homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: UK Election 2015 (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: UK Election 2015
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Suppose the Tories are the largest party after the election, but well short of an outright majority (my own prediction). Would any party want to form a coalition with them? The Libs were well and truly shafted from day one, so I can't see anybody willing to take the risk of going in with them.

No. And it's perfectly possible for an "everyone except the DUP, UKIP and the Tories" arrangement to enable Miliband to form an administration. He doesn't need a majority, nor even to lead the largest party to do this; he just needs to be able to survive a vote of no confidence and get the Queen's Speech through, AIUI.

Personally, I think this is the most likely outcome next week, although I suspect Miliband will in fact have a slightly higher number of seats than Cameron.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Suppose the Tories are the largest party after the election, but well short of an outright majority (my own prediction). Would any party want to form a coalition with them? The Libs were well and truly shafted from day one, so I can't see anybody willing to take the risk of going in with them.

I suppose what worries me is it's possible next week for the Tories to have a majority of the seats in England, and the plurality of the overall vote... How long's a government going to last that *doesn't* include them, in the teeth of the press at its finest?

And before someone says, "well the SNP could have every seat in Scotland and be ignored, why's it different?" - because the SNP could have every seat in Scotland on 4% of the overall UK vote... Try ignoring what the majority of England might think they've voted for and watch the fireworks - that way chaos lies.

Next week is going to be interesting...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, I'm still waiting for the data tables behind today's Ipsos-Mori poll that puts the Tories 5 points ahead on a 7 points swing from labour. By my reckoning I think that's the Conservatives ahead by 1-6 points in virtually every poll this week; does anyone really know what's going to happen next week, or is everyone (and I include the pollsters in this) just guessing?

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

No. And it's perfectly possible for an "everyone except the DUP, UKIP and the Tories" arrangement to enable Miliband to form an administration. He doesn't need a majority, nor even to lead the largest party to do this; he just needs to be able to survive a vote of no confidence and get the Queen's Speech through, AIUI.

Personally, I think this is the most likely outcome next week, although I suspect Miliband will in fact have a slightly higher number of seats than Cameron.

Miliband may not be as 'vulnerable' as some are painting him should that be the case: all he has to do is say to whatever assortment of the SNP, LibDems, Plaid and the Greens that he needs to have a majority, "either back me up or I'll resign and hand the country over to the Tory-UKIP-DUP axis of evil on the other side of the House - do you really want that?"

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
quote:

I suppose what worries me is it's possible next week for the Tories to have a majority of the seats in England, and the plurality of the overall vote... How long's a government going to last that *doesn't* include them, in the teeth of the press at its finest?

And before someone says, "well the SNP could have every seat in Scotland and be ignored, why's it different?" - because the SNP could have every seat in Scotland on 4% of the overall UK vote... Try ignoring what the majority of England might think they've voted for and watch the fireworks - that way chaos lies.

I would think that Labour would cite Churchill in 51, who had fewer votes, but more MPs, or of course, 1924.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

Miliband may not be as 'vulnerable' as some are painting him should that be the case: all he has to do is say to whatever assortment of the SNP, LibDems, Plaid and the Greens that he needs to have a majority, "either back me up or I'll resign and hand the country over to the Tory-UKIP-DUP axis of evil on the other side of the House - do you really want that?"
He doesn't need the LibDems. On current forecasts he can (just) do it with Greens and Nats.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, I'm still waiting for the data tables behind today's Ipsos-Mori poll that puts the Tories 5 points ahead on a 7 points swing from labour. By my reckoning I think that's the Conservatives ahead by 1-6 points in virtually every poll this week; does anyone really know what's going to happen next week, or is everyone (and I include the pollsters in this) just guessing?

Com Res had a 3 point swing from Labour to Conservative to 35-35. But yeah, I think anything from a Labour majority to a Conservative majority is possible, including all points in between. Lord Ashcroft likes to say that polls are snapshots, not predictions, and I think that is quite right. To coin a cliche, there is but one poll that matters a damn and it's the one on May 7th.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
quote:

I would think that Labour would cite Churchill in 51, who had fewer votes, but more MPs, or of course, 1924.
True, although I'm sure we can imagine how a 60 or 90 year old precedent will go down with the press in full cry.

