homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Hell: Why does Tori Amos suck so much? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Hell: Why does Tori Amos suck so much?
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Myra, you're old and irrelevant now. Just stop annoying everybody with your inability to pick a singing range or a hair colour. The only people who still listen to you are losers.

[ 02. October 2015, 22:00: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

What's next? Making fun of seafoam green bicycles?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know little of her career, but she's done a lot of good work with RAINN.org.

Just adding a different perspective. Do continue with your rant. [Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RooK's just being a gratuitously piss-mean buzzkill. In other words, rounding off his weekend.

I am sure a certain Someone will be along to explain what I mean by that in a moment.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
What's next? Making fun of seafoam green bicycles?

Why? Are seafoam green bicycles something about which I can taunt you - such that it is probably impossible for you to resist reacting to?

Brought to you by turquoise, the colour seafoam wishes it could be.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Rookie, darling. You're so sweet.

HUGS.

Keep it up and I'll post the lyrics of all 65 song that I heard in the 4 concerts I attended, plus I'll add the improvs and the couple of lines of "Posse Bonus" that she threw in at the last show of the tour.

Not here in Hell, either. I'll send them to you by SMS in the middle of the night.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Orfeo [Overused]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Brought to you by turquoise, the colour seafoam wishes it could be.

Thunder wishes it could be the snow
Wishes it could be as loved as she can be

I heard that one for the first time live, in Sydney! But wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. That was song number 8. I should start at the beginning. Hang on, I'll PM you the first verse of Baker Baker.

[ 24. November 2014, 05:52: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Circus is that way --->

[Disappointed]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She can suck me anytime she wants.....

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Honey, bring it close to my lips. - Professional Widow

--------------------

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Myra, you're old and irrelevant now. Just stop annoying everybody with your inability to pick a singing range or a hair colour. The only people who still listen to you are losers.

So cute, a lost boy scout looking for his camp...

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
So cute, a lost boy scout looking for his camp...

Look at you, acting like you have no fucking clue that this is an inside joke - even after it was explicitly pointed out.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Look at you, acting like you have no fucking clue that this is an inside joke - even after it was explicitly pointed out.

Please note that posting here is the equivalent of drawing a big, fat bull's eye on your butt.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Please note that posting here is the equivalent of drawing a big, fat bull's eye on your butt.
Is it too much to ask for the Hellions to able to hit that target, just once in a while?

Better luck next time, Ingo.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tori Amos released an album after Little Earthquakes?

Who knew.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm blissfully unaware of how much Tori Amos sucks.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, happily, am quite unaware about who Tori Amos is and why or what she sucks.

Leave me my innocence.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
Tori Amos released an album after Little Earthquakes?

Who knew.

I always suspected you lived in the past. Now we can date it precisely.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew somebody in the late 90's who thought Tori Amos was the best thing since sliced bread. Her devotion bordered on a scary obsession.

But she was a poet (and the type of rich white girl who was always shooting her mouth off because she was so oppressed).

One night when we were hanging out she pissed off the locals to the extent that they took a bottle to the head of one of the guys we were hanging with.

It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement from my perspective.

--------------------
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Don't expect Ingo to repent, Geraldine wouldn't.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I'm blissfully unaware of how much Tori Amos sucks.

What's so amazing about really deep thoughts?

[ 25. November 2014, 02:28: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tori Amos sucks, yes. But not nearly as much as over-powered, fast-but-gutless cars and the compensating egomaniacs who drive them.

No matter how cute their butts might be.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
It wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement from my perspective.

This makes about as much sense as judging Jesus by his followers. Assuming that your crazy story about a guy being assaulted because someone else was annoying is actually true. Or that her being annoying has anything to do with her fandom.

Also, if it was the late '90s, I'm quite certain you DID know that there were albums after Little Earthquakes. But hey, it's not as if I didn't know you were just trying to be a pain in the arse. You are, but you don't achieve it with much flair.

[ 25. November 2014, 09:00: Message edited by: orfeo ]

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Don't expect Ingo to repent, Geraldine wouldn't.
Ooh. Very current. I like you.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

It was kind of you to shoot wide.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Don't worry - just because I made RooKie the butt of my joke doesn't mean that I'm a pretender. You remain the undisputed royal pain in the ass, so say all.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the power of orange knickers.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
Also, if it was the late '90s, I'm quite certain you DID know that there were albums after Little Earthquakes.

Where do you live that you don't know people who are obsessed with bands that released one album way back when and all died twenty years ago?

Tori Amos fans are weird.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
Also, if it was the late '90s, I'm quite certain you DID know that there were albums after Little Earthquakes.

Where do you live that you don't know people who are obsessed with bands that released one album way back when and all died twenty years ago?

At least they have logic skills. At least they can figure out things like "if I knew a Tori Amos fan in the late '90s, that Tori Amos fan would have told me about the recent albums that Tori had released - something that a fan of a band that died twenty years ago couldn't do".

At least they can figure out that a hypothetical world where Tori Amos only released 1 album is completely irrelevant to the actual world we were all living in in the late 1990s. Well, the one most of us were living in anyway. You frequently give the impression that you live on a parallel planet and have somehow managed to hook your computer up to our internet by a cross-dimensional cable.

