homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: UK Election 2015 (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: UK Election 2015
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why any sensible Italian would want to come to Clacton for their holidays is beyond me ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it so frustrating that UKIP got away with making immigration the scapegoat for all Britain's problems. It's a minor side issue IMO, and I agree with Alan that we probably need more not less.

I blame Labour for this: I don't expect anything better from the Tories but Labour should have aggressively taken on UKIP years ago. A lot of "immigration" issues are actually employment issues (low pay, insecure contracts, exploitation generally) - this is natural territory for Labour and would have won back their traditional supporters.

--------------------
Jez we did hand the next election to the Tories on a plate!

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
UKIP, the BNP or any of the other parties of that ilk would do better to address the problem of the consistent under-performance of white working class children (particularly boys) in our school system.

And if they did a blind survey of teachers they might find that parental attitude and lack of support has a lot to do with it.

I still remember a friend of my children's father being outraged at school sending home a reading book - "I'm not doing that, its for the school to teach them to read, I've better things to do that waste time like that".

[ 16. May 2015, 09:18: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:
I find it so frustrating that UKIP got away with making immigration the scapegoat for all Britain's problems. It's a minor side issue IMO, and I agree with Alan that we probably need more not less.

I blame Labour for this: I don't expect anything better from the Tories but Labour should have aggressively taken on UKIP years ago. A lot of "immigration" issues are actually employment issues (low pay, insecure contracts, exploitation generally) - this is natural territory for Labour and would have won back their traditional supporters.

But Labour are feeble on so many issues like this, for example, the 'Labour broke the economy' myth. Are they frightened of upsetting Murdoch? Maybe unconsciously they think that the Tories know best.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

- Posted      Profile for Touchstone   Email Touchstone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

But Labour are feeble on so many issues like this, for example, the 'Labour broke the economy' myth. Are they frightened of upsetting Murdoch? Maybe unconsciously they think that the Tories know best.
I think that there was too much complacency about UKIP among the Labour leadership. They thought that UKIP would help the 35% strategy (now proved to be a crock) by taking nore votes off the Tories than Labour. A lot of Labour activists knew that this was very naïve.

--------------------

Posts: 163 | From: Somewhere west of Bristol | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well again, being Londoncentric, why was the UKIP vote low here? In my constituency, they got less than the Greens. Obvious answers are greater prosperity in London, pro-EU sentiment strong, less fear of foreigners, because the place is saturated with them, and probably loads of other stuff.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Another odd thing is that the Labour vote went up more than the Tory vote. Is this just a London thing, otherwise, yours, baffled Resident.

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
UKIP stood in 41 Scottish constituencies and lost their deposit in all 41.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Touchstone
Shipmate
# 3560

Labour were recovering from a bad defeat in 2010, so their vote share would have gone up anyway. It went up most in London and places like London: Young, diverse, well-educated populations with a high level of public sector employment. Elsewhere their vote didn't recover enough to beat the Tories who effectively absorbed the Liberal Democrats (certainly in seats and to a large extent in votes.) The wipe-out in Scotland and the collapse of the traditional Labour vote (too many lost to UKIP or staying home) killed them.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:

It suggests that UKIP thrive in conditions of neglect and decay, as in northern towns and seaside towns. When there is a sense of purpose and dynamism, as in London and Scotland, their vote is low.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A significant change from last year's European Parliament election in which UKIP won 10.7% of the vote (for Parliamentary elections a candidate must win 5% of the votes cast) in Scotland. UKIP won nearly 28% of the vote across the UK, with Scotland bucking the trend, as ever.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now Jim Murphy (Scottish Labour) has fallen on his sword ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He did not fall on his sword, more like he was first suspended and then dropped on his sword. He would have never have been as honourable as to do it himself.

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cod
Shipmate
# 2643

- Posted      Profile for Cod     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cod:
quote:
That's also what happened in Scotland. However, as Scotland is generally to left of England, it was Cameron who was seen as "extreme" and the "largest minority" went to the SNP.

I understand there is research which states that people in Scotland identify further to the left, however, when asked specific questions on matters such as benefits, immigration, tax, Europe, law and order and so on, there is no difference or leastways a negligible one.
YouGov have asked questions on those issues and concluded that Scots are to the left. However, YouGov draw from a pool of people who have signed up to receive opinion polls, which probably affects the outcomes.

Here's an example You can check any other constituency by clicking on the map.

The page won't load.

However, there is this and this and this. And I suspect that the results would have been identical had people been asked how much extra tax they would be willing to pay.

quote:
But, again, Ormston urges caution: “We often paint ourselves as much more socially democratic and left-wing than the data shows that we are.”
It seems that talk is cheap, unlike taxes.

--------------------
"I fart in your general direction."
M Barnier

Posts: 4229 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
...the BNP or any of the other parties of that ilk would do better to

...become civilised human beings instead of hateful bastards.

FIFY.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gosh, Charles Kennedy has died.

He seemed a good man and a good politician. He led the Lib Dems to new electoral heights, and he was vocal in his opposition to the Iraq war.

[Votive]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Gosh, Charles Kennedy has died.

He seemed a good man and a good politician. He led the Lib Dems to new electoral heights, and he was vocal in his opposition to the Iraq war.

[Votive]

He was opposed to the coalition too. Let's not forget that.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a tragedy. And coming so soon after his father's death in April, a double blow for his family.

I didn't know him, but his father was a work colleague of my father. The whole family were very highly respected in the community. People were confident to elect him an MP at 23, because they knew that he'd had a good upbringing. Tramps and down-and-outs knew they could show up at his parents door and get a hot drink and something to eat. The young Charles grew up sharing the family dinner table with some of the most marginalised in society.

R.I.P. Charles Kennedy.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alistair Campbell has written a lovely and personal tribute to him.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not All Saints but [Votive]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
He was opposed to the coalition too. Let's not forget that.

If he predicted disastrous consequences for the Lib-Dems as a result of the coalition then at least he lived long enough to see it borne out.
Not that he'd have taken any pleasure from it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016