homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: UK Election 2015 (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: UK Election 2015
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - given that Sturgeon has said that the SNP's first aim is just to get rid of the tories and end austerity, Ed can just say that he can form a government and the SNP will vote with him in the Queens speech, which will be enough to start with.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although, surely, weighing heavily on Cameron's side, in relation to legitimacy, and in fact, phenomenological coherence, are bacon sarnies?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Although, surely, weighing heavily on Cameron's side, in relation to legitimacy, and in fact, phenomenological coherence, are bacon sarnies?

And the fact that Milliband stumbled off the stage at that BBC debate last week. You don't want someone as PM who can't appear calm under pressure. Kinnock fell over on the beach that time in Brighton, and he never won...

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Some talk of a very late Labour swing, so YouGov has Cameron only 4 seats ahead. I do wonder if Cameron's reference to Labour illegitimacy might rile some people - that's not his decision.

It's a good argument from us the elector's viewpoint, but it's it rather a bad argument for a party leader who claims he ought to be in power on similar figures. Can't the wonks see that if they say that a Labour administration is illegitimate, a Conservative one on the same figures is equally so? What sort of an authority does anyone have who only got there on hanging chads?

I can see that where two parties each poll 49.5%, hanging chads or their equivalent might sort of do as an alternative to drawing lots. But that doesn't carry quite the same conviction where two parties have each got only about ⅓ of the vote.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is an interesting counterfactual going around - Labour get slightly more seats, but the Libdems do unexpectedly well, and Cameron is able to form a coalition. However, the Sun and the Times advise that it wouldn't be fair, if the Tories are the second largest party.

It seems unlikely that Labour could win more seats than the Conservatives, and yet (Con + LD) would command a majority. That would require Labour to do much, much better than expected in Scotland.

If the Conservatives get somewhere in the high 280s or 290 seats, Cameron probably has a reasonable shot at a minority government. Labour only needs to score in the 260s to put Miliband in the same position - he can say "no deals" all he likes, but the SNP aren't going to vote in a Tory government.

I think all the uncertainty is in the 3- and 4-way English marginals: whether a vote split between Con and UKIP lets the Lab candidate win, or whether a Green/Lab split lets the LD squeak through.

My guess is that Cameron gets the most seats, but that there aren't enough votes to support him in government, so we end up with a minority Miliband government which relies on votes from the nationalists and some Lib Dems to survive. There's probably about equal odds of that ending up being reasonably stable, or ending up as a complete disaster.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
There is an interesting counterfactual going around - Labour get slightly more seats, but the Libdems do unexpectedly well, and Cameron is able to form a coalition. However, the Sun and the Times advise that it wouldn't be fair, if the Tories are the second largest party.

It seems unlikely that Labour could win more seats than the Conservatives, and yet (Con + LD) would command a majority. That would require Labour to do much, much better than expected in Scotland.

If the Conservatives get somewhere in the high 280s or 290 seats, Cameron probably has a reasonable shot at a minority government. Labour only needs to score in the 260s to put Miliband in the same position - he can say "no deals" all he likes, but the SNP aren't going to vote in a Tory government.

I think all the uncertainty is in the 3- and 4-way English marginals: whether a vote split between Con and UKIP lets the Lab candidate win, or whether a Green/Lab split lets the LD squeak through.

My guess is that Cameron gets the most seats, but that there aren't enough votes to support him in government, so we end up with a minority Miliband government which relies on votes from the nationalists and some Lib Dems to survive. There's probably about equal odds of that ending up being reasonably stable, or ending up as a complete disaster.

and if the latter, a Boris 2020 landslide - if not earlier if the parliament can actually be brought down in the meantime.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While we have to wait and speculate about how today's vote will turn out, over in the Circus the Ship of Fools poll has ended (because I buggered up its closing time - I meant to get it to end at 22:00 tonight, oops). Since I imagine many Purg denizens rarely peer through the flaps of the Circus tent, I've written up the results .

It shows that we seem to be more left-leaning than the country at large - in the past many have voted LibDem, but this time the most Ship of Fools votes are going to the Greens, with them getting one more vote than Labour, and the Tories in third, one point above LibDem.