One prediction I am relatively confident about making, sadly, is that English nationalism is going to be the story of the next five years.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is also the myth that people don't like second elections, and will punish whoever causes one. Maybe, it's correct, quite a gamble though to bring down a minority govt.

But Cameron may get his late swing, or is getting it now.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
There is also the myth that people don't like second elections, and will punish whoever causes one. Maybe, it's correct, quite a gamble though to bring down a minority govt.

But Cameron may get his late swing, or is getting it now.

On your minority govt point, true, and of course Cameron gets first go at that so it would be Miliband that had to bring him down. It's quite a gamble to go on as well though, so Dave could duck trying to form one and just throw the towel in.

Personally, my hunch is that Cameron is indeed getting his late swing. But the polls are so febrile that if I was being totally honest I'd have to say I'm suspicious of anyone, including me(!), that claims to have a clue!

--------------------

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

This election may well look a lot like February 1974, with no two parties able to command a majority, with the Conservatives having slightly more votes than Labour but slightly fewer seats.

The difference between now and 1974 is that whoever forms a minority government does not have the opportunity to go to the public again to shore up his position, as Wilson did in October 1974. In order to generate an early election, a minority government first has to lose a confidence vote, which is a very different dynamic from the small positive swing that Wilson achieved on the back of "we're making progress."

Which I think means that we'll either have 5 years of a minority government, or a no confidence vote the first time something really bad happens, followed by a new election and a change of government.

Which rather makes the question of whether either Cameron or Miliband should want to attempt to form a minority government as rather a two-edged sword.

If (Labour + SNP) have a working majority, there's no choice - Cameron cannot form a successful minority government, and Miliband will have to. Whether that is to his long-term advantage will depend on where the SNP push him, and how that goes down in the English swing seats.

If (Conservative + Lib Dem) keep a majority, Cameron will form a government - either a continuation of the coalition or a minority government, depending on exactly how the numbers look.

Cameron needs his swing, though - in the most likely outcome now (which is that a 4 or 5 party combo is needed for a majority), there would be too many people lining up as anti-Tory for a minority Cameron government to be stable.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Personally, my hunch is that Cameron is indeed getting his late swing. But the polls are so febrile that if I was being totally honest I'd have to say I'm suspicious of anyone, including me(!), that claims to have a clue!

Well, the press has been predicting a swing for weeks without any such things, and turning from indignation to panic as any such thing fails to materialise. Meanwhile the bookies - who presumably have a bit more a stake in such things have been predicting a Labour led government for weeks.

Incidentally, if you really believe that a Labour+SNP government is the recipe for chaos, you really haven't considered what will happen to any Conservative led coalition (or the Conservative party itself) ahead of their promised EU referendum.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

One of the really odd aspects of a close result is that the leaders may end up with no choice. Thus, for example, if Lab + SNP = 330 MPs, Miliband can't really say, oh no, it's frightfully kind of you, but I'd rather the other chap did it. And the Tories would have no majority.

So, it would be surreal if the fascist press, sorry, the Conservative supporting organs of popular reportage, were screaming illegitimate, since nobody could act differently.

I wonder if the Tories are regretting the 5 year fixed term - how hilarious if it gave the dweeb 5 years as PM.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One commentator did half seriously suggest that the Tories put in a last minute attempt to repeal the FTPA and hope that enough members of the other parties voted for it. That's looking more and more like a missed opportunity to my mind.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would like to think this, but surely any Lib Dem MPs who remain in Westminster will be those whose constituents didn't object to them propping up the Tories.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

You can imagine Tory faces if Miliband got 5 years in power because of their law. And if he was popular, another 5! It does seem unlikely, after all, Tories are born to rule, aren't they, <doffs cap>.

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
The difference between now and 1974 is that whoever forms a minority government does not have the opportunity to go to the public again to shore up his position, as Wilson did in October 1974. In order to generate an early election, a minority government first has to lose a confidence vote, which is a very different dynamic from the small positive swing that Wilson achieved on the back of "we're making progress."
[/QB]

I wonder if hypothetically one party gets in and sufficient progress is made (or perhaps if the opposition does something really stupid):

could you have a situation where the government party desperately tries to vote itself incompetent and the others are desperate to shore up the governments support.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
how hilarious if it gave the dweeb 5 years as PM.

