homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: The Gospel of John, a verse at a time. (Page 37)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: The Gospel of John, a verse at a time.
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Dear! What I meant to say was that there's merit in taking seriously both the human and the divine, in... Oh Look! Isn't that a nice bunch of flowers over there..

[Swiftly flees out the door]

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is where we have got to:

"...13 But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world. 15 I am not asking you to take them out of the world but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. 16 They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself so that they may also be sanctified in truth..."

[John 17.13-19]

Sorry to post such a large piece at once but I think it's necessary to get the effect of the whole mesmerising ritual.

I can appreciate how comforting, in one way, these words must have been, addressed quite obviously to a terrified bunch of disciples.

But I have to say that I find the encouragement to see themselves as a very exclusive elite a tad disturbing. This may because of my own baggage. Towards the end of my confirmation preparation I was given the same sort of encouragement and I didn't find it complimentary - just rather creepy. I couldn't get away from the feeling that the world this guy was telling me to cut myself off from was peopled with a great many people who were far more attractive to me than my unpleasant mentor. An encouragement to stick together for mutual help is one thing. An encouragement to regard anyone who doesn't share your narrow viewpoint as demonic I find impossible to accept. Would I have accepted the words from Jesus, had I been there at the time? Possibly, had I been scared enough of the alternative.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, first of all, it's a prayer. Jesus isn't addressing the disciples at all. He's really, truly, asking his Father to do something. (Which puts him one up on certain pray-ers I've met, who seem to have forgotten Whom they're addressing!)

Now as for the elite thing--He says just two things about the disciples: that they do not belong to the world, and that he is sending them out into the world. Neither of those are clearly "you're so awesome" statements. If anything, the overall tone seems to be "you're in such danger"! Which is why he's begging the Father to look after them. They will be at risk both physically and spiritually.

These are not then a group of people who have been chosen to be elite. They are a group of people who have been chosen to serve even at the price of suffering. He says flat out that they're going to be hated (big surprise there) and that they won't belong. No wonder the listening disciples needed his earlier encouragement, "Take heart! for I have overcome the world."

They are emphatically NOT to cut themselves off from the world; they are to go out into it. Jesus sends them. Their adversaries are characterized NOT as people they should hate and reject, but rather as people who will tend to reject them. In spite of that, they are still sent out--sent out to serve those very people. What was it Bonhoeffer said? "When Christ calls a man he bids him come and die."

Nor does Jesus characterize "the world" as demonic. "The evil one" does refer to Satan, yes, but he is clearly someone different and separate from the world, however he tries to influence it. Here we have two of the traditional trio: the world, the flesh, and the devil. As Jesus sends the disciples out into the world, he asks the Father to protect the disciples against all three--that "sanctify them in your truth" is probably aimed against the temptations of the flesh as well as other sorts.

[ 26. February 2015, 00:58: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@pimple: I have a hard time seeing that the text itself portrays Jesus as encouraging elitism, although I can understand how it could have been twisted into that by your mentor.

Jesus said elsewhere that he came to serve, and while this text only says so indirectly, I think he was commissioning the disciples to serve with him, which sounds to me like the opposite of elitism.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, LC - the prayer thing. Absolutely. It looks so modern. You can imagine seeing Jesus there - in a film version, saying nothing, but with the prayer as a voice-over
W Hyatt - got it in one, I'd say. But that's one of the problems with the gospels - John's particularly. Nobody reads them with a totally innocent ear, so to speak. Already interpretations in themselves, readers, listeners, and further interpretations can do much harm. That's probably why the RC - and not exclusively them, prefer to control how the bible is propagated, read, and understood.

[ 26. February 2015, 13:29: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm maybe not getting something. Looks modern? Perhaps it's my naivete, but this is how I see it.

You have a bunch of tired, keyed-up, scared guys round a table after a long meal. (I assume all the womenfolk, kids, etc. you'd normally have running in and out during Passover have gone out now--though there may be an odd child or two asleep in a corner) Jesus has already indicated the end of the meal ("Come, let's be going") and their next stop is Gethsemane, a place they've been many times before and which is on their way back to Bethany, where they've been staying (and probably STILL think they'll be returning tonight). I don't know, they may even BE on their way to Gethsemane while the latter part of this discourse is going on, and the prayer in John 17 may take place at Gethsemane. I wonder.)

Jesus, of course, knows that his time is very very short. Judas has already left to betray him, Jesus knows that Judas knows Gethsemane as their meeting spot, so Jesus is anticipating that's probably where everything is going to come crashing down. (At least it won't be at the home of this hospitable family where they've had dinner, nor at Mary, Martha and Lazarus' home. Jesus is nothing if not considerate.)