Quite a few Shippies have changed their vote - although half are sticking with their usual, just over thirty percent were planning to vote for a different Party, and 17% hadn't decided.
(frighteningly, there was someone who said they were planning to vote UKIP)

What valuable insights can we learn about ourselves from there?
I imagine the national breakdown of votes won't be quite like this - perhaps the "Christian Unrest" (ITTWACW [Biased] ) makes us more concerned with social justice, addressing the gap between rich and poor and so on, or maybe the general tendency of people here to think things through and be quite well-informed means we're less likely to vote UKIP (I do wonder who that one person was!) or to be on the right-wing Tory end of the spectrum .

[ 07. May 2015, 12:08: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should point out that if I had a vote in a putative Tory leadership ballot, it wouldn't be for Boris.

Interesting question though, while we're on hypotheticals - if Ed were to fall on his sword in the next couple of days, having not done enough, who would the assembled company want to be the next Labour leader?

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For anyone else who is planning to watch the results, the Huffington Post have published the estimated result announcement times for each constituency. We'll see how accurate (or otherwise) it ends up being.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm undecided about whether to watch the results on the BBC for serious coverage, or on the Channel 4 more entertaining-sounding one. Slightly leaning towards Channel 4, as it'll be the same results, and the accompanying interviews and analysis on the BBC will rapidy become samey, I guess.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We stopped paying for our TV licence last year, and not being able to watch TV tonight will be the first time I've regretted that decision. I'll be flipping around various websites. I'm planning to get four hours sleep 10pm to 2am, then go online as the results start coming in.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First things first. I need to watch the Good Wife first, to get my weekly fix of the divine Julianna M. Then the entertainment can begin - any chance of a Portillo moment? Clegg moment?

--------------------

betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
First things first. I need to watch the Good Wife first, to get my weekly fix of the divine Julianna M. Then the entertainment can begin - any chance of a Portillo moment? Clegg moment?

I think Clegg's going to be safe. In terms of really high profile, I'm holding out for Balls. It's only 1200 odd to turf him out so with a bit of tactical voting....

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've decided to go ashore for a week or two, but before I do, here's a question.

Quite a lot of shipmates on this thread and other threads have expressed fairly definite views on which party and which leaders they love and hate. Has any shipmate been persuaded by those sort of statements to vote differently from the way they probably thought they would about three months ago? And has any shipmate been persuaded to vote differently because of any of the discussions about politics on these threads? Or for that matter, has anyone been persuaded by any Party Political Broadcast, leaflet shoved through their door, or any interview or debate on radio or television to vote differently, to change their mind?

The wonks and party people are all bemoaning the fact that the figures haven't move much. Might this not be a good thing? And might it not mean that a lot of the canvassing etc is either a complete waste of time or only works on those who are already their supporters?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:

I'm hoping for a Farage moment, in which he doesn't get in. Must check that site to see when South Thanet declares....

--------------------

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
We stopped paying for our TV licence last year, and not being able to watch TV tonight will be the first time I've regretted that decision. I'll be flipping around various websites. I'm planning to get four hours sleep 10pm to 2am, then go online as the results start coming in.

I haven't had a TV for 15 years and elections are the only time when I wish we had a license.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the benefit of those of you from outside the UK who are interested in trying to understand the British system, and this election in particular, here is a fun but informative little video (also good for Brits too I think)

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
The narrative that it's only the top 1% who are doing well while everyone else is getting poorer and poorer just doesn't ring true.

Except that government statistics inconveniently disagree with you.

Take-away headlines are:
  • Since the start of the economic downturn, median household income for the overall population has fallen by 3.8%, after adjusting for inflation
  • However, when looking separately at non-retired and retired households, the median income for non-retired households fell by 6.4% between 2007/08 and 2011/12
  • The average amount paid in indirect taxes by the middle fifth of non-retired households also fell between 2007/08 and 2011/12, from £6,400 to £6,000, partly reflecting falling average expenditure. However, as a proportion of gross income, indirect taxes rose from 15.6% to 16.2% over this period, due to gross income falling at a faster rate

So, no. Even you, Marvin, though you're convinced otherwise.

I bow to your superior knowledge of my personal finances.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
May I ask how old you are, Marvin?

quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
I worked out my "hard working household" (i.e. me) was about £3500 p.a. worse off in real terms in 2014-15 than in 2009-10. This was largely due to public sector wage freeze and increased pension contributions. But I was lucky - I could still live on that. Many weren't so lucky, and tomorrow I'll be voting with them in mind.

