homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: The Next Course: recipe thread 2015 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: The Next Course: recipe thread 2015
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At that time of year when dry toast and the odd plate of lightly- poached water seem attractive, we'll continue with Piglet's post from the previous thread -

quote:
Kind of sticking with the toast theme, and prompted by a couple of posts on the Marmalade and Toast quiz in the Circus, what do people like on their toast, and more particularly with their cheese on toast?

Someone (I think it was WW) mentioned Branston™ pickle on the side (which sounds rather yummy); whenever I have cheese on toast I sprinkle it with a couple of drops of Worcestershire sauce. Any other traditions/ideas?

PS Mentioning Marmite™ is permitted ...

Firenze
Heaven Host

[ 24. March 2016, 09:11: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The thing i like best of all on toast is real, lightly salted, best butter. Spread thickly.

As I have no self control where butter is concerned, we only have it in the house when we have guests, so mostly have some less palatable 'spread', which I top with Bovril. Never anything sweet.

I never think of eating cheese on toast myself, but for Mr RoS I make a concoction of cheap commercial mayo and grated cheddar spread on toast and grilled until it bubbles. He calls that cheese on toast, and enjoys it..

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet
...what do people like on their toast, and more particularly with their cheese on toast?

I like cheese toast with a slice of tomato under the cheese.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not strictly cheese on toast, but toasted sandwiches of good ham, vintage cheddar and Branston are a thing of deliciousness.
Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It depends when I'm in the mood for and what the bread is, some combinations seem to work better than others and I'm not fond of brown bread. However:

Beans on toast, liver sausage on toast with Branston pickle, or toasted pate, either with tomato or Branston.

Mushrooms on toast are a lovely thing for Sunday breakfasts, and the mushrooms can be done in several ways depending on what mushrooms you've got and whether you feel like making a bit of a sauce. In their own juice with butter is good too.

With cheese on toast - depends on the cheese. Toasted Brie and ham, with or without mango chutney or Branston; extra mature Cheddar with pickle or with tomato; sometimes it has to be blue cheese either with pickle or with honey.

Tinned fish in spicy tomato sauce with grated cheese on top is a quick and easy standby for winter evenings when I can't be bothered to cook.
Occasionally, fish pate or crab pate on toast with a squeeze of lemon.

Yes, I'm afraid toast plays more of a role in my life than it probably should.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah thinking further - more towards a light meal rather than a snack: Yes to beans on toast, but with a spoonful of curry paste stirred into the beans.
Or, mashed avocado topped with a slice of grilled bacon
Or piperrada; beaten egg stirred into cooked sliced onion and red&green peppers until it scrambles, with plenty of ground black pepper.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you all [Mad]

I just said no to having any supper and now I'm hungry so I think I'll go for a walk!

Stripey cheese on toast with white cheese, red cheese and blue cheese - and Marmite, of course, and a touch of Branston. The best blue chese I have found for this is St Agur™ but stilton is good, too.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This reminds me of the Red Dwarf Toaster

I like toast with sweet butter and strawberry jam or cream cheese. I like sour rye bread, sourdough or challah.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
... mashed avocado topped with a slice of grilled bacon ...

IMHO a BLT sandwich is sent into the stratosphere by replacing the L with a few slices of avocado.

And yes to beans on toast: they can be a dish fit for a king, but they have to be Proper Beans, preferably made by Mr. Heinz, and absolutely not with molasses. [Eek!]

Over here, even the Heinz™ beans aren't quite the same as those at home, but D. came back from the supermarket the other day with a tin of something called "Heinz British Beans". We haven't tried them yet, but I'll report back.

I think I may have to go now and toast a slice of raisin bread, and spread it with M's Cumberland Rum Butter ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If they're the same thing as is sold here as Heniz English Recipe baked beans, they'll be the right stuff, Piglet.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
... mashed avocado topped with a slice of grilled bacon ...

IMHO a BLT sandwich is sent into the stratosphere by replacing the L with a few slices of avocado.

Yum. I haven't had a BLT without avocado in a long time. Just seems to make the sandwich.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
If they're the same thing as is sold here as Heniz English Recipe baked beans, they'll be the right stuff, Piglet.

