homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: UK Election 2015 (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: UK Election 2015
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Did anyone else see the XKCD cartoon yesterday?

That's hilarious. I want that as T-shirt. [Big Grin]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had town council, district council and constituency MP voting.

The town council has 6 seats, 7 candidates, 6 of whom were Tory. I voted for three candidates, the Labour candidate and two of the better Tory guys (comes of knowing most of them personally).

District council was a pretty crummy choice, again knowing most of the candidates from previous performance or personally. That one I voted politically and Green.

MP was interesting. Here is solidly true blue with the sitting MP polling 51% of the vote last time around. LibDem usually comes second. This time around the LibDem candidate is a very good local councillor at district and county level and the sitting MP is a crap constituency MP. We also got UKIP, Labour and Green candidates. I am hoping that the drift to UKIP in this area will let the LibDem guy through and oust the Tory MP. And if that happens, that will be Portillo moment.

So to my amusement I have voted Tory, Labour, Green and LibDem tonight. Mainly for candidates rather than on party political lines.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Garasu
Shipmate
# 17152

- Posted      Profile for Garasu   Email Garasu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Hilarious" is pushing it.

Mildly amusing, I'll grant you.

Too much processing for a T-Shirt.

--------------------
"Could I believe in the doctrine without believing in the deity?". - Modesitt, L. E., Jr., 1943- Imager.

Posts: 889 | From: Surrey Heath (England) | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BBC exit poll: Con 316, Lab 239, LD 10, SNP 58, UKIP 2, Green 2, PC 4, Others 19.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which means Con + Lib Dem is a viable coalition again, albeit with a majority of only 2.

If the exit poll is accurate, of course. With such a small majority it only takes one seat to go the other way for all bets to be off!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm. This exit poll looks to be based on about 50 voters per constituency (22,000 total). How reliable is it likely to be?
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
BBC exit poll: Con 316, Lab 239, LD 10, SNP 58, UKIP 2, Green 2, PC 4, Others 19.

If this is correct, I don't want to live in this country any more. I don't want to live in a country ruled by and for fucking stupid selfish bastards and their dupes.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
Hmm. This exit poll looks to be based on about 50 voters per constituency (22,000 total). How reliable is it likely to be?

Last time it was pretty close.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But this election is very different from the last one, with more parties in play (SNP and UKIP especially). So I am not convinced that the exit poll will be as accurate as last time.

Paddy Ashdown agrees with me! Er...

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God.... Not 58 seats for the SNP... PLEASE!!!!
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the exit poll is right the NHS is going to be destroyed by the time of the next election.

Opposition vote looks like it split.

[ 07. May 2015, 21:26: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Depressed already by the BBC's exit poll - how could the tories actually make gains? I hope it's wildly wrong.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

Harriet Harman on the other hand is trying to argue that the exit polls would represent good news!
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I need a drink.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Yougov exit poll is very different. Sorry, this is a tablet and I lack the will to link.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying very hard to convince myself I don't need a drink

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watching channel 4s coverage is making this so much less depressing. Even though it is very depressing. Also, wine helps.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my GHOD!!!

That exit poll could really, really hardly be worse.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
Did anyone else see the XKCD cartoon yesterday?

Personally, I preferred the gag about cutting the US Secret Service some slack.
Because, let's face it, they are the only branch of US Law Enforcement who get in trouble if a black man gets shot.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Southern Comfort over in this neck of the woods. I booked tomorrow morning off work so I can stay up / sleep thru my hangover.

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The Yougov exit poll is very different. Sorry, this is a tablet and I lack the will to link.

but I don't think it's based on a sample of 22K.

And on reflection, it's actually quite feasable. I have heard that the Lib Dems in the South West have been shedding working class votes to UKIP. That means lots of Tory gains there.

--------------------
M Barnier

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Channel 4 is definitely a better bet than BBC Scotland. Which is just a bit Scotland-centric...

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The exit polls have got to be wrong.

The exit polls have GOT to be wrong

THE EXIT POLLS.....

<recollects himself>

Apologies - are you detecting a note of desperation?

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Channel 4 wins over BBC coverage by virtue of *not* having Michael Gove.

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You all trust exit polls over there?

I thought every body knew they were not always accurate.

[ 07. May 2015, 21:45: Message edited by: Og: Thread Killer ]

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

If the seat prediction is correct, the forthcoming result is likely be Tory led with coalition / supply arrangements with the Lib Dems, UKIP and the DUP.