Hilarious for you maybe, but not for the country.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You can imagine Tory faces if Miliband got 5 years in power because of their law. And if he was popular, another 5!

The first is possible. The second I simply cannot envisage. Ten years of that twat and the country will have gone so far to the dogs that it'll be a case of "last one out turn off the lights".

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
could you have a situation where the government party desperately tries to vote itself incompetent and the others are desperate to shore up the governments support.

It's hard to imagine any party voting against itself, and then turning around and campaigning on their great record. I'm not sure that that would be well received by the electorate.

So we are left with the party of minority government requiring:
  • To have some early successes, or have the other guys implode
  • For the public mood to swing strongly in favour of the government
  • For the government to somehow maneuver the opposition parties in to a no confidence vote
  • ...even though the opposition would know that they were pretty unpopular withe the public
  • And for pretty much every one of the opposition MPs to show up and vote the government down.

It's an amusing idea, but seems unlikely.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
You can imagine Tory faces if Miliband got 5 years in power because of their law. And if he was popular, another 5!

The first is possible. The second I simply cannot envisage. Ten years of that twat and the country will have gone so far to the dogs that it'll be a case of "last one out turn off the lights".
As opposed to 15 years of Cameron (et. seq) which would probably involve destroying the country and renegotiating our relationship with every other country in Europe on unfavourable terms. British patriotism may be a minority position but for we few, we happy few, it's Ed or nothing.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
I think one advantage of open primaries is that it allows the natural supporters of a party have their say on the candidate, rather than limiting that say to the relatively small number of paid-up members of the party.

If that decision is limited just to the paid-up members that's a form of dis-enfranchisement for those for who even a $10 annual membership fee would be a considerable investment, not to mention the time commitment that membership or active support of a party would often entail.

On the other hand, an open primary could result in the selection of a candidate that those who will actually be actively campaigning for may not have prefered.

Oh boy, where to start.

First, I have never seen a membership fee be a barrier to party membership. My own party will knock the fee down to $5 for "unwaged" (polite way of saying unemployed and broke). For an entire year.

Second, membership in a political party in Canada (and in every other Westminster system in the Commonwealth) entails no time commitments, no requirement to volunteer and no requirement to contribute further monetarily. I will ensure you receive copious fundraising appeals though!

The rule of 90% applies to riding politics as it does to everything else in life. 10% of the membership are committed activists and the rest sort of hang on. In my experience 40% of the membership will make additional monetary contributions to the party and riding, the average annual yield is usually $200 per donor.

A party exists to put forth a platform of policies and get elected. It is not a vehicle to capture as an institution of access in an of itself as a blank slate. If you want a different idea put forth, found your own party, it's been done often enough. To that end, asking for a very modest membership fee to "put your money where your mouth is" is not unreasonable. The same applies to union certifications in some jurisdictions in Canada.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:

First, I have never seen a membership fee be a barrier to party membership. My own party will knock the fee down to $5 for "unwaged" (polite way of saying unemployed and broke). For an entire year.

Second, membership in a political party in Canada (and in every other Westminster system in the Commonwealth) entails no time commitments, no requirement to volunteer and no requirement to contribute further monetarily. I will ensure you receive copious fundraising appeals though!

I still contend that for someone working full time on minimum wage, still having to put in every hour of overtime they can and often taking on a second minimum wage job as well just to scrape by, $5 would seem like a lot of money. "Hmmm, what shall I do? Spend this $5 on groceries for a few days, or pay for membership of a political party?", which answer do you think most people will give?

And, even if someone considered that they could just about afford the $5, how are they going to feel about receiving regular requests to volunteer some time or donate further money? It would certainly be enough for me to seriously consider whether that $5 was well spent, and come next year not renew my membership.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So now Miliband has said he won't cut a deal with the SNP, where does that leave us with a hung Parliament in a week's time?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This says more about you than it does about Ed Milliband. EM is significantly brighter than George & Dave (he has taught at Harvard, not just studied there), he is the first UK politician for 30 years to have the guts to tell Rupert Murdoch where to stick it, and he prevented David "Dave" Cameron form involving us in another ruinous foreign war in Syria. These to my mind makes him better qualified to lead the country than the present shower of entitled posh boys.