Knowing this, he seizes the last few minutes he'll ever have with the whole group of disciples to pray for them. He entrusts them to his Father, as urgent and concerned for their welfare as any mother leaving her children home alone. Within an hour or two they will be like sheep without a shepherd, as Jesus goes off alone to suffer and die. And even after the resurrection, it won't be like the old days--they will need to learn to depend on the Holy Spirit, the Comforter, rather than having Jesus visibly and audibly there to lead them. And so you can hear the depth of feeling in this prayer. He loves these people, and he is leaving them. More than that, he is sending them out, ready or not, to become his witnesses, his missionaries, his church in a hostile world. This is graduation day. And they are still so unready.

Jesus prays out loud--well, they did everything out loud in those days, praying was no exception. And so we have these last words before the group gets split up--first with Jesus taking the three closest further to pray, then when he leaves even the three to pray by himself. And then, of course, the arrest and flight.

I'm glad his last words while they were still all together were a prayer for them. And us, too.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those nasty little prepositions are rearing their heads again in this passage! What is John trying to get across here (and do the English versions help him to do that)?
quote:

“...these things I speak in the world” (ταῦτα λαλῶ ἐν τῷ κόσμῳ)

“...because they are not out of the world, just as I am not out of the world” (ὅτι οὐκ εἰσὶν ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου καθὼς ἐγὼ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου)

“...I am not asking you to take them out of the world...” (οὐκ ἐρωτῶ ἵνα ἄρῃς αὐτοὺς ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου)

“...but that you keep them out of the evil [one]” (ἀλλʼ ἵνα τηρήσῃς αὐτοὺς ἐκ τοῦ πονηροῦ)

“They are not out of the world just as I am not out of to the world” (ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου οὐκ εἰσὶν καθὼς ἐγὼ οὐκ εἰμὶ ἐκ τοῦ κόσμου)

“Just as you sent me into the world, so I sent them into the world” (κἀγὼ ἀπέστειλα αὐτοὺς εἰς τὸν κόσμον)

John is somewhat ambivalent about the concept of “world” in his Gospel; he states it was all created by God (through Jesus), but that it did not recognise him. So when John records Jesus saying that he is speaking 'in' the world, is that significant, or just another way of saying “I'm not dead yet...”?

It feels as though, in a roundabout way, John is trying to draw a distinction between coming into the rebellious creation ('world' in its more negative sense), while not being of, or aligned to, that creation. Jesus and his followers are something of a fifth column, albeit a rather boisterous one, in operation behind enemy lines. They are not citizens of the rebellious state (out of the world, out of the evil [one]), but have to remain in that state, going into it while not being of or out of it.

I'm sure it all works out well in the end.

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

So how is a specially selected, close-knit fifth column at work in a society perceived as hostile not some sort of elite task force?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Originally posted by pimple:
So how is a specially selected, close-knit fifth column at work in a society perceived as hostile not some sort of elite task force?

Well, first of all, if anybody can join it. See "Christian church" [Biased] . That sort of knocks the "elite" right out of it. Second, when the fifth column (not my choice of words, but whatever!) is acting on behalf of the ordinary citizens and against their oppressors.

I suppose the closest analogue would be the French resistance to the Nazis.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

The rest of the prayer:

"...20 I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one. As you, Father are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us [or 'one in us'], so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may be completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. 24 Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I a to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

25 Righteous Father, the world does not know you; but I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them."
[John 17.20-26]

I cannot imagine, LC, why you are so confused about my comment about this prayer sounding modern. I have sat through a number of intercessions just like this in church. Indeed, it was why I left one of them. Private prayers should be private, between the supplicant and God - didn't Jesus say so himself somewhere? And this is a long hike away from
the Paternoster, isn't it. I just don't think it's something h
hoi polloi - of which I'm one - should be eavesdropping on this stuff.

[ 01. March 2015, 00:18: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm confused because I honestly have no idea how prayers of any time would sound different from each other. I mean, isn't it like breathing or making love-- a basic human process that is going to be recognizably the same through all generations? Augustine's prayers are similar, and Moses', and my own-- the differences I see from my own seem to stem from the pray-er being either clearly more holy or more of a natural poet or both, but other than those differences, I got nothing. I mean, my first thought was that you expected Elizabethan English or something, but I quickly put that aside as too silly. So yes, I really don't know what you mean by modern.

As for personal-- it's certainly heartfelt, but I don't see it as inappropriate, especially given the events just unfolding. I guess I 'm wondering-- why the hostility?

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Baggage again, probably. The Jesus of John is so unlike the Jesus I grew up to love. And that's part of why I'm hanging out here. To deal with John properly I have to read it it and read it all and not give up.

