homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: The Next Course: recipe thread 2015 (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: The Next Course: recipe thread 2015
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I never soak it in anything - but I expect that it depends on the source and how fast it has been running over the years and whether you have a piece of the hard working muscles or not. And how long it has been hung. I always make casseroles with it, slow cooking.

Cranberry would be much better than raspberry, which would be much too sweet, I think, Redcurrant is traditional to serve with meat, and raspberry definitely not.

I usually slosh some red wine in as well.

Gorgonzola is a blue cheese, like Stilton or Danish blue, (or what I have in my fridge which wasn't blue to start with) and has a softish texture, not like Cheddar, but not like Brie or that sort of thing, either.

[ 23. November 2015, 19:49: Message edited by: Penny S ]

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would think cranberry jelly would be fine, as long as it's not too sweet.

I rather like slow-cooked venison casserole, and use the following recipe.

1kg (2lb) stewing venison, chunked
150ml (1/4 pt) red wine
100ml (4fl oz) vegetable oil
12 juniper berries (don't use these as don't have any!)
4 cloves
8 balck peppercorns
1 garlic clove, skinned & crushed
25g (4oz) streaky bacon rashers, chopped
2 medium onions, chopped
30ml (2 level tbsp) flour
150ml (1/4 pt) beef stock
30ml (2 tbsp.) redcurrant jelly
seasoning

Marinade venison with the wine, half the oil, juniper berries, cloves, peppercorns & garlic for at least 24hr.
Heat remaining oil in flameproof casserole dish, strain venison from marinade & fry in batches until coloured.
Add onions & bacon & fry, then add flour and cook off for a couple of mins.
Remove from heat, and gradually stir in stock, redcurrant jelly & the marinade. Bring to boil slowly and cook until thickened. Return venison to casserolle & season.
Chuck in oven at 170C/375F/Gas3 for 3hrs until venison is tender.
Garnish with chopped parsley & serve with extra jelly, braised cabbage & creamed/mashed potato.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for these suggestions! Our supermarket does a generic looking blue cheese, so I'll try that.

Kingsfold, your recipe looks very similar to the one I have, so I'll marinade it before I cook too.

I think it must have been a fairly young deer, as my brother in law was joking that he felt inadequate when he took his deer in to be processed compared to the size of some of the other deer coming in, so I'm guessing it should be fairly tender.

[ 23. November 2015, 20:36: Message edited by: AngloCatholicGirl ]

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by AngloCatholicGirl:
I'm struggling to track down red currant jam for a slow cooked venison stew.

You can order red currant jam from Amazon, but it's not cheap.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Red current jam (with seeds) or jelly (without seeds)? It's fairly common to see fruit jelly of one kind or another with a roast, but I've never heard of using jam. And I'll admit I've never heard of red current jam (which of course is definitive, right?).

Both ED SMith and Smuckers make a vast array of jams and jellies, and one of them or both might make a red current jelly.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would say it should be redcurrant jelly: certainly here it would tend to be a little less sweet, and just melts into the casserole liquid.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of the Christmas cake recipes I use most (but not my personal favourite because it's boring) is an easy mix rum and raisin cake which is in an old book I have by my favourite NZ writer of recipes Dame Alison Holst. It calls for a kilo of raisins and 2 eggs and is baked in a 20cm cake tin. Recently I checked to see whether it was online and it is, except that this version has 3 eggs and is cooked in a 23cm tin at a slightly lower temp.

What difference would the extra egg make to the texture of the cake?

I'm a bit loath to try it at this stage because of the limited time and the cost of ingredients, but I am curious.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a slight issue. I will be going to my brother's house for Christmas dinner. The main course will be duck. I have been asked to bring a soup (as making soups is one of my few culinary skills).

So what would be a good soup to pair with duck?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Duck is fairly rich, so I would be inclined to preface with either a clear soup, or a light vegetable one. Or possibly even a gazpacho.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks. I was thinking lighter was the way to go. I was considering making a test batch of tomato dill soup to see if it will measure up.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree - maybe a lightweight minestrone-type? Fairly light, tomatoey broth with veggies but go easy on the pasta (or even leave it out altogether)?