I have to admit to preferring C&B Branston beans. I find them a little tastier & not quite so sweet.
I have a rolled pork joint in the slow cooker at the moment to make pulled pork, plus a batch of onion soup (recipe from Jack Monroe
see here ) to have with cheesy croutons and a bacon sandwich for lunch. Oh I'm salivating!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

Ooh, I liked the sound of those beans, Dormouse, but I've never seen them here. I'll have to check out the Treats from Home type websites. And then pay $10 a can, or something equally ridiculous.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for the tip, Dormouse. I'm going to look for those myself. Heinz beans are the only brand of beans I like these days, but they don't seem to be how I remembered them.
Melisande
Shipmate
# 4177

- Posted      Profile for Melisande   Email Melisande   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Things on toast?

THIS

Smitten Kitchen squash toasts

--------------------
The door itself makes no promises.
It is only a door.
-- Adrienne Rich

Posts: 302 | From: The western Main Line | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's amazing how the scuzzy old bits and pieces in the fridge can come together to make something really rather edible:

Possibly unrepeatable stir-fry

1 large carrot, cut in batons
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
A few mushrooms, sliced
About a tablespoon canola oil
A crushed clove of garlic
A few shakes of powdered ginger
A few drops sesame oil
A teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a splash or two of wine or sherry and a tablespoon or so of soy sauce
The meat from about a quarter of a cooked chicken, cut in bite-sized bits
A handful of nibbed almonds

Heat the oil in a wok and add the garlic, ginger and sesame oil, and stir around, without letting the garlic burn.

Add the carrots and stir-fry for a couple of minutes before adding the celery and peppers. After another minute or so add the mushrooms, followed by about half the cornflour mixture.

Add the chicken and the rest of the cornflour mixture, allow to bubble until the chicken's heated through, then stir in the almonds, and serve straight away.

[ 06. January 2015, 01:32: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The other night we had an unexpected dinner guest. Cue “what can we scrape up for dessert?” question. In our cupboard we had chocolate, sugar and eggs. Thus chocolate mousse. I hadn’t made it before and had never realised just how simple it is.

(Note: this is a raw egg recipe and thus to be avoided like the plague by the very old, young, pregnant or otherwise of fragile health.)

Melt 100g of chocolate. Separate 3 eggs and mix the yolks with the chocolate. Add a generous tablespoon of sugar. Beat the egg whites into stiff peaks and fold into the chocolate mixture. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.

The chocolate hanging around in our cupboard had little orange bits in, which wasn’t at all unpleasant in the mousse.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Chocolate Gloop
I invented this easy pud for the children at a family celebration a couple of years ago, when the actual dessert was not going to be to their tastes. The adults insisted on trying a spoonful, and now I have to make it by the bucketful so everyone gets a portion.
Quantities are very approximate.

Make 1pt very thick custard (from Mr Bird's powder or similar) with about half the recommended amount of sugar, and a tablespoon of cocoa powder mixed in with the custard powder.
Break 100g good dark chocolate into the hot custard (I usually use Lindt 70%) and stir until it is melted. Cool (place a piece of clingfilm on the surface to prevent a skin forming), When it is cold, stir in 1/2 pt double cream, then whip like Billy-Oh. Chill for an hour or so.
I served this in ready-made pastry tartlets the first couple of times, but really no one s interested in the pastry nowadays.
I expect one could jazz it up, in the absence of children, with a splash of a suitably flavoured liqueur.

[ 06. January 2015, 09:15: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I did a chocolate mousse recipe once that involved dark chocolate, cream and brandy - no eggs needed. I hadn't wanted to involve raw egg. I added some marinated cherries to the bottom of each pot before pouring the mousse in and leaving it to set in the fridge. It was extremely easy to make and very more-ish. Will see if I can find the recipe.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
By the way, Bird's custard (not the instant type, the type made up with milk) is vegan - it's basically flavoured cornflour (cornstarch). I find that the coconut non-dairy milk (not tinned coconut milk though that would probably work!) is the closest to dairy milk out of all of them, although hazelnut milk is very nice and would make a good chocolate dessert!

You can make whipped 'cream' from coconut milk (tinned type) - chill overnight and DO NOT shake the tin before opening. It will have separated and a thick, whippable coconut 'cream' will be on the top, with a thinner coconut milk underneath (which you can use in curries, hot drinks, rice pudding etc). Also, be aware that tinned coconut milk in the world food aisle of the supermarket is usually the cheapest, as opposed to Blue Dragon etc. I've also seen it in places like Home Bargains for cheaper than supermarket prices.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cheese on toast plus
8 ounces half-and-half grated cheddar & mozzarella (Gouda etc work as well)
1 flat teaspoon mustard powder
1 flat teaspoon cayenne
3 cloves of garlic, pulverised
2 beaten eggs
generous dash Angostura bitters

Toast the bread on one side, then turn and add the above mixture and heat under medium grill until top goes brown and bubbles.