One good way of doing that is to write it out and this is a convenient place to do it. I started out with the very condescending attitude that of all those good Christians who claim to love the gospel of John, I doubt if many of them have read the whole thing (crediting them with my own impatience, perhaps). And it seemed to me that a
clever way of testing whether they did really love it - all of it - would be to keep he thread going and see just how many of them can stomach it. Where are the hoards of loving Christians ("love" appears more in John's gospel than in any other) eager to share their delight in it? Are they not significant by their absence? Or have I frightened them all away? Perhaps they think scepticism is dangerous - something they might catch from someone unsound in the faith? All I'm hostile to, LC, is the smug, self-satisfied attitude of those who want to regard ten scattered verses of a gospel or two as slam-dunk evidence for the justification of their narrow perspectives.

I'm not really that nasty. I get carried away...

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

No. It's more like this. If this were a film, a silent Jesus with (his) prayer as a voice-over would be very moving - and possibly, no probably very effective evangelizing. But you're right in objecting to my description of the scene as modern because this isn't a film script.

Some things, some very personal things - such as the treatment of Jesus by the soldiers before his execution - are best left inexplicit. The gospels largely recognize tis, I think.

So help me out with this. Why is it when reading Chapter 17 of John's gospel I see in my mind's eye not Jesus praying to the Father, but John and some of my former friends praying to the gallery - like the Pharisees Jesus was so scornful about?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
No. It's more like this. If this were a film, a silent Jesus with (his) prayer as a voice-over would be very moving - and possibly, no probably very effective evangelizing. But you're right in objecting to my description of the scene as modern because this isn't a film script.

Some things, some very personal things - such as the treatment of Jesus by the soldiers before his execution - are best left inexplicit. The gospels largely recognize tis, I think.

So help me out with this. Why is it when reading Chapter 17 of John's gospel I see in my mind's eye not Jesus praying to the Father, but John and some of my former friends praying to the gallery - like the Pharisees Jesus was so scornful about?

Okay, let me start here. (We're really having difficulty connecting, maybe this will do the trick.)

Where you apparently see someone praying to the gallery, this is what I see.

I see a man who knows he's about to die. A man with human passions and fears and loves, a man who is in no way enjoying the thought of what comes next, however necessary it may be. He is about to go through the hardest and most painful experience of his life, and in fact it has already started, with the betrayal of a close friend he loves and has spent the last three four years living with. (Think about that one for a moment. Jesus chose this guy to be with him, and Jesus is not a coldblooded man in any way, as we can see from his weeping, his welcome to the children, his compassion on the crowds, his heart overflowing for the mother of the dead man at Nain---etc. etc. etc. Now Judas. Jesus loved him, he trusted him, he gave him a responsible position in the group--which has also been betrayed. Have you ever had this happen to you? I have, and it's a hell like no other--to see someone you love deliberately pick up the knife to stab you in the back, not in the heat of the moment, but with premeditated planning. It happened to me. It was planned for months ahead of time. And the ones who did it were people we loved, we had chosen, we hand-selected for positions of leadership, we had dreams about handing over the future of our work to. So.

Emotionally, Jesus has to be reeling from this. (And no, knowing it's coming doesn't help much. We had a certain amount of advance notice too before the knife came down.) He still loves Judas--you don't stop loving someone just because they've betrayed you--if you did, it'd be so much easier, emotionally speaking. And it is carrying THIS most painful raw and bloody wound that Jesus turns to comforting and preparing the remaining disciples, most of whom have no clue what just happened or what's about to happen in the next eight hours.

Jesus talks. Jesus gives them his own body and blood in the Supper, though I doubt they understood much of what was going on at the time. And then he does the only thing left to him--the last act of any believing, loving, about-to-die human being--which is to entrust his family--yes, his family--to God's care. Since he won't be around to do this personally anymore! (Yes, it's hubris. deal with it. [Biased] )

Now I'm wondering--have you ever been present for THAT sort of prayer? The prayer of a family around a deathbed. The prayer of an immigrant leaving family behind that he may never see again. The prayer of a missionary about to return home, leaving the people he loves and has had his life entwined with for years and years.

There is no room for playing to the gallery in such a prayer. There IS no gallery present anyway. Just a man (or woman) and the dearly beloved people he/she is leaving behind. Close kin, closer than blood and breath, how can he bear to go and leave them? But he must. Immediately. And so he gathers them for the last best thing he can do--to pray and entrust them into the hands of the God who will watch over both while they are separated.

Most of the prayers I've been in of this sort have involved what is basically a group embrace. People standing in a circle, heads bowed, arms around their neighbors, while the engine of the car or plane warms up. People forming a circle around the head of a hospital bed, touching foreheads or hands or knees through the blanket, hanging on to the last moments together, entrusting the ones they love to the Lord.

I have no idea whether it was like that for Jesus and the eleven. It wouldn't surprise me, really. It's a human pattern repeated in all generations. Such prayers are usually simple in wording (this one is, too) and they are always said out loud, because those gathered are drawing comfort from their union in the Lord. Both the prayers and the prayees find that comfort. Which can only happen if they hear it, of course.

