustrated edition of the RSV. It had a dark red cover. Line drawings in the text and some colour plates on inserts and maps at the back.You used to see it everywhere in churches and Sunday schools as well. I suspect that when people in their 40s or 50s (& maybe even 60s) remember the AV being used they are often really remembering this translation.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Nope, no red cover, black.

Oh goody, for the dates re NEB, my memory isn't quite as decrepit as I thought it might be!

Myrrh

HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone mentioned the topic of Bible software. I suggest looking into QuickVerse. I doubt if this will meet everyone's requirements, but it offers a number of different translations and assorted supplementary materials.

At one time, the only translation of the Bible I could find available for free download was the King James; I don't know if that has changed.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm after a compact NRSV, leather binding, with zip. It doesn't seem to exist, so is there anyone who will rebind a bible in this way? It's for a present, so a bit of expense wouldn't rule it out.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Hatless - NRSV

Product Description
This portable New Revised Standard Version Bible is available in eye-catching binding styles at extremely attractive prices. Its compact size makes it easy to fit into a purse or attache case. That makes it the perfect companion for people on the go, such as travelers, students and hospital visitors. The Pocket Edition's clear typeface makes it eminently readable, too.
* The perfect companion for people on the go.
* Available with and without the Apocrypha.
* Features a presentation page and crisp 6 pt. black letter type.
* 96-page, select NRSV Concordance.
* Unique and attractive binding styles, including one with a high quality zipper closure.

Myrrh

Myrrh
Shipmate
# 11483

Barnes and Noble $39 no shipping charge (members $31)

BandN

ChristianBook $29 shipping charge but not specified

CB

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perfect! Thank you.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Going back up the thread a bit to Lothorien's question, I recently got myself an NRSV Notetaker's Bible, another single column NRSV with Apocrypha, which I quite like. The single column text is very nice to read. The print is a bit small, but it's very clear on nice opaque white paper. It's a hard cover with about the look and feel, and charm, of a college textbook, but it has nice sewn binding. It's sellling point is it's two inch margins ruled for notetaking. I have taken some notes, though the lines are really narrow, so you have to scrawl in tiny letters with a fine point pencil or pen. It also comes in a deluxe version with a somewhat nicer cloth cover which I haven't seen in person.

You can see a sample of the page layout here.

Anyway, I'm pleased with it, and it fit the bill of a single column NRSV with Apocrypha, a rather rare breed, so I thought I'd share.

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
bump

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be anathema to scholarly Kerygmaniacs, but does anybody know of a good edition & translation of the Bible that doesn't have footnotes? The thing is, I just want one I can pick up and read. I don't want to be constantly diverted to the bottom of the page for something that's of (literally) marginal interest - and I'm afraid I have the kind of mind that, no matter how hard I try, can't resist following a *.

Extra points if anyone can recommend an e-Bible of this sort.

Extra extra points if it's cheap!

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bible I normally use is the New English version, including the Apocrypha.

I often wish I had a reference work with supporting materials: maps, timelines, etc.

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
...does anybody know of a good edition & translation of the Bible that doesn't have footnotes?

It's anathema Adeodatus!!!

The most notable attempt (that failed!) was the aim behind the version eventually published as the Good News Translation. Drawing on the 'dynamic equivalence'[1] linguistic theory associated with Eugene Nida,[2] this version began life with the belief that it should be possible to produce a work that communicated without the need for footnotes.[3] As work progressed, however, it was appreciated that this was just not going to be possible without risking wrong interpretations by readers.

The issue is that very few words in one language map exactly over onto an equivalent in another language. Even such an apparently simple word as 'love' in English does not overlap neatly onto the Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek words that it is often chosen to represent.

It is possible to not use footnotes, of course; the Amplified Bible managed to get away with it by including semantic 'footnotes' in the actual text.

You can find the Good News Translation online here and if you select any of the chapters, then click the "Page Options" button above the biblical text, deselect the "Footnotes" option - voila! Footnotes disappear!!

And it's free.[4]

[1] Also known as 'functional Equivalence'
[2] Executive Secretary for Translations, American Bible Society
[3] Explanatory notes contained at the foot of the page
[4] Sits up and begs for points

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016