My gross income has gone up by about £10k over the last five years, and with the increases to the personal allowance I'm keeping proportionally more of it in my accounts. In the same period my gas, electricity and food bills have virtually halved. I figure somebody in power must be doing something right.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went a short time after I finished at the outdoor gym (provided by local blue council, and chosen to suit 6ft people with muscular upper bodies), which I finished at about 8 am. There was no-one there but me, though I saw a dad coming away with his young son (I know he'd been there, because he was holding his card), and explaining the process to the son.
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've voted. In Twickenham, it's either to keep Vince Cable in the House of Commons, or replace him with a new Conservative MP. Voting LibDem in such circumstances is a no-brainer, IMHO. If we end up with a Conservative-led government I'd like it to be at least somewaht accountable to a coalition partner.

What I'm really hoping, though, is that the British people give the big F-off to UKIP. I'd like this to be the last General Election in which they are treated even remotely seriously. I fear that is a vain hope, but I'd welcome a government of pretty much any other combination of parties, if xenophobia could be taken off the political agenda for the foreseeable future.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My gross income has gone up by about £10k over the last five years, and with the increases to the personal allowance I'm keeping proportionally more of it in my accounts. In the same period my gas, electricity and food bills have virtually halved. I figure somebody in power must be doing something right.

It's likelier that you have done something right, and well done for that. Shopping around for gas & electricity and a change of diet help. As for a salary increase of £10K that must be down to you, especially in a period of pay restraint.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
The narrative that it's only the top 1% who are doing well while everyone else is getting poorer and poorer just doesn't ring true.

Take-away headlines are:
  • Since the start of the economic downturn, median household income for the overall population has fallen by 3.8%, after adjusting for inflation
  • However, when looking separately at non-retired and retired households, the median income for non-retired households fell by 6.4% between 2007/08 and 2011/12
  • The average amount paid in indirect taxes by the middle fifth of non-retired households also fell between 2007/08 and 2011/12, from £6,400 to £6,000, partly reflecting falling average expenditure. However, as a proportion of gross income, indirect taxes rose from 15.6% to 16.2% over this period, due to gross income falling at a faster rate

quote:

quote:
I worked out my "hard working household" (i.e. me) was about £3500 p.a. worse off in real terms in 2014-15 than in 2009-10. This was largely due to public sector wage freeze and increased pension contributions. But I was lucky - I could still live on that. Many weren't so lucky, and tomorrow I'll be voting with them in mind.

One of the biggest outreach ministries at our church is the food bank. Before this government got in and trashed social security, we didn't need one. I'm not entirely convinced about that ... [Big Grin]

It's moments like this I really miss Ken.

I haven't voted yet. It's a safe Tory seat, but I'll either go Red or Green. Sadly, I can't bring myself to vote Lib-Dem anymore. [Waterworks] Like many others, I hope UKIP does really badly and Farage loses in Thanet so has to make good on his promise to resign as party leader. (Part of me hopes that Al Murry would actually get elected, but that is nighly unlikely [Snigger] ).

Tubbs

[ 07. May 2015, 13:41: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
I've voted. In Twickenham, it's either to keep Vince Cable in the House of Commons, or replace him with a new Conservative MP. Voting LibDem in such circumstances is a no-brainer, IMHO. If we end up with a Conservative-led government I'd like it to be at least somewaht accountable to a coalition partner.

What I'm really hoping, though, is that the British people give the big F-off to UKIP. I'd like this to be the last General Election in which they are treated even remotely seriously. I fear that is a vain hope, but I'd welcome a government of pretty much any other combination of parties, if xenophobia could be taken off the political agenda for the foreseeable future.

Xenophobia will disappear when the economy gets better. The "problem" of supporting all these foreigners won't matter as much when there's lots of money around to do it, and more people want a cheap Polish plumber to fit their new bathroom.

Islamaphobia however, is a different issue.

I notice (with distaste) that after people jumped on Farage for going on about the cost of HIV treatment for foreigners, he was banging on the other day about how extremists could get in via the Med people smuggling route and there was nothing we could do as long as we were in the EU. Apart from that being bollocks,it's appealing to a different phobia.

(appealing, not appearing)

[ 07. May 2015, 13:40: Message edited by: lowlands_boy ]

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

Not everyone has fared quite so well. I (at 31) thought I'd come off reasonably well. I was on the same pay from 1 Jan 2010 - 31 Dec 2013, only getting pay rises in the last two years. I worked out the compound annual growth rate was 0.1%. In the same period, my rent has gone up 30% (CAGR 5.4%) and energy bills have nearly doubled.