You may say I'm reading a lot into it--that nothing specifically says Jesus was feeling such-and-such an emotion at the time, or was deliberately taking leave of his loved ones in prayer. That's okay. I recognize the genre of this prayer, because I've been there for these prayers, I've prayed them myself with those I love. That's why I think I'm correctly supplying the emotional context for John 17. It's so very very familiar. And the events of Jesus' passion surrounding the prayer only confirm my impressions from the words.

Nobody grandstands or plays to the gallery under those circumstances. About to die, with nobody present but the eleven friends you've been sleeping and eating and bathing with for several years-there's nobody around to impress. They know you, right? They've seen you changing your underwear (well, loincloth or whatever). They know you snore and fart and burp. They've seen you Sunday, yes, and Monday and Tuesday and Friday night as well. It's a waste of time to try to impress them. Particularly when you're about to die and there's nothing to be gained from ego-stroking anyway.

That is why I don't see this as the playing-to-the-gallery crap your old acquaintances apparently pulled on Sunday mornings. That kind of shit only works when a) you expect to be around long-term to take in all the ego-stroking benefits of having people impressed with you ("oooh, what a great church leader!"), and b) nobody ever gets close enough to you (on Monday, Tuesday, Friday night at the club) to discover that you have embarrassing human weaknesses too. Neither of those are the case with Jesus in John 17.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
Baggage again, probably. The Jesus of John is so unlike the Jesus I grew up to love. And that's part of why I'm hanging out here. To deal with John properly I have to read it it and read it all and not give up.

One good way of doing that is to write it out and this is a convenient place to do it. I started out with the very condescending attitude that of all those good Christians who claim to love the gospel of John, I doubt if many of them have read the whole thing (crediting them with my own impatience, perhaps). And it seemed to me that a
clever way of testing whether they did really love it - all of it - would be to keep he thread going and see just how many of them can stomach it. Where are the hoards of loving Christians ("love" appears more in John's gospel than in any other) eager to share their delight in it? Are they not significant by their absence? Or have I frightened them all away? Perhaps they think scepticism is dangerous - something they might catch from someone unsound in the faith? All I'm hostile to, LC, is the smug, self-satisfied attitude of those who want to regard ten scattered verses of a gospel or two as slam-dunk evidence for the justification of their narrow perspectives.

I'm not really that nasty. I get carried away...

Well, first let me say that I don't mind the attitude. I may call you on it once in a while, but it doesn't disturb me personally. Better an engaged person with attitude than a half-asleep "whatever you say" deadhead in the pew. You know?

And then I'm a missionary. I LIKE people who are unconverted, half-converted, de-converted, whatever. I don't do well in a Christian fishbowl.

Now as to those who claim to love John. I can't speak for others, duh, but I'm one of them, and I'm here. And I'm here largely because John IS my favorite Gospel, and that particularly because of the love I see in Jesus, both in action and in words, in this Gospel. (I like Luke a lot too, but we're talking about John right now.)

[You know, one reason you may not see much action on this thread may have nothing to do with John at all. It's simply that the thread has been going on since what, 2010? Take a look at the "Torah Nonstop" threads and see how tired out everybody is. It's just human to get that way, no matter how fascinating the subject.]

But back to John.

Here's some of what I see in John that makes me love this Gospel. In no particular order.

There's the wedding at Cana--Jesus attending an ordinary human celebration of the sort that many sages would turn up their noses at, complete with wine and merrymaking and noise. And look how kindly and unobtrusively he steps in to make sure the party continues. (the humor with his mother is a nice touch--she knew she was going to get her way, ha). And nobody even realizes what he's done but the servants, not till way afterward. He lets the bridegroom take the credit. [Big Grin]

Nicodemus coming to Jesus by night--but how kind of Jesus, don't you think? I mean, here's this big important Sanhedrin type who is apparently too scared of his peers to show up at a decent hour to talk to Jesus, so he does this hugger mugger routine that both disturbs Jesus' sleep and is in a certain sense a bit of an insult to him. But Jesus doesn't refuse him. He has a nice little theological discussion with him (ha! shades of the seminary [Big Grin] ) and leaves the man going what? but still greatly impressed. Enough to become a follower later on, and bury Jesus in spite of the dangers attached to that.

Then there's the woman at the well. Jesus is again tired (sort of a theme in the Gospels, isn't it?) but he makes time to talk to this halfbreed social outcast female with a bit of a mouth on her (and think how his Jewish male compatriots would take that! horrors). He treats her with as much respect as he would any respectable Jewish matron, and entrusts her with the secret he's spoken openly to no one else: "I am the Messiah." [and Jesus' behavior, remarkable as it is for a man of his times, is apparently so characteristic of him that his disciples already know better than to ask him why he's talking to her. That's just the way Jesus is, shrug.