On cold toast spread the following:

Mix 1 tin of smoked mussels (draining away most of oil), 2 dessert spoons of cream cheese, 3 twists of black pepper, dash of tabasco.

[ 06. January 2015, 13:08: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also concur with Roseofsharon - butter thick enough that you leave teeth marks in it is the ideal toast topping, also the ideal topping for bread/crackers etc in general! Sainsburys' farmhouse butter (found at the deli) is lovely.

I do like marmalade on toast though, blood orange marmalade is a particular treat.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Very Easy Chocolate Mousse

50g/1ľoz dark chocolate, melted, cooled slightly
splash brandy
100ml/3˝fl oz double cream, lightly whipped

For the chocolate and brandy mousse, place the melted, cooled chocolate, the brandy and the whipped double cream into a clean bowl and mix well.

I quite like to add fresh halved cherries, cooked lightly in a little brandy, to the bottom of the dish before putting the mousse in.

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
On cold toast spread the following:

Mix 1 tin of smoked mussels (draining away most of oil), 2 dessert spoons of cream cheese, 3 twists of black pepper, dash of tabasco.

This reminded me that I used to enjoy smoked mussels or oysters on soda bread, with lemon juice. Which by an amazing coincidence (mussels) is what I'm having tonight.
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
...Also, be aware that tinned coconut milk in the world food aisle of the supermarket is usually the cheapest, as opposed to Blue Dragon etc. I've also seen it in places like Home Bargains for cheaper than supermarket prices.

That's very true, but it's worth checking the coconut content on the label, which can vary from 80+% down to as little as 20%.

I'm definitely going to try whipping coconut milk though, now that I know you can.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Poached eggs on toast. But the eggs have to be perfect - the white just cooked, the yolk warm but still runny so it oozes out over the toast and you can spread it all over .... mmmm

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
...Also, be aware that tinned coconut milk in the world food aisle of the supermarket is usually the cheapest, as opposed to Blue Dragon etc. I've also seen it in places like Home Bargains for cheaper than supermarket prices.

That's very true, but it's worth checking the coconut content on the label, which can vary from 80+% down to as little as 20%.

I'm definitely going to try whipping coconut milk though, now that I know you can.

I find Caribbean brands to generally be reliable. Also supermarkets with Caribbean groceries will also have Ting (a delicious grapefruit soda, like Lilt but less sweet - marvellous with gin or alone).

Pinterest has lots of whipped coconut milk tips and recipes, as it's popular with the paleo lot.

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post 
My favourite toast topping is yesterday's chicken stew left to go gelatinous and then sliced cold. Place on hot buttered toast with a dash of Henderson's Relish (more like worcester sauce than a pickle or chutney).
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We had left-over stew on toast for tea the other day, I prefer it hot, but it was made with Henderson's Relish (from a yellow Tour de Yorkshire promotional bottle).

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Poached eggs on toast. But the eggs have to be perfect - the white just cooked, the yolk warm but still runny so it oozes out over the toast and you can spread it all over .... mmmm

This. But on marmite toast. So good.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am definitely feeling the Stuff on Toast at the moment. I made mushrooms on toast last week, I'm going to do paprika onions on toast tomorrow, and Welsh Rabbit is on the horizon. There's some good local hard cider I need to track down first. Also I will make some Sopa de Ajo at some point which is toast in soup, with poached egg (and garlic, lotsa garlic) but still.

If it was summer, tomatoes with mayo, or roasted tomatoes, or fried halloumi with tomatoes, or toasted rubbed with garlic and raw tomatoes.

It's not though, so maybe I'll make a batch of chili and serve it with toast. Better lay in some butter while I'm at it.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

When I was a student and living in halls of residence in Aberdeen, I was lucky enough to have picked the hall with good food, and breakfast on Thursdays was French toast with tinned tomatoes, which was infinitely nicer than it sounds.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

It's old but it's still good, that one-hit wonder on Toast.

I saw a "crumpet loaf" in the supermarket yesterday and was wondering about buying it to try. But wasn't convinced it would work. Standalone round crumpets seem nicer somehow than crumpets as slices of a square loaf.

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Ferdzy, that all sounds marvellous. I much prefer a savoury breakfast to a sweet one.

Today's breakfast will be eggs cooked in mushroom sauce, with toast to dip in the runny yolks.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
When I was a student and living in halls of residence in Aberdeen, I was lucky enough to have picked the hall with good food, and breakfast on Thursdays was French toast with tinned tomatoes, which was infinitely nicer than it sounds.

