homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: UK Election 2015 (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: UK Election 2015
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Labour gain Burnley, apparently.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ditto.

Also Nicola Sturgeon promising they won't take their victory as a mandate for independence or another referendum.

Interesting.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh Labour just gained 2 seats.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The graphics department must be relieved - the Labour to SNP swing thus far nearly went off the swingometer's scale - but not quite. 27% average so far. Gosh.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like the turkeys have voted for Christmas.

The smears and lies from the vested interests of Murdoch and the rest of the Tory press seems to have won out over against the voices that sought to stand up for the poor and the disabled.

As good a night as it may seem for the SNP, ultimately they still get a Tory-led government, making them as relevant in Parliament as the Lib Dems were in the 90s. [Tear]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know where Castle Point is, but I just read that the Lib Dems got 80 votes. 0.2%.

That's gotta hurt. I mean, even if it's somewhere they had no expectation of doing well, that's doing BADLY.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ed Balls is in danger.

Marvellous [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jim Murphy "on his way out".

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't know where Castle Point is

Essex

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't know where Castle Point is, but I just read that the Lib Dems got 80 votes. 0.2%.

South Essex

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Insightful comment from a pundit, saying that labour thought they were fighting an election about austerity and health - but it has turned out to be an election about nationality.

I think the pundit was right. It is the most sensible explanation I have heard so far.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
Ditto.

Also Nicola Sturgeon promising they won't take their victory as a mandate for independence or another referendum.

Interesting.

That's what she's been saying all campaign.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wanted to be a bit more precise than Marvin ...

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
As good a night as it may seem for the SNP, ultimately they still get a Tory-led government, making them as relevant in Parliament as the Lib Dems were in the 90s. [Tear]

Unlike the Lib Dems though, they can turn it into tangible rewards. The argument for large-scale further devolution to Scotland will be irresistable, and independence may be right back on the agenda.

It's an excellent night for the SNP.

--------------------
M Barnier

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Insightful comment from a pundit, saying that labour thought they were fighting an election about austerity and health - but it has turned out to be an election about nationality.

I think the pundit was right. It is the most sensible explanation I have heard so far.

I think it shows people didn't think that Labour could deliver on austerity and health.
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

But one of the impressions that has filtered through to me is that the SNP (along with Greens and Plaid Cymru) were actually talking against austerity more strongly than Labour were. The SNP set themselves up as a vote on both issues - on both austerity and nationality.

Given that Scotland as a whole seems more left-leaning than England, a party that set itself up as both distinctly Scottish and distinctly left-wing was well-placed to capture the dissatisfaction with a right-wing, southern-based government.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Murphy's gone.

he very successfully avoided a Portillo moment.

--------------------
M Barnier

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Jim Murphy has gone as well now. The biggest surprise is that that's not really a surprise any more.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:

I think it shows people didn't think that Labour could deliver on austerity and health.
They didn't say they would, that is part of the problem (in the sense of refuting the austerity argument and rolling back the privatisation of public services.)

--------------------

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Wish I'd put money on SNP win every Scottish seat.

At present they are only 3 behind the Tories in the national count.

--------------------
M Barnier

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

How much do you think tories have benefitted in marginals with non-core voters voting tory to keep ukip out ?

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elsewhere, Tory gains, or marginals Labour was wanting, but failing to take [Frown]

Of the two available weevils, the lesser is definitely the red one, but I think the blue weevils may be the ones that get the larger share of the biscuit. God help us all.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Jim Murphy has gone as well now. The biggest surprise is that that's not really a surprise any more.

It doesn't seem to have come as a surprise to Jim Murphy.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I say this as a Tory: Jim Murphy, that was bloody well done. Dignity and humility. Fair play to him.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wanted to say that I am very, very drunk...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
How much do you think tories have benefitted in marginals with non-core voters voting tory to keep ukip out ?

Honestly, I think the bigger benefit has been from Labour and Lib Dem voters moving to UKIP.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I am debating whether more whiskey is required.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
I just wanted to say that I am very, very drunk...