Here comes a desperate father. To him Jesus gives the one thing that matters most: "Your son will live." Short and sweet.

Now a man who's been sick for 38 years, lying on a pad hoping for a miracle at the pool of Bethesda. Well, he gets one (and apparently him only of the whole crowd, which is odd). Even more odd, because Jesus goes out of his way to find him later on and warn him to mend his ways lest something worse happen to him. Which sounds very much as if his original problem had been a direct result of some sin, something Jesus never implies with anybody else. Why pick such a man as your sole example of healing that day? Love? Compassion, certainly. And it was repaid as usual--the man goes off like a fool and lets Jesus' enemies have a little more rhetorical ammunition to use against him. Sigh. Not that I think Jesus regretted the healing! But if it had been me, I'd have been very cross.

The chapters of argumentation are interesting, though the emphasis on love is more or less in the background--or rather, that love is expressed through the strongest possible warning to people Jesus regards as being in mortal danger. Enough said. But would you want a wimpy Jesus?

We come to Lazarus and his sisters. However you slice it (and I know your views are nontraditional), here you have a man who cares deeply for this family, who attempts to help in time of need, and who is not ashamed to be seen weeping for them. And they naturally reciprocate--Martha cooks and cleans for Jesus and the group, and Mary does that lovely thing with the perfume over his head--which immediately pulls a discordant note from Judas. [Frown] But Jesus defends Mary, and publicly praises her (yes, another humble woman) in spite of the fact that one of his chosen twelve (and a man!) is making pious noises in her disfavor. That took guts.

Now his actions to Judas. First the warning about his attitude which we see in the episode with Mary. Then, though he certainly became aware of Judas' intentions sometime before the Last Supper, he makes no effort to expose him or, er, to neutralize him. (You know he could have had a word with Simon the Zealot if he'd been so minded.) No, Jesus gives Judas time to change his mind. He gives him another very clear warning at the last supper itself, and honors him with the sop. Judging by who was able to talk sotto voce to whom, it appears Jesus even gave Judas the place of honor right next to him. He washed his feet. None of it mattered. But is this not love?

Then we get the final words of Jesus during the supper, and these are the ones I return to again and again when I'm in deep distress and need to hear the sound of love. He comforts them; he promises them they will not be left alone; He promises to return; his very words place them not as his servants but as his friends, his brothers. And having said all that he can say, with time running out, he uses his last minutes to pray for them. To entrust them to the Father, who will continue to guard them as Jesus can no longer do.

This is love. And this is why I seek out John's gospel--no, Jesus as I see him IN John's gospel--again and again and again.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Lamb Chopped - a very moving post and I agree entirely with you. Then John goes off to Patmos, has his community, and alone of the original 12 (we don't know what happened to Matthias) dies a natural death at a ripe old age.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Where are the hoards of loving Christians ("love" appears more in John's gospel than in any other) eager to share their delight in it? Are they not significant by their absence? Or have I frightened them all away? Perhaps they think scepticism is dangerous - something they might catch from someone unsound in the faith?

I'll admit that I'm not much of hoard, but I take great delight in John's gospel - it's pretty much my favorite book of the Bible because it sings to me every time I read it. As for sharing that delight, I'd love to, but posting to do only that would be pretty boring. Your skepticism is by no means dangerous or frightening - you and I just have very different ways of approaching the text and it leaves me with very little that I can contribute.

Reading (and enjoying) without responding is not the same as absence, and I hope you'll continue your efforts to keep the thread going.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

I wish people like you would contribute more - it would make for a far more balanced discussion. I go on far too long and far too way out when I'm given my head!

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

And thanks from me too, LC, for taking so much time and trouble. We may never agree on some issues but it's good that both of us can say what we think and feel freely. I'm not a Quaker - never have been - but I admire their stance, often practised on these boards, that it is important to accept what people say, without hindrance or interruption, however much you disagree, however much it hurts. Though silence in this sense does not indicate agreement, and understanding is not the same as condoning.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

You see, this is just what worries me. AM I causing you pain in some way? And where did the condoning thing come from--that word is usually used when someone is doing harm. My only intent on this thread is to enjoy John's gospel and to share that pleasure with others. If I discover I'm actively causing harm to somebody, it's time for me to reconsider what I'm doing. Give me a clue, here?

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Oh dear no! All I was doing was praising the freedom of "speech" we have on these boards and comparing it with a similarly charitable attitude found at Quaker meetings. You have never hurt me. I share your horror at the thought of hurting others.

I can just about manage fictionalised violence as a means of not living with my head in the sand and helping me to manage threatening situations IRL but deliberate personal attacks on the ship are pretty rare outside of Hell, no?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Not really, I'm afraid. Thus the common hostly admonishments to "take it to Hell."