...............................and a second independence referendum in short order.

AND a Brexit referendum.

Not to mention the reintroduction of workhouses.

--------------------
M Barnier

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to wait until 2300 to switch to Channel 4 - Gogglebox is a bit annoying, so I thought I'd let the majority of that get out of the way.

BBC were talking up Sunderland trying to have their count in by 22:40 - but it seems that they've failed to beat their last year's record of 22:43, as we're still listening to a UKIP talking-head.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Depressed already by the BBC's exit poll - how could the tories actually make gains? I hope it's wildly wrong.

Only just realised that the exit poll represents gains.

Well, it could happen because of your voting system. In the UK, it doesn't matter where votes that were held by the previous winning party leak, it just matters that they leak.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

I thought every knew they were not always accurate.

Unfortunately the last two have been dead on, following a change from the 2001 methodology.
Even in 2001, the median between the ITV and BBC polls was pretty much exactly the result.

--------------------
M Barnier

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Yogov have tories at 283 and labour on 263 - its on the BbC live website feed. Liberals on about 30.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

Oh, we know they're not necessarily accurate.
But they're the only thing we've got until the results start coming in, and frankly they're too depressing. (And as far as Scotland is concerned, all the polls leading up to the election have also predicted that the SNP will pretty take everything)

On a more cheerful note, I have given in and opened a bottle of red.

[ 07. May 2015, 21:52: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:

It's not so much trust you're seeing here as fear that they may be right.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

Hrm. Over 20% for UKIP in Sunderland South. Hrmmmm.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Labour have held Sunderland South, no surprise there. Turnout 56% which is crap. UKIP gain is distressing.

[ 07. May 2015, 21:54: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

AFZ has it in one.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

The first real result is in, and it's a 7% swing from Labour to UKIP. not enough to win then the seat of course, but if that's repeated in closer seats it could open the door for the Tories to get in...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Mitchell unleashed .....

--------------------

TurquoiseTastic

# 8978

Or it could damage the Conservatives in the South. As Peter Snow used to say.... We Simply Don't Know!
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Turnout in Sunderland South is the same as 2010, so I reckon the following has happened:

Lib Dem votes > Labour (lots)
Conservative votes > UKIP
BNP votes > UKIP
Labour votes > UKIP

--------------------
M Barnier

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

So, what could "Getting onto Labour's pink bus" be a euphemism for?

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Mwahahaha

--------------------

St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

If this is correct, I don't want to live in this country any more. I don't want to live in a country ruled by and for fucking stupid selfish bastards and their dupes.
I feel the same way.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me, from the little information that is available so far, is that a plausible scenario involves the Liberal Democrat vote collapsing but much of the practical benefit going to the Conservatives in the south and the SNP in the north, not Labour.

[ 07. May 2015, 22:08: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Tweet from a friend reckons that putting Paddy Ashdown between Alistair Campbell and Michael Gove is against his Human Rights as cruel and unusual ..

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Lots of politicians offering to eat items of clothing - at some point someone is going to make a meme ...

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It seems to me, from the little information that is available so far, is that a plausible scenario involves the Liberal Democrat vote collapsing but much of the practical benefit going to the Conservatives in the south and the SNP in the north, not Labour.

That's a very plausible analysis.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
It seems to me, from the little information that is available so far, is that a plausible scenario involves the Liberal Democrat vote collapsing but much of the practical benefit going to the Conservatives in the south

Correct. Especially in the south west and the rural south east, most seats are a square-off between the Tories and the Lib Dems, with Labour in a poor third. One of the reasons why the Tories didn't get a majority in 2010 (despite their increased vote) is because the Lib Dems' vote also increased.

quote:
and the SNP in the north, not Labour.
I think that's dwarfed by the switch from Labour to SNP, and also non-voters to SNP.

--------------------
M Barnier

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:

I feel the same way.
Likewise.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

This is from the BBC live feed.

quote:

Moreover, a final poll of polls compiled by the Press Association puts the Tories on 276 seats, Labour on 271, Lib Dems on 28, SNP 48, UKIP three and Greens one.

There'll be a LOT of nail biting going on tonight.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Labour hold for Sunderland Central. UKiP on 19% again and 5% swing to labour from Tory.

[ 07. May 2015, 22:18: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016