I'm getting there. Still a few cans let in the fridge yet, mind - and there's always the GiN.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

Looking like Simon Hughes has gone.

--------------------
M Barnier

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Pity, he seems like a nice guy.
Still feeling sad for the LibDems, even though I'm one of those who've turned away from them after the ConDem coalition.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:
I say this as a Tory: Jim Murphy, that was bloody well done. Dignity and humility. Fair play to him.

Yes, kudos to Jim Murphy.

Margaret Curran has gone too. A very bad night for Scottish Labour.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I do wonder why Plaid Cymri are not as successful as the SNP (in general maybe not a massive landslide.)

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Northern Ireland madness: so far, the party with the best overall improvement in performance is the Alliance... for the loss of 1 seat.

And the party with the biggest overall decrease in votes is the Ulster Unionist Party... for the gain of 1 seat.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I do wonder why Plaid Cymri are not as successful as the SNP (in general maybe not a massive landslide.)

Wales is still very much a Labour heartland, and there's not the same kind of nationalism there as there is in Scotland.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

A good many things are driving me crazy about this election.

One of them is the turnout in England - down 2% from a modest enough level in 2010. All the anger about austerity, cuts, immigration, zero hours contracts, bankers' bonuses, high housing cost and so on has translated into .......?

--------------------
M Barnier

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:

There are several possible factors.

The Scottish Independence referendum had SNP in the news for months very recently, that publicity can not have hurt them.

The greater devolved powers in the Scottish Parliament compared to the Welsh Assembly has provided the SNP an opportunity to develop and demonstrate some real policies and presence which PC has lacked.

Scotland has been a mix of Labour, SNP and LibDems for a long time. Scottish Labour have had some very public in-fighting and obvious differences from the UK party as a whole (the "branch office" comments are still fresh in voters memories) and the LibDems (as everywhere) have collapsed, the SNP have picked up a lot of votes. In Wales, the Conservatives are much stronger, and Labour in Wales doesn't seem to have suffered from an identity crisis. That's meant there has been less for PC to gain from (the LibDem collapse has benefit everyone fairly).

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Re: turnout. People take coalition to mean, doesn't matter who you vote for.

[ 08. May 2015, 02:35: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Tim Farron has kept his lib dem seat in Cumbria - my parents will be pleased - I had thought it might go back tory.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Galloway has lost his seat in Bradford, apparently.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

quote:
Re: turnout. People take coalition to mean, doesn't matter who you vote for.

Pretty poor stuff.

--------------------
M Barnier

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

I can't find figures, but reports are saying turnout was high in Scotland. `

Anyone have any figures for turnout?

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:
Galloway has lost his seat in Bradford, apparently.

Good

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

My home seat of Warley has gone to Labour with an increased majority. Hardly a surprise, that one, but it's always good to see ones own constituency declared.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Looks like the turkeys have voted for Christmas.

The smears and lies from the vested interests of Murdoch and the rest of the Tory press seems to have won out over against the voices that sought to stand up for the poor and the disabled.

As a matter of political reality, I'm sure that won't fly. The Conservatives will offer immediate D-Max (maximum devolution) to Scotland. A real maximum devolution, not some cosmetic job.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:

70%ish the ones I've seen.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:

Latest BBC website figures:

England 63.5%
Scotland 70.7%
Wales 64.5%
Northern Ireland 56.5%

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cross-pond they don't expect us to understand anything about UK politics, so all the reports are about How Wrong All The Polls Were. The election was supposed to be a cliff hanger, and apparently the Tories are sweeping in.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ye Gods.

The only debate of note: sleep or vodka. Hmm, sleep or vodka.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

The last UK-wide +70% turnout was 1992. John Major's Conservatives actually got more votes (just over 14m) than any party since, including Labour in 1997.

By contrast, turnouts in NZ general elections historically is mid 70s to the 90s.

I wish more people in the UK would give a shit.

--------------------
M Barnier

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Shetland have bucked the trend and retained a lib dem mp.

(Despite a 24% swing to the snp.)

[ 08. May 2015, 03:00: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016