But I was worrying more about the inadvertent hurt I might be causing you--I don't think either of us has ever deliberately set out to cause pain to the other.

How about this: Since we obviously have some communication gaps going, and that's not likely to change in the near future, if you ever perceive me as having said/done anything personally hurtful to you, say it flat out so I'll know? "LC, that hurt me." Then, if I don't see those words, I'll assume that everything's fine and we're just having rhetorical fun.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC, you have never hurt me. Made me think and made me feel - and nothing wrong with either of those - but not hurt me. Like you, I love John's Gospel - full of thought, full of joy and passion, a book to be read and enjoyed.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Thanks. I love that book.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Good. So back we come to it. At a very appropriate time, with Easter not far off. Jesus' betrayal and arrest:
quote:
After Jesus had spoken these words, he went out with his disciples across the Kidron valley to a place where there was a garden, which he and his disciples entered.
[John 18.1]

Visits to the Holy Land are very popular in Europe at this time of year. At least among Christian communities. It's a lot more expensive for Americans of course, but I expect many make it. American or European or Asian or African, is there anyone on the ship who can set the scene for us? I don't just mean a GPS reference. Has anybody seen the Kidron Valley? In former times we were reliant largely upon out imaginations - and John is very good at keying in to this on an emotional level. But for materialists like me (though I do have some imagination)- what's it like?

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Google is our friend! Here you will find 10 evocative shots of the Kidron Valley - where in Jewish lore the general resurrection of the dead was expected to start...

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Looks very like Southern California, where I grew up. We even had the olive trees!

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, Because Jesus often met there with his disciples.
[John 18.2]

Of whom Judas was one. Just sayin'

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
So Judas brought a detachment of soldiers together with police from the chief priests and the Pharisees, and they came there with lanterns and weapons and torches.
[John 18.3]

The details of Jesus' arrest in John's gospel differs in several respects from that in the synoptics. But all are agreed that Judas led the arresting party to the place where Jesus and the apostles were hiding. Presumably Jesus, although he knew his time had come, would have preferred to be arrested in broad daylight But there were still enough people about who would have remonstrated against that, so a night-time arrest was more convenient for the authorities.

In the synoptics Judas seems merely to have been a guide. But here "Judas brought..." almost sounds as though he were in charge of the arresting party. John's inclusion of the torches and weapons heighten the drama.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I'm curious--why do you think he would have wanted to be arrested in daylight?

It seems to me that his chief goal at this point is to make sure the disciples don't suffer along with him--and a quiet night-time arrest with no riots and plenty of shadows to slip away in seems most likely to produce that result.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

That's an interesting question. I think it might be answered later on in the text. The authorities were scared of a day-time arrest, weren't they - because of the possibility of a pro-Jesus riot. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

As for protecting his followers, that's also ambiguous. The synoptics have Jesus wanting his disciples to stay awake to pray with him, and also giving would-be adherents the uncompromising charge of "anyone who wants to save his life must lose it" and "take up his cross and follow me".

I don't see that as a big problem. Different sayings at different times. Even different sayings sometimes almost in the same breath ("he's asleep/he's dead") And different witnesses, and copyists, God-knows how many different axes to grind, then as now!

[ 08. March 2015, 09:34: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

quote:
That's an interesting question. I think it might be answered later on in the text. The authorities were scared of a day-time arrest, weren't they - because of the possibility of a pro-Jesus riot. I'm sure I read that somewhere.

I'm sure you're right about this--there's a verse somewhere when they determined to wait till after the Passover for just the same reason. Not that they did actually end up waiting, but the logic was sound.

quote:
As for protecting his followers, that's also ambiguous. The synoptics have Jesus wanting his disciples to stay awake to pray with him, and also giving would-be adherents the uncompromising charge of "anyone who wants to save his life must lose it" and "take up his cross and follow me".

I don't see that as a big problem. Different sayings at different times.

Certainly. And referring to different issues. The "take up your cross" bit refers to a lifelong attitude which may or may not lead to actual physical martyrdom at some point. But as for the week of Jesus' passion, Jesus clearly didn't want his disciples to die right then (see: "If it's me you want, let these people go"). There was a mission to continue and a church to start. Who would be there to do that if the key trained leaders had all bitten the dust at the same time?

So yeah, I think Jesus was intent on protecting the disciples at that point in time. All but one of them would go on to be martyred later in life, so the protection wasn't permanent. But very much needed, given the fact that Pentecost was only fifty days away.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
4 Then Jesus, knowing all that was to happen to him, came forward and asked them, "Whom are you looking for?" 5 They answered, Jesus of Nazareth" [Gk Jesus the Nazorean] Jesus replied, "I am he." [Gk "I am"] Judas, who betrayed him, was standing with them.
The footnotes proliferate here - just the NRSV editors being honest here, I think. They're not adding much, just trying to capture the tone, the atmosphere, as well as the baldly-stated words, (which won't be enough for modern Christians to "get" - or which they might be tempted to embellish (perish the thought!) independently!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence, pimple; would you be willing to clarify?