EM is popularly supposed to have an image problem. This IME is only the case among those who are silly enough to believe what they read in the papers. He does not look remotely weird, he looks very much like many people I know and work with. He has an unusual voice, this may be at least partly due to his highly peripatetic upbringing (a good preparation for political leadership in globalised world IMO). He also may have been subject to misguided efforts to make him sound more authoritative.

--------------------
Jez we did hand the next election to the Tories on a plate!

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So now Miliband has said he won't cut a deal with the SNP, where does that leave us with a hung Parliament in a week's time?

An opportunity to put an end to the bizarre myth that a minority government can't run a country?

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm worried about that too - I would reckon UKIP & the DUP would go in with the Tories. I'm in no position to comment on the DUP, having no idea about their policies (there has been no coverage at all of NI's parties that I've seen) - but UKIP are bonkers Tory-Xtra, aren't they/

A Tory/UKIP coalition would be the worst possible outcome, in my view (but then I did feel the need to apologise to the Parcel Force man this morning when we had a brief political discussion when I went down to pick up a package from him, for the presence of the Daily Torygraph on our doormat [Hot and Hormonal] - it's not mine! I don't read the right-wing print press! )

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I suspect that the Tories would not want to form a coalition with UKIP. First because it would mean accepting some of the people who have jumped from the Tories, which they will do through gritted teeth.

But, more importantly, the future of the party has to be to appeal to the middle ground. The Tories can't afford to gain a bit of support on the right by getting into bed with UKIP and losing a vast chunk from the left who want nothing to do with the extremists of UKIP. A coalition with UKIP leaves the Tories with too much to lose, and (hopefully) support of no more than a half dozen MPs for this Parliament.

--------------------

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As the Tories have spent the last month (disgracefully) portraying the SNP as the barbarians at the gate, then going into coalition with the SNP would somewhat undermine their credibility. However I think Cameron would do almost anything that would keep him in Downing Street.

--------------------

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:
quote:
quote:

This says more about you than it does about Ed Milliband. EM is significantly brighter than George & Dave (he has taught at Harvard, not just studied there), he is the first UK politician for 30 years to have the guts to tell Rupert Murdoch where to stick it, and he prevented David "Dave" Cameron form involving us in another ruinous foreign war in Syria. These to my mind makes him better qualified to lead the country than the present shower of entitled posh boys.

EM is popularly supposed to have an image problem. This IME is only the case among those who are silly enough to believe what they read in the papers. He does not look remotely weird, he looks very much like many people I know and work with. He has an unusual voice, this may be at least partly due to his highly peripatetic upbringing (a good preparation for political leadership in globalised world IMO). He also may have been subject to misguided efforts to make him sound more authoritative.

I'm not sure we can draw inferences about Miliband and Cameron's relative intelligence from the fact that Miliband has taught at Harvard. Has Cameron ever tried to teach at Harvard?

However, they did both do the same degree at Oxford, where, IIRC, Miliband scraped a 2.1 and Cameron got a first.

I wait with bated breath to see where a Miliband govt takes us with regard to the Murdoch press. He stood up to them, although, again if you believe the rumours, that was only *after* he'd tried unsuccessfully to ingratiate himself with Murdoch. What is clear though is that the SNP are completely in bed with Murdoch (see this week's Private Eye, no link online, and the endorsement of the SNP yesterday by the Scottish Sun), so in a world where he needs the SNP's votes on everything is he going to be able to do anything about Murdoch in reality?

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:

It doesn't make any difference. If Cameron doesn't have a majority, Miliband is in. I don't think SNP dare vote against him now, and let the Tories in. Also, he's not saying something new.

--------------------

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm not sure we can draw inferences about Miliband and Cameron's relative intelligence from the fact that Miliband has taught at Harvard. Has Cameron ever tried to teach at Harvard?

However, they did both do the same degree at Oxford, where, IIRC, Miliband scraped a 2.1 and Cameron got a first.

I wait with bated breath to see where a Miliband govt takes us with regard to the Murdoch press. He stood up to them, although, again if you believe the rumours, that was only *after* he'd tried unsuccessfully to ingratiate himself with Murdoch. What is clear though is that the SNP are completely in bed with Murdoch (see this week's Private Eye, no link online, and the endorsement of the SNP yesterday by the Scottish Sun), so in a world where he needs the SNP's votes on everything is he going to be able to do anything about Murdoch in reality?