Well Piglet, it could not have been much worse than it sounds - but they were student days.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I only stayed in Halls (in Dundee) for a 6 week fieldwork. The lowest point breakfast was a pallid square of a vaguely eggy nature, sitting in the watery puddle from a tinned tomato.
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

IME French toast (aka eggy bread) in the UK can be sweet or savoury, but elsewhere is only sweet. Savoury eggy bread with tomatoes sounds fine.

--------------------

guinness girl

Ship's Barmaid
# 4391

- Posted      Profile for guinness girl   Email guinness girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

This. But on marmite toast. So good.
this, but topped with grated cheddar and popped under the grill until cheese is melted. Heaven! [Smile]

--------------------
supplying people with laughs at my expense since 1982!

Posts: 463 | From: Leeds, England | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have comitted a recipe I feel I must share:

I Can't Believe It's Not Crannoch

1 Quakers Instant Cuppa Porridge
2 Tablespoons (ish) Co-op Extra Thick Brandy Cream
2 Heaped Teaspoons of Cashew Nut Butter

Mix porridge with boiling water a per instructions on the packet, add everything else and stir: eat with guilty childish pleasure.

(Alternative Recipe Title: Mildly Sweet Nutty Filling Gloop.)

[ 11. January 2015, 21:47: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oops, that should be I can't believe its not Cranachan ..

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
IME French toast (aka eggy bread) in the UK can be sweet or savoury, but elsewhere is only sweet. Savoury eggy bread with tomatoes sounds fine.

Savoury egg bread with decent, fresh and properly ripened tomatoes sounds fine, but from what Piglet said, I very much had the impression that the dish consisted of the toast with a few canned tomatoes put onto it - heated perhaps, but nothing done to make them half decent.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not sure if this belongs here, so I beg your forgiveness if not. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good recipe for rabbit. Of the furry garden destroying kind, not the Welsh one. Extra points if it's Italian.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I would think you could swap rabbit for chicken in a lot of recipes - in fact here is Rabbit Cacciatore.
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

As Firenze says, treat it much as chicken, but remember that will be on the dry side - use plenty of speck or similarly fatty pork products to both add a bit of flavour, a bit of salt and to counteract the dryness. We used make a casserole in our original and smallish slow cooker with layers of floured and quickly browned rabbit interspersed with a couple of slices of mild pancetta, slow cooked onions with a bit of garlic and some chopped thyme and parsley. A bay leaf at the bottom, deglaze the pan you browned the rabbit in with a bit of white poured over the top, then 4 hours on high. All you needed with it was some plain rice, followed by a green salad, cheese and fruit.

Wild rabbit is now very hard to come by here these days. Most on the market is white NZ rabbit which is not as dry, and has a less pronounced rabbit flavour. When we visit my cousin, his wife will usually make a similar casserole from rabbit trapped on their property, and they will bring one or 2 if they visit. It freezes well both raw and cooked.

A good terrine can be made with rabbit, veal and the usual bacon (I think diced gammon in the UK) onions, garlic, brandy and herbs.

In cadet camp in final year at school, Dlet and his mates had to skin and cook rabbits which had been caught on the range. He said they was tough and dry. The moral is to remember Sam's coney casserole - keep the liquid no hotter than the slowest of simmers, and cook for a long time.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Would marinating help ? Als you can rub those gel stock cubes on meat to five it a bit of flavour - prolly a chicken one in the case of rabbit.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Don't know gel stock cubes, but the others are well.... And the flavour of rabbit is good.

Looking at the Rabbit Cacciatore again, I think I'd use black olives - less acid, more oil.

[ 12. January 2015, 10:01: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Weather here today is awful with a capital Awf. I have just put on a mad take on a ribollita with leek and neep as well as tomato, onion, celery, white wine and herbs. And some Parmesan rinds.

To this I will presently add chickpeas and sourdough bread and even more Parmesan.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Don't know gel stock cubes, but the others are well.... And the flavour of rabbit is good.

Depends on the rabbit. It can often be quite tasteless over here, but I think that has to do with the more readily available kind (not that it's exactly something you see on sale a lot) being frozen and imported.

Agree with you about the olives. Nobody likes green olives, anyway.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Nobody likes green olives, anyway.

Nothing wrong with a green olive - if it's wrapped in a Martini.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Green olives are the most popular here with all the family, though the children don't get the added benefit of a martini. I find most types have a sharper, cleaner flavour than the black ones.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I love green olives, far prefer them to the black - my favourite is green olives stuffed with whole cloves of garlic!

YUMMY!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016