There are two things I find interesting in this passage. One is the repetition of the modifier, "Judas, who betrayed him." The writer wants to be sure we don't forget who did it. The level of enmity towards Judas seems considerable!

But earlier in the sentence, we have Jesus, "knowing all that was going to happen to him." Jesus the Christ, the pre-existent Word, omniscient: John leaves no doubt.

[ 10. March 2015, 01:15: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence, pimple; would you be willing to clarify?

There are two things I find interesting in this passage. One is the repetition of the modifier, "Judas, who betrayed him." The writer wants to be sure we don't forget who did it. The level of enmity towards Judas seems considerable!

But earlier in the sentence, we have Jesus, "knowing all that was going to happen to him." Jesus the Christ, the pre-existent Word, omniscient: John leaves no doubt.

Yes, I was rather coy, wasn't I? What I meant was (from my lofty intellectual perch, you understand!) that whereas Jesus, as quoted by John, simply keeps repeating "I am" - a highly significant phrase without any embellishment (I am the true vine, the way, I am the way, the truth and the life etc) The NRSV says "I am he" then "I
told you I am he" - all quite unnecessary and actually tending to obscure John's rather laboured theological point!

I nearly mentioned your very point about the repeated reference to Judas as the betrayer -then I remembered there was another Jude who wasn't the betrayer, and the original witness might have been keen to make it quite clear who he was talking about.

[ 10. March 2015, 11:58: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

The point of the footnote about "I am" vs the English rendering "I am he" is that "I am" is the Name of God, YHWH, and under certain circumstances could be taken as a claim to deity. Jesus had already gotten into trouble several times for using that phrase in a context which suggested--heck, way more than suggested, he was claiming to be God. Take a look at John 8:58, for instance--it nearly got him killed. Given the odd behavior that is about to ensue in this Gethsemane story, I think it likely that he was in fact proclaiming his own deity here, as well as simply answering "I'm here."

So his answer can be taken two ways--as the straightforward "I'm the one you're looking for," and as "I am YHWH." But in English we don't say simply "I am" when someone asks for us, we add a word as in "I'm here," or "I'm him/her." Since they couldn't preserve the double meaning through simple translation, they made it as English as they could, but left the other information in a footnote for those interested.

[ 10. March 2015, 13:08: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
6 When Jesus said to them, "I am he", they stepped back and fell to the ground. 7 Again he asked them "Whom are you looking for?" And they said, "Jesus of Nazareth". 8 Jesus answered, "I told you that I am he" [Gk "I am"] So if you are looking for me, let these men go." 9 This was to fulfil the word that he had spoken, "I did not lose a single one of those you gave me."
[John 18. 6-9]

Except, of course - as we have been told several times before - Judas, who doesn't count. That's not a sarcastic snipe, by the way, it's a serious objection to John's avowed insight into the mind of Jesus. We have testimony in this very gospel, as well as in the synoptics, I think, that there were followers who fell away. The obvious answer to this from some Christians would be "Ah well, then, the apostates obviously weren't among those God the Father had given to His Son."

Frankly, it's no more convincing than saying "This motorbike is guaranteed never, ever to break down. If it does, it must be the fault of the rider. And it only broke down once."

[ 10. March 2015, 18:20: Message edited by: pimple ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Come on, it's a short quote of a bit he said just a chapter ago, where he went into all sorts of fine persnickety detail about Judas. All this is here, is a reminder tag. If John's readers/hearers are as forgetful as all that, he's in deep trouble.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Of course.
quote:
10 Then Simon Peter, who had a sword, drew it, struck the high priest's slave, and cut off his right ear. The slave's name was Malchus.
This is the sort of fine detail that does make John convincing. We don't know who the Beloved Disciple was (pace those who think they do!) but we have the name of the high priest's slave. (Priest's had slaves? Oh, I guess everybody did).

The stuff about the sword puzzles many people. Why were they armed? Did or did not Jesus authorise it? And why was Peter not arrested on the spot, regardless of the fact that Jesus was the prime target?

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Pretty hard to arrest a man when the primary evidence for his attack has vanished. (And whining "but Jesus HEALED him!" would tend to undermine their other case, which is a prosecution for blasphemy. Since when does God give blasphemers divine gifts of healing?) [Two face]

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The stuff about the sword puzzles many people. Why were they armed? Did or did not Jesus authorise it? And why was Peter not arrested on the spot, regardless of the fact that Jesus was the prime target?