You are quite right to take issue with my rather sketchy argument, I was reacting hastily to a revolting piece of invective. however I do believe that Cameron has unthinkingly ridden the escalator of privilege; his abilities were polished up to their maximum potential at Eton and he hasn't moved on from that milieu. Milliband also had a relatively privileged upbringing, of course, but he strikes me as someone who has seen more of the world and thought more about what he has seen.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are quite right to take issue with my rather sketchy argument, I was reacting hastily to a revolting piece of invective. however I do believe that Cameron has unthinkingly ridden the escalator of privilege; his abilities were polished up to their maximum potential at Eton and he hasn't moved on from that milieu. Milliband also had a relatively privileged upbringing, of course, but he strikes me as someone who has seen more of the world and thought more about what he has seen.
I'm not wildly overjoyed about the idea of having to vote for either of them to be honest.

At the same time, I always find it fascinating how two people can draw diametrically opposed views!

For me, Miliband had a very atypical upbringing (in many ways as privileged as Cameron, albeit in a different way, had a spell in academe, but is essentially a career wonk who has benefited from his family connections and background all the way up.

The same can be said for Cameron, almost word for word, with the exception that he has done a spell in the private sector (alright it was pr, but the hours are long and you survive on your ability) and had more personal contact with the inner workings of the NHS than almost any PM since it was founded.

Those latter two points for me put Cameron ahead in the "seeing more of the world" stakes. I'm just not sure that it matters very much.

One's a privileged stockbroker belt upper middle class Tory, the other's basically Hampstead Labour royalty. How far, genuinely, can either of them really relate to anyone outside their own differently gilded spheres? My personal view is that Cameron just about shades it in sincerity, and ability, but it's a fairly unhappy choice.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think Miliband's game is that he's angling for a second election this year. If so it's a risky gamble.

I think he's hoping that the Tories, unable to form a coalition, will lead a minority government, unable to pass a Queen's speech. In spite of the fixed term parliament rule, there is scope for a vote of no confidence (with an 'opposition coalition' of Labour, SNP, Plaid Cymru & possibly Lib Dems).

At the second bite then, he can claim that those who voted for the SNP allowed David Cameron back in, albeit briefly. He'll then aim to bring back the former Labour supporters so he can get a majority in the autumn; something he knows is unlikely next week.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not really studied the form at this election but there's probably no doubt EM is a credible guy. I am though reminded of the short-lived Labour leader Michael Foot, a truly principled and seemingly good chap. The Press though took a dislike to him from the start, and when he chose to not to brush-up for the Cenotaph's annual pageant he was cruelly made the laughing stock.

As an aside, Newsnight BBC2 last night did a good item on what's happened to the Election campaigning of old. With its raw passion, hecklers and so on. It's made me realise just how sanitised and uninteresting today's campaigning has become.

Reading some of the above it looks like this election is merely a war of alliances and an excruciatingly boring one at that. Mind you what is they say ? 'A week is a long time in politics

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... One's a privileged stockbroker belt upper middle class Tory, the other's basically Hampstead Labour royalty. How far, genuinely, can either of them really relate to anyone outside their own differently gilded spheres? ...

I think that's a very fair analysis.

'People like us' and nepotism etc is just as much a characteristic of the gilded Labour staircase as the Conservative one, except that more people on the Labour one have fooled themselves into thinking it can't apply to them because they are on the left.

I have to admit that I do remain uneasy about fratricide. Admittedly it's metaphorical fratricide and not the actual criminal sort, but I'm not the only person who hasn't forgotten.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

I have to admit that I do remain uneasy about fratricide. Admittedly it's metaphorical fratricide and not the actual criminal sort, but I'm not the only person who hasn't forgotten. [/QB]

I don't think it' very fair to hold against EM the fact that he won a free and fair democratic election in which his brother was another candidate.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

I'm sure some people on here won't give it house room because it's Murdoch press, and I can't link to it because there's a paywall, but if anyone happens to see the Times comment pages today there's a fascinating (and for my money accurate) article by ex Labour speech writer Philip Collins on legitimacy vs consitutional right. Although it's slanted in saying next week could just about be the most poisoned chalice Labour could ever win, there are fairly depressing conclusions to be drawn about both main parties.

The choice seems to be the Tories tearing themselves apart in power over the referendum, or Labour being destroyed for a variety of reasons he goes into in depth, in power over the same period.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
... I am though reminded of the short-lived Labour leader Michael Foot, a truly principled and seemingly good chap. ...