Or as it's a special occasion, what about a consommé?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I once had a recipe for "Green vegetable SOup".

Sweat some chopped onions in a little oil or butter. Add any quantity of assorted green vegetables, appropriate herbs and chicken stock to cover (or a little more). Bring to a light boil, reduce to simmer and cover. COok until the vegetable are soft. Pulverize... sorry make that Puree the vegetables in the stock. Correct the seasoning (white pepper was mentioned in the original). Thin if necessary, or add milk/cream.

The time for cooking has to do with which vegetable you use -- spinach takes just a few minutes, brocolli a great deal longer. So be careful which vegetable you choose to mix. For example, if you put broc and spinach together, the spinach is going to be dark green slime long before the broc is ready to puree.

John

(ETA)

I imagine you could use peas (frozen if necessary) and mint as the main seasoning, which could be quite light and refreshing even with a tablespoon of sour cream in each bowl. Just make sure you string the pods (if using) before you put them in the stock. Otherwise you get little strings that are the very devil to try and puree.

J

[ 01. December 2015, 20:27: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Just as a personal preference, I try to avoid cream/milk in soups (although I have a very, very good tomato bisque recipe that uses heavy cream).

The tomato dill recipe I mentioned involves puree-ing (if that is a proper word). That is why I want to make a test batch--to make sure that doesn't turn the soup too thick. The consistency of a consommé would be perfect for duck. I have a recipe for a Garlic Consommé, but I hesitate to spring loads of garlic on people at a dinner party.

ETA: I also have personal hang-ups with gazpacho. I agree the consistency would be perfect, but there are very few cold soups that I find acceptable, and those tend to be fruit based, like a sour cherry soup.

[ 01. December 2015, 21:00: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What about a watercress soup? It has a bite and watercress is a traditional garnish for roast duck. Normally it contains cream and potatoes but you could easily leave out the cream and use fewer potatoes to make it thinner.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What about a light Chinese-style broth? I have had success with this recipe for Hot Sour Corn Soup. I think the original recipe said to add noodles to make it a hearty meal, but I find it works as a light soup without the noodles.

1 small tin sweetcorn
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 mild red chilli, seeded and sliced
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 stalks lemongrass
3 spring onions
1/2 red pepper
4 mushrooms, finely sliced into 'umbrellas'
400ml can coconut milk
850ml vegetable stock
2 kaffir lime leaves
juice of 1 lime
small bunch coriander

Chop or slice the chilli, shallot, spring onions, mushrooms, and red pepper. Heat the oil in a large pan, and add the sliced vegetables, together with the lemongrass. Cook for 3-4 minutes.

Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock, and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lemongrass stalks and the lime leaves.

Remove from heat, and if serving immediately, stir in the lime juice and coriander. (Or leave the coriander separate for guests to add themselves - some people don't like it.) Add salt if necessary. If serving later, add the lime juice and coriander only when you reheat.

Serves 4.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today for dinner, a chili -- that is assuming that the definition of the dish is something that involves beans and chile powder. Black beans, pork belly, chorizo sausage, two bottles of beer, and an wauntity of spices, from a recipe in the Guardian.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You surely won't go too far wrong with those ingredients Brenda.... such a chili cannot help but be delicious!
Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It is very well-flavored but possibly a little soupy -- I just dumped in 2 bottles of beer without measuring, since what could I do with a third of a bottle of beer? Except drink it, of course. I am certain that sitting around will dry it out some, as the beans absorb juice.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That sounds marvellous - I will have to try it minus the beans.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've made a small ( about 10cm long) fruit cake shaped as a steam engine to go on top of the Christmas cake. Just looking for advice on how to ice it and keep the shape. It has far too many fiddly bits on it for marzipan. Any ideas/advice greatfully received. [Help]

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I've made a small ( about 10cm long) fruit cake shaped as a steam engine to go on top of the Christmas cake. Just looking for advice on how to ice it and keep the shape. It has far too many fiddly bits on it for marzipan. Any ideas/advice greatfully received. [Help]

I replied on the steam locomotive thread.