That was discussed on this thread. This post helps clarify the matter.
quote:
The context of the time (based on similar settings today) suggests that the carrying of a personal utility bladed device would have been advantageous when it came to preparing food, particularly for a team on the move. I doubt food came pre-prepared much at the time, more likely fish needed filleting, lambs needed beheading, etc. And in remoter areas the threat from wild animals might also motivate the carrying of something by way of protection.
<snip>
I suspect, then, that Simon “The Blade” Peter had about his person the sort of knife / dirk that a fisherman would carry in case he came upon a severe case of a fish that needed a good fillet. When it came to Jesus' arrest, I imagine this would suit better a hand-to-hand grappling type of activity, where the guard laid hands on Jesus and Peter laid hands on him, one thing led to another... If a full-blown sword had been used I'd have thought a severed ear would have been the least of the guard's worry: skewered skull or sliced shoulder blade would have been on the menu as well.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Pretty hard to arrest a man when the primary evidence for his attack has vanished. (And whining "but Jesus HEALED him!" would tend to undermine their other case, which is a prosecution for blasphemy. Since when does God give blasphemers divine gifts of healing?) [Two face]

Sorry, LC - I haven't the foggiest idea what you're on about here.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

I have a friend who was educated in Ireland. She writes in an almost illegible hand because she still cannot bring herself to use her left hand to write. If she did so at school the nuns would rap her knuckles.

Everybody knew there and then that left-handed people were devils - or inspired by devils.

I feel very strongly about this, because I, too am left-handed.

And so was poor old Peter, if he really did fillet Malchus's right ear. Unless, of course, Malchus was running away from him at the time...

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

You asked why Peter wasn't arrested on the spot. I suggested it was because the possible-arresting-officer looked at the situation, realized it would be damned hard to even charge him without looking like a loon ("but what do you MEAN he cut off Malchus' ear? Malchus still seems to have two of them as far as I can see"), figured Jesus' case was more important, and blew Peter off.

For what it's worth, I'm lefthanded too. Though I don't know why you brought it up here--is there some evidence Peter was lefthanded?

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Think about it [Biased] But don't try it at home!

The arguments about a personal utility device are quite ingenious but the same word for the implement is used a couple of time in Matthew's gospel, once in Matthew 10 (forgotten the verse) where Jesus says he has not come to bring peace but a sword. Doesn't sound quite as effective if you substitute "filleting knife" here - nor in Matthew's version of the arrest, where Jesus stops the violence with the assertion that "he who lives by the sword will die by the sword.

"He who lives by the personal utility device..."

Nah, I don't think so.

But the other explanation given a few posts above is far more sensible. When Jesus said he came to bring not peace, but a sword, he was obviously talking metaphorically. But it would be quite in character for some of the disciples to take him literally, and certainly in character for Peter to think that what Jesus can do, he can do. No, Peter, whatever, or whoever Jesus may be Peter, you certainly aint God!

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

If it's his aim you mean, I don't think you can deduce anything from that unless you know who he was intending to whack, and just where. Could easily have been the guy next to Malchus. Peter's a fisherman, not a swordsman.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword back into its sheath. Am I not to drink the cup that the Father has given me?"
[John 18.11]

Equates to the synoptic "Not my will but Thine be done" - an impossible thing even to imagine in John's Christology, because the will of the Son and the will of the Father are indistinguishable.

The Son still prays to the Father, of course, but not here. I wonder, did John's readership equate fear with cowardice? Worse, might they have confused bravado with courage? More likely, they were just in need of buoying up, and John does seem to do that very well for some people.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

quote:
So the soldiers, their officer, and the Jewish police arrested Jesus and bound him. First they took him to Annas, who was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest that year. Caiaphas was the one who had advised the Jews that it was better to have one person die for the people.

[John 18.12-14]

Reading this and the synoptic accounts, I'm beginning to wonder whether it really was the disciples who fled, or the crowds - the mob, apart from the authorised arresting party. That might be why John says they all fell back. Only Matthew says it was he disciples who ran away. Mark seems to imply it, perhaps - because of the guy in the loin-cloth. But Luke doesn't have anybody running away - unless it's somewhere else and I've missed it.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I wouldn't expect any crowds in the garden late at night after a festival. Normal folks would be at home sleeping it off--or possibly camped ditto.

I took the "they all went back and fell to the ground" to be a response, natural or supernaturally inspired, to Jesus' use of the Divine Name "I am". And the point of having it happen at all would be to make it clear that at this crisis moment Jesus was in command, as ever, of his own destiny. "No one takes my life from me... I lay it down of my own accord." If his mere word has enough power to provoke this kind of response, there can be no doubt that he went willingly to his death. Who could compel him?

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

Yes, I think that's almost certainly John's point.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016