How old are you?

He may have been delightful as a person, but as a party leader, as a person to inspire those who weren't Labour voters to vote Labour, and as potential PM material, he was hopeless.

Never, never, forget that in the 1983 election, his party may have held onto 269 seats, but that was on just over 27% of the vote. That is to say, he and his party hardly managed to persuade a quarter of those that voted to vote for them.

He's not by any means, the only duff party leader who never became PM, but as duff ones go, he was pretty duff.

Nor were his principles quite as pristine as they're made out to be. The prejudices of his lifelong political allegiances either blinded him or wilfully closed his eyes to levels of bullying by union magnates of the workforces they claimed to represent that objectively nobody should have been prepared to stomach.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
I don't think it' very fair to hold against EM the fact that he won a free and fair democratic election in which his brother was another candidate.

You are entitled to think that. I could not possibly comment.

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
quote:

I have to admit that I do remain uneasy about fratricide. Admittedly it's metaphorical fratricide and not the actual criminal sort, but I'm not the only person who hasn't forgotten.

I don't think it' very fair to hold against EM the fact that he won a free and fair democratic election in which his brother was another candidate. [/QB]
No it wouldn't be, but where the charge does stick rather more damningly is the allegation in the Miliband biography that the stab in the back came rather earlier on, when he apparently counselled David in the name of party loyalty not to oust Brown because the time wasn't right, but all the time because he was calculating that he wasn't ready to mount his own challenge, which he kept very quiet about. John Cruddas' advice to David was to belt him one when it all came out, although the language he allegedly used was rather more colourful...

The biog was written by a couple of New Statesmen staffers, so shouldn't really otherwise be regarded as hostile.

--------------------

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
... I am though reminded of the short-lived Labour leader Michael Foot, a truly principled and seemingly good chap. ...

How old are you?

He may have been delightful as a person, but as a party leader, as a person to inspire those who weren't Labour voters to vote Labour, and as potential PM material, he was hopeless.

Never, never, forget that in the 1983 election, his party may have held onto 269 seats, but that was on just over 27% of the vote. That is to say, he and his party hardly managed to persuade a quarter of those that voted to vote for them.

He's not by any means, the only duff party leader who never became PM, but as duff ones go, he was pretty duff.

Nor were his principles quite as pristine as they're made out to be. The prejudices of his lifelong political allegiances either blinded him or wilfully closed his eyes to levels of bullying by union magnates of the workforces they claimed to represent that objectively nobody should have been prepared to stomach.

He also had a rather naïve belief that the Labour Party had no enemies to its left, which very nearly destroyed it.

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

209 seats for Labour in '83, IIRC.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
209 seats for Labour in '83, IIRC.

Sorry. You're right. Thank you for the correction. That was a typo rather than a full blown mistake.

[ 01. May 2015, 11:58: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
posted by touchstone
quote:
[Killing me]

Thanks for that - I needed cheering up!

Which bit about the leadership election in 2010 escaped your notice:
  • that Ed Miliband didn't win a majority among either MPs or MEPs
  • that he came only third among constituency parties
  • that his union backers broke the party's own rules about sending out a voting recommendation with ballot papers
  • that party rules were broken so the same union backers - GMB and UNITE - had people on the panel tasked with looking at the breach
  • that there was good evidence of phantom voters among the union votes - that is, people 'voting' who weren't members

And all that before you get to the "gentleman's agreement" he had with the brother he stabbed in the back.

You can choose to believe that the relationship between Ed and David is on the mend - I can tell you that it took powerful arm-twisting to get David to go to Ed's wedding and he and Louise didn't go to the party afterwards.

And anyone who thinks that by voting for Ed they'll persuade David back into UK politics in some role can think again: the bitterness is still there, still very raw and particularly between the two wives.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

quote:
quote:
quote:

No it wouldn't be, but where the charge does stick rather more damningly is the allegation in the Miliband biography that the stab in the back came rather earlier on, when he apparently counselled David in the name of party loyalty not to oust Brown because the time wasn't right, but all the time because he was calculating that he wasn't ready to mount his own challenge, which he kept very quiet about. John Cruddas' advice to David was to belt him one when it all came out, although the language he allegedly used was rather more colourful...