Use a forcing bag with a star-shaped tip. Place the stars so close together that they touch.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

To update from my earlier posts: I did go with a tomato dill soup and it turned out well:

Ingredients:
● 28 ounce whole peeled plum tomatoes
● 1 medium onion, chopped
● 1 clove garlic, minced
● 1 tsp salt
● 1/4 tsp black pepper
● 1 tsp sugar
● 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
● 1 tbsp tomato paste
● 1/3 cup water
● 1 1/3 cup chicken stock

So put the tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt & pepper, sugar, dill, tomato paste and water in the pot. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or so. Then add the chicken stock. Transfer to blender and puree. Return to the pot and re-heat.

I apologize for the funky 1/3 cup measures. I have been tweaking this recipe for years. It started out based on one in the NY Time Cookbook--but that recipe had cream and macaroni in it, and a lot less dill. Oh, and it was cold. As I mentioned upthread, I don't really like cold soups or cream soups, and I am not wild about macaroni. But taking all of that out forced me to compensate in the liquids...hence the weird measures--and adding stuff like the sugar.

I suspect I am done tampering with the recipe now. I rather like how I have it.

Meanwhile, I am a few days into making maraschino cherries using Brenda Clough's recipe (see upthread circa October 30). They should be ready for tasting around January 3.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made some mulled apple syrup a few months ago which has come in useful for constructing hot toddies with pale rum, ginger (grated or syrup), the juice of a clementine and hot water.

To be drunk purely for medicinal purposes you understand [Biased]

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having been given a packet of Arborio rice and a book of risotto recipes as part of a Christmas present, I had my first attempt at making a proper risotto today, and it really wasn't bad.

I flavoured it with saffron and home-made chicken stock, and put in onion, garlic, a grilled and peeled red pepper and some defrosted frozen peas.

D. reckoned that it could have done with some chicken (I'd probably have put some in if I'd had any), but for a first attempt I was rather pleased. I might well try a chicken and mushroom one next.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could do with ideas of easy desserts for a crowd (one of whom doesn't like cream) to be cooked in someone else's kitchen with the chef half cut (like as not).

My mind was running on some sort of galette - ie puff pastry topped with some sort of custard? Marzipan? Then probably tinned apricots or peaches, and a glaze.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I could do with ideas of easy desserts for a crowd (one of whom doesn't like cream) to be cooked in someone else's kitchen with the chef half cut (like as not).

How about this apple/caramel flan banoffee pie variant:

Bake a pastry case (could be done in advance). Mille Feuille would work pretty well, I think.

Boil a couple of tins of condensed milk for 3 hours or so to make caramel (can (should) be done in advance, but you'll want to boil them again for 10 minutes or so before opening so the caramel is soft).

Take pastry case, spread on thin caramel layer, slice apples thinly and layer, then cover with the rest of the caramel and leave to chill until required.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
Mille Feuille would work pretty well, I think.

I meant to write filo pastry here, but it seems as though my brain was heading down other tasty avenues...
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

My mind was running on some sort of galette - ie puff pastry topped with some sort of custard? Marzipan? Then probably tinned apricots or peaches, and a glaze.

A crumble would be easy and unmuckupable, despite the merriment...
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
A crumble would be easy and unmuckupable, despite the merriment...

Don't bet on it. I've never mastered the secret of a good crumble.

Pity about the cream. Profiteroles are lovely.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I thought I had it sorted - ginger cake soaked in rum, topped with pears and custard, cream and toasted almonds. Turns out Waitrose only have fancy iced ginger cake instead of the plain slab required - so I shall have to go out to Tesco in what promises to be horizontal gales tomorrow.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ginger cake soaked in rum? Sounds gorgeous.
Depends how fancy you want things to be- there's always the standbys of fruit flan - bought flan, covered in drained tinned fruit cocktail, use the juice to make up appropriately coloured Quickjel to cover the fruit. Very quick, and can look really nice.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Day saved. As we were walking back - a tad unsteadily - from a very nice Turkish restaurant, we espied a Tesco which had Jamacia ginger cake at half price.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016