Either that or you're permanently high on datura.

[ 26. November 2014, 10:13: Message edited by: orfeo ]

orfeo

# 13878

By the way, for anyone that gives a damn, part of the reason that I'm more in love with this woman than ever is that she played live versions of 4 of my favourite songs at my personal request. Which is pretty fucking mindblowing. A person who's sold millions of records asked me wanted to hear, told me what a good combination of 2 songs I suggested, and integrated it into her show.

And, as I mentioned before, 65 different songs across 4 concerts. Every show in Australia had at least a couple of songs that were unique to that show.

So I don't really give a damn whether any of you like the music or not. I know what I need to know, that a stellar musician is committed to creating a different experience with every album and with every show. I know that the experience thrills me and leaves me on cloud nine.

Come on the ride or don't. I don't really care. You're not going to burst MY bubble. Hell, you're complete amateurs at trying. I've spent years on the internet with Tori Amos fans trying to tell me why this song or that album isn't as good as old Tori from the first few albums. I didn't listen to them, and they actually had some knowledge of the subject. So why on earth would I pay attention to the half-arsed put-downs being generated here?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Don't worry - just because I made RooKie the butt of my joke doesn't mean that I'm a pretender. You remain the undisputed royal pain in the ass, so say all.
I have a hard time believing you speak for "all" given your last few hell calls.

(Oh, and, really lame segue. You couldn't have said "Point for the mouse" better, even if you had just written, "Point for the mouse.")

[ 26. November 2014, 13:51: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This may be, but I have met some interesting ones at her gigs in Ottawa and Montreal, and occasionally wearing a Tori Amos hoodie, I have gained approving looks from baristas everywhere.

While I cannot approve of her theological expression, she might have been deprived of Tallis motets and pilgrimage opportunities as a youth, so perhaps cannot be entirely blamed.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
You couldn't have said "Point for the mouse" better, even if you had just written, "Point for the mouse."

I have so many good points, I hardly notice when one of them is lost on you.

--------------------

saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

Note to self:

Do research into Tori Amos and why people might hate her or her music since she disappeared off your radar in the nineties.

Next time Orfeo makes you cry/ tries to shut you up by interrupting a conversation you're having with someone else, completely misunderstanding everything you're trying to say, and then calling your misrepresented views stupid, insult Tori Amos.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Your views usually don't need any misrepresentation to look stupid, sweetie.

--------------------

Chill
Shipmate
# 13643

- Posted      Profile for Chill   Email Chill   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The music industry has given us Justin Beiber,
One Direction and Britney-fucking-Spears, to name but a few corporate sponsored fashion models masquerading as artists. The problem is Tori Amos? Fuck off pal. Railing against Tori Amos in such circumstances is like kicking the butterfly in a garden of vipers. It is the equivalent of me as a heterosexual man spiting out the only banana in a barrel full of cocks.

Happy listening....

Posts: 343 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
You couldn't have said "Point for the mouse" better, even if you had just written, "Point for the mouse."

Are they have points or are they, as on a hedgehog, merely pricks?

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Typical. Bingo supplies a feed and I fuck up the post [Frown] SNAFU lives.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Oh, if only you could go back and edit your post, any time you liked... [Razz]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
over-powered, fast-but-gutless

Wait, what? There's clearly some baggage you're labelled as "gutless" that does not conform with the generally-accepted definition. Keep in mind that the Porsche was an epic snow car, and utterly reliable, in addition to being gorgeous and stupidly enjoyable to drive.

And I suppose that, in context, I should point out that the beloved Porsche got sold to fund some uninsured¹ dental surgeries for the wife. I'm hoping to start saving up for a Tesla P85D after the kids are both out of daycare.

¹Fuck you, 'Merkin medical "system".

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

[Eek!]

Now that's love.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
By the way, for anyone that gives a damn, part of the reason that I'm more in love with this woman than ever is that she played live versions of 4 of my favourite songs at my personal request. Which is pretty fucking mindblowing. A person who's sold millions of records asked me wanted to hear, told me what a good combination of 2 songs I suggested, and integrated it into her show.

This, on the other hand, makes me want to go on a jealousy-based rampage. If I had a conversation like that with Joe Jackson, I would never shut up about it ever.

[ 28. November 2014, 16:57: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
quote:

This, on the other hand, makes me want to go on a jealousy-based rampage. If I had a conversation like that with Joe Jackson, I would never shut up about it ever.
True dat.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

It's not that what you say is lost on me, but that I despise it.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Except your thing on the philosophy thread. That was spot-on.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I feel it is my duty to inform you that I am currently listening to an audience recording of Tori live with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, and it is bloody good.

Almost like being there. Oh wait. I was.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Proof of the pudding is in the eating, or in this case the sucking.

I value your opinion Orfeo given that it's based on an eyewitness account, I therefore sit on the side of the jury that says tori-whoever-she-is doesn't suck.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

Yeah, but it could just be confirmation bias.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It reminds me of CS Lewis' An Experiment in Criticism. To wildly paraphrase the main point of the book: if someone really loves a book, reads it over and over, gushes about it -- they're probably seeing something you don't, and the book is not a "bad" book, and you should STFU about it and not slam it.

So for musical taste.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016