The biog was written by a couple of New Statesmen staffers, so shouldn't really otherwise be regarded as hostile. [/QB]

That said, back in 2009, defenestrating the Prime Minister or, worse, attempting to defenestrate the PM and cocking it up would have made Labour look even more hapless - which, if you recall that era, was pretty fucking hapless indeed. That isn't just my view. It was the view, at the time, of the Eldritch Lord of Hap, himself, Peter, Baron Mandelson of Hartlepool and Foy whom, if you recall, went into full Colour Out Of Space mode to prevent such an eventuality coming to pass. It would be naive to assume that one becomes a Cabinet Minister and Leader of the Opposition without considering, among other factors, "what do I get out of this?" when considering such matters. But there were solid reasons at the time to be opposed to such a course of action. And, anyway, it's bit bloody rich for the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs to publicly make it clear that he is planning to knife his boss and then bottle it, only to find that he has lost subsequent leadership election to his little brother. As Jamie MacDonald memorably put it in 'The Thick Of It': "This is politics. Not fucking Eastenders".

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

Originally posted by l'Organist:

quote:
And anyone who thinks that by voting for Ed they'll persuade David back into UK politics in some role can think again: the bitterness is still there, still very raw and particularly between the two wives.
Oh, good point! I totally base what small leverage I have in the affairs of the realm on considerations as to whether or not the wives of two politicians see eye-to-eye. Personally, I withdrew my support from the Tories in 1996 when I heard that UTTER BITCH Mrs Caroline Waldegrave had inadvertently spilt Pimms over the dress of Lady Mackay of Clashfern and then FAILED TO APOLOGISE. The subsequent defeat for the Conservative Party and the loss of William Waldegrave's Parliamentary seat was apt retribution for her total disrespect for Lady Mackay and, indeed, Laura Ashley.

--------------------

Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
posted by touchstone
quote:
[Killing me]

Thanks for that - I needed cheering up!

Which bit about the leadership election in 2010 escaped your notice:
  • that Ed Miliband didn't win a majority among either MPs or MEPs
  • that he came only third among constituency parties
  • that his union backers broke the party's own rules about sending out a voting recommendation with ballot papers
  • that party rules were broken so the same union backers - GMB and UNITE - had people on the panel tasked with looking at the breach
  • that there was good evidence of phantom voters among the union votes - that is, people 'voting' who weren't members

And all that before you get to the "gentleman's agreement" he had with the brother he stabbed in the back.

You can choose to believe that the relationship between Ed and David is on the mend - I can tell you that it took powerful arm-twisting to get David to go to Ed's wedding and he and Louise didn't go to the party afterwards.

I do know a bit about that election, having taken part in it. (Didn't vote for either Milliband as it happens). There was the usual predictable media shit-stirring which tends to follow anything the labour party ever does.

I don't remember seeing any promotional material from my own union, if I did it didn't affect my vote. Anyone who thinks union members automatically do what the leadership tells them doesn't know trade unionists - we are a bolshy lot!

All this "poor little David his brother tricked him" stuff really is a bit wearing. If he made a major decision of national significance based on what his little brother said to him, then he's clearly not PM material.

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Callan We all love a good laugh - better given that Mackay of Clashfern is unmarried.

Touchstone Not to say many of us aren't capable of voting independently but there are plenty of people who, if unable to distinguish between two candidates, will vote for the one whose name they see closest to the time they make their mark.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
Originally posted by l'Organist:

quote:
Oh, good point! I totally base what small leverage I have in the affairs of the realm on considerations as to whether or not the wives of two politicians see eye-to-eye. Personally, I withdrew my support from the Tories in 1996 when I heard that UTTER BITCH Mrs Caroline Waldegrave had inadvertently spilt Pimms over the dress of Lady Mackay of Clashfern and then FAILED TO APOLOGISE. The subsequent defeat for the Conservative Party and the loss of William Waldegrave's Parliamentary seat was apt retribution for her total disrespect for Lady Mackay and, indeed, Laura Ashley.
Very good. Some of these comments are more like Hello magazine than actual politics. WTF, the two brothers are daggers at each other, and the wives! You wouldn't believe the screeching that goes on, whereas that nice Samantha, she does look nice in heels, I think you can tell a lot from a politician's wife's shoes.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016