Yet I would never say I have it tough. With the exception of the Help To Inflate scheme, a self-serving vote would be for the Conservatives. But having seen their true economic legacy, the legacy of the hundreds of thousands who cannot afford to feed themselves, of the disabled and their carers taking the brunt of the cuts, then I could not in good conscience have voted for them.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a Canadian, can I ask what time the polls close? I am interested in following the poll numbers as they roll in.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
Originally posted by Caissa:
As a Canadian, can I ask what time the polls close? I am interested in following the poll numbers as they roll in.

10pm UK time....

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Polls close at 10pm (British Summer Time). There maybe one or two results announced by midnight, I expect most will be in between 2 and 5am.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

It's likelier that you have done something right, and well done for that. Shopping around for gas & electricity and a change of diet help. As for a salary increase of £10K that must be down to you, especially in a period of pay restraint.
Exactly. Am I right in thinking you work in a University, Marvin? If so, you almost certainly won't have had much of a pay rise in any single post, as opposed to raising your pay by moving between jobs- unless you're a Vice-Chancellor, of course, but I suspect you aren't one.
And of course there is the argument, supported by quite a lot of academics and others from lefty pinko organisations like the Bank of England and the IMF, that Osbastard's austerity actually delayed economic recovery.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
British standard video concerning immigration... [Biased]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Am I right in thinking you work in a University, Marvin?

Yep.

quote:
If so, you almost certainly won't have had much of a pay rise in any single post, as opposed to raising your pay by moving between jobs- unless you're a Vice-Chancellor, of course, but I suspect you aren't one.
There was one promotion, the rest was increments within my current role.

quote:
And of course there is the argument, supported by quite a lot of academics and others from lefty pinko organisations like the Bank of England and the IMF, that Osbastard's austerity actually delayed economic recovery.
It's possible that might be right. But there's also an argument that playing it safe and accepting a slower recovery in return for not going completely off the side of the cliff (see Greece) is a good thing.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Problem is quite a few people are already falling off the cliff: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killed-benefits-cuts-starving-soldier-3923771

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If Farage fails to take Thanet, and resigns as he said he would, I expect UKIP to fizzle out. Who else in UKIP has the charisma or public profile to replicate his success?

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:

If Farage fails to take Thanet, and resigns as he said he would, I expect UKIP to fizzle out. Who else in UKIP has the charisma or public profile to replicate his success?
I don't think Farage has quit as an MEP yet has he - presumably as a nice financial insurance, only needing to quit that job if he got the UK one?

UKIP have quite a few MEPs, and I could see them continuing to have those in the future, with people happily still voting for them in the belief that it's OK to do that as a protest, in the same way that council elections mid term for a government often go in the opposite direction to the governing party.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Amen [Overused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Take-away headlines are:

You're paying more indirect tax than you're saving on income tax, is for certain.

But I note with some irony that you don't, you can't contradict hard statistics with your anecdata, and any attempt to dress up the situation as "it's not as bad as everyone says" is either woefully ignorant or actively mendacious.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Am I right in thinking you work in a University, Marvin?

Yep.

quote:
If so, you almost certainly won't have had much of a pay rise in any single post, as opposed to raising your pay by moving between jobs- unless you're a Vice-Chancellor, of course, but I suspect you aren't one.
There was one promotion, the rest was increments within my current role.

quote:
It's possible that might be right. But there's also an argument that playing it safe and accepting a slower recovery in return for not going completely off the side of the cliff (see Greece) is a good thing.

Nobody, but nobody, who knows anything about the subject, thinks that the UK economy had much in common with the Greek economy at all. We had and have control over interest rates, and our debt was much more long-term. The Greek comparison was and is mischievous and purely a scare tactic.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
For the benefit of those of you from outside the UK who are interested in trying to understand the British system, and this election in particular, here is a fun but informative little video (also good for Brits too I think)

Hadn't seen that - loved it [Smile] !
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Some journos are calculating a 3% swing to Labour, not enough for a majority, but maybe enough to frustrate Cameron. But of course, it will vary a lot, maybe higher in the Great Wen.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
You're paying more indirect tax than you're saving on income tax, is for certain.

Perhaps. That doesn't change any of what I've said though.

quote:
But I note with some irony that you don't, you can't contradict hard statistics with your anecdata, and any attempt to dress up the situation as "it's not as bad as everyone says" is either woefully ignorant or actively mendacious.
When what everyone says is that unless you're in the 1% you're inevitably going to get poorer under the Tories, it only takes one example of someone who's not in the 1% getting richer to demonstrate that it's not as bad as they're making out.

National-level statistics can only take you so far. If 30% of people are richer and 70% are poorer then the stats will tell you that there's an overall downwards trend, but that doesn't mean the 30% are actually getting poorer.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Nobody, but nobody, who knows anything about the subject, thinks that the UK economy had much in common with the Greek economy at all. We had and have control over interest rates, and our debt was much more long-term. The Greek comparison was and is mischievous and purely a scare tactic.
[brick wall] Indeed.

Not to mention that strictly speaking, never mind a slower recovery we haven't had any kind of recovery.

A recovery is above trend growth that brings growth rates back up to the trend making up for the ground lost in the recession. We have just crawled back to trend level. Just. And GDP per head remains below pre-crisis levels.

But of course it's the BEST recovery ever, Osborne keeps telling us so...

This Chart is particularly revealing (Can you spot when George took over?)

And this is one of my favourites: 2010 predictions of Osborne's Economic brilliance(tm) vs what actually happened: Ooops!

Long Term Economic Plan
UK Economic performance vs France

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When what everyone says is that unless you're in the 1% you're inevitably going to get poorer under the Tories, it only takes one example of someone who's not in the 1% getting richer to demonstrate that it's not as bad as they're making out.

National-level statistics can only take you so far. If 30% of people are richer and 70% are poorer then the stats will tell you that there's an overall downwards trend, but that doesn't mean the 30% are actually getting poorer.

You're the one who insists that whenever anyone says "people are getting poorer", it means 99% of us are. I never argued that.

The median income is going down. Most people are poorer. The very rich are very much richer. Congratulations, but it's nothing that the government's done that's led to you bucking the trend. You're richer despite them. My family are poorer because of them, as are an awful lot of others.

You choose not to see that as a problem, so whatever.

[ 07. May 2015, 17:10: Message edited by: Doc Tor ]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's also worth pointing out that in 2010 raising the personal allowance was a Liberal Democrat policy which Mr Cameron claimed would be unaffordable. That he is now claiming the credit for it is another entry in the Tory chutzpah register.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pottage
Shipmate
# 9529

- Posted      Profile for Pottage   Email Pottage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The median income is going down.

Is that really so? It certainly was over the period of the statistics you linked to, 2007-2012, but more current figures indicate that median income has risen since then. That's about my experience: my income fell in 2010/11, then remained frozen, but has been picking up since 2013.

Of course I'm relatively well paid (not in the top 1% or anything but comfortably above average). However, I'm also a governor at a school in one of Birmingham's most deprived wards and I see some signs of the same sort of thing there. Two years ago 78% of our children qualified for free school meals, the most recent figure is 46%. The eligibility criteria for FSM have remained unchanged, and the school's procedures for checking that all parents who are eligible register their entitlement have, if anything, become even more thorough. There have been no changes to the demographics of the school's catchment area which is overwhelmingly social housing with a high proportion of immigrant and refugee families.

Posts: 701 | From: middle England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are folk factoring inflation when looking at income growth ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Originally posted by Pottage:
quote:
The median income is going down.

Is that really so? It certainly was over the period of the statistics you linked to, 2007-2012, but more current figures indicate that median income has risen since then.
That's fine. I'm happy to accept good statistics. Median income was going down, and is now back to where it was.

The situation, though, is patchy. My kid's school is seeing a huge rise in FSM (we're up to nearly 50%). Most of our household income comes from Mrs Tor's civil service wage. Higher pension payments, zero increases (she's at the top of her scale), zero annual increases, and the £5k pay cut she needed to take in order to keep the job she has, plus higher energy bills, higher VAT, higher travel costs... perhaps that unduly colours my view, but I know a lot of folk far worse off than we are. If it wasn't for our incredibly low mortgage, we'd be far worse off too.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I also add that I wouldn't *mind* being slightly poorer if it meant that the number of people who have to use food banks went down?
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

Ditto. It's an irony that we're poorer to no discernible effect, and the money seems to have gone to those who already had most of it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

(Should say that link is probably not work safe.)

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone else see the XKCD cartoon yesterday?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016